• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yiepekaiyei

Nov 20, 2017
Brazil
This kind of shit can bankrupt people, you know. Its a perfectly fair comparison because you allow your child to endanger themselves as well as you by having unfettered access to spending cash with corporations you have no guarantee of getting a refund from.

This is grandma class avisement, thank you very much for this. It's right there with "playing videogames can damage the tv".

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Oh so you made same mistake and now want people to understand it wasnt your fault for leaving an unsupervised child in front of the tv? Cool.
Did you even read what a wrote ya fucking goof? Inflammatory shit like that only works when it's close to the truth, which it isn't, so you just look like a dipshit.

Lucent

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I have a password to confirm purchases. Even if it's a hassle for me, it is better than having to deal with contacting sony/Microsoft/Nintendo. Never know what someone might accidentally do.

Hooe you got a refund, OP. That's way too much money to shrug off.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The second guessing of parenting in this thread (which I wager is being made by some who don't have kids) is really fucking cringey

And the analogy that this is like letting the kid have access to sharp objects??? Pathetic

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You probably didn't need the tools.

After I said I definitely had done enough, I added amok and robo pit which I didn't really want anyway to my cart, and was yet another $50.

And when I took them out I used that to justify buying $50 of sockets.

I don't think a password would have helped in this case.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
My god the parenting tips in this thread... good lord. Here's what you all needed to say:

- ah man that sucks! Kids are quite clever.
- that's perhaps very unethical to have such a giant MTX in a children's game.
- here's how you can ask MS for a refund.
- in the future you should either remove your credit card or put a pin or password.

Helpful advice. No snark. You're welcome.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My god the parenting tips in this thread... good lord. Here's what you all needed to say:

- ah man that sucks! Kids are quite clever.
- that's perhaps very unethical to have such a giant MTX in a children's game.
- here's how you can ask MS for a refund.
- in the future you should either remove your credit card or put a pin or password.

Helpful advice. No snark. You're welcome.

BUT I REALLY NEED TO TELL OTHER PARENTS HOW WRONG AND TERRIBLE THEY ARE! UUUUGGGGGHHHHH

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
your 3 year old did this?

wut

my niece could play with my stuff for years and never accidentally buy something

hope you get the refund

Last edited:

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Sorry to inform you that if you let screen devices that easy to your child before 3 years old, you are the uninformed adult...
The media guideline is :
  • For children under 18 months old, no screen time.
  • For children 18 to 24 months old, parents should choose only high-quality media and watch it with their child.
  • For children 2 to 5 years old, less than one hour per day of high-quality programming is recommended, with parents watching along.

My niece was well under 18 months old and we'd be watching Raffi with her for hours a day.

Five years later, she's brilliant today, super active soccer player and figure skater. I actually do animation with her and taught her voxel art!

Like I get that you read this screen time thing somewhere and thought it sounded right but legit dude, kids love tv. And despite its reputation, tv doesn't just infinitely melt your brain.

Hell how many of us grew up as tv addicts?

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Wait. Don't refund the embers.

Sit your son out on the porch with you and the embers, and have him smoke the entire carton until he gets sick and throws up.

That'll teach him.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
my 1 and a half year old bought mk11 premoum on playstation. my wife was getting him and herself ready to leave in the morning and the ps4 is our main streaming device. and unfortunately playstation only refunds to the wallet, so just saving it on sales i for games i want.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
I have two kids living in my household (5 and 10) and my daughter (8) coming over every other weekend. I setup up everything with two factor auth. and just use a prepaid Visa card for everything online so I only have disposable money to use for stuff like that.

That said, accidents with kids happen very often and when you become parents, it's not your first thing in mind to activate 2fa on your consoles and tablets and whatnot. And when they are old enough to actually play some games here and there you can quickly forget about something like that and while it may not be enough money to bankrupt someone,it can surely put a dent in short term stuff. Buying clothes, car repairs, home repairs etc that also can snowball a bit and can hurt. Just because someone hadn't had their eyes 24/7 on the kid or wasn't able to afford a nanny to go to the toilet or something.

2FA shouldn't be opt in but mandatory imo! Or a spending limit that you have to recertify when you get over. It should not be the standard option that you can spend without limits and destroy your short and maybe longterm future by an accident.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some dumb ass comments in here automatically trying to say something is wrong with the OP's parenting. Get out of the fucking basement people. Jesus Christ.

Sorry OP. Never had that happen to me so I wouldn't even know what to expect. I hope you get a refund.

Oct 28, 2017
You keep saying there are reports and plenty in the news and loads of evidence about kids doing this and I am only asking you to link any of it. I get that you're trying to make a vague point about healthcare, debt and bankruptcy in the US and that something COULD happen to a person who had no idea they had options if their kid accidentally made a large purchase while they were in the middle of this perfect storm but it's insanely unlikely that anyone is going to be forced to file bankruptcy due to an accidental purchase on a gaming console.

15 year old spends $7600 in-game, dad can't get refund: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/17-year-old-uses-his-dads-credit-card-to-spend-7600-playing-fifa

"one 15-year-old racked up $6,500 in charges in about two weeks playing games on Facebook – the company denied requests for refunds.": https://www.revealnews.org/article/...-playing-kids-and-their-parents-out-of-money/

Examples here of grandparents having kids spend £500+ on shit like V-Bucks: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6176661/fortnite-kids-spend-hundreds-v-bucks/

This is just 5 minutes on Google. None of these people got refunds. Do you really think the first two examples there are people who could sniff off those sudden charges? And in the last one, does a pensioner have £500 to just throw around willy-nilly?

Basically, you're ignorant. Child spending is a reality, and can seriously damage finances. Like I said before, which you haven't addressed because you can't address it, would you be able to so easily handle a sudden charge at those levels? Of course not, its unconscionable. Just give me $1000 right now if it isn't a problem for you to so suddenly get charged that much.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even have kids and my consoles are always set up to require a password for purchases. The idea that anyone who gets a hold of my console can just buy random crap without my consent (accidentally or not) freaks me out.

This should really be the default, to avoid situations like OP's. Though I guess the platform holders won't do it unless pressured by laws, because that would put an extra barrier to impulse buying...

Link’s Awakening

Alt account
Banned
Apr 28, 2019
Irresponsible Parenting 101

Always make sure to use passwords and parental restriction settings.

This type of news is is just eye rolling at this point for how common it is.

Deleted member 56055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
This is the reason I never save my card info on digital stores unless absolutely necessary. On PS4 I just buy top up cards on amazon if I'm buying anything digitally. Don't trust PSN after that massive hack years ago.

Good luck OP. Hope you get your money back.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITT l: Many people who do t have children but love the chance to tell other people all about their imagined parenting style!

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory comment, accumulated infractions
So according to Era, hateful racists and rapists deserve more sympathy than parents who are unable to watch their kid 24/7

Really showing your colors, guys.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Hell how many of us grew up as tv addicts?

I look back on all the TV I watched (and much of the video gaming I did) and see it as a massive regret in my life. I don't want my kids addicted to screens not just because of the research that shows how detrimental it is, but because I know how much I personally regret it in my own life.

Just the time wasted alone is staggering.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So according to Era, hateful racists and rapists deserve more sympathy than parents who are unable to watch their kid 24/7

Really showing your colors, guys.
Come again?

OP, what's the status? MS is good about giving refunds in cases like this.

For next time, just set a password for purchases. Luckily you learned this lesson early on in his life. As a parent, there will be times when we do something so boneheaded, that we feel dumb. I had not only one moment, but a couple. This case is more of an annoyance than anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So it was

Truckload of Embers

CAD $649.99 + tax

For those wondering, my wife was in the bathroom, and I was in another room trying to get a 10-month old to sleep. The 3-year-old was playing Disney's Rush game...
Fellow parent here. Fuck anyone in this thread who thinks it's possible to never let a child out of your sight.

It's beyond disgusting to me that there is a single purchase microtransaction that costs 650 dollars. Lootboxes are kind of whatever to me but this kind of thing feels like it should be regulated. That's probably not rational but that's my gut reaction.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the times when the worst thing a kid could do was overwrite your save files?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Set up 2FA or passwords. After years of being sloppy with my passwords (using the same one for different services), i finally got hacked. Someone charged my uber account fo $1500 in trips over 4 days. And someone stole my twitch account.

It took uber over a week to get me my account back. But my credit card company dealt with it in an hour.
Twitch was completely useless. Been a month and ive filled out multiple forma upon request but they never got back to me. I ended up just creating a new account with 2fa on. I will never be making a purchase or subscritpion with them

So, ahem, 2FA and passwords.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Man, I get ticked whenever I have to put in my password to download an app on my phone or download a game, but this topic makes me feel better about it lol.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITT: people who can barely take care of themselves judging someone else's ability to take care of a child
Man, y'all sure are making a lot of assumptions about each other.

Anyway, can't fathom letting a kid use electronics in any way shape or form that doe snot include parental controls or a PIN activated, especially not a 3 y/o. With that said, I'm sure OP will get his money back. When I was last working with payment support teams we referred to these as "friendly fraud" (jargon varies by company). Mom and dad got a talking to on the phone and the refunds were processed, sometimes the account was locked for X period of time.