• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the show was focused on soldiers in the IDF and their pursuit of Palestinian terrorists in the West Bank. My old man says its a great thriller and it filled the void that 24 and Homeland once filled.

Having read the premise blurb on Google, I am worried about how it portrays the Palestinians

Is it anti-Palestinian propaganda?

Should I continue to be non committal about watching it?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the show was focused on soldiers in the IDF and their pursuit of Palestinian terrorists in the West Bank. My old man says its a great thriller and it filled the void that 24 and Homeland once filled.

Having read the premise blurb on Google, I am worried about how it portrays the Palestinians

I did see this tweet come across my timeline the other day. Poster sure as hell calls it a "Zionist" show so I guess it very well could be. I can't say anything first hand.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My father is watching it and said the israelis always win, so I guess yes?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

What's your dad's opinion on Palestinians?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I stay away from any show or movie if its based on a countries armed forces. It almost always guaranteed to be propaganda bullshit.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
It's an Israeli show developed by two ex-IDF soldiers.

Unlike every other depiction of Palestine in the media, surely this one will be fair and not Israeli propaganda. [/sarcasm]

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
From my understanding of the show it's based of the experiences of former IDF soldiers so i have no doubt there is a bias from that point of view.

in.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 months): dismissing the impact of media on reality perception and biases in a thread about islamophobia
Is it fiction? If it is fiction, why does it matter? It's fake.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow, this is reminding me of Hatufim, the series on which Homeland was based, and that it never got a season 3. :(

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It's sort of an Israeli version of Homeland, so if you didn't have a problem with how the terrorists are portrayed in that show, you shouldn't have a problem here. The IDF generally always comes out on top, but they're not entirely characterized as "the good guys" - as is the case with the American characters on Homeland, it's complicated. There are several non-terrorist Palestinian characters and even the terrorist characters are fairly three dimensional and you always understand their motivations for doing what they're doing and even sympathize with them at times (much more so than in Homeland).

To be fair, Israel itself is also often subject to the yellow filter in media.

Including in Fauda!

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh my. The number of comments in this thread from people who have not watched it.

OP.

It's a really good show. Series 1 and 2 are really good. Three is at the moment a bit same same.

It's not overly one sided and it kinda does an ok job of playing both sides.

It's worth watching and then you can make up your own mind

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the first ep and bailed, it was an entertaining show but the political propaganda was too blatant to bear.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has produced a lot of pro-Israel propaganda disguised as prestige drama.

also don't feed the the troll with 170 posts that's been here for years and has no avatar.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I watched some of it, while it's not really for me these comments calling it Zionist propaganda and islamophobic (a word that has lost all meaning at this point) by people who clearly didn't even bother watching it are the hot takes I came to expect here. Like some said, it tries to be Homeland in Israel and Palestine and it's not bad.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
It was all my high school Hebrew teachers favorite show, they were obsessed with it (I went to a Jewish high school, and you could derail entire classes by bringing up Fauda lmao). Take that as you will, though I admit I haven't even seen a full episode.

A really underrated Israeli TV show that definitely depicts Palestinians fairly is "Our Boys." It covers the true story of the kidnapping and murder of Mohammed Abu Khdeir (a young Palestinian boy), which happened in retaliation for the prior kidnapping and murder of 3 Jewish boys. Really gets to the cyclical nature of violent conflicts and how the resulting cruelty effects the innocent and vulnerable the most. It's really heartbreaking and I'd highly recommend it, it's on HBO. Netanyahu called for a boycott of the show so you know it's gotta be good.

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I watched some of it, while it's not really for me these comments calling it Zionist propaganda and islamophobic (a word that has lost all meaning at this point) by people who clearly didn't even bother watching it are the hot takes I came to expect here. Like some said, it tries to be Homeland in Israel and Palestine and it's not bad.

What has you confused about the word islamophobic? It's very simple.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Idk.
It obviously leans on the Israeli side hard, but I've heard an interview with Lior Raz (the main actor and writer) who said they're getting a lot of flak in Israel for being "too sympathetic" to Palestinians, and I kinda see it.
Israeli aren't painted as perfect good guys in this, and Palestinians (especially the people caught up in the whole madness of blood feuds and hatred) aren't moustache twirling villains.

My main takeaway from this show was that everyone in it is batshit insane.
Also half the main cast including Raz are veterans of the actual Duvdevan unit, so you can expect it to be somewhat closer to reality than 24.

in.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Propaganda in media influences people. Why do you think Nazis or KKK or other extremist terrorist groups bothered to make films, art, books, etc?
...and? This doesn't seem to be an issue for the OP, if they're already aware that it might be propaganda, how is it going to affect them?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
What has you confused about the word islamophobic? It's very simple.
Oh you mean throwing out "Islamophobia" at anything Middle East-related, even a Netflix show you haven't watched. And already another user is implying that just me saying that probably means I'm some muslim hating zionist. Very simple.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sort of an Israeli version of Homeland, so if you didn't have a problem with how the terrorists are portrayed in that show, you shouldn't have a problem here. The IDF generally always comes out on top, but they're not entirely characterized as "the good guys" - as is the case with the American characters on Homeland, it's complicated. There are several non-terrorist Palestinian characters and even the terrorist characters are fairly three dimensional and you always understand their motivations for doing what they're doing and even sympathize with them at times (much more so than in Homeland).

Including in Fauda!
Oh my. The number of comments in this thread from people who have not watched it.

OP.

It's a really good show. Series 1 and 2 are really good. Three is at the moment a bit same same.

It's not overly one sided and it kinda does an ok job of playing both sides.

It's worth watching and then you can make up your own mind
Idk.
It obviously leans on the Israeli side hard, but I've heard an interview with Lior Raz (the main actor and writer) who said they're getting a lot of flak in Israel for being "too sympathetic" to Palestinians, and I kinda see it.
Israeli aren't painted as perfect good guys in this, and Palestinians (especially the people caught up in the whole madness of blood feuds and hatred) aren't moustache twirling villains.

My main takeaway from this show was that everyone in it is batshit insane.
Also half the main cast including Raz are veterans of the actual Duvdevan unit, so you can expect it to be somewhat closer to reality than 24.

These are the only good takes in this thread because they are from people who have clearly watched it and have informed opinions, instead of people coming in here and immediately assuming things about it.

Like a show coming out of Israel, focused on the IDF is impossible to also have some perspective and depict the enemy as humans too, or itself as imperfect. Come on guys. You know there's tons of things that are America centric and depicts it's enemies as the worst in the world mustache twirling baddies. If 24 is okay, then so is this. And to be honest I think this show feels a lot more realistic AND fair to the "bad guys" than 24 ever did.

Watch it with an open mind, it's pretty good. And I definitely wouldn't call it propaganda.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Define Islamophobia.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
24 and Homeland are both horrible pieces of propaganda. I hate them.

I am also not personally interested in engaging with any media that has the IDF as protagonists. Especially when it takes a "both sides" perspective. It's not both sides, it's just fucking Israel.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
These are the only good takes in this thread because they are from people who have clearly watched it and have informed opinions, instead of people coming in here and immediately assuming things about it.

Like a show coming out of Israel, focused on the IDF is impossible to also have some perspective and depict the enemy as humans too, or itself as imperfect. Come on guys. You know there's tons of things that are America centric and depicts it's enemies as the worst in the world mustache twirling baddies. If 24 is okay, then so is this. And to be honest I think this show feels a lot more realistic AND fair to the "bad guys" than 24 ever did.

Watch it with an open mind, it's pretty good. And I definitely wouldn't call it propaganda.

24 is NOT okay. It's been widely critisized for the exact reason you are trying to use it as justification for.

Aya

Wow lol you can clearly see in this thread who watched it and could give an opinion and who didn't but are already posting opinions and hot takes all around. It's like a school day test where most haven't read the book they are supposed to comment on, but hey, it's got a title so let's write down fast whatever we can think of about said title, we'll get a passing grade for sure.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
I stay away from any show or movie if its based on a countries armed forces. It almost always guaranteed to be propaganda bullshit.
The bureau is pretty good, french espionage series that starts at a very slow speed before going full action thriller. Considering they show the french torturing their own agents it's not that heavy on the propaganda side.