• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There's this old game that Giant Bomb played on a stream once, made by SEGA, where some kid gets transported into a virus or something, and you just hit buttons and they do a random action.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
REZ feels like a great option

Also i found shooter like Doom II to be also incredible amazing.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
My parents just got a new 4K tv after their 10 year old 1080p TV broke, and I just got a Series X and wanted to show them something that would really make the colors pop so they felt good about their investment

Thus began a 6 hour dive into Tetris Effect Connected, and everyone in the family agreed - this game would rock on acid or molly.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
My parents just got a new 4K tv after their 10 year old 1080p TV broke, and I just got a Series X and wanted to show them something that would really make the colors pop so they felt good about their investment

Thus began a 6 hour dive into Tetris Effect Connected, and everyone in the family agreed - this game would rock on acid or molly.
It would be fucking unplayable. I was playing Celeste during the come-up on my last trip and eventually I literally could not move my character anymore and instead went to examine my cats closely. Game looked like wobbling, sparkly rainbows and I really wanted to look at real life.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hotline Miami. Tetris Effect. Geometry Wars. Astrobot. Swinging in Spider-Man and horseback riding in Ghost of Tsushima. God bless psychs.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I think Manifold Garden has to be up there

Manifold Garden is probably it, and that's not just recency bias talking. That game is mind-expanding and if I play it on a large screen instead of a PC monitor and stand close enough, I get vertigo and actually feel like I'm jumping off of things.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I've tripped a few times and found Tetris Effect to be the most reminiscent. Quite the transcendent experience.
Really? I thought it was almost unplayable on psychedelics. Just lining up the pieces and staying in the game made me terribly anxious.

Watching other people play Tetris was killer, though.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
220px-LSD_Coverart.png

I mean it's literally called LSD
Clearly not enough streamers are playing this, or it would've been the first post.
LSD-Dream-Emulator-English-Patch-1280x720.jpg

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
The opening video to the Beatles Rock Band pretty much made a friend of mine start worshipping the television one night.

Other than that, there's a lot of coordination and attention required for games that can tend to be uncooperative in such a state depending on the person.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Really? I thought it was almost unplayable on psychedelics. Just lining up the pieces and staying in the game made me terribly anxious.

Watching other people play Tetris was killer, though.
I didn't mean to suggest I was playing while tripping. No, that would be impossible. Instead, it reminded me of times I've tripped!

Oct 26, 2017
My music journo backround forces me to say that Dark Side of the Moon is not anywhere near classic psych rock. It is a great prog record, tho. Try Pink Floyd's debut for some real weird vibes. Or 13th Floor Elevators.

yeah, Dark Side is great, but it's downright mundane compared to some of the 30 minutes free jazz solo bullshit sound collage out there

I have a hard time thinking of a game to nominate. You'd need something with an elusive but present narrative, powerful imagery, a sense of struggle but not violent. Kinda comfy too. Earthbound kinda fits, but it feels a bit more 60's.

edit : uh, I thought of Flower, Sun & Rain. It kinda works, if Dark Side was a bit more Beach Boysesque and more meandering. and half the lp was the same track but slightly different.

Last edited:

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
lol I misread your post, I was honestly blown away anyone could handle Tetris while tripping.
No, you're right! On a low dose I could probably watch it or play on speed 1 but on a medium or higher dose... Yeah, no way. Even just looking at wet pavement at that point can be very stimulating. I'm imagining doing that ritual level *shudder*

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Games are really grounding on psychedelics, so the effects aren't as crazy as you would expect. However, I've played a few games while tripping that were at least enjoyable due to the sensory load.

Thumper and Tetris Effect in VR are great.
Furi is excellent.
I played Katana Zero in its entirety in one sitting while tripping on a herculean dose of shrooms two days ago.

All in all, staring at a screen while tripping sort of mutes the effects and I think it's less pronounced than most posters who haven't done them before would realize. But it certainly makes music and color nicer.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard anyone mention Proteus in years. Man how I loved just spending time in that world...

Yeah, it's a shame that it hasn't made larger ripples. It's a wonderful experience! One of few games that have managed to leave such a long-lasting impression on me.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Does anyone remember N2O: Nitrous Oxide for the PS1? Obviously the not the right drug, but it's absolutely one long reference to tripping. The entire soundtrack was just an album by The Crystal Method. It's always the first example I think of when people bring up games like this.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Games are really grounding on psychedelics, so the effects aren't as crazy as you would expect. However, I've played a few games while tripping that were at least enjoyable due to the sensory load.

Thumper and Tetris Effect in VR are great.
Furi is excellent.
I played Katana Zero in its entirety in one sitting while tripping on a herculean dose of shrooms two days ago.

All in all, staring at a screen while tripping sort of mutes the effects and I think it's less pronounced than most posters who haven't done them before would realize. But it certainly makes music and color nicer.
Yeah this is also true. Looking at a screen while tripping can be kind of a bummer, you're better off just throwing on some music and going for a walk around your neighborhood. REZ worked for me because of the way the music and visuals interacted with each other. Plus, the music is just phenomenal. Outside of that I haven't had much success mixing the two....

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Super Mario Odyssey is pretty wild under these conditions. I thought that polygonal food kingdom would be the most trippy section but surprisingly New Donk City was. Absolutely mind blowing...

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this game posted on era once and then never heard of it again until I recently went looking for it. I think it fits the bill but is a massive pain to google correctly. I type it as 0 north 0 west: