• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Used to have shooting drills every year when I went to school in the states. In my last 2 years of high school they would tell us to run as soon as we could and leave the school instead of staying just locked down.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I remember doing active shooter drills (we called them lockdown drills) in elementary school in the early to mid 2000s
Really? I graduated in 2003 and we never had one. I'm sure it depends we're in America you went to school. And what grade. I'm in Oregon, one of the first big school shootings was in Oregon when I was in high school, so I'm kind of surprised we never did them here.

Oct 28, 2017
We had lockdown drills going through school, but that was just for any general threat. The only times we really locked down were when a large cat (e.g. mountain lion) was spotted near the school and when an armed robbery hit a business like a mile away from us. The fact that they've gotten so specific is... Troubling, to say the least.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
30 now, had tornado and fire drills in school (elementary, middle, and I think high school), but never an active shooter drill.

Grew up in a medium-small town in the midwest, though. Type of place people left their doors unlocked without worry.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i'm australian. i have no desire to ever visit the usa because i'd be terrified of running into someone with a grudge and a gun. how do y'all feel confident enough to even leave the house????

Oct 27, 2017
It's insane to me that rather than attempt to resolve the mass shooter problem, rather than legislate to reduce the issue, America has instead chosen to twist their society to normalise and accommodate the mass shooter problem.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
It's sensible to have these with the way things are, I get that, it still doesn't stop it being a sad state of affairs. It's so horrible that blood money is prioritised over human lives. All so a bunch of brainwashed fucks can have fantasies about being the good guy with a gun, blowing away other humans for trying to steal their stuff, spouting nonsense about freedom while their kids are forced to practice barricading themselves into their classrooms.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
We do these in my school. In Taiwan, where personal guns are illegal and there is no real threat of violence in schools. It's more about appearances and security theater than anything, for us, but it could save lives in the US.

Used to have shooting drills every year when I went to school in the states. In my last 2 years of high school they would tell us to run as soon as we could and leave the school instead of staying just locked down.

Yeah, run > hide > fight is taught these days, as surrendering or hiding when you have the chance to run are thought to be ineffective.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was naive to think this kind of drill wasn't commonplace for Kindergarten. The way he described it as "Sheep, Shepherd, Wolf" was some sort of dystopian Radiohead lyric.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you're more likely to have an active shooter than a fire now, so these drills are necessary. It's really hard having to look at their faces during the drill though.

Mar 29, 2018
God damn man, that's awful to hear.

It really is awful that future generations are dealing with shit we've never had to deal with. I thought life was supposed to be better for the next generation.
how old are you? i had to do these drills in 2008 in middle school
Also not too be base but the previous generations had to deal with nuclear bomb drills. The generation before THAT with physical punishment in the class, etc

Although in Europe it's all been better

I'm sure it's gonna change. The cultural tide is coming in

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I used to be a substitute teacher back in 2005-2006, and had to do a couple of these. The first time it happened, I didn't know what the hell was going on; one of the kids had to tell me that it was a "Lockdown" drill.

It's fucked up that this kind of thing is needed, but that's where the US is at right now.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Dont know how widespread they were at the time, but we had these kinds of drills in the mid 90's tho they wernt titled "active shooter drills". Same basic steps though.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I have worked in central London private schools and this is a thing here as well. Mostly called "terror" or "intruder alarms"

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
i'm australian. i have no desire to ever visit the usa because i'd be terrified of running into someone with a grudge and a gun. how do y'all feel confident enough to even leave the house????
I've lived in the US all my life, leaving the house is part of life. Yes, we have shootings. Yes, it is tragic and horrible but you cannot refuse to leave your house your entire life. As horrible as it is, you "get use to" it happening.

I had bomb threats in my high school all the time after Columbine. It was scary but we all had to go on with our schooling and life. We never had active shooter drills.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I left the US for Korea for 4 years and had never heard of this before coming back last September, it's ridiculous how common place this is now. I'm a teacher in Texas, it's ridiculous how these are unfortunately a requirement now.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Here, lockdowns are classified as either soft or hard. Soft ones include locking the door, covering the door window, and having the kids stay quiet in one corner of the room. I've yet to see what a hard one consists of.

Of the dozen I've seen, I think I've seen 3 "failed" drills because one student, sometimes a group, won't take it seriously and act like the shooter's there shooting them. It's a joke to them.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think most schools have had these drills but lately they are becoming more important to have even for your work place. You would think as time goes on future generations wouldn't have to deal with it (think of the Nuke scare of past, hiding under desk etc) but shootings is still very relevant.

Until people in gov grow a pair, shootings will keep happening. Some bad faith actors just like to make really loud noises because they dont want to lose money or some sick need to have guns.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

Holy fuck, kids making barricades... Fix your damn country!

I know my country is more violent than the USA in general, but kids should at least feel safe in their schools!

Active shooter drills may as well be part of the curriculum now.

How to hide.
How to barricade.
How to reduce your profile to shooters.

Etc .. etc...

Teachers can give their students a survivability score. The higher the score, the better chance you have of not being murdered.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sorry for you living in the US. Please consider coming to Europe if you can somehow make it work.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember having the similar drills. You put paper on the window in the door, turn off the lights, then be absolutely quiet while staying away from the door. Though they were called "lockdowns" back then.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is a teacher and my kids go to the same school. She came home crying one day because they had an active shooter drill and she realized if they had a shooter I might lose them all. Just having the drills takes a toll.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My son is 4 and has been doing active shooter drills at preschool since he was 2 years old. "Emotional" is one way to describe the sheer anger I feel every time one is coming around. The absurdity of drilling two year olds to avoid bullets is so beyond surreal that it has caused me to question my own sanity.

Oct 25, 2017
Red a while ago that they are building a new school somewhere in the USA with design influences of potential mass-shootings like no long hallways, all hallways must be bend to prevent any straight lines of view and have many potential covers. Aren't there also some kind of bulletproof backpacks? Awful.

It's crazy that the US prefers to adopt to their mass shootings instead of trying to prevent them.

I think in germany we only have fire drills once a year and this already feels like a pretty unrealistic event.
isn't that human nature?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

"These are going to be design elements that are just naturally part of buildings going into the future," he told the news outlet.

The school will be equipped with impact-resistant film on all classroom windows and is designed with curve hallways to have reduced sight lines for a potential shooter, Szymoniak said, adding that there are also barricades in the hallway for students to hide behind.

"To cut down on sight lines further, it also gives an opportunity for students to hide back behind and hopefully get help from within the classroom," he said.

Mad.