• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with the premise of the thread?

• Strongly agree

Votes: 20 5.1%
  • Agree somewhat

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Agree

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Disagree

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Disagree somewhat

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 363 92.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bug and kinda snack
Try to catch them in your trap
Feed somebody and you'll see
We are whatever we eat

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
This might be the worst take I've ever read on this god forsaken site.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Is the original line on this "we all like drinking" or am I just doing some bad lip reading?
*Pushes up glasses*

This is from the Deep Space Nine episode "Bar Association," where Rom (the alien in the image) forms a union with his fellow workers to collectively bargain for better pay and working conditions from his brother, who owns the bar.

In this image, he's telling his brother that, "We are going on strike!"

This episode also features one of my favorite observations about Americans Ferengi:

Ferengi workers don't want to stop the exploitation, we want to find a way to become the exploiters.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just even the thought of comparing music to video games or TV or movies is preposterous. Music has been around since the dawn of humanity. It's a natural human instinct to find rhythm and melody in nature and in life. It is still sold as a commodity but you dont need to own a single thing in order to enjoy music. You can whistle and sing and clap and bang on surfaces and you've got music.....

God...this is just the worst take I've ever read.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of amazing how the OP manages to fit not one, but two, of the worst takes on media I've ever seen in one post.

I mean, everybody is obviously calling out the ridiculous statement from the title, but man, imagine thinking that in movies more often than not the first two acts are boring. Like, goddamn.

OP
OP
gunlovefiction

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is just like onanism where it is just socially accepted, but nobody stops and think the damage it does to them, when you have such maladaptive behaviors for so long you even become defensive to the idea that you may be wrong, as exemplified by this thread.
This is something I had not even begun to think about. Thank you. I wonder how many other things are like this in our society.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Music was my first love
And it will be my last.
Music of the future
And music of the past.

To live without my music
Would be impossible to do.
In this world of troubles,
My music pulls me through.

Oct 27, 2017
It is just like onanism where it is just socially accepted, but nobody stops and think the damage it does to them, when you have such maladaptive behaviors for so long you even become defensive to the idea that you may be wrong, as exemplified by this thread.
Or..... that there's literally tons of research detailing the beneficial nature to repeated musical exposure, exhaustively exploring the effects that come with it. The only negatives of music therapy is that it could provide over-stimulation to a recipient of brain damage or trigger association with a traumatic event. These are incredibly specific case scenarios. The effects are overwhelmingly positive.

Like, this is the only time Era's contrarian inclination on mundane subjects has made me legit upset.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Can you or the OP articulate why and how music is damaging aside from the fact that you can listen to it instantly?

Might honestly be in the top 3 worst opinions I've ever read on the internet.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
avengers_infinitywar_movie_screencaps.com_15494.0.jpg

me when i haven't came or listened to music in a year

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Music is probably one of the most primal, pure and enjoyable ways to relieve stress tbh.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't have a battle-station so I can't really add anything. I like music and I like video games and I like movies if that means anything? Also, my PC goes through my TV - so I can literally do all 3 things right now all with a click of a mouse button. Individually though because as I said I don't have a battle-station.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The main point I am getting at here is that music is the most instant form of instant gratification out there [1].

references:
1 - Psychology Today. (2017). The Benefits of Delaying Gratification. [online] Available at: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...er/201712/the-benefits-delaying-gratification.

From the article that you quoted, OP:

"Pleasure is central to our survival...Some of our most important rituals—such as praying, listening to music, dancing, and meditating—produce a kind of transcendent pleasure that's become part of our culture. In this way, feeling good in the immediate term isn't such a bad thing. It's provided us with an opportunity to survive and experience some relief from our stress.

But what happens when you want to be instantly satisfied in all areas of your life? What happens when you only avoid pain? What results from needing to have the newest and most expensive car, even though you're in horrible credit card debt?"

In other words, listening to music is fine - it's so fine, in fact, that it's part of the key pleasures of being human - but you shouldn't buy an expensive car you can't afford, that's bad. The article (which, as an aside, I feel is poorly written and has a lot of really bad jumps to conclusion) doesn't claim that music is the gateway drug to poor money management or bad life choices.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i agree, i have 14299 mp3s on my phone right now and its not even 25% of my collection of music. i need an intervention.

it's a terrible perversion, a malady that consumes one's soul, leaving nothing behind but a husk of a man ringing with tinnitus...

edit: oh god i am downloading more right now please god make it stop oh no not a solo album from Neurosis guitarist Steve Von Till noooooo

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Let's post the music we're listening to right now. I'm listened to a new album by Seventeen Years Old and Berlin Wall, a Japanese shoegaze band.

Status
Not open for further replies.