• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
Look I'm a straight male and don't have any problem with gays at all but this guy makes gay jokes towards me every fucking day and it's getting tiresome.

Everyday he's telling me how I would like to kiss men, that I have secret boyfriends and blah blah blah.

All I do is look bored and say "Ok dude" . Not even in middle school the jokes were ame.

I'm the type of guy who doesn't give a shit and can take jokes pretty easy but when it's the same shit going for weeks it's annoying.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Tell him this isn't acceptable and he needs to quit it or you'll file a complaint.

Dec 31, 2017
User warned: inflammatory comments
Breh your coworker is pulling out middle school level shit.

to the point where I think he's into you.

"I bet you would like to kiss MEN! hahahaha...would you?"

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
User warned: inflammatory comments
Hah, you want to kiss men! I'm a man. But not me of course, other men. Definitely not me, right? Just other men? Yeah. Good! Phew.

I think you're in there, pal.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell him to knock it off and that his jokes aren't funny. I wouldn't put up with that crap for a few days let alone weeks.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
If he won't stop, file a complaint.

Also, let's cut out the "I bet he's actually gay!" tripe. Assuming all homophobes are secretly gay is homophobic.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say walk right past him and caress his hand. See how he reacts then report back.

Seriously tho, it honestly may be some projecting. Either way, try saying something as it may get even more uncomfortable not only for you, but for the workplace.

OhMoveOver

Oct 5, 2018
Woah with everyone assuming he is gay ? I mean this is the kinda shit my friends who supported me as a gay guy in school had to deal with .

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
He is out of order on a number of levels. He's suggesting that "gay" is somehow "lesser" and it's funny to be gay. He's harassing you. He's belittling you.

Unless he's gay, in which it is straight up sexual harassment. If you're laughing along, that's fine, but people need to know when people don't find shit funny.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
like others have said, he's out of line and also potentially into you. I would tell him that it makes you uncomfortable as you are just trying to work, but if he continues you should file a complaint.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
U work with Donnie Azoff

on a serious note.... tell him to shut the fuck up

Oct 27, 2017
Document every time this happens. Get a track record at least a week's worth. Go to HR and report him and get record of the report as proof. Then if they do nothing - sue the fucking company into the dirt.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
You have to pull him aside an explain to him in the most serious way possible the reasons it's wrong what he's doing. And not just that it's annoying but the implication that if you were gay it would be a negative is wrong in itself. Let him know if he insists on continuing then you will have no choice but to report him. If he doesn't change after that then you should indeed report him.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Please don't attempt to kiss him or caress his hand.

Just tell him to quit it with those types of jokes cause you don't find them funny. If he continues, tell him again and add that you're gonna report it if he does it again.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to pull him aside an explain to him in the most serious way possible the reasons it's wrong what he's doing. And not just that it's annoying but the implication that if you were gay it would be a negative is wrong in itself. Let him know if he insists on continuing then you will have no choice but to report him. If he doesn't change after that then you should indeed report him.

Screw that. It sounds like the harassment is constant. It's not like it's a one off. I would report him anyway.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Screw that. It sounds like the harassment is constant. It's not like it's a one off. I would report him anyway.
The coworker sounds like an asshole but the OP post this because he's not that dude who wants to get someone in trouble or else he would have done it already. I'm suggesting that by speaking with the dude, OP will have cleared his conscience of the repercussions of reporting his coworker. He would have explained how he felt and gave his coworker a chance to correct himself.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Look I'm a straight male and don't have any problem with gays at all but this guy makes gay jokes towards me every fucking day and it's getting tiresome.

Everyday he's telling me how I would like to kiss men, that I have secret boyfriends and blah blah blah.

All I do is look bored and say "Ok dude" . Not even in middle school the jokes were ame.

I'm the type of guy who doesn't give a shit and can take jokes pretty easy but when it's the same shit going for weeks it's annoying.

well its bullying, simply not acceptable in the workplace.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's sexual harassment without a doubt. Are you the only one he bothers with that shit or are there other coworkers who get the same "jokes." You should be firm and tell him to knock it off though.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
This is straight up sexual harassment.
I believe the policy of where I work would be:
1 - tell him to knock it off
2 - if #1 doesnt work or you don't feel safe telling him, escalate to HR

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Man, people constantly do this to me. I've even had the housekeeping guy joke around and grab my penis multiple times (he doesn't do it anymore) acting like I like it (I hate it, and it gives me intense anxiety). I really wish I could speak up about it, but my severe anxiety just lets it be. Fuck

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This wouldn't fly even in junior high school, talk to him and tell him you're about to report him to HR hopefully you don't work for Yves Guillemot
Even if it's a "haha joking unless" situation, that's harassment.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He is seriously hitting on you. Also you should report it.

Man, people constantly do this to me. I've even had the housekeeping guy joke around and grab my penis multiple times (he doesn't do it anymore) acting like I like it (I hate it, and it gives me intense anxiety). I really wish I could speak up about it, but my severe anxiety just lets it be. Fuck

The housekeeping guy? You should speak to someone - don't worry about calling anyone out yet and causing a scene - but you do need to let someone know this is happening to get perspective on it. It sounds like this could be fueling your anxiety.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That's assault , I'm really sorry this is happening to you, is there anyone around you you can got to for support? Even just to talk about it?

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like something my group of friends would do in back in 2000, when we were 12. Is he stuck in that time period or something.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Sit him down, talk to him, explain to him this is one of three things: homophobia, sexual harrassment or bullying. Tell him he either stops or you file a complaint.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
You should give them a stern warning and report it if they don't listen, imo.

Imagine if you saw them talking to a coworker this way. It's completely unprofessional and also reprehensible/sexual harassment.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
This kind of "joking" was extremely common where I grew up - conservative Catholic area. Existed at Penn State too. When I came to the DC area I met new people and just never seemed to come across it as much.

My passive aggressive approach was eventually to just be like "sure I'm gay" and not let it bother me. Honestly after gaining enough knowledge it didn't, but it sucked when I still had internalized some of those Catholic beliefs.

I just always hoped kids and adults too wouldn't have to deal with that shit anymore. I was born in 83.

Edit: while I suppose someone doing this could be closeted, I think it's generally just a sign of insecurity. I knew a guy who couldn't admit if one man (e.g. Jimmy Garappolo) was more attractive than another (e.g. Jim Jordan). I guess that's toxic masculinity.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is unfortunately common in my age range. I grew up in the late 90's so "gay jokes" were extremely common.

So now we're all damn near middle age and should know better, but there's still always that one asshole making the gay jokes in the office. And they still don't get fired, even in this day and age.