• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
My boss and also the owner of a small company(7 employees) I work for, paid me the whole week when in reality I worked for 2 days(I asked for the other 3 days off).

If this was a big corporation I wouldn't have say anything but yeah....being a small company I kinda fell terrible if I don't say anything.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Just tell your boss. You don't want to be that person. Also you now know and if they do find out you'll probably be fired

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You should probably state Country and State/Province. Laws differ on what an employer can/can't do in these situations.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If there's no other payroll/HR person handling it, yeah you probably want to ask your boss about it.

And I'm assuming from your post that you didn't have paid vacation days available. (Like if they'd used your paid days instead of unpaid PTO.)

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
For a small business, that depends on the company culture. I would turn a blind eye if there are negatives that outweigh the positives. Feel free to go with your gut OP

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like that can happen at any size business. Go ahead and report it to them since they would all for the money back eventually.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Just tell them. If you were running a small business and made a similar error, wouldn't you like to be alerted?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm somehow the only person in the company that gets PTO and so they have no official means of tracking it. I'm pretty sure as long as I don't ask for that much they will give me whatever I ask for. I think it's supposed to be 10 days but it's totally more than that each year.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You should just tell him. Also, in a big business more people review that stuff, they would be more likely to find out, not less.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just talk to your boss. Just ask if the extra was intentional.

If (when) they find out later, it'll probably be a lot more awkward (and look worse).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Tell them. They will find out anyway if they have a decent CPA.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
At what size does the corporation need to be before you rip them off? 😄

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Going to try and step this up beyond just "do the right thing," OP. You can not only be fired and sued over this, but you could also be charged with a crime if you don't get it corrected. Keeping money you knowingly didn't earn, regardless of whether it's a mistake, is some serious shit. Not something worth messing around with. Report this to your boss next time you're able.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Check to see how much tax you've paid this year... we're in last quarter, so you may have paid enough social security so that they take less. But definitely ask your boss what's up.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My boss and also the owner of a small company(7 employees) I work for, paid me the whole week when in reality I worked for 2 days(I asked for the other 3 days off).

If this was a big corporation I wouldn't have say anything but yeah....being a small company I kinda fell terrible if I don't say anything.
It's ok amigo. Do the right thing and tell em.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Check to see how much tax you've paid this year... we're in last quarter, so you may have paid enough social security so that they take less. But definitely ask your boss what's up.

OP would have to have made $137,000 this year to have hit that limit and Social Security tax is only 4.2% so I seriously doubt that's it.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Talk to your boss and make sure they're aware of the paycheck. Ultimately it's their decision to pay you extra and your only responsibility here is making sure it wasn't a clerical error.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People really think he would be fired for saying nothing? What if he just didn't notice

I've actually been in this situation in the past 5 years and it's not a big deal if you talk to your boss or HR. In my case, they let me keep the pay and had the extra amount deducted from my next paycheck. I think people should be checking their bank balance whenever they get paid because the opposite does happen and you can get underpaid or not paid at all for some days by accident.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It being a small company, I'd mention it at the very least and not spend the money until he got back to you. In the giant corporate world of salaries and discretionary bonuses this kind of thing is normal.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, better to handle now, get it out of the way and earn some goodwill instead of potentially having to repay/deduct at a random time down the road and deal with any consequences of not reporting it.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Ask them about it. Small groups usually have a pretty flat hierarchy but that makes mutual trust really important in turn, so your best option is just to be honest about it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd go to them before they come to you. They will always trust you from there on out.

Last edited: