• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
In response to nasty comments made in the thread discussing the Gillette ad featuring an obese woman, I wanted to raise awareness of a show called My 600-lb Life that has been airing on TLC since 2012. The show was created by surgeon Dr. Younan Nowzaradan (or Dr. Now) who specializes in weight loss surgery for morbidly obese patients. Each episode follows a patient's year-long journey to get approved for weight loss surgery.

When asked for his motivation for creating the show, Dr. Now spoke of the ignorance that persists in regards to obesity and the people suffering from it. And this ignorance does not only stem from common folk, but people in the medical field as well. Therefore, he wanted to create a window for people and medical workers to gain insight into the daily lives and struggles of the morbidly obese, to allow them to adjust their views of these people.

Keynote with Dr. Younan Nowzaradan

It deserves mentioning that the show comes with a lot of drama at times, given that disfunctional family situations often make for the core of the issues that pathed a person's way to obesity. But that isn't why I came to appreciate this show. Instead, it has allowed me to see these people as victims of a sickness that spiraled out of their control. Eating addiction is not very different from drug addiction. However, no human can survive without food. Imagine a sober ex-alcoholic having to drink alcohol every day; they would have a hard time quitting their destructive habit. This means food addiction turns into a battle of incredible will versus temptation with each bite taken.

Is obesity acceptable? No, obesity and especially morbid obesity leads to a myriad of health issues and greatly shortens the lifespan of those afflicted. Furthermore, it can cause immense strain on a family. Morbidly obese people are decreasingly mobile with increasingly high weight, the eventual outcome their being bed-ridden. At this point at the latest, families are forced to adopt a relationship of caretaker and caregiver. The result oftentimes is estrangement and resentment.

What about their appearance?
Beauty standards leave no place for the obese, and society makes sure to remind them of that at every turn. Being judged for their weight on a daily basis through looks and comments only harms their self-esteem, and that in turn only leads to them sinking further into unhealthy eating habits. After all, eating can be a safe space if you aren't allowed to feel safe anywhere else. Therefore, if you truly want obese people to improve their health, do not shame them for their appearance. Let them know they have a place in society as they are now, do not let them feel out of place. Healthy choices are theirs to make, but you can make it easier on them.

Likewise, Gillette showing an obese woman enjoying herself at the beach is a great thing. She should be allowed to, and these positive experiences will only make it easier on her to lose weight later should she decide to make that choice. On the contrary, you shaming her for enjoying herself outside will only lead to her putting on more weight instead. And that doesn't make you an ally - it makes you an accomplice in their weight gain.

This is just some of the more important insight I have gained thanks to My 600-lb Life, and I think it is something best experienced yourself. Wanting people to be healthier is a good thing, but if you do, you have the responsibility to treat them right. I think this show can help you learn to do so. The watch is difficult at times, a recent episode showing a patient that was successful in getting weight loss surgery still pass away from heart failure mere weeks later. I also need to warn of surgical procedures being shown in detail, meaning the faint of heart will want to look away.

You can find out more about the show here: https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-600-lb-life/

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If my parents' reactions to that show are any indication, sometimes it makes people's perceptions of obesity worse through Red Asphalt-style shock. That probably wasn't the intention though, which is pretty disappointing.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, thanks for posting this.

There are aspects of fat acceptance culture that drive me insane (i.e. "healthy at any size" lies that give people permission to not make changes), but the reality is that nothing can be fixed without love and patience.

These folks really do deserve that much from you if nothing else

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show is on daily here during my dinner, it's a great reminder not to overeat. We also love immitating dr. Now, there's something about the way he always strolls into the room saying "Herrooow"

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'll just say this - when you immediately shut down any possibility of viewing obese people enjoying life, you're not doing anything to curb obesity. If you actually care about that, lobby politicians to stop subsidizing corn syrup, donate to programs that teach nutritious lifestyles, or fight to end food deserts that lead to people buying their groceries at convenience stores.

All you're doing is asking obese people to hide from view and not make any noise, which is pretty fucking mean. No one is like, "Awww yeah, being fat fucking rules, guy! I totally love it and how society judges me as dumber, unattractive, and weak-willed."

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Given how many of his patients seemed to struggle with losing modest amounts of weight to qualify for gastric bypasses, I've often questioned Dr. Nowzaradan's methods. He seemed to send them home with a diet plan, but they never showed, for example, the patients receiving some form of counseling and behavioral therapy to tackle the reasons why they always returned to eating what they did. So I always wrote off the show as insincere entertainment.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Given how many of his patients seemed to struggle with losing modest amounts of weight to qualify for gastric bypasses, I've often questioned Dr. Nowzaradan's methods. He seemed to send them home with a diet plan, but they never showed, for example, the patients receiving some form of counseling and behavioral therapy to tackle the reasons why they always returned to eating what they did. So I always wrote off the show as insincere entertainment.
I haven't watched it in a few years, but I can really only think of one or two true success stories, and they were in the first season which followed the patients for longer. One of those ladies ended up working (volunteering?) at his clinic.

There are many episodes where it's clear the person should have received counseling but the show never showed any.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

Early episodes are very short at roughly thirty minutes each, but by now they run for over an hour. What you get as a result is a much more in-depth look at a patient's weight loss journey, including psychotherapy and counceling. I would definitely say that Dr. Now has evolved his own methods however, demanding more from patients early on in order to build their sense of responsibility, and also recommending psychotherapy much sooner than he used to.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Is such a thing even done? Stuff like over eating and food addictions are not seen as actual addictions so what type of therapy is there for such cases?

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
I haven't watched it in a few years, but I can really only think of one or two true success stories, and they were in the first season which followed the patients for longer. One of those ladies ended up working (volunteering?) at his clinic.

There are many episodes where it's clear the person should have received counseling but the show never showed any.
Maybe you should watch the show before you blow shit out of your ass. Almost every episode he sends them to therapy.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Is such a thing even done? Stuff like over eating and food addictions are not seen as actual addictions so what type of therapy is there for such cases?

Yes, it is done in just about all cases. Many patients have developed a habit of 'emotional eating' as a response to childhood trauma for example, and therapy helps them find new ways to deal with their emotions. It is paramount for their long-term success.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Many times on the show, the patients go through therapy sessions to get to the root of their food addiction. It stems from a range of things including physical abuse, emotional abuse, and childhood trauma.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Being judged for their weight on a daily basis through looks and comments only harms their self-esteem, and that in turn only leads to them sinking further into unhealthy eating habits. After all, eating can be a safe space if you aren't allowed to feel safe anywhere else. Therefore, if you truly want obese people to improve their health, do not shame them for their appearance. Let them know they have a place in society as they are now, do not let them feel out of place. Healthy choices are theirs to make, but you can make it easier on them.

Exactly this.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory False Equivalences
The last time I went to the doctor's office the 4 receptionists were extremely obese women. We're talking like in the 200lb+ territory. It's like walking into a doctors office where the receptionists are chain smoking.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Empathy is generally a good thing.

It's better than the alternative of being a stupid asshole.

But I think most people are stupid assholes. Makes me appreciate the good people all the more when I find one.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Empathy is generally a good thing.

It's better than the alternative of being a stupid asshole.

But I think most people are stupid assholes. Makes me appreciate the good people all the more when I find one.

Sadly, you have a lot of people approach the show with the mindset of 'hey, we get to laugh at the expense of a dumb fat guy again', some even rooting for the failure of patients shown. It's insanity. But I can acknowledge that I was judgmental of morbidly obese people myself when my girlfriend first introduced me to the show. However, it has educated me and I have a broader, better perspective of the issue now.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
OP, thanks for posting this.

There are aspects of fat acceptance culture that drive me insane (i.e. "healthy at any size" lies that give people permission to not make changes), but the reality is that nothing can be fixed without love and patience.

These folks really do deserve that much from you if nothing else

Isn't healthy at any size about being the best you can be at your weight? It's not like it's called perfect health at any wright. An obese person who doesn't move is likely to be in worse shape then one who exercises and partakes in life. 600 lb life show actually does a great job at highlighting the difference in health of people at the same weight.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
The last time I went to the doctor's office the 4 receptionists were extremely obese women. We're talking like in the 200lb+ territory. It's like walking into a doctors office where the receptionists are chain smoking.

That's more the result of the sedentary lifestyle a medical office job comes with. There is a lot of snacking that goes with that job and many times it is in the form of sweets and overall unhealthy foods. I worked for a few years in a medical office so I saw it first hand. It was a lot worse about a decade ago before the reforms on drug manufacturers were put into place as drug reps would cater lunches for the whole office and send giant trays of food and snacks throughout the week as well to help drive sales in their favor. My mom's best friend is a nurse practitioner and she talks about it to this day about how a lot of her coworkers were very overweight due to this practice. I now see a big push in the field for ball seats, standing desks, and integrating healthy choice rewards into insurance plan costs (i.e. not smoking or health data, like steps or exercise, collection via smart watch).

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched other shows on TLC and they seem firmly in the exploitation business.

I cannot speak for other shows, but in this case you are dealing with people at death's doorstep. Dr. Now is the only doctor in the US even willing to operate on these people for surgery is incredibly high-risk at their weight. Patients have to move to Houston to receive surgery and other treatment, and at 600+ lb any kind of trip is a harrowing undertaking. Imagine having to move across the whole country then. So a lot of tears and drama come with that, none of which I think is being urged by the crew or network. I have no doubt a lot of viewers want drama and the network knows that, but I don't think they need to do anything to serve that drama on a platter. This is by default an incredibly serious situation.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

The format of the episode is usually:
Introduce the patient
Patient goes to see Dr. Now
Dr. Now recommends 1200 calorie diet/day, high protein, low carb.

Patient tries and succeeds on their own
*or* Patient tries and fails repeatedly, and Dr. Now sends them to therapy.

In my opinion they'd be more successful if the therapy was part of the initial recommendation. But Dr. Now always recognizes that there are psychological issues behind the patient's issues and tries to help them realize that.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ah yes. The show that introduced me to Steven Assanti.

One of the most manipulative, pathetic people I've ever seen.

Honestly it seemed to me to be more about shock value and drama than actually treating obese people with respect.

I will say though that's it's opened my eyes to how often the families play a role in the downward spiral. Right after someone gets the surgery and put on a diet plan they walk in to their home to see like 15 pizzas and cakes being passed around and it's like " Fucking really people?" If Dr. Now really wants people to lose weight he should keep them as far away from their shit family as possible.

I remember there was another clip I watched where this 800 pound dude just sat on his bed and played video games all day. His dad was like "He's killing himself and there's nothing I can do about it!" He then proceeds to throw a massive McDonald's bag on the bed with like 3 big Mac meals. "Here's your lunch son". Like wtf? It would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes. The show that introduced me to Steven Assanti.

One of the most manipulative, pathetic people I've ever seen.

Honestly it seemed to me to be more about shock value and drama than actually treating obese people with respect.

I will say though that's it's opened my eyes to how often the families play a role in the downward spiral. Right after someone gets the surgery and put on a diet plan they walk in to their home to see like 15 pizzas and cakes being passed around and it's like " Fucking really people?" If Dr. Now really wants people to lose weight he should keep them as far away from their shit family as possible.

I remember there was another clip I watched where this 800 pound dude just sat on his bed and played video games all day. His dad was like "He's killing himself and there's nothing I can do about it!" He then proceeds to throw a massive McDonald's bag on the bed with like 3 big Mac meals. "Here's your lunch son". Like wtf? It would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Steven Assanti is not only addicted to food, but to pain medicine as well. He's a druggie on edge looking for the next fix, and lashes out accordingly. The show cannot really do much to show him in a good light given his behavior. But this is but one patient out of a hundred or so we have seen over the course of the show, and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone like him. So what I am saying is: his case isn't something you should judge the tone of the show for. If you want the polar opposite of Steven, I recommend you watch Justin's case from the current season - you'll see how wonderful and hard-working someone can be.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Why is a doctor treating fat people fat himself? Am I missing something here?