• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
China's receptiveness to Western media is a recent phenomenon, and they could cut it off tomorrow and not suffer half as much as the film industry, game industry, etc. would over here. I'm sure that's the fear at Apple, Blizzard, Disney, whatever - China doesn't need the West as much as the West needs China.

It's not suffering, they just make a little less mega profits than usual. Worth it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Receipts? How does he even find that out?
But how does he know he was banned?
This is what I want to know
How would he know this? Did Mr. China call him to inform him lol?
How... does he know he's banned? Did his future events in China get canceled?
EDM artists like touring China (EDC China), it's not a stretch to assume that he was probably informed of this through the Chinese Embassy in the US

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Window

Oct 27, 2017
China is being really weird by trying to push its soft/cultural power globally while also being isolationists by cutting off outsiders and overseas culture so strictly. I don't see how they can achieve the former if moves like this continue to drive a cultural divide.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This seems like a really random thing to joke about though, especially considering he's toured China plenty of times. It's probably real, the CCP is petty as fuck.

Ironically, him joking about this will probably net him a ban if he wasn't banned before.
Seems like it's a topical thing to joke about TBH.
We'll see in time I guess... but if he's joking and people are taking it seriously, it's just adding to the misinformation.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
China bans the entire world from entering China.

Also, they already closed your Weibo account.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I said "fuck China" a couple months ago and now have abdominal pain.

Soft power is real.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this even true, it sounds like one of those boomer memes where you "repost these banned phrases and Obama will censor you"

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, this is like that old reddit meme of "You have been banned from /r/Pyongyang" for even the smallest anti-NK comment, except real.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
China is being really weird by trying to push its soft/cultural power globally while also being isolationists by cutting off outsiders and overseas culture so strictly. I don't see how they can achieve the former if moves like this continue to drive a cultural divide.
The same with them trying to give wealth to their people without giving them political power/responsibility. Eventually the divide is just too obvious.

Considering how China actually was more open culturally before Xi took the power, I would think that the people eventually have enough of this cultural oppression. I don't know how it will end though.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
China has more power than this. They could cause a lot of damage. Manufacturing, for starters, if they want to make an example of someone large.

Oh the Chinese government will still do whatever it wants, but they're losing traction and they know it. They can't do 1989 again, but they wish they could. They're lashing out at so many small, petty slights. They're making Trump look stable, and that's really saying something.

I think they know that a new Peoples' Revolution is coming and they know they can't stop it.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Nah, it won't be.

These irrational acts are out of desperation. They're slipping. This isn't what someone in control, someone in power does.
They've been banning people for years over hanging out with the Dalai Lama. This isn't a sign of anything.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is. It was never like this before. Hanging out with the Dali Lama is a lot different from hitting star on a tweet. They're unhinged.
They murdered 2500 students in the street for wanting freedom, but you think banning a Twitter user from the county is finally a sign of them slipping? What's wrong with you?