• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a ~16 year old tabby who sleeps indoors and goes out during the day. On Friday he went out at night and my mom went to bed before letting him in. He didn't come back until Saturday evening. She said she noticed his fur looked a little rough, but she didn't bother to look closer. She said he ate fine and was drinking water. Four days later, today, my brother found him in the corner of the bathroom crying, inspected him closely, and noticed he had blood all over his paws and mouth (and face "absolutely different and all messed up") and has just now taken him to the vet.

If he was going to die from a fight, or whatever happened, would it have happened already?

(I don't live at home anymore)

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
He's a ~16 year old tabby who sleeps indoors and goes out during the day. On Friday he went out at night and my mom went to bed before letting him in. He didn't come back until Saturday evening. She said she noticed his fur looked a little rough, but she didn't bother to look closer. She said he ate fine and was drinking water. Four days later, today, my brother found him in the corner of the bathroom crying, inspected him closely, and noticed he had blood all over his paws and mouth (and face "absolutely different and all messed up") and has just now taken him to the vet.

If he was going to die from a fight, or whatever happened, would it have happened already?

(I don't live at home anymore)

Breath, OP. Breath.

I can't promise anything but my dumbass cat did the same damn thing. Fucked up one of his claws something fierce. Poor guy was in a ton of pain. Now he's just the same annoying cat I remember.

Sounds like your 16 year old kitten is gonna get some fun shots and medication! I assume he'll be just fine.

Take care, OP :)

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last pic of him was from March, I haven't been home since then

jFF5Ea3.jpg

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my mom just called and said they said they have to put him down, he has a tumor in his mouth

mddover

Jan 9, 2019
My cat is at the vet tonight, too. We're actually in the middle of packing up to move across the country to Illinois when she started vomiting bile and acting very lethargic. We took her to the vet and she has pancreatitis. They're keeping her overnight and then releasing her with meds to keep her somewhat comfortable until we can get her into a vet in Illinois. She's my best friend and having all this happen on top of the stress of moving has been nearly unbearable.

I hope we all hear some better news soon.

EDIT: I'm so sorry for your loss, OP. I know he was much loved.

Last edited:

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Oh no - I'm so sorry, man :(

I always hate reading on here when people's pets pass. I know all ERA users love their pets and give them amazing homes and lives though, as I know you probably did the same too. Just hang onto that, and know that you have your cat an awesome loved filled life, more than he would have gotten elsewhere.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My cat is at the vet tonight, too. We're actually in the middle of packing up to move across the country to Illinois when she started vomiting bile and acting very lethargic. We took her to the vet and she has pancreatitis. They're keeping her overnight and then releasing her with meds to keep her somewhat comfortable until we can get her into a vet in Illinois. She's my best friend and having all this happen on top of the stress of moving has been nearly unbearable.

I hope we all hear some better news soon.

he had pancreatitis like 10 years ago, he was curled up in a ball in a dark room and wouldn't eat unless we forced him to but we went to the vet and he recovered

it just seems like a very quick diagnosis, they judged it in like 10 minutes

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my mom said no and took him home with medicine to stall

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came home and he really doesn't look good, I think we should just do it

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Really sorry hear this :( Just keep in mind you guys gave him a good life and he was a happy cat because of your care.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
OP I regularly counsel regarding humane euthanasia as part of my job, PM me if you want some help talking through everything. So sorry to hear about your good kitty :(

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Mouth tumors are unfortunately a common cat cancer. My cat passed away due to one (She was also 16), and surgery usually only postpones the inevitable. I'm sorry you and your mom have to go through this.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it really is tragic that they only have a 10 pm appointment so we've just been sitting around all day crying, watching him try to groom himself but only making it worse

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry for your loss.
Seems like 16 is a common age when cats start having serious health problems. I lost my guy when he was 16 too.
Stats say age 15 is the average lifespan for cats, so if they can make it to 16 they've had a full life. I'm sure you gave him a happy one.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2nd vet said it could either be some bone issue or cancer, most likely cancer, but he said it doesn't appear to be causing physical pain even though it is gigantic, he can't close his mouth, and he can't groom himself.

he said we might as well take him home because he's still eating "normally" and when he stops eating, then it's time to bring him in. i probably won't be coming back again.

i can't tell if this was good news. he really seems miserable, but then the vet said who are we to judge what being "happy" means for a cat. could just mean food makes the cat happy and that's it.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my mom just called and said they said they have to put him down, he has a tumor in his mouth
As someone that has had to say goodbye to 3 pets this year, I wish I could say anything to lessen the pain. But, it truly is for the best to say goodbye to your cat now. Cancer sucks. Cherish those memories and know that in this immense world of billions of people, you two crossed paths and shared love and kindness.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
beautiful cat op. poor fella... he sounds like he's lived a wonderful long life.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
This sounds awful. I'm so sorry. About a year ago my cat had a swollen mouth and was in a similar state, but it turned out to be an abscess of some sort. They gave him an antibiotic and he was fine a week later. 12 years old, so also an older cat. But if two vets thought it's a tumor, they're probably right. My grandma also had a cat who the vets said had a tumor in his ear and would need to be put down, but he ended up living another decade after that.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I only just saw this now but I am so very sorry for what you're going through. He's such a beautiful cat. I was in a similar situation back in late 2018 when my mothers cat who I raised as a kitten got really sick and the decision to put him down or take him home and be unsure of what to do or if he was in pain was just as heart-wrenchingly difficult for me as it is being for you. You are not alone OP and I am so, so very sorry you're currently dealing with this :( There's no words I can say that'll make things any easier for you but I just wanted to let you know that you, your mom and your cat are in my thoughts and I'm sending you all many well wishes. My PM's are always open if you ever need anyone to vent to.

What is his name?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
OP, I'm so sorry. I know this feel. Had to put down my senior cat last year for feline AIDS. I'm still not over it.

Last edited:

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
OP, I'm so sorry. I know this feel. Had to put down my senior cat lady year for feline AIDS. I'm still not over it.

My cat was put down Friday for the same reason. I knew it was going to happen but it doesnt make it easier.

Also sorry for your loss OP. Some vets have clay discs they do paw print memorials on. Its something to look into if you want something to remember them by.

Oct 25, 2017
Lost my cat late last year, she was around 18.

It's more than devastating but you'll learn to go on and they'll always be with you.

Sounds like your cat lived a good full life, I know mine did even though it still seems incredibly unfair.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I'm so sorry. It's really hard thinking maybe there's more you could have done.

I knew I did the best I could but yeah its hard especially her last 2 nights. My bed is very high up so in her state she couldnt get up and down but she was hellbent on sleeping with me. So I would have her in bed and if she wanted to get down she had to go through me which would wake me up and I would lower her down and watch her. Then I would pick her back up and make her comfortable and eventually go back to sleep. I did this multiple times a night for almost 2 weeks. Also woke up early in the morning before work to give her zyrtec (we thought she had a bad cold at first) and make her comfortable in the living room. I was so tired I felt awful having my sister watch over her those last two nights because I was so exhausted. I wasnt there for the euthanasia because honestly I wasnt strong enough and I'm in my first month into my new job so I didnt want them to know my business or have them thinking a type of way if I would of asked for Friday off.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost 3 cats recently and I know that taking them in to be put down is incredibly hard. I hope the memories of the time you spent together comfort you and your family.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP. 16 is a damn good long life for a car though, obviously he must've been amazingly loved and looked after.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry for your loss :(

Take care of yourself, and remember that your kitty is finally able to sleep comfortably