• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
That's a lot of 10s. Erm. Bloodborne definitely. Life Is Strange is beautiful but flawed. Super Mario Odyssey was wonderful.

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really have a 10/10 but some games that I couldn't put down this gen were

Iceborne (Monster Hunter)
Persona 5
World of Final Fantasy lol

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
3max.jpg
mhehylmbap41fgtnwqpd_350x200_1x-0.jpg

81KzGGGXAHL._SL1500_.jpg
super-mario-odyssey-switch-cover.jpg

Others would be
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Final Fantasy XIV
  • Ori and the Blind Forest (haven't played Wisps yet)
  • Bloodborne
  • Dark Souls III
Those are all my 10s of this gen, but if I really need to narrow it down, it'll be the four mentioned above.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne
God of War
BOTW
Hollow Knight

I really think it was a phenomenal generation all up. There are so many other amazing games that I could list as well but these were my standouts.

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Dark souls 3
Prey
Red dead redemption 2
Alien Isolation

its been a great gen for games

Nov 23, 2017
I don't have any game rated 10/10 so I'll go with my top 4 9's:

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Death Stranding
4. NieR: Automata

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
My four are pretty easy to pick.

Bloodborne
Pathologic 2
Disco Elysium
The Last of Us Part 2

All excellent games.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
The Last of Us Part 2
Detroit: Become Human

Honorable Mention
Life is Strange
Spiderman
Red Dead Redemption
Until Dawn

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Celeste
Hollow Knight
Outer Wilds
Rocket League

Those are the best and least flawed games this gen IMO, though I also have a consider Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild to be 10s.

BlodiaMkII

Jan 5, 2019
While not 10/10 in the traditional sense, the games I've played that renewed that 'cant put it down' love of games:

Hollow Knight
Fight n Rage
No Man's Sky
Battle Princess Madelyn *(arcade mode only)

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
God of War is the only game I would give a 10 out of 10 for games that released this gen. I still have a ton of games to best to play/beat for this gen, so that could change later.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Rocket League
The Witness
Life is Strange
Ori and the Blind Forest

These are the ones that have hit the hardest, might be adjusted if I have more time to think, but I'm very happy with it. Would've liked to add What Remains of Edith Finch but it is what it is.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I have a sheet with games that I finish and I do score by them but not in numbers.
I classify in classic, excellent, good, mediocre and bad.
If it was in number, probably the only 10 would be the last of us 2 this gen but my top 5 this gen all with classic score were:
1 the last of us 2
2 god of war
3 red dead redemption 2
4 uncharted 4
5 spider man PS4

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
1. Nier Automata
2. Life is Strange
3. Super Mario Oddyssey
4. DOOM

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Tetris 99

Titanfall 2

Doom Eternal

The crazy thing is, I loved all of the Sony first party stuff too. But those are the games I find largely infallible, and came back to the most. Plenty of excellent games this generation.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
The only game I can give a 10 this gen is FF7 Remake. The next three after that are in the 9s.

1. FF7 Remake
2. Nier Automata
3. The Evil Within 2
4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm boring but
  • BotW: I grew up with Zelda and have played most of the mainline games but never truly loved the series until BotW. It really captures what was great about Zelda 1, that feeling of freedom and exploration and discovering mysteries on your own.
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses: Epic in scale yet meticulously detailed, with the best cast of characters I've seen in a game.
  • Xenoblade 2: It's a game with many flaws and weird parts but it completely overdelivers on heart, optimism, and fun. IIRC Takahashi described it as having a "festival" atmosphere and I really feel that, you can tell the developers loved the game and just threw in everything they could.
  • Hollow Knight: I love exploring this world, meeting the characters, and learning the history and stories behind everything.
Also honorable mention to SaGa Scarlet Grace. It's a really interesting, unique JRPG. I feel like it manages to capture good aspects of old games - a strong gameplay focus and a sense of mystery and figuring things out on your own - while combining it with modern player friendly conveniences. It's also a 10/10 for me!

ashbash159

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like it could easily change with more thought but initially I feel like the following:

Red Dead Redemption II
The Last of Us Part II
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Yakuza 0

Edit: I forgot about Half-Life: Alyx because it was only for two days earlier this year and this year has been busy (I haven't really had a memorable gaming year)! I guess forgetting about it is bad but it was honestly one of my favourite games ever still. I need to replay it. I would replace Breath of the Wild with Half-Life: Alyx on my list, but I need to replay it first.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Disco Elysium
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
God of War

Then it's a toss up between No Man's Sky and Dragon Quest XI. They round out my top 5, but I have some minor grievances with both that would hold back 10/10 designation.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
There were no 10/10 games.

But my top four would be

Witcher 3
Breath of the Wild
Red Dead Redemption 2
Last of Us Part 2

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
Horizon
Prey

I have nipticks with Prey and Bloodborne but not enough to taint how bloody amazing and groundbreaking they are

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Hollowknight
Deadcells
Monster Hunter World + Iceborne

Could not think of a 4th. Closest would be Tower of Babel, Children of Morta