• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Try Cd Baby or The Orchard. They'll handle digital and physical distribution if you choose to. There's a few others as well but I think these are probably the best ones, CD Baby has great reach and options for you. Best thing to do is check out the site and go through everything they can do.

https://www.cdbaby.com/

They even do this: https://members.cdbaby.com/free
This is a great post! Do keep in mind, though, that The Orchard never works through artists directly. The artist has to go through a label! That's what I had to do with the Orchard. :)

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Finally uploaded my first cover of 2018 to YouTube :)

I've been taking advice from The Kree on editing my vocals, since it's something I definitely struggle with. I do think I'm starting to make some improvements! I hope y'all check it out/enjoy, as well as throw any tips my way for editing vocals to sound pro! I still have so much to learn as an editor. ^^;

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Finally uploaded my first cover of 2018 to YouTube :)

I've been taking advice from The Kree on editing my vocals, since it's something I definitely struggle with. I do think I'm starting to make some improvements! I hope y'all check it out/enjoy, as well as throw any tips my way for editing vocals to sound pro! I still have so much to learn as an editor. ^^;

I just got the notification (im subbed) and checked it out. Fantastic man. I came on here to give you props and saw this post. So yeah. Awesome job man. We were fawning over you in the dating era discord chat lol

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I just got the notification (im subbed) and checked it out. Fantastic man. I came on here to give you props and saw this post. So yeah. Awesome job man. We were fawning over you in the dating era discord chat lol
Hahahaha for reals?! I never thought a guy like me would be the topic of dating era! ^^; I really appreciate that. And thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to check it out!! <3

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
After spending hours looking at vids on YT I finally convinced myself to buy a Maschine MK2. My plan is to use it to make beats then mix them on hubby's decks. I have a good idea of what I want to make, but i guess like everything else getting those sounds out is the difficult part.

Anyway, this was my first mix. It starts off ok then goes all wonky donkey for the last few minutes but it's a rough idea of what I'm aiming for

https://soundcloud.com/user-469785819/my-first-dj-mix

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I put my first attempt at a mx on Bandcamp. It's not very good but I'm seriously thinking about buying a Maschine so I can make my own stuff
Are you just starting production? I wouldn't recommend Maschine as the first product

Edit: Just saw your other post, might be useful if you're using it to integrate into a live setup

The others said most of the feedback about the piano, but to be more direct, I could immediately tell it was midi programmed & not played. In layman's terms, it sounds robotic. When it comes to MIDI composition with all acoustic instruments, it's important to consider the human factor. For example a human is never going to play a 1/4 note exactly on a 1/4 note the same way a computer can, or play the same velocity on each note the way a computer defaults to when programming MIDI. Consider micro adjustments to timing & velocity - there are lots of more fleshed out tutorials on effective MIDI editing for acoustic instruments. Also as for the actual composition, to avoid being too linear, various harmonies might help.

Outside of that pretty decent track

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Are you just starting production? I wouldn't recommend Maschine as the first product

Edit: Just saw your other post, might be useful if you're using it to integrate into a live setup

I like messing about on the dj controller but I get frustrated that I can't make my own music. So I thought getting a Maschine would be a good place to start. I expect it'll take a while to get the hang of it, but I'm really looking forward to plugging my digital piano in and seeing what I can come up with.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
The others said most of the feedback about the piano, but to be more direct, I could immediately tell it was midi programmed & not played. In layman's terms, it sounds robotic. When it comes to MIDI composition with all acoustic instruments, it's important to consider the human factor. For example a human is never going to play a 1/4 note exactly on a 1/4 note the same way a computer can, or play the same velocity on each note the way a computer defaults to when programming MIDI. Consider micro adjustments to timing & velocity - there are lots of more fleshed out tutorials on effective MIDI editing for acoustic instruments. Also as for the actual composition, to avoid being too linear, various harmonies might help.

Outside of that pretty decent track
Thank you for the input man. I'll make some few tweaks to make it sound live. I'd probably add some more instruments. Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I like messing about on the dj controller but I get frustrated that I can't make my own music. So I thought getting a Maschine would be a good place to start. I expect it'll take a while to get the hang of it, but I'm really looking forward to plugging my digital piano in and seeing what I can come up with.
For sure it can be a great place to start - the only thing to be aware of is Maschine is advertised by Native Instruments as a "groove production system". In other words it's used for coming up with beats - using drums, samples, etc etc. It's very good at that, but technically it's not a full fledged DAW (digital audio workstation) the same way as Logic Pro, Ableton, etc. for recording & production. As long as you know that, it's an awesome product for what it does - go nuts :D

Do you have an Audio Interface?
The Maschine hardware has a built in audio interface afaik

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Maschine hardware has a built in audio interface afaik

I'm aware, but it's if she had a simple interface already, as she said she has been having fun playing with the DJ controller/decks already, also she's had something up on Bandcamp/Soundcloud so I wasn't sure.

For connectivity for keys... you could go direct to PC, or via Midi on the NI (and Akai as well I think) but probably keep it simple with a USB > midi cable.Something like this

I would also recommend looking into Akai MPC Touch and as you're new to this, MPC software is excellent, with great sample editing capabilities too. DAW integration has been introduced as well.
Akai MPC Touch

Otherwise for general interface and DAW integration the NI Maschine is a decent first choice, partly cause Komplete is partially included too.

Another contender if you want deep integration and enhanced workflow is Push (you'd have to get Ableton as well), and though it's more expensive when buying both the hardware and software, it's very versatile/powerful combo. (this one is good if you have an audio interface, as push has no analog i/o, just two pedal controller sockets)
About Push
Push Bundle Pricing With Ableton

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
I'm aware, but it's if she had a simple interface already, as she said she has been having fun playing with the DJ controller/decks already, also she's had something up on Bandcamp/Soundcloud so I wasn't sure.

For connectivity for keys... you could go direct to PC, or via Midi on the NI (and Akai as well I think) but probably keep it simple with a USB > midi cable.Something like this

I would also recommend looking into Akai MPC Touch and as you're new to this, MPC software is excellent, with great sample editing capabilities too. DAW integration has been introduced as well.
Akai MPC Touch

Otherwise for general interface and DAW integration the NI Maschine is a decent first choice, partly cause Komplete is partially included too.

Another contender if you want deep integration and enhanced workflow is Push (you'd have to get Ableton as well), and though it's more expensive when buying both the hardware and software, it's very versatile/powerful combo. (this one is good if you have an audio interface, as push has no analog i/o, just two pedal controller sockets)
About Push
Push Bundle Pricing With Ableton

I was thinking of just plugging my keyboard into my laptop, recording it then importing the file into the Maschine. It's not really a big deal if I can't. I'm more interested in seeing if I can create some basic house beats and vocal samples, then use the dj controller to mix them.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, you could do that. You can plug and record your keyboard direct into Maschine to save some time though edit in the Maschine software... or as Maschine is your interface also you can use it to record via laptop into a DAW. Then edit, export/import back into Maschine your loops/samples.

There's a ton of stuff on YouTube (even if it's older models of Maschine, still applies) that can guide you if you get stuck on setup.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Yeah, you could do that. You can plug and record your keyboard direct into Maschine to save some time though edit in the Maschine software... or as Maschine is your interface also you can use it to record via laptop into a DAW. Then edit, export/import back into Maschine your loops/samples.

There's a ton of stuff on YouTube (even if it's older models of Maschine, still applies) that can guide you if you get stuck on setup.

I'll try that. Someone recommended using Audacity because it can also convert mp3 to wav which would be useful for spoken word samples. I tried mixing in Jello Biafra with a house track this morning but his voice is so high pitched it sounded awful.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
I revisited an old track recently and reworked it to be big thumping business. Here it is - let me know what you all think!

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
I have an old micro but I make all my stuff on maschine. I've been meaning to go back to FL Studio and maybe learn logic or abelton since it's all everyone uses but ive put too time in maschine now to bother lol.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have an old micro but I make all my stuff on maschine. I've been meaning to go back to FL Studio and maybe learn logic or abelton since it's all everyone uses but ive put too time in maschine now to bother lol.
I don't use any of those :P. I used Logic once upon a time briefly, but Logic Studio is no longer supported once Macbook Pro is updated to High Sierra (thanks Apple still running Sierra)... so I dropped the DAW anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland

I like the Late Night track. It sounds like he's underwater.

Edit. My Maschine's arrived. It was a lot easier to set up than I expected. All the buttons and pads are a bit overwhelming but I watched a YT video on how to load stuff in and I love it, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
El-P produces on Maschine, recorded into Pro Tools. But the actual music is through Maschine

also don't worry about what everyone else is doing

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Hi Musicera, I thought I'd share the thing I just finished working on. It's a cover of "Dosed: by RHCP (with a little visualizer I made). I'm trying to go beyond drums and learn guitar, and mixing and recording this last year and this is my second major crack at it! I played everything but the vocals :D

https://vimeo.com/251530964

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Hey Music-ERA. I'm interested in making some music, but I don't have too much experience with it. Does anyone have any good beginner advice? Or is there another thread for this type of suggestion?

I remember back on GAF there was a thread where a group of members made some albums from scratch using software over a year. Do we have anything like that here?

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Music-ERA. I'm interested in making some music, but I don't have too much experience with it. Does anyone have any good beginner advice? Or is there another thread for this type of suggestion?

I remember back on GAF there was a thread where a group of members made some albums from scratch using software over a year. Do we have anything like that here?
There was this thread from a little while ago :

https://www.resetera.com/threads/music-production-era-how-to-get-started.6094/

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada

It's different for everyone but I would suggest starting with a user-friendly program (that includes a bunch of instruments and effects from the get go like FL studios) that isn't expensive so you're not throwing money out the door on hardware or "cool/pro" stuff.
Then, try a bunch of different things. Like I said, composing is different for everyone, especially if you don't have any musical theory knowledge.
What type of music are you willing to create?

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
It's different for everyone but I would suggest starting with a user-friendly program (that includes a bunch of instruments and effects from the get go like FL studios) that isn't expensive so you're not throwing money out the door on hardware or "cool/pro" stuff.
Then, try a bunch of different things. Like I said, composing is different for everyone, especially if you don't have any musical theory knowledge.
What type of music are you willing to create?

A friend and I are working on a game project. I'd like to see if I could make something that could eventually be turned into dynamic music. But to be honest, I'm new and I might just be using words wrong.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
A friend and I are working on a game project. I'd like to see if I could make something that could eventually be turned into dynamic music. But to be honest, I'm new and I might just be using words wrong.
You'll be able to transform a full track into dynamic music by exporting it layer by layer and parts of it into your game program. Events or actions will then trigger or "unmute" layers in time/sync. Best would be wav files in order to keep the best possible level of quality.

Nov 4, 2017
Hi Era, today I finally finished my first music project. It's a Grime/Rap mixtape.

Thousand Eight is a "Mini Opera" style Mixtape I started writing when I was 18 in, well.. 2008.

It just gathered dust on my hard drive for all these years until I got back into songwriting & music last year, just re-wrote alot of the lyrics but kept the concept the same.

Appreciate any feedback, I recorded & produced it myself & I'm no expert at all so it's bound to so unpolished. Pretty nerve-wracking sharing material for the first time!

https://soundcloud.com/anthonymafia/sets/thousand-eight

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Hey music friends :)
My newest YouTube video is up! And it's completely nerdy.

I just wanted to say thank you to The Kree for giving me some tips on audio editing! Still not perfect but I'm learning! If anyone else has other tips, please throw them my way!! :)

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
EDIT: Fixed by resetting all Ableton settings, something in my default template was obviously messing with it.

I own a Moog Sub 37, and just recently it's started doing something which I'm 99% sure is an issue on Ableton's end. I'll assign the Moog as an external instrument on a MIDI channel, I'll click on the channel, mess around on the synth, make a sound or whatever, bob's your uncle.

But as soon as I click off that MIDI channel within Ableton to go onto another channel, it immediately defaults to this one exact same sound where it's just a single saw wave with the pitch LFO going nuts. Doesn't matter what I'm doing on the Moog, if it's a preset, my own sound, etc. if always goes to this exact same sound.

It's as if some kind of MIDI controller is locking onto the moog to change all its parameters to the exact same thing every time, so I tried removing all MIDI input on the Moog's channel and that didn't work either. It's clearly a software issue due to what causes it, but I can't figure out for the life of me why it's doing that. Haven't done any software updates or anything since this started happening.

Last edited:

atmegatron

Dec 27, 2017
Subbed for future participation...!
I'm still building my home studio after moving some time ago, taking waaaay too long with it, haven't produced anything in the last 2 years.
Hopefully 2018 will be the year I can finally pump out some stuff again!
...or I will just get lost in GAS & aimless noodling :P

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Subbed for future participation...!
I'm still building my home studio after moving some time ago, taking waaaay too long with it, haven't produced anything in the last 2 years.
Hopefully 2018 will be the year I can finally pump out some stuff again!
...or I will just get lost in GAS & aimless noodling :P
Hey, you own an atmegatron? I know the guy who made it :)

Or are you Paul himself?..

atmegatron

Dec 27, 2017
Hey, you own an atmegatron? I know the guy who made it :)

Or are you Paul himself?..

Neither actually
But I find the concept pretty cool with the flashable different firmwares. And since I was checking details on this synth by the time I created my account here, the decision on username & profile pic was easy

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Neither actually
But I find the concept pretty cool with the flashable different firmwares. And since I was checking details on this synth by the time I created my account here, the decision on username & profile pic was easy
Yeah, it's a fun little machine. I'm too stuck in my ways with soft synths to have made much use of mine yet, though :(

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017

Finished my third track. It's about hatred... you hate what you don't understand.

I sampled Ugandan knuckles tongue 'clucking' in the chorus.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't find this thread, but wanted to share this;

Spotify data analyst and jazz pianist Kenny Ning took it upon himself to analyze the key of every track on Spotify. The most popular keys are G major and C major. Together, they make up over 20% of all music on Spotify.

keys.png

In a nutshell, Ning says its easier to play in those keys which isn't surprising. What does surprise me is that A minor is less than 5% of all songs.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Trying to work on getting my keyboard fingering back, I'm sheet music literate, but I've got a lot of work to do(like fully getting chords down). Also working on fixing a glitch on my keyboard. Managed to pick up an old Korg Sg1, but there's a program glitch so that several keys aren't responding(B's left of middle C, B flats right of middle C, and occasionally d sharps and g sharps left of middle C) pretty sure it's a midi glitch because I popped it open and there was no issue mechanically, and occasionally all the keys other than those lower d sharps will work. So been needing to grab. Midi to usb cord and try an override with my laptop to see if that'll fix it. Until then it's kinda hard to practice

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Neither actually
Plus it has the advantage of including the best Transforner in its name.

I have the Atmegatron. Great synth. Great company/designer. You can get some great C64 type beats going and the circular parameter change knobs are really intuitive.

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic music guys!

I've been struggling massively trying to get the best possible mix for one of my bands songs, so it'd be great if anyone had any comments.

https://soundcloud.com/buriedgiants/20-01-18-pdj-mix/s-VfJ8M
I'd say there is a lack of distinction between verse/chorus, which makes the song sound a bit monotonous. It's arguably a compositional matter, especially due to the drums, but you could probably alleviate the issue with some smart eq work. I also find the vocals lacking in headroom and a bit muddy during verses, when the singer sings lower notes and the right guitar strums. There's also a weird void at 4:03 ("when will you take your [x] medicine") which may be intentional? Otherwise you might want to patch that up with some reverb.

That said, it does sound pretty good! Nice crescendo at the end.

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
I can buy one synth. Alpha Juno + an effects pedal or the Minilogue? What would you do? What would you do!?