• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Long story short, I walked out to go pick up a prescription last week and my car was gone. I almost filed a police report but after 2 hours found the towing company that towed my car as they have a sign near the mailboxes in my neighborhood.

I live in a gated townhouse community and the HOA claims they have 0 affiliation with this towing company (that has 2 signs on the property). I also have a landlord as I rent this townhouse. The landlord is part of a separate company not directly associated with the HOA. The landlord said that they did not tow as they have no authority and that is the HOA responsibility/liability.

Here's where things get weird. The receipt from the towing company has the previous HOA (a different company) as the customer for the tow. This company says they haven't managed the property since April of last year and denies any involvement at all.

The towing company will not reveal which specific individual called to have my car towed.

I've been going back and forth with the current HOA over the last few days via email about the situation. They repetitively claim they have no affiliation with the company and that's basically all the substance they've provided over almost 30 emails between us.

At this point, I'm ready to go to small claims court over this because it's outrageous that I had to pay $200 to get my car out of impound and it's also outrageous to think that my car can just be towed at any moment.

If something isn't done on the HOA's end (who I think I ultimately liable for this) by Monday, I'm going to the magistrate and hiring an attorney.

Mostly venting because this experience has been frustrating and painful because I was without my prescription pain medication for a few days due to that being the only day I had time to go get them.

But any input/advice is appreciated.

update:
I just got off the phone with the towing company threatening to add them as a defendant on my filing (which I'm still going to do anyway lol) and they revealed the party who ordered the towing request was the board of the neighborhood (didn't even know we had such a thing) so I know who to go after tho.

my new question is, why are there so many damn parties involved in my living situation.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Was there a towing sign near where you parked? If so, what does it say? Like, what supposed rule are you breaking?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Go to legal advice subreddit and provide info like where your vehicle was parked, what state you are in, etc.

Ain't enough info here but it does totally sound like ass.

Oct 29, 2017
Edit: removed cat reference

sorry to hear that.Seems like a towing company scam. Good call on lawyering up cause they probably do this all the time

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I was legit reading your entire story waiting for you to get to the part where you had left your cat in your car and it was towed while inside. I give your thread 2 out of 10.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it could be someone running a scam possibly?

Was it parked legally?

I only suggest because there was a well known boot (tire locking device) scam around here not too long ago

Oct 27, 2017
dude you gotta be forceful here. call the tow company back and refuse to hang up, tell them you're going to involve the authorities unless someone provides you some actual information. threaten to report them to the BBB.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming this is going to fall to your landlord. Mainly because your agreement is with him not the HOA. You should post what the outcome is.

I'm guessing you edited cat->car as far as the cat posts go.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Well, they're not allowed to tow on private property without explicit permission, which they'll need to have evidence in order to defend themselves in court.

I'm not sure why they'd refuse to disclose who called in the tow unless they're trying to hide something.

Either the towing company towed wrongly or the HOA called the tow company wrongly.

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Honestly, if the HOA completely innocent, then that means that the towing company is just coming into the property and towing at will. Them only having the info of the previous HOA reinforces this.

And if someone is just a dick and called the number on the sign posted, then the current HOA is liable for still having this signage on the premises

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
there's so many horror stories with tow truck scams. let's just start a towing business that only tows tow trucks and charge crazy prices for release.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
So, let me get this straight. Your own car was towed from your own driveway. What? That's fucked up. If that happened to me I don't know what I'd do.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Definitely get the police involved. Sounds like a scam. Even better, call your local news to shame them.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Long story short, I walked out to go pick up a prescription last week and my car was gone. I almost filed a police report but after 2 hours found the towing company that towed my car as they have a sign near the mailboxes in my neighborhood.

I live in a gated townhouse community and the HOA claims they have 0 affiliation with this towing company (that has 2 signs on the property). I also have a landlord as I rent this townhouse. The landlord is part of a separate company not directly associated with the HOA. The landlord said that they did not tow as they have no authority and that is the HOA responsibility/liability.

Here's where things get weird. The receipt from the towing company has the previous HOA (a different company) as the customer for the tow. This company says they haven't managed the property since April of last year and denies any involvement at all.

The towing company will not reveal which specific individual called to have my car towed.

I've been going back and forth with the current HOA over the last few days via email about the situation. They repetitively claim they have no affiliation with the company and that's basically all the substance they've provided over almost 30 emails between us.

At this point, I'm ready to go to small claims court over this because it's outrageous that I had to pay $200 to get my car out of impound and it's also outrageous to think that my car can just be towed at any moment.

If something isn't done on the HOA's end (who I think I ultimately liable for this) by Monday, I'm going to the magistrate and hiring an attorney.

Mostly venting because this experience has been frustrating and painful because I was without my prescription pain medication for a few days due to that being the only day I had time to go get them.

But any input/advice is appreciated.

File a police report for grand theft auto and press charges agaisnt the towing company.

There is no reason for the company to hide info from you unless they are running a tow scam.