• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
When cats pull shit like this it's one of the most annoying and frustrating things to have to deal with. It's honestly one of the reasons I haven't gotten another cat. If you have ruled out possible medical reasons for it then it's probably behavioral and that can be a bitch to sort out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they keep peeing in the exact same spot, it's likely either a territory thing or an "I'm mad at you" kind of thing. My old roommate's cat used to do the same thing with one of my rugs - he'd pee in the exact same spot over and over again until it started to stain the floorboard underneath the rug.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Lavender is supposed to deter them. My cats hate air freshener so I'll spray that around where I want them to not piss. Seems to work.

OP
OP
sph3re

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
She's currently sleeping in my computer chair, but I'm not against this idea
When cats pull shit like this it's one of the most annoying and frustrating things to have to deal with. It's honestly one of the reasons I haven't gotten another cat. If you have ruled out possible medical reasons for it then it's probably behavioral and that can be a bitch to sort out.
Damn. Anybody have the number for the Cat Whisperer?
If they keep peeing in the exact same spot, it's likely either a territory thing or an "I'm mad at you" kind of thing. My old roommate's cat used to do the same thing with one of my rugs - he'd pee in the exact same spot over and over again until it started to stain the floorboard underneath the rug.
I've heard that "I'm mad at you" thing before. This is sounding likely, but I can't understand what she might be mad at me for.
Did you change the litter to a different brand recently? Cats can be picky with that sometimes.
Same litter.
Pee on the same spot and assert your dominance over the territory
Before or after I poop on it?
Lavender is supposed to deter them. My cats hate air freshener so I'll spray that around where I want them to not piss. Seems to work.
Lavender smells alright, I'll consider this.
how many litter boxes do you have?
2 litter boxes. Should I get a third?

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
Cute cats! I would put a litter box in each room of the house temporarily and see if that helps. Have you noticed if she is stressed lately? Do the other cats bully her?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
My cat has zero behavioral issues and uses the litter box no matter what. I have no idea what it takes to get a cat to misbehave like this, assuming it's not a UTI, but make sure you use a pet stain cleaner that chemically dissolves the territorial aroma markers they use. Start positively incentivizing the litter box more with things like cat nip, maybe, and don't let the cat on the couch unsupervised until it consistently urinates in its litter box instead.

Oct 26, 2017
I highly recommend one litter bot per cat. If you want to play it extra safe, check your cat for a UTI. I also think there is stuff you can buy and spray in certain areas that cats hate the smell of. Keeps them away from problem areas. And lastly, with 2 litter boxes and three cats, make sure you clean the litter boxes regularly.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Cats doing this is usually a sign of a mental or bodily condition. Monitor her, and if it persists or if she is behaving unusually, take her to a vet.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Litterbox is clean, so it's not that. She's pretty aloof and spends most of her time with my mom, so I don't think it's attention. I don't know what to do with this fluffy little shit.

Obligatory pic of my kitties (the culprit is the top-left one)
First of all one cat needs two litter boxes, secondly:Put a litterbox next to the spot she pees. Test different litters with different boxes.

Take your cat to the vet and get her tested for urinal infections.

Make sure your cat isnt territorial due to the presents of other cats who are seen as invaders.

Clean up the spot properly with pet pee remover that operates on bacteria bases. Check the rest of the house iM certain there is more

OP
OP
sph3re

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"Just so you know who is charge here"
That little shit
Its a urinary tract infection most likely. Take the cat to a vet.
I'll set up an appointment, if nothing else works. Sooner rather than later.
Cute cats! I would put a litter box in each room of the house temporarily and see if that helps. Have you noticed if she is stressed lately? Do the other cats bully her?
She's actually a bit of a bully to her brothers sometimes, lol.

I should stress that it's not everywhere around the house: it's specifically my seat on the couch.
My cat has zero behavioral issues and uses the litter box no matter what. I have no idea what it takes to get a cat to misbehave like this, assuming it's not a UTI, but make sure you use a pet stain cleaner that chemically dissolves the territorial aroma markers they use. Start positively incentivizing the litter box more with things like cat nip, maybe, and don't let the cat on the couch unsupervised until it consistently urinates in its litter box instead.
I got up to take a leak and she hopped on the couch and took a piss. I don't know what I did wrong ;_; I'll consider the catnip thing.
Are you sure it's not a medical thing? When my cat peed outside her litter box I took her to the vet and she had a urinary tract infection.
It might be, but it's not anywhere else in the house. Just my seat.
Pee on top of it. Show them who's the alpha in the house. Mark your territory.
I think this is the best idea in the thread tbh

You make sure she doesn't have a UTI
Agreed
I highly recommend one litter bot per cat. If you want to play it extra safe, check your cat for a UTI. I also think there is stuff you can buy and spray in certain areas that cats hate the smell of. Keeps them away from problem areas. And lastly, with 2 litter boxes and three cats, make sure you clean the litter boxes regularly.
I've got this Black Diamond "Ur-In Control" spray that I'm spraying on the couch. I sprayed some on last night and she peed on the couch this morning.

...Could it be the spray, maybe?
sit in her litter box and pretend that's your new spot.
Okay, second best idea in the thread.
Cats doing this is usually a sign of a mental or bodily condition. Monitor her, and if it persists or if she is behaving unusually, take her to a vet.
Will do!
First of all one cat needs two litter boxes, secondly:Put a litterbox next to the spot she pees. Test different litters with different boxes.

Take your cat to the vet and get her tested for urinal infections.

Make sure your cat isnt territorial due to the presents of other cats who are seen as invaders.

Clean up the spot properly with pet pee remover that operates on bacteria bases. Check the rest of the house iM certain there is more
I'll ask my parents and see if they smell pee anywhere else.
Change your spot on the couch. Problem half-solved.
But my TV is perfectly aligned with my spot on the couch... what am I supposed to do? Angle my TV slightly? Who do you take me for, a sucker? (I'm mostly kidding, but my seat reclines and I'll be damned if I move for this cat)

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
Does the peeing happen in front of you, at night when you're sleeping, or randomly?

One of my cats would pee the couch at night because I kept my bedroom door closed while sleeping. The cat would meow like crazy wanting in, and would piss on the couch if I didn't open the door.

One time the little A-Hole shit on the couch right in front of me, but that's other story.

My cats also don't like dirty litter boxes, so if it wasn't clean then they would find an alternate place to go.

Young cats can be a handful. You have to figure out what's triggering them and go from there They can be trained so don't give up hope.

My cats haven't peed on anything in 7 years.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
The big problem with cat piss is once it's there, it's hard to get rid of. Stuff is toxic smelling but man, cats can SMELL it. You honestly might need to get a new couch.

My mom accidentally locked one of our cats in a bathroom for a day, and he wound up peeing in the bathtub. We cleaned it as best we could, but that other cat was like "I have to get in here adn smell this and maybe piss here too." Had to keep the bathroom door shut for like two solid months until things naturally cleared out to get both cats to stop acting like complete freakazoids.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big problem with cat piss is once it's there, it's hard to get rid of. Stuff is toxic smelling but man, cats can SMELL it. You honestly might need to get a new couch.

My mom accidentally locked one of our cats in a bathroom for a day, and he wound up peeing in the bathtub. We cleaned it as best we could, but that other cat was like "I have to get in here adn smell this and maybe piss here too." Had to keep the bathroom door shut for like two solid months until things naturally cleared out to get both cats to stop acting like complete freakazoids.

What are your cats usernames on Era?

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Once they use somewhere as a bathroom you have to clean the fuck out of it, or they'll smell their scent and use it again and again. If you seriously want to keep them away from it, put some on or near it. Smells like potpourri to us, smells like devil orange to them.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I have this same problem with my cat, but she does it on my bed. Can't get her to stop, she always does it when I'm not looking. The only solution was to keep the door closed so she can't go in there anymore.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya. I thinks she's mad at you.....
along time ago my dog shit right in front of my bedroom. And that was like the first time since he was a puppy that he shit in the house. He was mad for some reason.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Cats don't pee outside the box because they're mad at anyone. That's a myth. If the cat is peeing outside the box it's almost certainly because the box is either filthy and needs to be cleaned more regularly, or something hurts when he pees and he has begun to associate that pain with the box so he goes somewhere else he feels comfortable, which is often a place that smells like their favorite human.

In other words...

Its a urinary tract infection most likely. Take the cat to a vet.

...this.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
My cat has always liked peeing in spots near me too. She is declawed(not by me settle down), hates the feel of litter on her feet and later got some inflamed anal glands and then really hated litter.

I still for this because it works for me, 100%, but get a litter called "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract," my cat has never ever peed anywhere else do long as she had that litter and only if I duck up and pick up some other brand will she go back to peeing elsewhere. I get it at Petsmart, Walmart doesn't carry it, other pet stores also may carry it.

Totally works wonders for my cat.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Litterbox is clean, so it's not that. She's pretty aloof and spends most of her time with my mom, so I don't think it's attention. I don't know what to do with this fluffy little shit.

Obligatory pic of my kitties (the culprit is the top-left one)
Lots of time it's sterile cystits (idiopathis cystitis, feline lower urinary tract syndrome aka FUS). Bevioral is certainly a possibility but I would only think so after ruling out urinary disease first. There are several other conditions as well (70% of urinary disease in cats between 1 and 10 year is the above though).

Consult your vet, that what we do...
For work up, at minimum, I would recommend a urinalysis.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Tape balloons on the couch.

That won't solve the underlying problem tho.

Oct 28, 2017
Cat piss in a house is also absolutely terrible .. it stains, it's hard to get the smell out. if you have carpet and they piss on the carpet, good luck ever getting them to stop.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cat is literally pissed at you bro. Gotta figure out why. I've lived with cats that hated one particular roommate. Would even piss on a shirt hung in the back of a chair to make that point.