• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

which

• iPhone

Votes: 163 64.2%
  • Android

Votes: 91 35.8%

• Total voters

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I just dealt with this with my Pixel 3. Cleaned it out, now it charges perfectly and USB cables once again 'snap in' when plugged into the phone. Happened with my previous phone as well. I went weeks thinking my phone was taking a shit.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Thats around the end life of batteries on smartphones if you use them frequently.

If you don't want to upgrade you might want to try cleaning the charging port as others have suggested and slipping in a new battery.

As for iPhone or Android the differences are pretty minimal now (IMO). It goes down to small things and basically boils down to which ecosystem you want to be in. You will be happy using either.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can get a Mint condition iPhone SE for less than $100, if cleaning does not help solve the problem.

If you want continued iOS updates though you should probably look into an iPhone 7 or 8 though. I think this is probably the final year that the SE gets an operating system upgrade.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
As has been said several times; Clean the port then try charging again.

Assuming the phone is faulty, you are being a bit unclear in your question. iPhone is a collection of product lines from one vendor, and Android is an operating system that is deployed over several vendors and product lines. On the software level, iOS is pretty good, but so is Android. On the hardware level a phone running Android can range from poor to superb in terms of quality depending on manufacturer and product line. iPhone is almost always pretty good in terms of hardware. With that in mind iPhone is a safe bet in terms of software and hardware, but Android can be too if you pick a flagship model from a respected vendor.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, how do you get older versions of apps onto your iPhone 4? When I go on the app store everything says I need iOS 10 or newer. Thanks!
When testing this recently, it simply popped up saying "This app requires iOS 10 or newer. Would you like to download an older version?". I simply hit download and it worked straight away. I don't recall doing anything specific to trigger this, though.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me because gunk had gotten up in the charger insert place. I just took a paper clip, bent it, and gently scrapped inside. Look up some videos on it.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
When testing this recently, it simply popped up saying "This app requires iOS 10 or newer. Would you like to download an older version?". I simply hit download and it worked straight away. I don't recall doing anything specific to trigger this, though.

Thanks for your response. I will investigate this later, but I don't remember seeing the 2nd prompt to download an older version. That's cool.

OP
OP
benj

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Felt pretty solid about fishing out some bizarre crumpled/compacted piece of copper out of my charging port last night after my last post in this thread, which did indeed let it charge. Was less thrilled to see one hundred posts telling me to do that exact thing checking this thread again right now.

Anyway this gives the phone some longevity. Its battery life is pretty miserable (I unplug it around 6am and it's usually close to dying by ~4-5pm, and I don't use it much at all), but I'm going to get a third-party to replace that sometime soon, can get it done for like ~$30 in my city.

still, thinking of upgrading sometime soon, still interested in hearing about what I should replace it with

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Heh. That's how my 6 died over summer. And yes we tried cleaning the port. Fixed it with a cheap aftermarket part off eBay since ifixit couldn't send one to me before I went on vacation and i swear that cheap port had wierd issues that ended up killing my battery and making my phone die randomly. So replaced it with an 11 pro. Which I love a lot more than I ever loved the 6 (my least fav iPhone and yet my longest kept).

morall of the story. If you fix your iPhone don't use cheap parts off eBay. Or do if you secretly want justification for finally replacing your phone ;).

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've only had iPhone and I've been pretty happy. If you choose to get another iPhone watch out for iOS 13. It's got a lot of bugs. But Apple has been releasing patches to fix it.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go for an iPhone 11, I came from a SE to a pixel 2 but switched back to the 11. It's amazing, great battery and amazing camera

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Should I replace it with another iPhone or an Android?

I live in California and have Verizon, if that matters. I also have a disease that prevents me from doing any research on this whatsoever outside of making this thread. It is very challenging.

I also work as a game developer and being able to more easily test mobile game prototypes on Android seems nice.

Try a new charging cable and/or adaptor before buying a new phone.

Also - never insert anything into the charging port, or blow at it with compressed air. Use a vacuum.

Apr 24, 2018
Thats around the end life of batteries on smartphones if you use them frequently.

If you don't want to upgrade you might want to try cleaning the charging port as others have suggested and slipping in a new battery.

As for iPhone or Android the differences are pretty minimal now (IMO). It goes down to small things and basically boils down to which ecosystem you want to be in. You will be happy using either.
Hmm...I'm on the verge of replacing my nearly 5 year old iphone 6 and think the battery's on its last legs. Not surprised (but never knew) that 3.5 years is an expected shelf life with heavy usage. Thanks for stating this.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Felt pretty solid about fishing out some bizarre crumpled/compacted piece of copper out of my charging port last night after my last post in this thread, which did indeed let it charge. Was less thrilled to see one hundred posts telling me to do that exact thing checking this thread again right now.

Anyway this gives the phone some longevity. Its battery life is pretty miserable (I unplug it around 6am and it's usually close to dying by ~4-5pm, and I don't use it much at all), but I'm going to get a third-party to replace that sometime soon, can get it done for like ~$30 in my city.

still, thinking of upgrading sometime soon, still interested in hearing about what I should replace it with

you can replace the battery fairly cheaply. If it's fast enough for you then you can keep it until there next big redesign.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Hmm...I'm on the verge of replacing my nearly 5 year old iphone 6 and think the battery's on its last legs. Not surprised (but never knew) that 3.5 years is an expected shelf life with heavy usage. Thanks for stating this.
Repacking the battery with Apple is relatively cheap.