• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I went to the launch event at Nintendo World Store for this game. Would love to see this on the Switch or PS4.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I actually can't disagree with the title, but it speaks more about how flawed each Vanillaware release is moreso than how pronounced the quality level of Muramasa is above the rest.

At least in my view. I've enjoyed the titles, but there is always a large asterisk.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The combat and story's great...
But best game my ass.

The recycled level segments are the worst examples of padding I've ever seen.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I suspect this is upon the publisher. I think both Odin Sphere and Dragon Crown are Atlus IP (someone correct me please), so that's why those Vanillaware titles looks like more cared than others.

Reading Wikipedia I would guess Muramasa is a Marvelous title, but honestly I haven't idea. It's a shame, I really want try it (PS Vita emulator for PS4 please?)
That's correct. You can tell looking at the title screens. Title screens almost always have copyright information on them.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What? Muramasa is nowhere near Leithrasir's league, let alone Dragon's Crown. The Wii version is arguably the worst of VanillaWare's "big" games; Vita version with DLC is at least decent, but still far inferior to the other two.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I found the game ultra reptitive (even for a Vanillaware) and super grindy. Boss fights took AGES and I never beat any of the dlc because every boss fight would take forever

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I see that the OP is a man of culture.

Honestly I like Muramasa more than Dragon's Crown and Odin Sphere. My issues with this games are.

Dragon's Crown: The stages were too messy for me taste, it really felt like lot of stuff was happening and it was easy to get lost, also, I wasn't a big fan of the gameplay loop of replaying the stages looking for better loot

Odin Sphere: I didn't like how at times it felt like the action gameplay was interrupted by the rpg aspects of the game, it make the game feel less fluid. Even picking items paused a little the game

In that regard, Muramasa is pure action with some RPG elements that never stop the action in the middle of the fight, also it was cool how you had to master most of the blades in fury mode in order to beat the bosses without getting hit

Wii Muramasa is the simplest, most repetitive shit ever. I know calling a VanillaWare game repetitive is like saying water is wet, but it still manages to outdo every single one of them in that regard with the most one note combat system imaginable, and to top it off, both characters are functionally identical. And yes, I played in Fury mode.

Vita's DLC characters at least are more varied, and I actually liked Okoi's gameplay quite a bit (yes, avatar quote me). But Wii version? Nah.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Game is so dull and repetitive.

I know I beat it... or did I? It's completely unmemorable once the art also starts to repeat on itself.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
One of the prettiest games ever made. Love absolutely everything about the art style.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Really want to play this again but I got rid of my Vita years ago. :( Can't even play it on the Vita TV thing I don't believe which I do still have somewhere.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Gorgeous game, but I found it to be one of their weakest efforts. The level design leaves a lot to be desired (as in most Vanillaware games) and after some hours I just found it to be pretty boring. I liked Odin Sphere a lot more, but even that was super repetitive. My favorite Vanillaware game has to be Dragon's Crown, that game could at least get away with boring level-design.

Oct 31, 2017
I played it on PSTV.

It looks amazing but it felt quite repetitive in the end. I have yet to finish it once though (and my save was corrupted so yeah).

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Gorgeous game with cool bosses. Music is cute. That's it. I just played through it a week ago, pretty forgettable once it's over. Don't think I'll bother with the dlc.

Maternal Heart

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 3, 2019
What do you think the likelihood of this game receiving a HD release like Odin Sphere and dragons crown?

And how's that visual novel robot game coming along?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
No argument here. I've been waiting 10 years for another Muramasa and was pretty gutted when they revealed that 13 Sentinels was a completely different kind of game. Dragon's Crown is alright, but it's no atmospheric Metroidvania.

At the very least, they need to port Rebirth to modern consoles. Package it with the little DLC episodes and call it "Muramasa: Definitive Edition" or something. You just know it would sell like crazy on Switch (and probably pretty healthily on PS4 as well).

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot but I think I did buy it for Vita. Have to break out the PSTV and play that sucker one of these days...

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game and the DLC, but let's be honest. The gameplay isn't particularly special (Odin Sphere Remaster has their best gameplay), and it's probably the most repetitive game they've ever made.

Definitely needs a console port though, because I think it's easily the most beautiful game they've ever made from a visual standpoint. No reason this shouldn't be on PS4 Pro/One X. I thought they'd do it too after Dragns Crown Pro.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
With Odin Sphere getting a remake on PS4 and Dragon's Crown getting a 4k remaster, I'm hopeful that within the next year or two we'll get a 4k complete edition of Muramasa with all 4 dlc campaigns. The game is too good not to.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much did this game sell? I believe this game was never released on the correct platform. It should've been at least on PS3 and PC.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
I really liked the game -- got the true ending in both the Wii and Vita versions. Never played the DLC, but I've heard it's great.

Definitely wouldn't mind having this on a console again, with the Vita's control scheme.