• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I know Limp Bizkit gets a lot of justified shit, but I feel like the rest of the band is so much more talented than Fred Durst. If you stripped out his goofy vocals you'd have some really proficient instruments. Case in point:

What bands are ruined by a bad singer/lyricist?

Sep 12, 2018
Porcupine Tree. Don't mind his voice and I love the band's sound but wow are some of Steven Wilson's lyrics cringeworthy.

"This is a hate song, meant for you.
I hope when you hear it you'll want to sue."

"Xbox is a god to me.
A finger on the switch my mother is a bitch
My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

My friend says he wants to die.
He's in a band they sound like Pearl Jam
The clothes are all black the music is crap."

(Yes I know it's from the perspective of a teenager but it's still beyond silly especially coming from a 40 year old man.)

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Dreamtheater : I usually like their music (at leats the music made when Portnoy was still there) but i never could stand Labrie's voice. Weirdly enough, i like Labrie when he is singing for Ayreon.

Pantera : cool ass riffs, groovy and all. But i can't stand Anselmo's way of singing. I prefered him during their Hair Metal phase.

Meshuggah : i love the weird stuff they do musically. But Kidman's voice has always prevented me delving deeper into their music. It's horrid to my ears.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Dream Theater - Labrie's voice is good, it just does not match the music

Danzig - Nothing particularly bad about Glen's vocals, but I had an interaction with him where he treated me less than dirt. Napoleon called and wants his syndrome back. Biggest asshole I've ever had the displeasure of meeting and yes that does include all other people I've meet in my life.

Last edited:

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Kenny West
giphy.gif

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Billie eilish

I love her songs and I used to listen to her before she got big, never knew anything about her.

Then I have seen her persona and her fans... I feel dirty

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Coheed and Cambria for me. They have interesting song structures and cool rhythms, but that voice makes it sound like a Mars Volta parody. I'd like to like them but I can't.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Porcupine Tree. Don't mind his voice and I love the band's sound but wow are some of Steven Wilson's lyrics cringeworthy.

"This is a hate song, meant for you.
I hope when you hear it you'll want to sue."

"Xbox is a god to me.
A finger on the switch my mother is a bitch
My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

My friend says he wants to die.
He's in a band they sound like Pearl Jam
The clothes are all black the music is crap."

(Yes I know it's from the perspective of a teenager but it's still beyond silly especially coming from a 40 year old man.)

There was another one recently where he's lamenting Facebook. Yeah Steve Wilson just makes me depressed, I can't take the whining. The musicians on his albums are first rate though, no doubt.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Limp Bizkit is a good choice, especially back when they had Wes Borland.

Korn used to be one of my favorite bands back in the day. I try to listen to them sometimes as an adult, and their music is still pretty damn good. But Jonathan Davis's whiny ass singing and lyrics are intolerable to me now.

Coheed and Cambria for me. They have interesting song structures and cool rhythms, but that voice makes it sound like a Mars Volta parody. I'd like to like them but I can't.

They're definitely an acquired taste. The first time
I heard them I thought they were a joke. But now they're one of my favorite bands.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get this, but it hurts me. Coheed and TMV are 2 of my favourite bands.

I also very much like The Mars Volta, but that's the thing: this guy sounds like he's trying to do that, except he's overdoing it. Nothing negative to say about the rest of the music, it's just the voice that makes it hard for me to listen to them. Granted, I never gave them a proper chance beside a song or two here and there. Maybe after a while I'll get used to it.

I mean, I got used to this voice, so anything's possible.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017

I've seen coheed live 11 times, lol. I can't imagine their music any other way now. Claudio Sanchez and his vocal range set the band apart from so many other bands that sound the same.

I understand it can be jarring at first though. If you ever do manage to get on board with this type of singing, i would also recommend a band called Circa Survive :)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen coheed live 11 times, lol. I can't imagine their music any other way now. Claudio Sanchez and his vocal range set the band apart from so many other bands that sound the same.

I understand it can be jarring at first though. If you ever do manage to get on board with this type of singing, i would also recommend a band called Circa Survive :)

Will give it a shot, thanks for the tip!

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Anything from Kings of Leon... Subjectively I should like the music, but something about the band and songs rubs me the wrong way. If I'm out and one of their songs come on, it's time to visit the bar or the toilet.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I absolutely LOVE metal. I also cannot stand death growling AT ALL. I feel like I am missing out on so much incredible music, but grunting/growling lyrics just takes me out of the song instantly.

Hence why, to me, Iron Maiden will forever be my King

U2

i cant properly explain myself, but i can't stand Bono

Same. "Where The Streets Have No Name" is one of my favorite tracks of all time DESPITE it being a U2 song. I prefer the Avalanch cover

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Smashing Pumpkins.

I wanna beat Billy Corgan up for being a royal prick that goes on InfoWars. But I can't deny that I enjoy the Pumpkins music.

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
Prog rock/metal is full of bands like this for me. Great music, but so many singers in the genre sing like they're the front man for a cheesy 80s hair metal band.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Will give it a shot, thanks for the tip!

I'd suggest starting with Good Apollo Star IV. Not only is it one of their best, but it's probably their most accessible as well.

To answer OP's question, I'd say Bob Dylan. I totally appreciate the craft of his music, but I hate the mans voice.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Smashing Pumpkins

For a different reason than what the topic is about. I grew up with the Pumpkins and loved everything about them, vocals included (when I got used to them), but over time it's become more apparent just how much of a crazy jerk Billy Corgan is. Mostly post breakup, but there were signs before this.
Maybe he's always been this way and it wasn't clear before, I don't know, but... yeah he's just a shitty asshole. I strongly dislike him.

I love the old stuff though.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I dont think ve listened to enough, but bowie. Some songs he sounds great, and his instrumentation and writing are top notch. But his voice sometimes can be really bad

Its why i like low so much, its just music and some hooks

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I like a Robert Plant solo song (big log), but hate his vocals on LZ

I like Stevie Nicks by herself, but she's my least favorite Fleetwood Mac lead singer (despite liking a bunch of FM songs with her as lead). I don't dislike her as lead, I just like Christine and Lindsey more.

My favorite Mastodon songs have Brann as lead

Rush and Yes both hit this category

Scritti Politti

And controversially, this is part of the reason I like New Order over Joy Division