• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Holy shit. Never gets old.

That opening set-up as the race starts, you get moving, and BAM! LET'S GO!
I think this was the first 16-bit song I heard from the SNES back in '91 and my mind was blown. 28 years later and it still fires me up.
My daughter recently got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe whatever for the Switch and one of the circuits had an updated Mute City. It was the only course I beat her on because I was so jazzed up and in the zone. I raised one finger of victory into the air and told her back in the day I won many races in the majestic Mute City, back when I was but a young racer with dreams in my heart and electric air blowing through my now- disappearing waves of hair.

What are some of your favorite racing themes, ERA?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
yeah f-zero music is great but R4 has the best racing game OST of all time absolutely no contest.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry OP, but while I love F-Zero tunes, nothing will ever top Daytona USA's OST

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Mute City and Big Blue are of course iconic classics, but when I hear Silence, I am immediately transported back to six years old somehow:

Oct 27, 2017
The Melee version of it is the one that really elevated it, and actually the only version of it I'm really a fan of

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The first song when I think fzero is always Big Blue. Its the go to track in my head. But I do love mute City too!

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For real, though, let's just watch Nintendo's band crush this for Mario Kart 8 for the rest of the day.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
If we're talking F-Zero, then Osc-Sync Carnival/Lightning from GX:

otherwise Soul on Display from GT5:

Camino a Mi Amor from 3D Outrun for crusing:

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand...
yeah f-zero music is great but R4 has the best racing game OST of all time absolutely no contest.

R4 is the apex of racing soundtracks. Nothing else is even close. The arranged album that came out recently has some real bangers too.

And there's this one from a couple of years ago.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Sega Touring Car Championship used the Eurobeat soundtrack before all of those Initial D stuff. They're quite a banger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
No lies detected. The remixes are great but F-Zero really nailed it with the SNES soundfont on the first try.

There's just something about that sound of SNES games (particularly the first-party ones) that has really stuck with me all these years.
Pilotwings, F-Zero, SimCity, Mario Kart, etc. So much credit to Soyo Oka for great compositions, too. I wish she would have made more music for Nintendo over the years.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

The Mario Kart 8 title screen music with its rendition of the Super Mario Kart title music is god tier.

Feb 9, 2018
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate just how awesome the SNES sound chip was? When I was a preteen kid back in 1992 I was in awe of the sounds that came out of that system, and it still sounds great today. I still consider the SNES the best system ever, just ahead of the NES, and the sound chip was definitely a contributing factor to this.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Racing games in general feature some of the best single tracks in gaming bar none.