• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need to solve basically every puzzle in a case on Normal with no assists to get an S rank?

Pretty much, yes. I think in one or two cases the S rank might have been reached before the last puzzle, but I might probably misremember.

There are no puzzles you can miss, I think. But not being able to just jump straight to and improve already finished ones after solving a case is unfortunate, hopefully they'll add that option.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is a joy and I am loving everything about it. It's picross with a Phoenix Wright veneer and the script is genuinely punchy and funny in the typical over the top way. K.C. in chapter 1 is especially fantastic.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm dumb but is there no way to back out of a puzzle without finishing it?

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Maybe I'm dumb but is there no way to back out of a puzzle without finishing it?
There doesn't seem to be. My daughter wanted to play UGG on our Switch and I couldn't figure out how to safely back out to a save point etc. Game definitely has some polish issues like this, with the poor wraparound behavior on the grid, and I even had a bug once where the game didn't recognize a puzzle was complete even though the grid was fine. I ended up having to blank then reenter a square to get it to recognize.

That said this has been fun and as mentioned above a good diversion before Animal Crossing. As someone who fully finished Picross S with no assists it's not been hard, but still fun.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
You can always keep B pressed when deleting one box and then just move the cursor around to delete all. Not optimal, but better than reloading imo.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
Overall this game is excellent, the writing is surprisingly enjoyable. BUT... there's no way to exit a case and move to a different case? I'm apparently the only one dumb enough to do this but I finished Case 1 with an S rank, then accidentally went back into Case 1 and now I can't get out without finishing the entire case again... Noooooooooooooooooo!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overall this game is excellent, the writing is surprisingly enjoyable. BUT... there's no way to exit a case and move to a different case? I'm apparently the only one dumb enough to do this but I finished Case 1 with an S rank, then accidentally went back into Case 1 and now I can't get out without finishing the entire case again... Noooooooooooooooooo!
why not? you can select new game and then select case 2.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017

you don't need to replay the case again.

On the title screen, select New Game. You can pick Case 2 from there.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Man this one B-tier memory from Case 2 is kicking my arse. I've come so close to solving it 4 times now only to find a mistake somewhere and have to start from beginning.

Can anyone confirm that if I use the point-deducting hints on Scout's Memory puzzles mid-case that it doesn't do actually affect my case score? I shouldn't think it would since memories don't give points in the first place but I don't want to have to risk replaying the whole case just for the S-tier puzzle.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it saved your progress in a puzzle, at least in the Scout's Memories ones. The recent 3D Picross game, Voxelgram, does this.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started Case 2 today after S-ranking Case 1. I'm finding that I... actually seem to like picross, which is a thing I didn't know about myself (I didn't really know what it was until this game, though if memory serves Mass Effect Andromeda had similar mini-games, which is probably where I first encountered the game type). The 15x15 grids are definitely a challenge, but I think the game does a good job in its tutorial of instilling the most important mechanisms and strategies in you, and from there it's all about practice and identifying 'row collisions' and taking every new piece of information and making sure you're applying all of it. It's oddly addictive.

I think the game on the other hand... I just wish it was more full-bodied than it is with the case-solving stuff. Showing people evidence is fine, but it would have been interesting to have a few segments where you need to provide pieces of evidence in succession to prove your case, or some kind of gamified fail state to be aware of and avoid. Basically I just want this thing to BE ace attorney with picross, and I get that that isn't fair... but if there's ever a MbN2, I'd think the devs have a very obvious way to increase the scope of the product.

edfear

Feb 6, 2020
Just started Case 2 today after S-ranking Case 1. I'm finding that I... actually seem to like picross, which is a thing I didn't know about myself (I didn't really know what it was until this game, though if memory serves Mass Effect Andromeda had similar mini-games, which is probably where I first encountered the game type). The 15x15 grids are definitely a challenge, but I think the game does a good job in its tutorial of instilling the most important mechanisms and strategies in you, and from there it's all about practice and identifying 'row collisions' and taking every new piece of information and making sure you're applying all of it. It's oddly addictive.

I think the game on the other hand... I just wish it was more full-bodied than it is with the case-solving stuff. Showing people evidence is fine, but it would have been interesting to have a few segments where you need to provide pieces of evidence in succession to prove your case, or some kind of gamified fail state to be aware of and avoid. Basically I just want this thing to BE ace attorney with picross, and I get that that isn't fair... but if there's ever a MbN2, I'd think the devs have a very obvious way to increase the scope of the product.

This is a very fair evaluation and I totally see your point. I had a very strict rule in my head that there should be no fail state in this game, for two reasons: because I wanted the game to be relaxing and not punishing, and because I really hate the fail States in Phoenix Wright. Really really really hate them.

That said, I did want to have situations where you had to present certain things at certain times, but unfortunately we ran out of time and I wanted to focus what time we had left on the most important core parts of the game.

It's definitely something I'd look to again if we get the chance to do a sequel, but I can't imagine I'd add a HUGE amount more detective mechanics - the downside of trying to pitch a hybrid game to two audiences is that everyone disagrees on the balance between the two things. I think we did a fairly good job for a first stab at an entirely new thing, and there's definitely tweaking to be done, but I don't think I'd upend it hugely (unless the consensus somehow massively changes, anyway!)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very fair evaluation and I totally see your point. I had a very strict rule in my head that there should be no fail state in this game, for two reasons: because I wanted the game to be relaxing and not punishing, and because I really hate the fail States in Phoenix Wright. Really really really hate them.

That said, I did want to have situations where you had to present certain things at certain times, but unfortunately we ran out of time and I wanted to focus what time we had left on the most important core parts of the game.

It's definitely something I'd look to again if we get the chance to do a sequel, but I can't imagine I'd add a HUGE amount more detective mechanics - the downside of trying to pitch a hybrid game to two audiences is that everyone disagrees on the balance between the two things. I think we did a fairly good job for a first stab at an entirely new thing, and there's definitely tweaking to be done, but I don't think I'd upend it hugely (unless the consensus somehow massively changes, anyway!)
oh wow! great to see you on era. i really hope you get to do a sequel.

edfear

Feb 6, 2020
oh wow! great to see you on era. i really hope you get to do a sequel.

I'm trying not to post much because I want people to feel free to slag off the game if they want, and there's literally nothing worse than a Defensive Developer, but I'm bored on a train right now 😄

Oct 25, 2017

I think overall it's a really excellent game with great characters and incredible presentation, so congratulations on that! I'm glad that there's some consideration at deepening some of that stuff, but at the end of the day the purity of this release is admirable, and it does what it does very well indeed. Thanks for the comment, and again congratulations on the release!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the second case. Still having a good time. It's been satisfying seeing myself get better at the Picross.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying not to post much because I want people to feel free to slag off the game if they want, and there's literally nothing worse than a Defensive Developer, but I'm bored on a train right now 😄

Just wanted to thank you for the game - I wish I could say something negative but I love everything about it. Characters, gameplay, writing, art-style, music all make this a perfect package and one of the early contenders for the GOTY.

Feb 8, 2020
Did anyone else miss the S Rank in case 3? I never use hints, so if that's what guarantees you the best score, is it possible I just missed a puzzle somewhere?

I enjoyed the case a lot, though. I'm very into the story and characters. I'm really hoping this game does well.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the release, edfear!

Something I'm curious about - as someone who works on a yearly puzzle event but has never made nonograms before, how did the team develop and tune difficulty for the puzzles?

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else miss the S Rank in case 3? I never use hints, so if that's what guarantees you the best score, is it possible I just missed a puzzle somewhere?

I enjoyed the case a lot, though. I'm very into the story and characters. I'm really hoping this game does well.
I did and was very sad about it. You probably can miss something, but I'm not gonna replay the whole chapter and waste 4 hours tbh.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

I noticed that early on in the case, Fran said Ryan left something for me "over there." I figured it was something I had to investigate for, but then I found Roz's coat and presented it and when Roz showed up the investigation option disappeared. So I guess I'm probably gonna miss the S rank too. :/

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's two types of people:
1. Those who love Picross.
2. Those who haven't played Picross.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm very satisfied with the difficulty curve of the game, as someone who's been playing Picross for a long time, I was dreading having the first 2 cases be mostly 5x5/10x10 puzzles as I expected it to be hand-holdy but I was pleasantly surprised that's not that case even if they *are* fairly easy. Thanks devs!

I expect a ton of people will become Picross fans thanks to this game.

There's two types of people:
1. Those who love Picross.
2. Those who haven't played Picross.
This is true.

Feb 8, 2020
I noticed that early on in the case, Fran said Ryan left something for me "over there." I figured it was something I had to investigate for, but then I found Roz's coat and presented it and when Roz showed up the investigation option disappeared. So I guess I'm probably gonna miss the S rank too. :/

It was probably something similar for me then. I'm not thrilled about having to go through everything again, but I do really want to finish all the bonus puzzles.

I'm very satisfied with the difficulty curve of the game, as someone who's been playing Picross for a long time, I was dreading having the first 2 cases be mostly 5x5/10x10 puzzles as I expected it to be hand-holdy but I was pleasantly surprised that's not that case even if they *are* fairly easy. Thanks devs!

I expect a ton of people will become Picross fans thanks to this game.

I'm pleased about how quickly you transition into the larger puzzles as well. Like you said, they aren't the hardest puzzles ever, but I think that's good since Picross isn't all the game is.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
So... is there no way to quit out of a Scout's memory puzzle without going back to the title screen? Could be missing something.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Beat chapter 3, all 51 Scout's Memories puzzles that are available to me and the hardest part has been the timed portion in Ch.3. It took me 40+ minutes to complete.
-You have to do
four 5x5 puzzles in 53 seconds and they appear in random order each time you attempt it.
mbn_3.jpg

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who is new to picross, I have to ask:

Is there any good strategy/algorithm for recovering from mistakes?

Once I've noticed an inconsistency I kind of flounder around for a bit and can't resolve it, then I just end up wiping and starting over.

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who is new to picross, I have to ask:

Is there any good strategy/algorithm for recovering from mistakes?

Once I've noticed an inconsistency I kind of flounder around for a bit and can't resolve it, then I just end up wiping and starting over.

Not a picross master or anything: whenever I end up with rows that are clearly faulty, I just wipe them out. Often, one row is faulty due to another row or sequence of rows that are orthogonal to it; I have found that just removing a single row will often not result in fixing an error that is more deeply embedded in your puzzle. It helps to *always* go back to other rows or columns that you aren't positive about, and move them around a bit. It goes without saying, but your "core" rows (I don't have a better name for this; just the rows that you are 100% sure are correct) should be used as the guiding light you make all decisions from.

Sometimes you'll get focused on a row that you have solved, and be trying desperately to make another row adjacent it to be solved: if it's giving you trouble, the rows to wipe out are the ones you love the most: you're almost certainly "too close" to the problem.

At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to wipe out a lot of what you've done; anything that gets you closer to a finished solution is more important. I haven't *completely* wiped out a puzzle yet, but there are some where I've knocked out a quadrant or two that seemed too difficult to be correct.

Last but not least: never focus on just 1 row / column. Always be cognizant that you need to solve a row in terms of others, usually; go slower so you can sure you're laying down a solution for a row that solves one or more additional rows. When you start to see very few rows and columns that are left, you know you're close to a solution, but that doesn't mean that you won't have to knock a quadrant loose; it's not a big deal, though, because with 3/4 of the puzzle more-or-less 'solved', it becomes much easier and faster to test ideas / solutions.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this, didn't know I needed a story to get me to actually finish a Picross game.

I did encounter a bug where the music stopped playing when I loaded my save during a puzzle (I had saved during the puzzle, quit the game, and later loaded up the game again) . It was Case 2, woman's bathroom
I think the crowbar one?
. Any other puzzle when I saved and loaded my game later, the music played still. The music did return when I finished the puzzle but doing a puzzle sans music feels wrong.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Not a picross master or anything: whenever I end up with rows that are clearly faulty, I just wipe them out. Often, one row is faulty due to another row or sequence of rows that are orthogonal to it; I have found that just removing a single row will often not result in fixing an error that is more deeply embedded in your puzzle. It helps to *always* go back to other rows or columns that you aren't positive about, and move them around a bit. It goes without saying, but your "core" rows (I don't have a better name for this; just the rows that you are 100% sure are correct) should be used as the guiding light you make all decisions from.

Sometimes you'll get focused on a row that you have solved, and be trying desperately to make another row adjacent it to be solved: if it's giving you trouble, the rows to wipe out are the ones you love the most: you're almost certainly "too close" to the problem.

At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to wipe out a lot of what you've done; anything that gets you closer to a finished solution is more important. I haven't *completely* wiped out a puzzle yet, but there are some where I've knocked out a quadrant or two that seemed too difficult to be correct.

Last but not least: never focus on just 1 row / column. Always be cognizant that you need to solve a row in terms of others, usually; go slower so you can sure you're laying down a solution for a row that solves one or more additional rows. When you start to see very few rows and columns that are left, you know you're close to a solution, but that doesn't mean that you won't have to knock a quadrant loose; it's not a big deal, though, because with 3/4 of the puzzle more-or-less 'solved', it becomes much easier and faster to test ideas / solutions.
Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely try to keep this in mind.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I play most Picross games and like Ace Attorney so I picked this up and, wow, even the intro music is a knock-off of a tune from AA? Bit close for my tastes. Text beeps are almost identical. I'm all for paying respects to a franchise but when it's so on-the-nose it puts me off. Will play more and see how it goes.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I play most Picross games and like Ace Attorney so I picked this up and, wow, even the intro music is a knock-off of a tune from AA? Bit close for my tastes. Text beeps are almost identical. I'm all for paying respects to a franchise but when it's so on-the-nose it puts me off. Will play more and see how it goes.
It's the same composer, fwiw. Kinda weird to say he's ripping himself off :P

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The music is by the same composer as the first AA game.

Also, I'm not sure where this "knock-off" comparison is coming from. None of the music I've heard in the game so far even closely matches in composition to any AA music I can think of, and I certainly know my AA music.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody makes my eyes roll harder than the ripoff police.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is ruining my life. I'm enjoying it way too much at the cost of like everything else. Fuck being productive though, I have nonograms to solve.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Case 1 done. It seems way more lengthy than I imagined. Is each case the same duration? Having a blast so far. Congrats @ the team; edfear :)

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Great game! The only thing I don't like is most of the pixel art in the puzzles. Before they get colored in, they're all pretty much indiscernible. The official Picross games generally have much better pixel art.

But it's understandable considering they prioritised difficulty progression AND had to match the theme of the cases.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The music is by the same composer as the first AA game.

Also, I'm not sure where this "knock-off" comparison is coming from. None of the music I've heard in the game so far even closely matches in composition to any AA music I can think of, and I certainly know my AA music.
Haha, well that makes it not so bad. Every track sounds like it could've been ripped straight from a AA game.

I'm not looking for it right now but the main menu music's melody is very similar to a track from the Phoenix Wright trilogy. Surprised you didn't pick up on it.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Beat chapter 3, all 51 Scout's Memories puzzles that are available to me and the hardest part has been the timed portion in Ch.3. It took me 40+ minutes to complete.
-You have to do
four 5x5 puzzles in 53 seconds and they appear in random order each time you attempt it.

You'll have a lot of fun with the timed one in the last case, maybe. edfear said earlier they're already on a patch that will increase the time limit quite a bit, which definitely is a good thing.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
I SUCK at Picross so the Easy Mode option is a huge blessing. Having a lot of fun, I just finished case 2 and it's scratching the AA itch I've had since I finished the last 3DS game.

Feb 10, 2018
Just finished the 1st case. Who did you choose as guilty at the end? Chose John, but I think that's what the game wanted you to choose.

Do you know if the dialogues and situations adapt to the person you accuse?