• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
So one of the contracts at my job has implemented cameras for the people working from home. They have to have the camera on while they work and the supervisor/manager is monitoring them the entire time.

With this contract, apparently productivity was down and their were concerns about what they were doing while working. It's been a month of them having cameras on, and now there are talks of bringing this to another WFH contract my company runs.

It seems like this is a test run that is slowly spreading to different contracts here. I can understand why they would bring it to these contracts, but I hope it doesn't move to mine. I feel like this would be gross to be monitored while at home. I'd rather go back to the office or quit if this became mandatory.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah if this was implemented in my job i would probably just quit, but i have the luxury to do so

even if i'm at the office i'm not going to be watched at all times, not a chance in hell

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds so illegal lol but I assume it's the US so it's probably fine and nobody will care

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that'd be a dealbreaker for me tbh

If you need me to work faster tell me, don't try and babysit me

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
If I had enough savings to do so I'd probably quit immediately. If I didn't I'd be furiously updating my resume/cv and sending out dozens of applications.

That shit is disgusting, honestly.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fuck that noise

i don't want people to see this (or be forced to stop this)

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
managers getting to sit around looking at monitors blankly while cashing bigger checks than the people doing the work?

sounds damn right american to me.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
WFH is here to stay and there are going to be new ways to ensure people are doing their jobs instead of fucking off. It's the reality of having coworkers that ruin it for everyone. If it's a camera or specific software to track productivity, places are going to start implementing some sort of measures to effectively supervise people.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like their strategy is to have poor management and then not know how to fix it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is a sign of poor/terrible management.

It's a justification for unnecessary management.

9s7EPNl.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels morally abhorrent, probably illegal, and something that's happened because old men with too much money need to squeeze more dollars out of you.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
This is a sign of poor/terrible management.

Oh yeah, I left one of these contracts earlier this year and moved to my current one. Way better management, team cohesion, and less stressful. My current team is super productive, and I don't see a need why they would want to bring this to us.

hope they enjoy nudity

I was just joking about this to a coworker, haha. Like I've gotten way to comfortable working from home. Managers don't need to see that 😂

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Massive, massive red flag.

managers getting to sit around looking at monitors blankly while cashing bigger checks than the people doing the work?

sounds damn right american to me.

"Yeah we have lazy people working for us they're so lazy oh my god I can't believe how lazy they are so we're gonna install a camera to watch them work and you're gonna watch them work all day, this is really hard work"

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Wooow hahahha I cannot imagine that. Unreal to demand to have video inside someones home, working or not.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that most jobs are begging for people to apply. You can probably find another job.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they "measured productivity" in the first place, I bet it's some ridiculous metric that ultimately doesn't matter compared to the work they are actually trying to do without middle-managers breathing down people's necks.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
That's really gross. Funny how all that "healthy work-life balance" talk gets thrown out the window in cases like these.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
can you imagine?

you're some higher-up looking at all these companies losing employees because they're finally fed up and putting their foot down.

you see that and then you decide "hey, lets put cameras on our employees"