• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hmm trying to find a good site to dl the Quran to a USB and use it with our radio downstairs, but one source I found ended up having some....odd english tracks from some kind of lecture or whatever :V

Anyone got a good source or site to download from?

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm trying to find a good site to dl the Quran to a USB and use it with our radio downstairs, but one source I found ended up having some....odd english tracks from some kind of lecture or whatever :V

Anyone got a good source or site to download from?
Not sure about a real download, but you could try an app that rips audio from YouTube?

I mostly use the iQuran phone app, sorry can't offer much help there :(

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No worries. I know of a few good sites to convert YT vids into MP3 but umm...when I search on Youtube, I can't seem to find one that just has the reader recite all of it and just the soorahs ^^;

Oct 27, 2017
I get a bit thrown off too sometimes because not too long ago it ended at like 7.30 here in Vienna.

Anyway, Ramadhan begins in about a month and a half. It won't be in the summer this yead so I'll probably have an easier time of it than the last 2 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Ramadhan should be starting in 2 days or so here. Good luck with your fasts, everyone. Especially in these difficult times.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm only working 1-2 days at my base for month of Ramadan and rest WFH, happy that my workplace is so accomodating about this.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Just checking out guys, is there any of us left in this place or everyone migrated somewhere else? Seems like our OT is only alive during Ramadan these days.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I'm not Muslim but happened to view the thread about the Shamima Begum (thanks to a locked thread calling out the moderation, ironically) and Jesus Christ, I had no Idea the mod team were just like the cops/power hunger assholes people have been protesting against. Sorry y'all have to deal with that kinda shit.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I'm not Muslim but happened to view the thread about the Shamima Begum (thanks to a locked thread calling out the moderation, ironically) and Jesus Christ, I had no Idea the mod team were just like the cops/power hunger assholes people have been protesting against. Sorry y'all have to deal with that kinda shit.
That's kinda the reason why most of us either left the forum entirely or only post on the gaming side. I know, I'm not entering discussion of any Muslim related topic on Etcetera in a foreseeable future.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
That's kinda the reason why most of us either left the forum entirely or only post on the gaming side. I know, I'm not entering discussion of any Muslim related topic on Etcetera in a foreseeable future.
Apparently, I've missed out on a hell of a thread. Shout-out to Opto for the stellar summary of that Shamima thread~

This is strikingly similar to the Omar Kadr situation here in Canada, where the lad was taken overseas to Afghanistan by his parents and radicalized during his early teens. Sure enough, when shit hit the fan and he wound up killing a US soldier/medic in self-defense during a firefight, they shipped his ass off Guantanamo Bay. Canada spent years trying to keep him there until our Supreme Court said the government violated his rights as a Citizen. He was a minor and groomed by radicals, but that didn't stop a whole bunch of people from wanting to see him punished as an Adult. The mod in question, with regards to the Shamima thread, basically wanted her sentenced to life as well.

Sympathy for victims of grooming and abuse seems to get tossed out the window the moment religion/race gets involved.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even really practicing but grew in a muslim environment and reading anti muslim sentiment online still makes me feel awful.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I'm not even really practicing but grew in a muslim environment and reading anti muslim sentiment online still makes me feel awful.
Ya, the talk of inclusiveness on ERA kinda falls apart when there seems to be a hierarchy, with regards to which minorities are welcomed.

it's really telling when minority groups are actively leaving the site on their own despite being a "safe space". I've seen some resentment towards gaming side, but who could've guessed OT wasn't much better.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Ya, the talk of inclusiveness on ERA kinda falls apart when there seems to be a hierarchy, with regards to which minorities are welcomed.
Problem is Era hardly see Muslims as a minority, you can find posts arguing that Muslims aren't minorities in a Muslim-majority countries (truly brainiac stuff, but it's there). Basically, Muslim related topics only get a better moderation in a wake of Christchurch-like events.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
it's really telling when minority groups are actively leaving the site on their own despite being a "safe space". I've seen some resentment towards gaming side, but who could've guessed OT wasn't much better.
Yea, I've read about several other groups leaving, such as folks from PoliEra, AsianEra, and TransEra.

I can't imagine what it's like on other forums, which tend to skew less "progressive". Discord seems to be where many folks head off to.

Problem is Era hardly see Muslims as a minority, you can find posts arguing that Muslims aren't minorities in a Muslim-majority countries (truly brainiac stuff, but it's there). Basically, Muslim related topics only get a better moderation in a wake of Christchurch-like events.
This can probably be somewhat addressed by having actual Muslims on the moderation staff.

Shinobi602 was the only Muslim on staff that I was aware of, other than maybe Zhuge (Daniel Ahmad). Neither are mods anymore.

GAF in its prime was probably a bit better for Muslims because they had a couple on their moderation team.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
This can probably be somewhat addressed by having actual Muslims on the moderation staff.
Yeah. But as you can see there's no attempt from the mod team to have any kind of discussion with the Muslim members of the forum. This OT not even on the official list of OTs. Sadly, I think Era is simply not the best place for our community.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Yea, I've read about several other groups leaving, such as folks from PoliEra, AsianEra, and TransEra.

I can't imagine what it's like on other forums, which tend to skew less "progressive". Discord seems to be where many folks head off to.

Shinobi602 was the only Muslim on staff that I was aware of, other than maybe Zhuge (Daniel Ahmad). Neither are mods anymore.

GAF in its prime was probably a bit better for Muslims because they had a couple on their moderation team.
Yeah. But as you can see there's no attempt from the mod team to have any kind of discussion with the Muslim members of the forum. This OT not even on the official list of OTs. Sadly, I think Era is simply not the best place for our community.
Might be the wrong place to ask, but is there a summary of mod transgressions anywhere? I did an advanced search and haven't been able to find much. I always thought people who complained about moderation were people who said inflammatory things, but that's obviously not always the case and I'd like to know what biases they have.

Also, I wish there were a tagging feature on this site so I don't forget.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Might be the wrong place to ask, but is there a summary of mod transgressions anywhere? I did an advanced search and haven't been able to find much. I always thought people who complained about moderation were people who said inflammatory things, but that's obviously not always the case and I'd like to know what biases they have.

As far as I know there's no summary on the issue. I think our main problem with the moderation is the kind of discourse the mod team allows in Muslim related topics, it simply wouldn't fly in other threads. Yesterday's thread is something else tho.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

There usually isn't a summary of that type of stuff on Era, since it either gets locked or deleted. Probably because they perceive it as mod-whining~

PM me if you come across a good place or discord server for our community. Era is primarily a Gaming hub for most us anyways~

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
It does annoy me, when I look at how other minorities are handled, and yet, we will always be seen by most as the enemy, and seem to be in an endless cycle of having to prove ourselves, or loyalties etc. Re, the situation on here has really been brought to light with the original thread on Shamima Begum.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
As far as I know there's no summary on the issue. I think our main problem with the moderation is the kind of discourse the mod team allows in Muslim related topics, it simply wouldn't fly in other threads. Yesterday's thread is something else tho.
There usually isn't a summary of that type of stuff on Era, since it either gets locked or deleted. Probably because they perceive it as mod-whining~

That's what I thought. I would've never come across the Begum thread if I didn't see Opto's thread by chance.

Thanks for replying and I do hope something good comes out of the meetup and the mods acknowledge that they have certain biases and fucked up rather than dig their heels in and deflect.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Apparently, I've missed out on a hell of a thread. Shout-out to Opto for the stellar summary of that Shamima thread~

This is strikingly similar to the Omar Kadr situation here in Canada, where the lad was taken overseas to Afghanistan by his parents and radicalized during his early teens. Sure enough, when shit hit the fan and he wound up killing a US soldier/medic in self-defense during a firefight, they shipped his ass off Guantanamo Bay. Canada spent years trying to keep him there until our Supreme Court said the government violated his rights as a Citizen. He was a minor and groomed by radicals, but that didn't stop a whole bunch of people from wanting to see him punished as an Adult. The mod in question, with regards to the Shamima thread, basically wanted her sentenced to life as well.

Sympathy for victims of grooming and abuse seems to get tossed out the window the moment religion/race gets involved.
Oh but when white people get radicalised as minors, it's all about rehabilitation on this forum despite no grooming or abuse going on. Props to Lord Of Ostia for fighting the good fight on that Shamima thread.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Eid weekend was great, played a bunch of badminton and cricket with families over in the backyard and did BBQ.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Just gonna say that it's a bit disappointing (but not unexpected) to see Muslim issues getting brought up in the Asian meeting just to be completely ignored by mods and admins. Oh well.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Just want to send my best wishes to y'all. I know when I first got active on this site I expressed my thoughts on a couple Islam-related topics in a manner that was less than respectful, and I apologize. Been putting in effort to make myself stand back and let people speak their truth... but I've also noticed the dwindling Muslim presence, making that opportunity more and more rare. I actively miss a few of the users I used to see around. I'm sorry.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Folks, I wonder how many of us are still here? From what I can see there's about 5 Muslims left on the forum. I didn't realize it was this bad.

I don't know, I guess we need a place to hang out outside of this circus.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Salam guys. Just followed, didn't know we had a Muslim community thread. I'm an Arab American revert, I left the faith as a late teen because my main exposure to it was Wahhabi and Qutbi practice in fairly insular communities here in Florida. Came back when I made some more Muslim friends my age online that introduced me to Sufism. I'd like to get to know how many other Muslims we have on here as well as it really doesn't feel like many.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Salam guys. Just followed, didn't know we had a Muslim community thread. I'm an Arab American revert, I left the faith as a late teen because my main exposure to it was Wahhabi and Qutbi practice in fairly insular communities here in Florida. Came back when I made some more Muslim friends my age online that introduced me to Sufism. I'd like to get to know how many other Muslims we have on here as well as it really doesn't feel like many.
A lot of people aren't open about their faith and I'll say a good chunk of the most prominent members of our community either got banned or nuked their accounts. As you can see there're good reasons for that.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Sorry for the double post, but I have to say it. This forum is clearly not a good place for our community. It never was. It never will be. We can have all the patience in a world, but we won't see any positive change. I'm tired of this bullshit. I'm tired of inaction. I'm tired of seeing members of our community getting ridiculed in every Muslim related topic, unless it's a Christchurch like tragedy. We deserve better than that.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, I wonder how many of us are still here? From what I can see there's about 5 Muslims left on the forum. I didn't realize it was this bad.

I don't know, I guess we need a place to hang out outside of this circus.

I've definitely noticed our voice has dwindled.

Do we have a Discord or something? Would love an invite.