• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Started and played it for a couple of hours yesterday. Sometimes a game just immediately clicks with you and this is definitely one of those cases. Fantastic atmosphere right from the start, stealth gameplay offers some great options for tackling combat situations, XCOM's brilliant combat system, nice exploration, good writing and world-building, music reminds me heavily of Mass Effect, great visuals, quite challenging…feels like this game was made for me, really diggin' it so far. Hidden gem at the end of the year.

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017
Started and played it for a couple of hours yesterday. Sometimes a game just immediately clicks with you and this is definitely one of those cases. Fantastic atmosphere right from the start, stealth gameplay offers some great options for tackling combat situations, XCOM's brilliant combat system, nice exploration, good writing and world-building, music reminds me heavily of Mass Effect, great visuals, quite challenging…feels like this game was made for me, really diggin' it so far. Hidden gem at the end of the year.

I feel 1000% exactly the same as this. Really enjoying the game, and equally happy that we are getting games such as this on console more and more. I am hoping, given this games table top RPG roots, that we can get future DLC or a sequel as there should be a good deal of source material to pull from to flesh out the world, potentially for several DLC or sequels.

Also glad the game seems to be well received and hopefully selling well.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the lack of posts? Is no one playing this? I just got past the title screen, seems good so far. Looks nice on the 1X but there seems to be a minor stuttering effect, doesn't feel completely smooth.

People who are playing seem to really like it, but it's not like there's a whole lot of buzz around it. The reviews that've come out of major outlets are nothing to write home about either. Hopefully it finds a bigger audience because it really is excellent.

On a different note:
Someone wrote earlier about how the game is all about you engaging with the game on your own terms. In this way, the game reminds me so much of the recent Hitman titles. Obviously MYZ is nothing like Hitman in most ways, but, like Hitman, MYZ works best when it's letting you scout, plan, and execute. I'm probably reaching after hearing that there's some Hitman DNA in the dev team, but it's exciting to see how well they've translated this style of play to an SRPG.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
People who are playing seem to really like it, but it's not like there's a whole lot of buzz around it. The reviews that've come out of major outlets are nothing to write home about either. Hopefully it finds a bigger audience because it really is excellent.

On a different note:
Someone wrote earlier about how the game is all about you engaging with the game on your own terms. In this way, the game reminds me so much of the recent Hitman titles. Obviously MYZ is nothing like Hitman in most ways, but, like Hitman, MYZ works best when it's letting you scout, plan, and execute. I'm probably reaching after hearing that there's some Hitman DNA in the dev team, but it's exciting to see how well they've translated this style of play to an SRPG.
1) Squad-based turn-based strategy isn't exactly super popular outside of XCOM
2) It's an indie/AA turn-based strategy game
3) It's an indie/AA turn-based strategy game with animal mutants including a talking duck
4) It's releasing during holiday season

Nine pages for this OT is pretty decent all things considered

Last edited:

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
I feel 1000% exactly the same as this. Really enjoying the game, and equally happy that we are getting games such as this on console more and more. I am hoping, given this games table top RPG roots, that we can get future DLC or a sequel as there should be a good deal of source material to pull from to flesh out the world, potentially for several DLC or sequels.

Also glad the game seems to be well received and hopefully selling well.

I'm only 2 hours in but I'm really hoping for some DLC. Like you said, with the tabletop roots, there should be a lot of lore to mine.
Now I wish I had gotten the deluxe edition so I could have the pen and paper game too.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Hog rush is your friend. It makes a lot of fights trivial as you can pretty much take down enemies one by one and they can't even do anything about it. All you have to do is make sure you don't knock out an enemy too close to another.

Also when it comes to robots, you can use the disabling skill as well as emp silently without alerting anyone so pretty much the same as hog rush. But for the disabling skill you need to use it with a silent weapon otherwise it will alert everyone else. While the skill says disable enemy for 1 turn, it actually means 1 enemy turn...you actually get to make 2 turns after you disable them.

What's this about EMP and disabling skill? Is the EMP a weapon you find?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Played for 90 minutes on pc and the game is a blast even for a noob of the genre like me.

Good performance with a gtx 1070, 4k30 frames with aa at minimum and shadow on medium.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
I play it.

It's damn hard. I need more medic packs.

I started with permadeath, that was a mistake when you don't know how the systems work & the tooltips/help isn't not too clear either.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Hope to see someone asking about what happen with the x version.

It looks like somebody did just that. Unfortunately, the answer is nothing we haven't heard already.

untitled8ce5a.png

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Trying to find the patch notes for the PS4 because the game is borderline boken difficulty wise on the XBox...yesterday after Selma,I went in the wrong direction and died at a fight clearly over my level because it is very confusing to know which way to go but now I am at the right place and I am still dying...bunch of level 5's but there is too many of them...I guess I dont understand how to pull some to stealh kill them,I get spotted and then its like 10 against 3.I get misses all over the place,even point blank Bormin missed...

I did pick up a lot of scraps,an artifact and all so maybe I will travel to the ark and but some medkits...I have one left,they are expensive,I have no armor for Dux and only an helmet for Selma.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game so far! Could've played it for free with Gamepass, but I wanted to support these devs so I got it on PC.

lopqzdqn.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really followed the game but do you "only" have a couple of characters at your disposal?
Cause that would actually make me more interested in the game tbh. I love both XComs which also means something that's similar but not the same would be more than welcome

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really followed the game but do you "only" have a couple of characters at your disposal?
Cause that would actually make me more interested in the game tbh. I love both XComs which also means something that's similar but not the same would be more than welcome

You control 3 party members at a time from a total of 5.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Do enemies level scale in this? I watched a video of someone playing the same spot I am at and my enemies are level 10s while his were level 5s. I am playing on normal and he was playing on hard. It's impossible for me to kill any of these enemies without alerting the others. At which point I am swamped and killed.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
God this game is fucking awesome, totally living up to my hopes. Love the atmosphere, the theme, the stealth element, and also the greater involvement from actually running from place to 0lace unlike xcom. Decent challenge too, keeping me on my toes even in the early stages

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
God this game is fucking awesome, totally living up to my hopes. Love the atmosphere, the theme, the stealth element, and also the greater involvement from actually running from place to 0lace unlike xcom. Decent challenge too, keeping me on my toes even in the early stages
Yeah, I haven't fallen in love with a game this quickly in a long time. The turn based combat system is super intuitive considering I've never played any of the X-COM games, but I got the gist of it after only the first couple of fights. Incredibly detailed and beautfiul graphics, excellent audio design, cool original character design, the exploration, upgrading guns, skill trees, etc. Love all of it.

People, play this game.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the AMA High Voltage is already looking into the stuttering on Xbox One X.

Hoping for a quick turnaround for a fix.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I'd somehow missed any mention of this until just now stumbling upon it on the ps store, now I'm fascinated.

So it's Diablo x Xcom but you're a 🐖 and a 🦆?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this game, it is really incredible. I do wish the party size was 4 instead of 3, it is just so easy to get overwhelmed. Overall though, the stealth elements are done well and the XCOM-like gameplay is top-notch. I do wish silent weapons were a little more powerful though, it's basically impossible at this point for me to stealth kill anything but Butchers/Marauders and robot enemies since they can be stunned. It's a ton of fun to explore and set up ambushes though, and the combat scenarios force you to think outside the box and use your abilities effectively. Bormin is probably the best character in terms of gameplay effectiveness, but they all have their niche (Magnus with his mind powers, Dux as a sniper, Farrow against robot enemies and Selma as a support/stealth). I do wish the skill trees were a little more unique; Magnus and Bormin have a lot of their own abilities, but Dux/Farrow/Selma have a little too much overlap imo.

Performance on PS4 isn't great, I've had like 3 crashes and a ton of audio issues and pop in. You save so often that the crashes don't cause lost progress (plus the autosave is good, activates after every fight).

Story is light but what's there is interesting and the characters are all enjoyable, with good voice acting. Dux and Farrow are the standouts, with Bormin, Selma and Magnus being more subdued, but they all balance each other out.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I've picked up a few notes but forgotten their clues to secret locations, is there any way to reread them?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Performance on PS4 isn't great, I've had like 3 crashes and a ton of audio issues and pop in. You save so often that the crashes don't cause lost progress (plus the autosave is good, activates after every fight).

Is that on pro or the standard one? I assume 30 unstable fps either way, is that right? Can't be worse than xcom on ps3 though, but I won't pay full price for that performance if that's the case.

How is the game structured? Linear by missions/maps? Or is there exploration and/or side quests on a more seamless map?

Anyone that has finished it can talk on duration and story/writing?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that on pro or the standard one? I assume 30 unstable fps either way, is that right? Can't be worse than xcom on ps3 though, but I won't pay full price for that performance if that's the case.

How is the game structured? Linear by missions/maps? Or is there exploration and/or side quests on a more seamless map?

Anyone that has finished it can talk on duration and story/writing?
Base PS4, don't have a Pro. The crashes are after a patch too, so as of now whatever is causing the issue isn't fixed yet. The crash always happened when I switched out active members of my squad, so consider saving before doing that.

There is lots of exploration and side content, but overall the game is fairly linear. Basically the game is set up into segmented zones on the map, you can select them from the map screen or travel from zone to zone through the ones that are connected to each other. Each zone is its own map with one or two encounters, supplies to find, etc. I'd say about 1/4th of the content is completely optional.

NovaXz

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
New York, New York
I am absolutely loving this game. I am not usually a tactics gamer, but something about the combination of exploration/stealth/interesting characters has got me hooked. Plus, I really like that the percentage numbers to hit are strictly set to 0/25/50/75/100.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Played it yesterday for some hours, it's pretty fantastic. I love the setting and atmosphere, it has been a while that I couldn't put a game down and stayed up longer than planned

Thanks Game Pass :)

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've reached a point where I need to just restart the game. I don't want to lower the difficulty, but I'm officially stuck.

All paths to progress the story or side quests are blocked by enemies that far outlevel me. I'm 27 IIRC. And I've stealth killed pretty much every enemy in the other areas that I can, so now I'll need to bunker down and try to take on enemy hordes.

The problem is two of my characters have one bar of health and the store doesn't have any medkits in stock, so these enemy groups I'll take on will knock out two of my characters in one hit.

Ugh. Maybe I'll just put the game aside and come back to it once they fix the constant crashing when quick traveling.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Ok, I am getting a hang of it. This is NOT an X-COM game and playing it like that is disastrous. Believe me, I learned it the hard way. Playing on normal, you HAVE to use stealth to pick off enemies before engaging the main group. Shaman and electronic medics are the first targets (at least so far for me) you should be focusing on. All of my characters have one silenced weapon so they can pick off enemies as much as possible before getting spotted.

Loving it so far and I can see myself playing it for the second time on higher difficulties. To be honest, normal is pretty tough as it is, I can't even imagine having to use medkit after every encounter.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Ok, I am getting a hang of it. This is NOT an X-COM game and playing it like that is disastrous. Believe me, I learned it the hard way. Playing on normal, you HAVE to use stealth to pick off enemies before engaging the main group. Shaman and electronic medics are the first targets (at least so far for me) you should be focusing on. All of my characters have one silenced weapon so they can pick off enemies as much as possible before getting spotted.

Loving it so far and I can see myself playing it for the second time on higher difficulties. To be honest, normal is pretty tough as it is, I can't even imagine having to use medkit after every encounter.

Started it last night on hard as it was the default setting and health packs are more necessary/harder to come by than I'd like

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
I went down form Hard to Normal last night.

I was stuck between 2 fights I couldn't win & no med packs. Couldn't advance at all, decided that normal was a better way to play than just bang my head on the wall.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
I was really unsure of where to set the difficulty, but I was happy I went with normal after getting my ass kicked on The High Road a few times (ultimately snuck past the encounter there and doubled back later).

The combat is still challenging enough -- you can put yourself in a really bad spot -- while I don't feel short on scrap or anything like that. It's just right.

Game does get a bit easier when you come to terms with how to separate and take down enemies individually, but I had an experience last night where I thought I took out a few hunters, surveyed the scene and thought I could take out the leader. I think my intent was to take them out and then engage the other enemies — all bunched together more or less — as a group after they were alerted. Likely with a different squad selection — I've got some better anti-"grunt" loadouts on my other squad members.

Well, without spoiling too much, I got a big surprise (and it came as a bit of a curveball, even though I maybe should have seen it coming). And next thing you know, I was not in the good situation I thought I was. Four health packs later, I came out on top, but it was a tough battle.

This was up at the map area called, I think, The Horned Demon's Lair. As I was taking out the leader, the giant mech they were trying to power up came online. And my whole squad was in the barn with it.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how different is this game from XCOM? I barely played the first and don't remember it but this has gotten me craving more turn based games.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It looks like somebody did just that. Unfortunately, the answer is nothing we haven't heard already.

untitled8ce5a.png

That's still so freaking weird that it doesn't have at least the same visual improvements that the "worse" Pro has.
Specially since Phil is pumping money into the the GamePass release.
Can't think of any other game since X existence who does this.

But, play this game people, it's freaking phenomenal, feels so amazing.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So how different is this game from XCOM? I barely played the first and don't remember it but this has gotten me craving more turn based games.
You might look at the Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 games for something similar but different. It has the open world with stealth like elements for positioning and gaining terrain advantage, and the turn based system is amazing. X-COM is strictly battle maps without the exploration if that's what you're into.

I'm loving MYZ and had no plans on playing it. I signed up to Game Pass and got this and a ton of other games. This is the first month that felt worth it to me.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018

On a different note:
I cant go anywhere without reading tons of hype and buzz for this game. Every outlet that has reviewed it seems to walk away crazy impressed. It seems the biggest surprises for reviewers was how much they would love the real time exploration and stealth mechanic, and how great, yet subtle the world building was.

Most seem to have not been expecting a lot from this game. Walking in expecting an average indie strategy with slightly above average graphics, and walked out lamenting that there simply wasn't more of the game.

So I am not sure which version of the internet you are looking at, but a quick google shows mew a lot of folk are over the moon for this title. And rightly so, it is way better than it has any right to be. Here is hoping the great feedback and praise result in good sales that entice the developer to produce some updates and DLC. Extra story, new characters, and perhaps some form of rebalanced New Game Plus would help this game's shelf life and replayability.

Status
Not open for further replies.