• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
p_muppetshauntedmansion-disneyplus_21840_ffa2e7eb.jpeg

The Muppets return with an all new Halloween Special! This time it will be based on the ride of the same name (which was also turned into a Disney Movie starring Eddie Murphy back in 2003).

Q&A:
- "Is this a movie?" Actually, it looks to be a 49 minute 'TV special'. But if you want to call it a movie, go ahead.

- "Where can I watch this?" It was made specifically for Disney+. So you'll have to have a subscription to view it.

- "When can I watch it?" It premieres on October 8th. It should be up on the service at 12 midnight PST as per all other Disney+ drops.

- "Why does Kermit sound weird?" He's now voiced by Matt Vogel.

- "What does Brandon Jones have to do with this?" Geoff Keighley, following getting the Muppets on the annual Game Awards the past few years, has done backdoor shady deals been given the honor of a cameo by the Muppets Team in this special. Brandon Jones was disappointed that Geoff Keighley beat him to it. It's all in good fun, he doesn't actually mean it. (Although he would like a Muppet Cameo.)

- "Is this going to be good?" I dunno. The special isn't out yet. But you're free to watch the trailer below to get an idea of how the special will be like.

TRAILER:

And that's it. Play the spooky music! It's time to get things started on this Muppets Halloween Night!​

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I've grown more and more sour toward a lot of the past decade of Disney's spin on Muppets so hopefully this one is better. Feels like they're just dragging them out for some easy corporate synergy with the whole Haunted Mansion thing, but I'm hoping for the best.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still surprised Johnny and Sal are in this. We haven't seen them since that Bohemian Rhapsody video over a decade ago.

E_-1rX3VkAk8a67

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was tonight and thought I missed the premiere

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Still surprised Johnny and Sal are in this. We haven't seen them since that Bohemian Rhapsody video over a decade ago.

E_-1rX3VkAk8a67

I'm honestly really shocked and delighted to see them again. I was so sad hearing that their old puppets apparently dilapidated in storage. Hope they start bringing back more missing characters again soon.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 10 month old is obsessed with Muppets music so we're looking forward to watching this, will be her first "movie" if she has any ability to focus on it for more than 2 minutes lol

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So exciteeeeeeee. My two loves, Muppets and Haunted Mansion

If they release merchandise RIP my wallet

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, how have I not heard about this yet? The potential is there and amazing! A Muppets Halloween could become an awesome tradition!

Hopefully it's good!

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I have a lot of nostalgia for the Muppets. Hope this is good.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm on my third viewing today. It is incredible. Some of the jokes are so niche you'd have to be a huge fan of the ride to understand all the little allusions.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
My mom and I watched it tonight. Loved it. At 52 minutes, it basically counts as a Muppet movie. Was less of an adaption as it was practically the whole ride itself including using the actual ride as some set pieces (I think. I'm sure the elevator had to be filmed on the ride). They covered everything including a funny bit where
Statler and Woldorf's doom buggy breaks down and the announcer comes on saying it will continue momentarily.
Loved Miss Piggy as Madam Leota. Some good laughs and some nice, musical numbers.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This was delightful. The absolute best part was when
The Doom Buggy broke down and the announcer came on. Absolutely brilliant.

I was surprised to see Geoff Keighley was in this. Like…why?

Like who invited Pat Sajak?

Jun 17, 2019
They had the knight! Holy Hannah, they had the knight!

The part that got me was.
When Gonzo had to face his fears and one of them was losing his friends. What really makes it hit is that the Muppet Performer for Gonzo is David Goelz, who has been doing Gonzo the longest and has lost a number of friends that were performers with him. So When you see old Gonzo, which broke my heart seeing him like that, mixed with that line and who is doing it, I wanted to legit cry

Loved the screaming Goat though! That muppet is unsettling. Also I was so happy to see Uncle Deadly! And they brought back the dancing couples joke from the old muppets specials. So many jokes to both the Haunted Mansion and the Muppet's own history in there. I also loved they had the clock! The only thing was, did they have the piano playing on it's own?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As someone who was never on the ride and hasn't seen the Eddie Murphy movie, this was just okay.

It might not be fair to measure this against Christmas Carol but it exists so might as well.

The cameos were pretty much just that. The sounds were middling at best and while some of the jokes were good, most didn't land for me.

Best part about this was by far Gonzo's little mirror thing at the end. Felt almost like it belonged in another movie and showed what this could have been with a real story behind it.

In the end I'm a bit disappointed but for a streaming special it could have been a lot worse.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Loved that one of the current imagineers whose parent was integral to the The Haunted Mansion ride got a cameo.

Shame about Rizzo being retired character after Whitmire's dismissal, personally he was the perfect foil for Gonzo, and would of been perfect in this. On that note Kermit new VA was 'off'. But overall much better that the Wizard of Oz special The Muppets did.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I really enjoyed it. I'm more about fan of the Muppets than I am the ride, but I do love the ride too. So I didn't get all the nods to the ride but I did get most including the Imagineer cameo.

It was great to see Brian Henson involved as Sal. I loved that they basically turned the dance scene from the ride into an 'At the Dance' sketch as I always loved those segments in the Muppet Show. Also, Wayne and Wanda! Two of my favorites that are rarely used these days.

I was a bit worried all the CG backgrounds would take a lot out of this, but they didn't at all. This had heart and rather than one big thing of product placement it felt like something from a place of love. I'll happily watch this again in future spooky seasons.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The deep cut gags for both properties were astounding. I did NOT expect to see so many rare Muppets or to see pretty much everyone from the Mansion ballroom get represented. The attention to detail in Muppet-izing the Mansion was insane too. The only legit gripe I had was that they barely sang "Grim Grinning Ghosts." It's crazy that the Muppet team had this in them for years and Disney only now let them cut loose.

I do miss Rizzo though, but I enjoyed Pepe more than usual.

The Hatchaway victims stole the show for me, in part due to how surprisingly dark their jokes got.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Muppets Haunted Mansion is third on US Trending. Way higher than Muppets Now. (There was no way it was beating a Marvel Movie and a Marvel Season Finale)

This looks to be a hit for D+. Will probably influence what kind of Muppets projects get made now.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
It was a good show. My wife initially didn't want to watch it but as she loves Disneyland so I convinced her. she enjoyed it a ton and if you have been on the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland then you will definitely enjoy this.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night... It was really nice. The only that surprised me was the one jump scare, did not expect that.

Also...

R.I.P. Ed Asner :(

Wait really? I missed that. Was he one of the Statue Heads?
Yes if you watch the end credits they show each performer along with their name underneath. Didn't even recognize Alfonzo Riberiara either.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
It was good but not great. The budget just wasn't there and they were trying to do more than they could afford. It was cheap looking in the bad ways not the fun ways the muppets can be.

Best build up to a joke was Piggy giving the rhyming directions to leave with a double visual gag.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
6/10

The musical numbers were probably the strongest parts, but as much as I'm a fan of Pepe as a character, he doesn't bounce off of Gonzo as well as Rizzo did.

Jun 17, 2019
It was good but not great. The budget just wasn't there and they were trying to do more than they could afford. It was cheap looking in the bad ways not the fun ways the muppets can be.

Best build up to a joke was Piggy giving the rhyming directions to leave with a double visual gag.

They made a joke about the budget too with Bunson and Beaker.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Muppets Haunted Mansion is third on US Trending. Way higher than Muppets Now. (There was no way it was beating a Marvel Movie and a Marvel Season Finale)

This looks to be a hit for D+. Will probably influence what kind of Muppets projects get made now.

I'm fine with them doing more IP integration but the most obvious contenders for Parks IP are POTC and Jungle Cruise, which would seem kinda meh if done again so soon after the movies. They sky is sorta the limit though.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with them doing more IP integration but the most obvious contenders for Parks IP are POTC and Jungle Cruise, which would seem kinda meh if done again so soon after the movies. They sky is sorta the limit though.

Oh I didn't mean IP integration. I just don't think sketch comedy like Muppets Now is going to be the future for Muppets Content

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I actually really enjoyed this. Obviously it's no Christmas Carol but it's simple fun and really reminiscent of the kind of humour I want from The Muppets.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this last night, thought it was great, although I wondered how people who've never been to the Haunted Mansion would enjoy it. The movie was pretty much a beat by beat remake of the ride.

Whoever decided that Will Arnett should play a magician deserves a raise.