• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
yeah was pretty annoyed when Stark was still such a massive presence in FFH, despite being already dead. but then I can't stand Iron Man and was probably the only person laughing in the cinema at the end of Endgame. I think one of the many reasons I loved Spider-verse so much was his complete absence from it.

Oct 25, 2017
Both movies end with him explicitly not using Stark tech to defeat the villain. The entire point of both movies is him realizing that he doesn't need to be the next Iron Man.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, that's more than enough room for Spidey to spread his wings; look at the Ant-man films. They aren't heavy handed with the MCU Universe tie-in.

MCU tie in is the appeal though for this new Spider-Man. If he had no films prior like Ant-Man, then I agree.

But I think this Spider-Man is being set up to outlast Ant-Man or any other superhero in the MCU. He'll have plenty of time to grow. That's why I think we won't be seeing a live action Miles Morales in a spidey suit anytime soon.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for this naive boyhood version of Spider-Man we keep getting. I wish Marvel would give us a more competent, experienced take on the character already, but Hollywood writing is so entrapped in the whole "every hero must learn a lesson" trope that keeps characters like Spider-Man stuck in perpetual adolescence.

Fingers crossed he gets to be an adult in the next one. Enough time has passed for him to be well out of high school, and these movies have mostly moved in real time (Blip aside).

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't even understand who she's supposed to be.
I have no idea who Zendaya is supposed to be either, other than a symbolic "MJ" but also her own person with none of the history or character of MJ? It's confusing, they should have done one or the other. I like Zendaya in these films, but I hope they establish her character a bit better in future films.

I agree with OP, but I'd also leverage those criticisms toward the MCU as a whole here and there. I think they had to do this to an extent to build up Infinity War, but I also think Ragnarok did a better job of skirting that line of connecting threads and having it's own identity. Helps that the film doesn't take place on Earth too.

I think they somewhat worked themselves into a corner with Stark being the source of all the universe's tech genius. We have Banner who has been off-world doing his own stuff and Hank Pym retconned in to the past, but it still largely feels like the world runs off Stark Tech and everyone else is just an afterthought. Shuri may be a force in tech now as well, since Wakanda is no longer hiding. With the Fantastic Four rumors (an inevitable addition) I think they're working toward a place where more super-smart folks are coming up in the world, and with Stark being out of the picture I would hope we will see less of that 'one character focus' going forward.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Tony Stark's total screen time in Homecoming was 9 minutes of a 133 minute movie. RDJ got paid 1.1 million per minute he was in the movie and he shot his scenes in 3 days total.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who Zendaya is supposed to be either, other than a symbolic "MJ" but also her own person with none of the history or character of MJ? It's confusing, they should have done one or the other. I like Zendaya in these films, but I hope they establish her character a bit better in future films.

It's an adaptation, and they changed the character (she reminds me more of Ultimate MJ) and the name. Just like "Ned" is Ganke from Miles' book, having been given the name of a totally unrelated Peter supporting character.

Plus, it's not like Mary Jane in the Raimi trilogy had any of the "history or character of MJ". She just had a name and hair.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
MCU tie in is the appeal though for this new Spider-Man. If he had no films prior like Ant-Man, then I agree.

But I think this Spider-Man is being set up to outlast Ant-Man or any other superhero in the MCU. He'll have plenty of time to grow. That's why I think we won't be seeing a live action Miles Morales in a spidey suit anytime soon.

But that is the case for Black Panther too, he was allowed to stand on his own in his solo film. And this is after the introduction in Civil War along with Spiderman so.... And the appeal of the tie-in goes for all of them, it isn't exclusive to Spiderman.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
I'm not inherently against the idea of giving Spider-Man an established characters as a mentor figure, especially considering that the interconnected universe is generally considered to be one of the biggest attractions of the MCU. But having that character be Tony Stark feels like a fundamental misunderstanding of the Spider-Man character.

One of the things that sets Spider-Man apart from other Superheros, and this is something that they absolutely nailed in the PS4 game, is that Peter Parker is a working class guy struggling to make ends meet. Yeah, he's got to fight the Green Goblin but he also has to figure out how he's going to pay his rent and that element of his character makes him relatable in a way that a character like Batman could never be. To tie a character like that so closely to ultra-billionaire Tony Stark is just wrong.

This article goes into a bit more detail about it, but the fact that the solution for Peter at his lowest moment in Far From Home is to call his rich friend Happy Hogan to use a private plane to deliver him Stark tech is abysmal. While having RDJ in Homecoming definitely made sense from a business perspective, tying Spider-Man and Ironman so close together is pretty gross.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Guess i don't care as much because we got some pretty good stands alone Spider-Man good films already. The MCU Spider-Man movies have been average. But he is always fantastic in the ensemble films and bounces off the other heroes well.

Tom is easily the most charismatic Spider-Man. Garfield is probably up the too but his movies are weren't good.

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
It's an adaptation, and they changed the character (she reminds me more of Ultimate MJ) and the name. Just like "Ned" is Ganke from Miles' book, having been given the name of a totally unrelated Peter supporting character.

Plus, it's not like Mary Jane in the Raimi trilogy had any of the "history or character of MJ". She just had a name and hair.
While that may true, that's not what I find bothersome. The whole she's MJ but not that MJ aspect, seems to me, as a way to mitigate white nerd outrage. Don't be cowards either she's Mary Jane MJ, or name her something else entirely.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The first Iron Man film colors the rest of the universe. Vision being tied to JARVIS and all that. It's just how the MCU works.
But this is also kinda why the MCU works so well. They are taking inspiration from the comics but molding the ideas into the story they are creating which is fine.

I bet everyone will like what they've done when Spidey eventually become more of an adult and takes on a leadership role. It will feel deserved.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is kind of what is great about Spidey MCU. It sure feels like we will have Tom Holland around for a while as Peter Parker. Which means we are only at the start of his character's journey. I hope they can keep telling interesting stories with this Peter Parker for many movies. I imagine he will move into the leadership position someday and probably be mentor to many other heroes.

Sep 15, 2020
I think when they're finally ready to introduce Venom and Carnage is when we'll have an independent non-Stark leaning Spidey. Then maybe bring in Kingpin, Daredevil, Green Goblin, etc.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
While that may true, that's not what I find bothersome. The whole she's MJ but not that MJ aspect, seems to me, as a way to mitigate white nerd outrage. Don't be cowards either she's Mary Jane MJ, or name her something else entirely.

It is indeed shitty that they seemed to chicken out of just having her be Mary Jane from the start. Seems that's what they wanted, but decided to get the whiny purist/racist nerds' money first.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
But that is the case for Black Panther too, he was allowed to stand on his own in his solo film. And this is after the introduction in Civil War along with Spiderman so.... And the appeal of the tie-in goes for all of them, it isn't exclusive to Spiderman.
The point they were making is that there have been five Spider-man movies before, between the Raimi trilogy and the two ASMs. Spider-man is well-trodden ground, so it makes sense to spice it up a bit. Lean more heavily on what the MCU can offer.

Black Panther and Ant Man were already new to audiences.

plain

Oct 27, 2017

I think you misunderstood my post. What I mean is, heroes like Ant-Man (and Black Panther) are new and have no origin films before like Sam Raimi and Marc Webb Spider-Man movies. 5 non interconnected movies all to himself. To do another another Spider-Man reboot without the heavy MCU tie-ins would be seen as wasted opportunity, at the time.

EDIT: Yep. RiOrius. Well said.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how he's still a loser in the suit. Like he's supposed to be "pretending" to be Spider-Man. More confident, cracking jokes, humiliating his enemies before laying them out. He's not cool in any sense of the word in the MCU movies. He's been in so many of these movies and still feels like a lame-o man 😭

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I love MCU world building and everything being connected. It enables arcs that culminate into very high stakes threats. Many of the stand alone Spidey movies were also kind of bad so I don't really have any reference point other than Spiderman 2 of them being exceptional. I find that stand alone superhero films kind of run out of steam after the origin story. They might get one good origin story follow-up that is usually because even that film taps into origin elements as the protagonist is now getting used to being a hero and all the trappings that come with that.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It didn't bother me as much in the first movie, aside from that scene butchering ASM #33 and making that recolve around Iron Man. But FFH just goes too far for me. They turned the character always struggling for money into a billionaire worshipper and someone always in the back of his head knowing he has to do the responsible thing have to be tricked into bringing his costume on a school trip, and have to be dragged kicking and screaming by Fury to fight, and fighting another villain who was wronged by the billionaire, and is gifted high tech stuff with more American imperialist military propaganda and building another high tech suit from billionaire's private plane, it's just a lot of thematic things that kind of taint this Spidey.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
i think is very stupid to "Create" another company with adcanced technology for the spiderman villains to use.

when stark industries is right there.

for me is honestly killing 2 birds with one stone, they dont need to explain where these villains are getting the technology or whatever and it being "stark tech" has a little bit of weight for Peter.

so i dont have any problem with that at all.
Look, there is more to it than that. If Stark tech was used only as a means of explaining how Spidey's villains got their suits, then the Iron Man mythos ends there. Hell, that's how the helicarrier upgrades in Cap2 got explained. But it didn't end there.

The villain's motivation in the first film is stealing more Stark tech and part of the hero's arc is proving himself to Tony. The villain in the second film is an ex-Stark employee working a bunch of other ex-Stark employees and his vendetta is fueled by his hatred for Tony. Spider-Man just happens to be in the crossfire of his plan to redeem himself. The plot revolved around another vital piece of Stark tech, the glasses that activate EDITH.

In other words, Iron Man mythos is all over the MCU Spider-Man series.
I'd feel the same way but we're still only two solo films in.
I'm not sure what you mean. I am judging these films individually, and the criticism I have for them is something they have in common and in fact something that got worse from one film to its sequel.

Not only that, but regardless of how many Spidey films Sony and Disney end up releasing, two films is still 66% of a film trilogy. But I have high hopes for 3.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
But this is also kinda why the MCU works so well. They are taking inspiration from the comics but molding the ideas into the story they are creating which is fine.

I bet everyone will like what they've done when Spidey eventually become more of an adult and takes on a leadership role. It will feel deserved.

They're fun movies and already had an iconic villain in The Vulture, which was steeped in the Stark tech MCU angle. It could very well all pay off.

I personally don't think they stuck the landing on Mysterio being quite as effective. Made for some good fight scenes either way, it just all lost the Spider-Man feeling that the Vulture had with him more welding stuff together haphazardly. Mysterio was like an Avengers-level threat in that movie.

Oct 27, 2017
Thats arguable of any super hero, but the way the MCU Spidey movies do it makes it feel like kid bullshit because they have silly preteen quips non-stop.

I mean I have never felt so "Who gives a flying fuck?" watching a movie than I do with these films
Yes it's a difference between missing a wedding anniversary or a baby being born while saving the world and a school field trip. The first 2 are actually kinda important to a personal life

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look, there is more to it than that. If Stark tech was used only as a means of explaining how Spidey's villains got their suits, then the Iron Man mythos ends there. Hell, that's how the helicarrier upgrades in Cap2 got explained. But it didn't end there.

The villain's motivation in the first film is stealing more Stark tech and part of the hero's arc is proving himself to Tony. The villain in the second film is an ex-Stark employee working a bunch of other ex-Stark employees and his vendetta is fueled by his hatred for Tony. Spider-Man just happens to be in the crossfire of his plan to redeem himself. The plot revolved around another vital piece of Stark tech, the glasses that activate EDITH.

In other words, Iron Man mythos is all over the MCU Spider-Man series.

I'm not sure what you mean. I am judging these films individually, and the criticism I have for them is something they have in common and in fact something that got worse from one film to its sequel.

Not only that, but regardless of how many Spidey films Sony and Disney end up releasing, two films is still 66% of a film trilogy. But I have high hopes for 3.

that why i said it is two birds with one stone,

this Peter cares a lot about Tony, we know that.

thats why Stark tech being used for shitty things matters to him, because he is practically and literally Iron Man's successor.

we will have plenty of time for his Rogue gallery to appear and have their own backstory.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My biggest gripe is that the webslinging has been super lame. Neither of the movies have given me a "fuck yeah Spiderman" moment yet.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, he was, but not early on. Like a lot of things in the MCU, it comes from the comics circa 2000-2010.
I see. Well in any case I'm cool with the mentor relationship. 2000-2010 is still pretty far off from Spidey's debut in the MCU too.,
If I go down to the comics stand and pick up the current Spider-man issue, what's the probability that there's a character from outside Spider-man in it?
The chances would probably be high I would say. But I am not trying to compare the films directly to the comics. I'm comparing the series to other series from the MCU, and by extension the previous Raimi and Webb series.
Both movies end with him explicitly not using Stark tech to defeat the villain. The entire point of both movies is him realizing that he doesn't need to be the next Iron Man.
You're kind of proving my point though. In the end he decides he doesn't need to be Iron Man but spends the whole film trying to live up to him. What I have been trying to say is that I would have rather had the point of these movies have not as much to do with living up to a mentor but having his own journey without involvement from the outside.
that why i said it is two birds with one stone,

this Peter cares a lot about Tony, we know that.

thats why Stark tech being used for shitty things matters to him, because he is practically and literally Iron Man's successor.

we will have plenty of time for his Rogue gallery to appear and have their own backstory.
I guess what I am trying to say is that, way I see it, there are no birds that needed to be killed at all. These films could have gone in a different but still good direction.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The point they were making is that there have been five Spider-man movies before, between the Raimi trilogy and the two ASMs. Spider-man is well-trodden ground, so it makes sense to spice it up a bit. Lean more heavily on what the MCU can offer.

Black Panther and Ant Man were already new to audiences.

I got the point, I just don't agree. If anything, it comes off as a crutch, spider-man has plenty of material to draw from without having to be entrenched in the MCU factor to the point where they rid of meaningful characters like Uncle Ben. And its two films, Homecoming it made sense -I'll give you that. But the second film just eh... I understand the correlation between the ending of the Avengers film leading up to Far from Home and the emotional toll, etc.

Honestly, it comes down to my bias towards how characterization and storytelling is told in these films to the benefit of the Universe tie-in factor and having to be invested in the MCU, whereas with Raimi spidey films, he just told good stories without all that (And a great one with Spider-man 2).

It's like, I have now wait for the potential set-up of a Spider-man film some time down the line that is as impactful to me as Spider-man 2? Hey, no qualms with folks who are good with how they approach MCU stuff. For me, its all just a detriment to keeping it in the MCU family when its been proven -established character or not, that you can have a solo film without the MCU formula going overboard.

I guess that's why I thought the recent Into the Spiderverse film was an amazing and genuine experience because it's so divorced of the MCU formula. It's a Marvel film that actually gambled and took chances which paid off.

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yes it's a difference between missing a wedding anniversary or a baby being born while saving the world and a school field trip. The first 2 are actually kinda important to a personal life

Right, and the reliance of juvenile and awkward humor tones in like every scene makes you just not care at all or feel for Penis Peter Parker

"Aaaargh, I am missing out on my Euro trip because of super hero stuff! What if MJ likes insignificant guy instead? Why do I have to be the Night Monkey, errr darn, I mean Spider-Man! *audience laughs "Night Monkey! HAHAHA!!*

And then

"I miss Mr. Stark...." *audience cries "We Love You Iron Man!!!! *sob, tears*..*

I mean the films are just unlikable to me

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I think this is the best way to do it tho at the point where we are.

You just can't do a solo movie anymore that's also playing in the current timeline and just let everyone disappear but at the same time have dangerous enemies.
It makes you think "Where the fuck are the other 50 Avengers?".

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with most of the complaints here and I'll add that I think the crux of the issue is the MCU Spider-Man movies are, at the end of the day, kids movies. He's a kid super hero with kid problems. He's bright and cheerful and positive. So the villains are over the top cartoonish and don't get too personal.

With Far From Home I couldn't help but feel they held Mysterio back from being a truly terrifying villain. He could have made Peter see anything. Aunt May in trouble. He could've evoked Uncle Ben. Played with emotions a little and really gotten into his head. Could've opened up Peter Parker's character to a deeper level. But instead his threats are largely surface level. And I think they did it that way cause it would have been way too dark for the audience they're going for otherwise.

So I can't help but feel more than a little apprehension for when the series takes on villains like Venom and Carnage. They'll have a hard time doing them justice while keeping to the lighter atmosphere they want Spider-Man to be in.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Thats arguable of any super hero, but the way the MCU Spidey movies do it makes it feel like kid bullshit because they have silly preteen quips non-stop.

I mean I have never felt so "Who gives a flying fuck?" watching a movie than I do with these films
My man, you might just not like spiderman in general, because teenage BS and non stop quipping is LITERALLY what he does 100% of the time. He never grows out of it and it's ever present, even in situations that don't call for it.

Like, the major characterization of peter parker in his early years is balancing being a kid and a superhero at the same time. If you find that boring, Spiderman is going to have nothing for you.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as someone with a 4 year old who loves Spider-Man, the old movies are way better because they're just pure Spider-Man being Spider-Man adventures. Even the "Amazing" movies.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
That's why I don't really like the MCU Spider-Man movies. They're basically SHIELD movies guest starring Spider-Man. He's almost a supporting character in his own movies. I'd rather watching Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 than Far from Home or Homecoming. Michael Keaton was the only thing that kept Homecoming from being total garbage, to me.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
For a second I thought this was going to be a new criticism lol.

I think the extent to which MCU Spidey is just "Iron Man Jr." is really overblown. Like yeah, this version of the character has a strong personal tie to Tony Stark. But he still very much stands on his own feet. That's in large part what both movies have been about!
So to be clear, I don't mind the mentor relationship and how Peter looks up to Tony so much. It's with this mentality that Peter operates in his superhero life, but the issue I take is that a lot of his own solo superhero life has to do with Tony too i.e the ties that the two villains had to Stark himself, their motivations, and elements of the plot.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I love Tom Holland as PP/Spiderman but his solo films are awful and completely lack any of the charm and struggles his character needs. There is no identity struggle because he ended up getting exposed. There is no financial struggle because Tony Stark is constantly involved in his life. They could have used the fact Peter rejected being an Avenger in the first movie as a way to say he also was rejecting assistance from Tony but then the second movie has him using stark tech and heavily focusing on making Peter look like the Iron Man replacement.

I still think Tobey Maguire was terrible but the first two Raimi movies are so true to the character and execution that it carried him.

Either way I'm excited for 3 because at this point going crazier with this is more interesting than HS drama and Tony Stark obsession.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So to be clear, I don't mind the mentor relationship and how Peter looks up to Tony so much. It's with this mentality that Peter operates in his superhero life, but the issue I take is that a lot of his own solo superhero life has to do with Tony too i.e the ties that the two villains had to Stark himself, their motivations, and elements of the plot.
This is a personal preference with world-building, and it certainly comes up with Star Wars a hell of a lot, this debate of going back to well vs. always creating new stuff. But personally I don't mind them going back to the well like this, especially in a connected universe. To me it makes sense that Stark Industries is this nucleus of crazy future tech that often falls into the wrong hands, in the same Tony himself is really the nucleus of the whole MCU. As opposed to constantly making up new organizations and new secret societies that are inventing and weaponizing this shit. Someone mentioned earlier as an example Stark Industries standing in for Oscorp, but the former has already been established and the latter hasn't, so why wouldn't it stand in for Oscorp? I like it when the movies utilize and leverage what already exists in-universe.

And sure you can overdo this, and clearly for some these Spider-Man movies over do it on the Stark connections, but I don't really mind them. Especially since Tony already plays such a big role in Peter's life in these movies, I like the twistedness of his enemies wielding his mentor's legacy against him (and conversely, Peter mining his mentor's legacy to use against his enemies).

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
This is a personal preference with world-building, and it certainly comes up with Star Wars a hell of a lot, this debate of going back to well vs. always creating new stuff. But personally I don't mind them going back to the well like this, especially in a connected universe. To me it makes sense that Stark Industries is this nucleus of crazy future tech that often falls into the wrong hands, in the same Tony himself is really the nucleus of the whole MCU. As opposed to constantly making up new organizations and new secret societies that are inventing and weaponizing this shit. Someone mentioned earlier as an example Stark Industries standing in for Oscorp, but the former has already been established and the latter hasn't, so why wouldn't it stand in for Oscorp? I like it when the movies utilize and leverage what already exists in-universe.

And sure you can overdo this, and clearly for some these Spider-Man movies over do it on the Stark connections, but I don't really mind them. Especially since Tony already plays such a big role in Peter's life in these movies, I like the twistedness of his enemies wielding his mentor's legacy against him (and conversely, Peter mining his mentor's legacy to use against his enemies).
Spider-Man Homecoming as a film should be able to stand on its own legs as a Spider-Man film and not be backed up by the fact that it is an MCU film. And none of the other non-ensemble films do that either, I wanted that sort of experience with Spider-Man in the MCU. Cap's films, Thor's films, Guardians' films, Ant-Man's films, Dr. Strange, Capt. Marvel - none of these series are without their own issues, but none of them felt like their presentation was carried out in the shadows of another. But that's what Spider-Man series feels like in relation to the Iron Man series.

It's just about the MCU too that I'm saying this and I'm not saying that I would feel much better if everything Stark tech was replaced with everything Oscorp tech either. In fact I found it tiresome how Oscorp was the answer to everything bad in the Webb series, and Raimi series didn't need that sort of overarching explanation for each and every villain and how they get their powers.

The only Star Wars movie I've ever seen was The Force Awakens, so I can't speak on that franchise.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
They're fun movies and already had an iconic villain in The Vulture, which was steeped in the Stark tech MCU angle. It could very well all pay off.

I personally don't think they stuck the landing on Mysterio being quite as effective. Made for some good fight scenes either way, it just all lost the Spider-Man feeling that the Vulture had with him more welding stuff together haphazardly. Mysterio was like an Avengers-level threat in that movie.
So cool seeing Mysterio. I don't think he was that big a threat but he was a pretty big threat for spider man who is still a teen. Like Thor could have just lightning bolted and most of the drones would have died. He was a threat to spidey but that's about it.

People need to remember Spidey is a teen who has had only 2 movies. They probably are using him as a vehicle for a younger audience to follow as they too grow up. He will become more of a leader going forward, his arc is moving toward that. He might even take on a quippy but smart role like Tony, without the arrogance. Maybe he will be part of a Tony/Banner pair but instead it will be Peter/Shuri

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Something I just remembered -- wasn't Vulture's thing that he was using Chitauri tech, not Stark tech? The Stark angle iirc was that Tony fucked him out of a govt contract to clean up New York, and Toomes also tries to steal a cargo of Stark/Avengers equipment at the end.

Spider-Man Homecoming as a film should be able to stand on its own legs as a Spider-Man film and not be backed up by the fact that it is an MCU film.
FWIW, my wife saw Homecoming long before seeing (or having any interest in) other MCU movies, and liked it and understood it just fine. Far From Home probably doesn't make a ton of sense to someone who hasn't seen Infinity War and Endgame (given their box office hauls, I'm not sure the number of people who went to see FFH without seeing either Avengers film first is all that big anyway lol). But I don't think Homecoming is impenetrable to people not versed in the MCU, and can't stand on its own two feet.

Spider-Man is a minor character in Civil War, so much of the Tony/Peter dynamic underpinning Homecoming *happens in Homecoming*. It's not like someone coming into Homecoming without having seen Robert Downey Jr's six prior movies is going to be lost. Nearly all of what you need to know about Homecoming's MCU connections are established within Homecoming.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, my wife saw Homecoming long before seeing (or having any interest in) other MCU movies, and liked it and understood it just fine. Far From Home probably doesn't make a ton of sense to someone who hasn't seen Infinity War and Endgame (given their box office hauls, I'm not sure the number of people who went to see FFH without seeing either Avengers film first is all that big anyway lol). But I don't think Homecoming is impenetrable to people not versed in the MCU, and can't stand on its own two feet.

Spider-Man is a minor character in Civil War, so much of the Tony/Peter dynamic underpinning Homecoming *happens in Homecoming*. It's not like someone coming into Homecoming without having seen Robert Downey Jr's six prior movies is going to be lost. Nearly all of what you need to know about Homecoming's MCU connections are established within Homecoming.
I wasn't trying to say that Homecoming is a difficult act to follow. I think for any casual fan, the film will come across as Peter Parker still learning the ways of the big time superhero gig with Tony Stark watching over him. Like I said I think the movies are good and in hindsight I might even say Homecoming is a better film even though I liked them about the same, since the Iron Man influence is even heavier in Far From Home.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
We have two live-action Spiderman movie series that try to do their own things, as well as an animated movie on top of the video game and all the other Spidey content out there.

I appreciate that this take on Spiderman was done similarly to the rest of the Avengers, being directly tied to this new universe. The timing was just right for this approach after the disappointments of the Amazing duology.

Also, to me it actually makes sense to tie Spidey to Iron Man. While IM wasn't the beginning of the MCU, it felt like the official launch point, giving that character legitimacy on the big screen in unprecedented fashion. A new take on Spidey being tied to a new (and popularized) take on Iron Man had a bit of a "full circle" effect for me.

Last edited: