• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Geometry wars
Everything
Every extend extra extreme
Pix cat

Generally something passive, so let's play videos of other games like Katamari, noby noby, etc.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Sayonara Wild Hearts with some headphones on and a deep focus is a journey.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Proteus is the first that comes to mind. But I guess it isn't particularly popular.

Killer 7 if you want to just lose your mind, I imagine 😸

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't really know what drugs are like but I made this thread about Hamsterball once, maybe it fits weed more than psychedelics but it certainly is some kind of trip
www.resetera.com

I think I found the best video game to play while on drugs*

*actually I've never done drugs and have no idea what drug of choice would enhance this game, but please feel free to offer your sage advice I downloaded this Hamsterball game on my PS3 ages ago because it had some 7-player mode and it was mildly amusing to play this weird party mode for 10...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
rez was really something else back in the day.

but kind of became old hat as the "play while trippin balls" game. it doesn't do much for me now, even in VR with that bespoken VR mode

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Used to play Tony Hawk after parties 20 years ago. I think anything that's high on muscle memory works pretty well.

Would love to try VR but I'm not much of a recreational drug user any more.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
7UvvsAN5h4dqhjn3eKAsjZ94D0wdXJyzmO6Vm1_r2NIS4Uayk_WhIYVjsfPZB2C4km04gkJ_S7mjXjpF2neC3tT6RDalcNUXbxJnB0_1xiQInlmBFalykqoXSMeFCQ

Oct 27, 2017
When you think about it, it should be Mario, but the bizarreness of the series has become so normalized we don't think about it

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm going to say Flower. It's gameplay, concept and visuals are simple enough that you can really lose yourself in it, but it also has enough of an arc to it that really engages you in a journey.

It's all about the trip, man...

EDIT: I feel I need to ask...are we talking games that are representative of the experience or games that enhance/define the experience? Those are very different things.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I think Manifold Garden has to be up there, Superliminal would also work pretty well. If it's just colorful trippy stuff I think EarthBound should be mentioned, Jet Set Radio maybe is a little too much to handle so I'll add Yoshi's Island.

Edit: OH! I forgot Okami, Okami has to be really something.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Rez HD

Tetris Effect

Katamari Damacy

Everything

Thumper

Dyad

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Lumines Electronic Symphony

LSD Dream Emulator

Dreams (specifically, Dream surfing, think it's really wild how you can hop between completely different, unrelated experiences with distinct artstyles and mechanics etc, one minute you can be playing some weird earthworm jim like platforming game, then you'll be whizzing around as a spaceship)

Grim Fandango

Jeff Minters Polybius

Jul 17, 2018
My music journo backround forces me to say that Dark Side of the Moon is not anywhere near classic psych rock. It is a great prog record, tho. Try Pink Floyd's debut for some real weird vibes. Or 13th Floor Elevators.

As for psych-games, try everything made by Llamasoft.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I've tripped a few times and found Tetris Effect to be the most reminiscent. Quite the transcendent experience.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should check out the many games by Jeff Minter.

Tempest 2000/4000
Space Giraffe
Polybius
Moose Life

The last couple have VR support and are really great on the platform.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
My music journo backround forces me to say that Dark Side of the Moon is not anywhere near classic psych rock. It is a great prog record, tho. Try Pink Floyd's debut for some real weird vibes. Or 13th Floor Elevators.

As for psych-games, try everything made by Llamasoft.
Agreed, maybe ummagumma or atom heart mother would be better, analogy-wise.. as for games: hohokum, dance central and ranko tsukigime's longest day would work

Oct 29, 2017
I think weed doesn't do much for me but I tried thumper and Tetris effect and didn't really feel any other way about it. Rez vr I still want to try. Now I did try the sims while high and I thought I was making a high art house. Turns out it was just a bunch of diagonal walls and shitty windows on every inch. Pretty dumb

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
This old PC game called Gadget is one of the trippiest things I've played, it defined a kind of aesthetic too.