• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.mutantyearzero.com/news/seed-of-evil-the-new-mutant-year-zero-expansion-revealed/

Finally we get details on the upcoming DLC for the Mutant Year Zero (included in the physical set launching at the same time) though things have been delayed a month to July 30th. The original game was one of the best games of 2018 so this should be something real special.

When a mysterious enemy with the power to control plants threatens the Ark, the Stalkers must use their fighting skills to defeat the enemy's minions, discover the enemy's true identity, and save the Ark.

We highly recommend that you finish the main story in Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden before playing Seed of Evil, due to story spoilers and the level range of the new content.

NEW FEATURES AND CONTENT
Seed of Evil brings a wide breadth of new content to Mutant Year Zero. Discover huge new maps, battle new enemies, improve your mutations, equip new gear, and face off against a vicious new adversary.

CONTINUE THE MAIN STORY
See what happens after the ending of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. The lives of Bormin, Dux, Pripp and the others at the Ark continue. New events are unfolding as the weight of their new knowledge weigh down on them, and a new enemy appears from the shadows of the Zone.

MEET BIG KHAN, A BRAND-NEW PLAYABLE MUTANT
Buying the Seed of Evil expansion lets you add an entirely new Mutant to the team: Big Khan the moose. He is a veteran Stalker who has been exploring the Zone on his own in self-imposed exile. His size and strength make him an excellent fighter, capable of landing highly damaging critical hits against enemies. His unique mutations are Ground Pound and Flame Puke, attacks that make him effective at dealing with groups of enemies.

A NEW THREAT RISES
The Ark has become enveloped in mysterious roots, and many of its inhabitants seem different from their normal selves. Even the Zone Ghouls seem to have changed. This new menace threatens not only the Ark, but the entire Zone, and it's up to your team of Stalkers to set things right!

The new storyline in Seed of Evil offers new challenges in brand new maps. You will visit the Hall of Electric Coffins and the Mausoleum of Suburbia, to name a few. These areas are populated with new enemies, forcing you to rethink your regular tactics.

IMPROVE YOUR MUTATIONS
We're introducing a brand-new mechanic in Seed of Evil that will allow you to upgrade and improve your mutations. Upgrade Bormin's Hog Rush to a Bear Smash for increased power, or change Corpse Eater to Corpse Feaster, so recovering HP no longer costs an Action Point. Dux' Moth Wings can be upgraded to Wings of the Sniper, which removes all range penalties from shots when flying.

RETAKE LOST TERRITORY
Zone Ghouls and Polis Bots are once again encroaching on places like the Spear of Heaven or the Sea Titans. This time they're stronger than ever and your Stalker team is tasked with clearing them out. Beware, though, the enemies are stronger than before!

NEW RELEASE DATE
We have decided to move the release date for Seed of Evil and the retail Deluxe Edition of Road to Eden back a month. The new release date for Mutant year Zero: Seed of Evil, and the retail Deluxe Edition, is July 30th.

We know you're very excited about the expansion, so are we, and we can't wait to see what you think!

Seed_of_Evil_10-1024x576.jpg

Seed_of_Evil_11-1024x576.jpg

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
So it is best to have a leveled up team. The title makes sense given the story I guess. I finished the game in extreme with all maps fully cleared of enemies, missed some artifacts but picked up best weapons.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh lovely.

But: god damnit, another one for the end of July? FE3H, Wolfenstein Young Blood ...some other big game I'm forgetting...

m23

Oct 25, 2017
This game was amazing, loved it so much. Can't wait for this. No news on price?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
So it is best to have a leveled up team. The title makes sense given the story I guess. I finished the game in extreme with all maps fully cleared of enemies, missed some artifacts but picked up best weapons.

I'm looking forward to some new gear. Those 3 silenced weapons have earned a long retirement.

This game was amazing, loved it so much. Can't wait for this. No news on price?

No, but the retail set that includes it is $39.99 USD so I'd expect around $10 for it on its own.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is this free or paid? because the game literally had no ending, it just stops abrubtly.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
is this free or paid? because the game literally had no ending, it just stops abrubtly.

Paid.

And yes the game had an ending. You defeat the group you had been fighting against the whole campaign and then get the reveal to the side plot that had been going on.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I played it earlier this year and ran into issues where the game would crash my Xbox (One X). It was a known issue at the time, does anyone know if this has been fixed?

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Cool, I need to go back and finish road to Eden. I got to a difficult spot where I felt like I needed to grind a bit prior to it (playing on normal btw) didn't want to get stuck in scumm-saving hell.

For those who have beaten it: did you just backtrack a bit (revisiting past locations) to encounter/fight more bad guys? Or did you not find doing that necessary?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Paid.

And yes the game had an ending. You defeat the group you had been fighting against the whole campaign and then get the reveal to the side plot that had been going on.

are you actually defending the ending of mutant year zero?

man people arent joking when they say everything has a defense force on Era.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I need to go back and finish road to Eden. I got to a difficult spot where I felt like I needed to grind a bit prior to it (playing on normal btw) didn't want to get stuck in scumm-saving hell.

For those who have beaten it: did you just backtrack a bit (revisiting past locations) to encounter/fight more bad guys? Or did you not find doing that necessary?

I did go back to areas I was initially underleveled for but once I had a good system for taking out enemies (knock-down, dual shot with a silenced weapon) I was able to thin out encounters to where grinding wasn't needed.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
are you actually defending the ending of mutant year zero?

man people arent joking when they say everything has a defense force on Era.

It's not an amazing ending by any means but it's not anything you wouldn't see in the season finale of a television show. I had it in my head it was going to end after the last fight, and if it had I'd agree with you on its quality, but having that good 5-10 minute reveal was enough to leave me satisfied.

Compare that to Ashen which ends on a disappointing 30 second cutscene that might be revealing something but everything is so aggressively vague that it feels anti-climatic.

Last edited:

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I did go back to areas I was initially underleveled for but once I had a good system for taking out enemies (knock-down, dual shot with a silenced weapon) I was able to thin out encounters to where grinding wasn't needed.
There is a difficulty spike until some point in the game, and you are forced to skip many fights and take advantage of abilities of the pig to ko enemies,use abilities that neutralize robots through iem, and mind control tanks. Then, at some point, while exploring level 45 and above areas, you find guns that do 12 + damage and get very good iem mods for guns, which I put on silent weapons.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difficulty spike until some point in the game, and you are forced to skip many fights and take advantage of abilities of the pig to ko enemies,use abilities that neutralize robots through iem, and mind control tanks. Then, at some point, while exploring level 45 and above areas, you find guns that do 12 + damage and get very good iem mods for guns, which I put on silent weapons.

Oh, and stun modifiers for guns. Those were fantastic in the hands of high crit characters.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Definitely looking forward to more items/enemies types. I felt the number of items was pretty lacking imho i. The main game.

Excited about the moose guy

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The game got a lot easier for me once I figured Bormin's charge doesn't really make noise and can be used to attack an enemy for three turns without going loud. The skills recharge between encounters too so you can just keep taking people out with that.

Deleted member 1481

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curitiba/PR - Brazil
Incredible game, being able to freely walk on the battlefield (while stealth) and preparing ambushes adds so much to the genre.

I honestly think that XCOM 3 should have a similar system because it's just so good, and Jake Solomon can expand it even more.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Still need to finish the main game, but I'm super excited about the expansion and I highly appreciate the post-release support they've been doing. Hopefully the game sold well!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wonder if this is like XCOM where some of the improvements from the DLC show up in the main game.

Been meaning to try this on GP - looks great.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Did they confirmed the price of the expansion on consoles? Loved the game and i am thinking about getting this if the price is nice...
From what i saw from steam page i believe it will be more than $10 on consoles, i am guessing $15 or more... Will wait to see how much it really adds to the game to see if it worth.

Just checked on this one for you. I've been told it'll be $14.99 / €14.99 for both Xbox One and PS4.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Only recently finished this and loved it, had no idea an expansion was already on the way.

Psyched.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, this is on Switch now? Nice! I started a play through on Game Pass, but may pick up the Switch version....after Fire Emblem.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh, this is on Switch now? Nice! I started a play through on Game Pass, but may pick up the Switch version....after Fire Emblem.
We've had some graphics comparisons already from people who nabbed an early copy over the weekend. It's not pretty, to put it mildly. Still very much playable but apparently super super scaled down visuals.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We've had some graphics comparisons already from people who nabbed an early copy over the weekend. It's not pretty, to put it mildly. Still very much playable but apparently super super scaled down visuals.
Hey, at least it's a budget title, right? Well I'll probably be burned out on srpg's after my playthrough of Fire Emblem anyway.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

That's disappointing to hear. The game looked fantastic on other platforms.

jXaU6al.png

Hopefully the UI is at least scaled well for handheld play.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That's disappointing to hear. The game looked fantastic on other platforms.

jXaU6al.png

Hopefully the UI is at least scaled well for handheld play.
Yea UI seems fine. It really just seems the graphics quality has been turned down a lot more than I personally would have expected. I hope they can and will optimize it with updates.

Here's a youtube screenshot:
screenshot_2019-07-309jknm.jpg

Hey, at least it's a budget title, right? Well I'll probably be burned out on srpg's after my playthrough of Fire Emblem anyway.
Yup. Depending on whether you're going retail or digital it's between 35-45€ around these parts.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a few minutes handheld on Switch, and I'm happy. It's not going to win any awards for the visuals, but I'm not too fussed.

It's very low res, and the lighting is much more basic, but it doesn't affect gameplay so far. The only issue I have is that pickups can be hard to spot. There's no outline on them, just a sparkling effect which can be easy to miss in the shimmering pixels.

It's still the closest thing we have to XCom and I can see myself sinking some time into it - but I may be biased because I love the genre and setting.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've played a few minutes handheld on Switch, and I'm happy. It's not going to win any awards for the visuals, but I'm not too fussed.

It's very low res, and the lighting is much more basic, but it doesn't affect gameplay so far. The only issue I have is that pickups can be hard to spot. There's no outline on them, just a sparkling effect which can be easy to miss in the shimmering pixels.

It's still the closest thing we have to XCom and I can see myself sinking some time into it - but I may be biased because I love the genre and setting.
A bit closer would be Hard West/Phantom Doctrine, though. :) (both on sale right now!)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
A bit closer would be Hard West/Phantom Doctrine, though. :) (both on sale right now!)
I've not heard great things about Phantom Doctrine, but but I've played a little of Hard West and yeah, they're also in the same genre. HW is good but for some reason I can't yet pit my finger on, this gives me more XCom vibes.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've not heard great things about Phantom Doctrine, but but I've played a little of Hard West and yeah, they're also in the same genre. HW is good but for some reason I can't yet pit my finger on, this gives me more XCom vibes.
Phantom Doctrine had a bad launch and got lots of post game updates to address gameplay feedback. Not all of it has been brought to the Switch version yet but Forever Entertainment said they are planning to follow through with updates (the original dev basically shut down and they had to take over the port earlier this year).

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Doctrine had a bad launch and got lots of post game updates to address gameplay feedback. Not all of it has been brought to the Switch version yet but Forever Entertainment said they are planning to follow through with updates (the original dev basically shut down and they had to take over the port earlier this year).
Good to know. I may well grab it if the updates hit. Especially as I get the discount from owning Hard West. I love the idea, and it's been on my radar for a while, but everyone seemed to agree that it had plenty of untapped potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.