• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is playing DMC at 30 fps instead of 60 insane?

• He nuts, 60 fps is way better than 30 when you have the choice

Votes: 903 78.0%
  • Naw fam, 30 fps is totally fine for DMC in exchange for better image quality

Votes: 255 22.0%

• Total voters

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
i love the posts that are like "let him play how he wants" as if the tongue in cheek op is just harrassing their friend about the FPS
who hurt yall?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did your friend do this?

tssQaFl.jpg

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Graphics mode in DMC5 is not really 30FPS though, it's just unlocked. Would've honestly been better if they had actually locked it at 30FPS instead of having it fluctuate so much. Also, it's honestly the only acceptable way to play that game with RT enhanced lighting, as the performance RT mode looks awfully blurry.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Damn... May God have mercy on his soul.

I can't even go back to 60fps DMC5 after playing it at 144 on the PC, feels surprisingly bad after getting used to the higher refresh rate (I'm kind of new to those kinds of monitors, best money I've ever spent).

I always try the "pretty graphics" mode in most games out of curiosity, but as soon as my precious fluidity drops off a cliff I just go "NOPE".

I can take it or leave it when it comes to cutscenes though, doesn't bother me too much there.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Ask your friend if they will wrestle me. If they say yes then you are safe they are sane but confused. If they say no you need to call a doctor and have them looked at. Cause only an insane person wouldn't want to wrestle me.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
My non-techy friend invited to his place when The Witcher 3 was released. He fired it up and hand me the controller. I shit you not that bad boy was running 15 fps. I told him wtf and he was like I don't understand what's wrong, I am fine.

I tried to explain fps, graphics settings whatever and he looked at me like I was blaspheming. He just didn't understand what I was saying.

Some people just don't care about or even informed about fps stuff at all.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So my friend got a PS5 and has been waiting for it to play DMC 5 and is playing in the 30 fps nicer graphics mode instead of the 60 fps "actual DMC" mode and I told him he's nuts but I don't want him to take my word for it sooooo...

he nuts right?
Look, some people like to be mangled with a tyre iron while being called names, who am into judge.

let your buddy enjoy the game however he wants?
Where's the fun in that.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not overly accustom to 60fps a lot of 30fps titles can feel perfectly fine, If someone wants the increase in visuals who are you to judge them for that?

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So my friend got a PS5 and has been waiting for it to play DMC 5 and is playing in the 30 fps nicer graphics mode instead of the 60 fps "actual DMC" mode and I told him he's nuts but I don't want him to take my word for it sooooo...

he nuts right?

The first time I had to make this decision was when I played GTA3 on the PC. I maxed everything and the game was super pretty, but it wasn't quite right.

I though it was resolution and changed a couple of things, to test. Eventually the game was uglier ( one of the things I inadvertently changed was anti aliasing), but for some reason it "felt better".

It was the first time I noticed framerate.

Still, sometimes I wanted the game to look smoother, but I couldn't play for long sessions and preferred the smoother framerate.

That day ( I was about 15) I understood the concept of framerate and why people keep upgrading their PC ( so they won't have this kind of dilema).

Recently I had the same dileman regarding Subnautica on the Switch vs on the PC and portability won.

In the end, it's all a matter of choice.

In this particular case though ( fast paced action game) he is actually handicapping himself.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Tell him to use a motion compensation system like motionflow/TruMotion to experience both the prettier graphics and 60 fps. I'm sure he won't be bothered by the extra input lag.
/s

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
for an action game like DMC you MUST have 60fps. like holy shit 30fps is just stupid in a game like this.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Just wait a few hours and they'll realize something's wrong. Everyone does eventually.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me if a game is great looking that's awesome. But I know after 20 minutes I'll forget the looks and then I'll always want the extra FPS.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Don't really care for the wording of the first choice. Yes he's nuts for playing DMC in 30fps, but I wouldn't make that a general statement for any game.

I don't do 30fps personally since I have a PC, but when I play on consoles I don't care if it's 30.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I believe that DMCV doesn't even offer a 60fps mode, it's a raytracing mode with an unlocked framerate that hangs in between 40-60. Playing a little of the Series X version I found there to be quite a few levels with no reflections and such to actually be 60 most of the time. I imagine that a VRR TV would make it rather playable, although of course that would only be for the Xbox version currently, and requiring a fancy TV. Your friend is most likely getting an inconsistent but still more responsive feeling than 30fps experience that I think would probably be best for an action game like DMC. Leave 'em be.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
If I bought the game, I'd be playing it on 30fps. People overstate the difference between 30fps and 60fps. I don't notice any difference and It doesn't effect how I play the game. I'd much rather have better graphics.

Just because you don't notice the difference doesn't mean that people overstate the difference.

I notice the difference right away, and it absolutely matters to me in fast-action games. I absolutely want that extra visual information whenever I can have it.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
His reason for preferring 30 instead of 60, and I quote, was that on 60 fps mode

help

If I had he same 2 options as him: marvelous IQ or marvelous performance (but with lesser graphics), I would also pick the 30 fps option.

If I know things can look better in my hardware and 30fps locked is an option, by al means: yes.

Otherwise I would play at 240fps but with 480p in the PC or something.

I want the visual clarity.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics mode in DMC5 is not really 30FPS though, it's just unlocked. Would've honestly been better if they had actually locked it at 30FPS instead of having it fluctuate so much. Also, it's honestly the only acceptable way to play that game with RT enhanced lighting, as the performance RT mode looks awfully blurry.

This. Loaded the game up over the weekend and was pretty shocked at the difference between RT 60 v RT 30.

I just stuck to RT 30 for the couple levels I played. It was fine, and it looked sooooo much better. Not really close, the lighting and clarity really gets hampered at 60. (And I can flip it if I need the 60 for a tough fight).

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
He's wrong but he also probably doesn't care to deeply engage in the combat if he's choosing to play that way so as long as he's having fun it's fine.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I thought the frame rate was unlocked in all modes? The game was updated for a lock 60hz(not frame rate) mode I think.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nah people have different preferences.

I nearly always chose fidelity modes. I can't really tell the difference visually with framerate unless it's really low. But I can certainly tell the difference with higher graphical settings.

I also lock pc games to 30fps.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
This discussion again? Does this forum enjoy debating this or something?
I'm a 144hz snob so obviously 30fps is unplayable if you ask me.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think especially on this site the 60 FPS crowd is wayyyy overzealous.

But DMC5 on 30 FPS...

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one is right or wrong. They can play however they like. I feel the only ones that are "wrong" are the ones trying to impose their way of playing is the only way to play

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
That person is completely and utterly insane, or maybe (s)he/they has/have a condition with their eyes.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
There are some games worth playing at 30fps instead of 60 in my opinion.

Devil May Cry and all other character action games skills definitely be played at 60, the action is too fast.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I tend to play games on 30fps when there's a large graphical disparity, but I wouldn't play DMC on 30fps no matter what lol

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't trust anybody who thinks 30 FPS is the better choice. Graphics mode be damned.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If I bought the game, I'd be playing it on 30fps. People overstate the difference between 30fps and 60fps. I don't notice any difference and It doesn't effect how I play the game. I'd much rather have better graphics.
It's your TV set to game mode, or just left at the defaults with motion smoothing enabled?
Because the difference between 30 and 60 is not small.