• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Ok that's impressive, that's 20 years of hardware and software backwards compatibility.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool!! I would insane this works over the internet with Xlink too!

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this has made me prefer Xbox

granted now there are many more reasons now (gamepass, bethesda etc) but the technical marvels ms does with software is just amazing

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
This is so cool!

The way Xbox is dealing with backwards compatibility/generations has me very excited for its future and is probably my primary reason to keep it as my primary platform.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This is so cool!

The way Xbox is dealing with backwards compatibility/generations has me very excited for its future and is probably my primary reason to keep it as my primary platform.
I wish they'd get their entire og Xbox first party lineup on there though, no Amped, Quantum Redshift or Bloodwake(among others) is sad

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they showed this off when the Xbox One X came out a few years back. Pretty neat. Not sure how many games actually take advantage of it. I guess just the few original Xbox games that are compatible.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch right now, but was the Game never patched on the original Xbox? And if there was, what if they didn't download the patch before live went down?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is pretty cool but I wish they did tests of more games, I found it impossible to get this cross-generation linking to work for Gears of War 2, 3, and Halo Wars 1. Weirdly, Gears of War 1 was fine, makes me think they changed up something between games that complicated things.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VMing their consoles is the absolute best decision Microsoft has made. A crazy programming feat, but a brilliant decision.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! That was some of the best times I had with consoles. We setup 4 TV's with Xbox's connected via system link to play Halo, Mechwarrior or whatever each Friday.

Then came kids and responsibilities :P

OP
OP
supercommodore

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Yeah they showed this off when the Xbox One X came out a few years back. Pretty neat. Not sure how many games actually take advantage of it. I guess just the few original Xbox games that are compatible.

Yeah, there aren't that many OG back compat titles. Having LANs between Xbox 360, X1 and Series consoles is probably a more common use case for the LAN features. Even then probably not a common thing, just a cool feature.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing will beat the multiplayer experience of halo LAN parties

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow, is there any version of any of the Halo games that's still LANable that's compatible on latest gen Xbox systems? I could probably convince a few pals to LAN a Halo game for old times sake once COVID has passed, lol.

OP
OP
supercommodore

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Wow, is there any version of any of the Halo games that's still LANable that's compatible on latest gen Xbox systems? I could probably convince a few pals to LAN a Halo game for old times sake once COVID has passed, lol.

MCC has offline LAN support. Otherwise I imagine you would have to try Halo 3, ODST or Reach via 360 BC.

MCC Update | Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Halo - Official Site (halowaypoint.com)

Main caveat of MCC LAN is

In order to setup offline LAN play on MCC, a DHCP enabled hub will be required - these hubs allow IP addresses to be assigned to connected consoles. Alternatively, you can also manually configure the IP addresses for each Xbox via the System Settings for each console on the network. Either way, each Xbox needs to have a unique identity with a network configuration that allows it to route packets.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Spies vs Mercs all day. Maybe I'll finally look into doing some xlinkkai stuff but there's always been some friction in the setup process for that.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I distinctly remember this not working back in the 360 days. You could start it but you'd eventually get a sync error.

Tested on a few games and setups. Glad they fixed it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this was always the case ever since BC went up last gen? I feel deja vu as well in the sense that I remember him having a vid similar to this last gen

Edit:nvm he mentions it in the first few seconds lol

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wouldn't matter if it was. Games come pre-patched when you install them on Xbox One/Series X|S

Yeah, but it's a problem if you're trying to do cross-gen linking because you can't bring the original Xbox version up to parity. I had this issue with Star Wars Battlefront II, but luckily some versions of the disc have the patches baked in, though I think the DLC is still unusable because they can't download it, I can't recall.

The original non-remastered versions of Halo 1 and 2 are weirdly not on Xbox One/Series, so it can't system link to the originals. Halo 3 and up are good though if you grab the non-remastered versions.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
MCC has offline LAN support. Otherwise I imagine you would have to try Halo 3, ODST or Reach via 360 BC.

MCC Update | Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Halo - Official Site (halowaypoint.com)

Main caveat of MCC LAN is

Yeah, since there's no way to play the original Xbox versions of Halo 1 or 2 on X1 or on Series consoles you couldn't have a Halo 1 LAN party with someone of the Original Xbox vs someone on a Series X. Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory are different stories. Also I think the original Xbox version of Double Agent had LAN play for the Spy vs Spy PVP but I could be wrong.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure this was always the case ever since BC went up last gen? I feel deja vu as well in the sense that I remember him having a vid similar to this last gen

LAN is such a uncommon but cool thing in games nowadays that I think it's something worth reminding people of. Obviously this knowledge is less useful now with the current state of the world but you could always use a game's LAN feature to play that game online with friends via something like xlink Kai.

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, but it's a problem if you're trying to do cross-gen linking because you can't bring the original Xbox version up to parity. I had this issue with Star Wars Battlefront II, but luckily some versions of the disc have the patches baked in, though I think the DLC is still unusable because they can't download it, I can't recall.

I see what you mean now. This can be fixed with a modded xbox and a little know -how though.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this still feels like a weird oversight despite them being in the MCC. Getting more Xbox and Xbox 360 BC games is high on my current generation wishlist.

I kind of just wonder if they don't feel like stuff like that is worth it when the remastered MCC versions exist? Obviously the MCC isn't perfect but they've done so much work to that collection that all the games in that collection are pretty accurate to their original releases with mostly minor exceptions. Still I agree that the original versions should be playable on current Xbox consoles. That said, buying the MCC should also net you the original versions of each game in that collection.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I kind of just wonder if they don't feel like stuff like that is worth it when the remastered MCC versions exist? Obviously the MCC isn't perfect but they've done so much work to that collection that all the games in that collection are pretty accurate to their original releases with mostly minor exceptions. Still I agree that the original versions should be playable on current Xbox consoles. That said, buying the MCC should also net you the original versions of each game in that collection.

It makes less sense when Halo 3, Reach, etc. are available in their original forms. Especially Halo 3, since it was released after its MCC release.