• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

which

• iPhone

Votes: 163 64.2%
  • Android

Votes: 91 35.8%

• Total voters

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Should I replace it with another iPhone or an Android?

I live in California and have Verizon, if that matters. I also have a disease that prevents me from doing any research on this whatsoever outside of making this thread. It is very challenging.

I also work as a game developer and being able to more easily test mobile game prototypes on Android seems nice.

OP
OP
benj

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Do you own and develop on a Mac? If yes, buy an iPhone. If no, buy an Android.
I have an old Mac laptop kicking around but I basically only use it for building out to Mac platforms once in a while. otherwise I use a Windows desktop and a Windows laptop

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My iPad 1 sometimes gets error messages when I plug it in and says the device is not compatible for charging. My iPhone 4 is also slow as fuck.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Most phones will have battery longevity issues at that age. Same thing with car batteries, tires, etc.

Samsung's batteries decay at a much slower rate starting with the Galaxy S8. I imagine similar tech is used in most phones by now.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
The only reason I favor the iPhone is because of the OS Support.
My 3 year-old xiaomi barely received an update last month and I'm no longer using the latest OS.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
If it literally won't show a charging indicator at all, clean your damn port with a paper clip

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
If you want to set it and forget I suggest going with Iphone. If you don't mind shit update schedules(unless you get a pixel) and want the ability to tinker with your phone then choose android.

I've been in both camps, and currently on my 3rd year with an Iphone again.. Don't think I will be going back to android (had a Galaxy S6).. Performance on the S6 really started shitting the bed about 1.7-2 years into its life. My Iphone 8plus is still running pretty solidly and performance hasn't really dipped.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try cleaning the port. Take a Q-tip and cut the shaft at a sharp angle, or just use a thumbtack or paperclip.

Azar

Oct 25, 2017
SFCA
Try taking a toothpick to the lightning port. Work it around in there and see if any gunk comes out. I had an iPhone 5 that became harder and harder to charge and on a whim tried cleaning the port, and pulled a huge compacted wad of lint out of it.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
had it as well. Just use one of those air pressure blower type thingies to clean it.

But to be honest, if you want to replace it, go for another iPhone. I would.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Also came here to tell you to clean the charging port up if you haven't.

had the same problem with my SE and cleaning the port solved it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Check your charging port. If the phone is dead dead and you don't want to get it repaired, go Android.

If you stick with Apple, I assume iMessage is a big reason. And if that's the case, and you already have a Mac, then https://airmessage.org/

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
My iPad 1 sometimes gets error messages when I plug it in and says the device is not compatible for charging. My iPhone 4 is also slow as fuck.
people who intend to keep their gear for this long should be on Android tbh. No matter how well you maintain it, those 2 devices have been rendered obsolete by Apple. They can't be further updated and you need to upgrade.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Should I replace it with another iPhone or an Android?

I live in California and have Verizon, if that matters. I also have a disease that prevents me from doing any research on this whatsoever outside of making this thread. It is very challenging.

I also work as a game developer and being able to more easily test mobile game prototypes on Android seems nice.
Did you try taking a toothpick and cleaning the lightning connector? Over time, dust and debris becomes lodged in there and it eventually stops charging. If you can clean I throughly there's a good chance it'll work again.

people who intend to keep their gear for this long should be on Android tbh. No matter how well you maintain it, those 2 devices have been rendered obsolete by Apple. They can't be further updated and you need to upgrade.
Why would you need to upgrade an iPhone 4? The newest software couldn't possibly run well and the latest apps won't either. You can still get around this and download older versions of apps just fine. You're suggesting that an Android phone from 2010 can run the latest apps and OS smoothly?

I know this because we have an iPhone 4 lying around for a spare number and it works far better than I expected.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to be insensitive, but what's the disease you have that prevents your from doing any research? If you're able to use the internet, you're able to do a lot of research.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I once went to the Apple Store cause my iPhone wouldn't' charge. Like meany people suggested, clean your port. Mine was full of lint.

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
I don't want to be insensitive, but what's the disease you have that prevents your from doing any research? If you're able to use the internet, you're able to do a lot of research.

I want to believe this is a masterpiece of satire.

I also want to imagine you were bowing to your keyboard as you typed this.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Depends on your usage.

Budget - Android

Social -Apple

Games - Apple

Hacks and apps - Android

Oct 26, 2017
I was also in the "Lint in the port" situation. Uncurl a paperclip and make a small "hook" at the end, then enjoy the carthatic feeling of scraping what seems like a never-ending stream of grime. |

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
But most Android devices are lucky if they receive major updates even a year after release, aren't they? Genuine question.

OP, paperclip in the lightning port. Helped my old iPhone.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
But most Android devices are lucky if they receive major updates even a year after release, aren't they? Genuine question.

OP, paperclip in the lightning port. Helped my old iPhone.
Androids are less expensive and much more easily modified. With an Apple device you need to count only on Apple for support. With Android there are things you can do yourself to extend the life of your device.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Try cleaning the port. Take a Q-tip and cut the shaft at a sharp angle, or just use a thumbtack or paperclip.

This. I thought my phone was knackered but I got a paperclip up in there and an ungodly amount of lint from my pocket came out. Worked like a charm.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This happened to me before and it ended up being accumulated lint in the port. Try using a toothpick to gently scrape the inside of it.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
As others have said check the port for lint, its a pretty common problem for lint to build up over the years and block the charging port

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it literally won't show a charging indicator at all, clean your damn port with a paper clip

just chiming in here to say do not use a paperclip. they are usually metal, for fucks's sake. even some that look plastic are just a coating.

use a toothpick or some other slim plastic/wooden implement.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Look at it this way - if for these last 3.5 years you had an Android phone instead, then it would have most likely stopped receiving updates by year 2 at best. If you're someone who likes to hold on to phones for longer then two years then iPhones are the obvious choice. The current iPhones 11's will probably still be getting updates by 2025, based on current trends.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Clean out your port. Also use a toothpick, not a paper clip. And make sure your device is off.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Scrub out the charging port with some IPA and a brush before doing anything else, 90% of iPhone returns I've ever had to deal with for faulty charging ports have literally just been due to a build up of crap on the connectors.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

Haha what? You don't think this is the case for Android phones? If anything, I find after 2-3 years with an Android phone, I am dying for an upgrade, while I can use an iPhone for 3+ years without an issue. I was using an iPhone 5 until 2016 without an issue.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Because a galaxy S4 totally supports the newest version of android.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turn device off

Shave down a toothpick or Q-Tip so it fits inside the charging port

Dip Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol

Scrape gunk and buildup out of the port.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I do all my work on a MacBook and I love macOS, but I haven't owned an iPhone in about 8 years because I could never justify the premium above a top-flight Android phone.

Now that the Pixel range is effectively the same price as the iPhone range, though, I'm considering going back.

EDIT: Also, anyone besmirching Apple's record on supporting older devices is talking nonsense. I've never had an Android phone receive more than two OS updates, and even my Pixel 2 XL only has ten months of guaranteed support left. On the other hand, my primary workhorse is a MacBook Pro that's about to turn five years old, and it runs the latest version of macOS just fine.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do all my work on a MacBook and I love macOS, but I haven't owned an iPhone in about 8 years because I could never justify the premium above a top-flight Android phone.

Now that the Pixel range is effectively the same price as the iPhone range, though, I'm considering going back.

*Hugs pixel 3a*

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just upgraded to an iPhone 11 this week. My first iPhone, I had been android user since forever.

My last 3 Samsung Galaxies (3, 5 and 7) all suffered from performance slow down after a year or two and suffered from poor battery life and usb charging issues as well. I was forced to use slow wireless Qi charging plate for a while lol. Figured I'd try an iPhone out after so many of the same failures on Samsung. I'm sure the charger port may go out at some point on the iPhone too, but at least the performance should stay spiffy, I'm hoping.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Why would you need to upgrade an iPhone 4? The newest software couldn't possibly run well and the latest apps won't either. You can still get around this and download older versions of apps just fine. You're suggesting that an Android phone from 2010 can run the latest apps and OS smoothly?

I know this because we have an iPhone 4 lying around for a spare number and it works far better than I expected.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get older versions of apps onto your iPhone 4? When I go on the app store everything says I need iOS 10 or newer. Thanks!

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Turn device off

Shave down a toothpick or Q-Tip so it fits inside the charging port

Dip Q-Tip in rubbing alcohol

Scrape gunk and buildup out of the port.
Yeah, my SE stopped charging and the reason was that there was huge amount of dust and whatnot in the charging port. Used a needle to get everything.