• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree with the premise of the thread?

• Strongly agree

Votes: 20 5.1%
  • Agree somewhat

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Agree

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Disagree

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Disagree somewhat

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 363 92.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Creating a troll thread
Whenever I get the occasional urge to actually play a game these days I usually just end up listening to some music instead. All it takes are two button presses and I am instantly bombarded with more than enough dopamine to satisfy that initial urge. A few album can sate my urge for hours.The main point I am getting at here is that music is the most instant form of instant gratification out there [1]. With games you have to walk over to your battle-station and turn it on before actually clicking a few buttons and starting to play. When it comes to film, you have sit through a (more often that not) boring first and second act before getting to all the juicy action set-pieces in the final one. All you have to do to listen to music is go on your phone, which is probably already on, press the app and then press whatever is on your homepage. Would it be wise for streaming apps to make it harder to listen to music?

references:
1 - Psychology Today. (2017). The Benefits of Delaying Gratification. [online] Available at: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...er/201712/the-benefits-delaying-gratification.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I... what?

Music has much broader social functions than just being gratifying.

This is almost as dumb a take as the whole 432hz vs 440hz 'debate'.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
What....? No. I can't "just listen to music". Music is important, but it's secondary. It enhances whatever else I'm doing.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird thread formatting (and what the fuck is up with the multiple choice poll), but I agree somewhat. But I guess it's up to how easy it is to just listen to a single bite and still open the doors to a whole section of memories in your brain. And we usually listen more to music than we read books or watch movies (even if you are an avid reader or a cinephile, it's waaaay easier to just pop a 3-minute song on Spotify).

I wonder if things would change if smell-based media became a thing. Imagine walking through a burning pile of garbage and instantly be reminded of the team matches in Fall Guys.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If listening to "Be OK" on repeat until I can manage to get out of bed is bad, I don't want what's good.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
convenience is not harmful, and your example of it being a button press away on your phone applies to literally all media.

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats OP, this is the single worst opinion I've ever seen on this site.

The therapeutic and beneficial effects of music are incredibly well documented. Good read a book on it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The streaming app part is hilarious because it's just as easy to open a game or movie or book on your phone as it is to open Spotify

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
With games you have to walk over to your battle-station and turn it on

zQ23W3B.png

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is absolutely insane. It is just as many clicks for me to turn on my XBOX and play Halo, or a movie or tv show, as it is to turn on my XBOX and play music through spotify...but I also don't see how that makes any of them harmful. I'm going to go outside, play guitar and make myself better...but you keep on with your bullshit.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
but what does getting butter on laundry have to do with putting cheese on burgers, OP?

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those shower thoughts that should've never left the shower.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
For once, the guy bobbing his head while putting a gun to his head gif would be relevant, if still very tasteless.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If your other media is not engaging you sufficiently that is because they're worse. Being engaging isn't a flaw for art...

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I... what? This sounds like maybe you enjoy listening to music more than playing video games or watching movies? Which is totally fine, but doesn't make it harmful.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I mean, I find it easier and faster to fire up the switch than to decide what I feel like listening to. I pick up the switch and I'm playing a game in about 2 seconds flat.

It takes me longer than that to get to spotify and figure out what the hell I feel like listening to

Oct 25, 2017
It is just like onanism where it is just socially accepted, but nobody stops and think the damage it does to them, when you have such maladaptive behaviors for so long you even become defensive to the idea that you may be wrong, as exemplified by this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.