• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jabronium

Oct 26, 2017
Can't bring myself to watch the vid. Tried taking my own life when I was 13 to escape the constant bullying. I wish the best for him and am glad to see such an outpouring of support and empathy.

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Were there any photos or vids in the tweet? I mean, that would be so unfortunate, but you should at least make sure the tweet is legit before posting about it.

Anyway, hope it isn't true as it will obviously put a stain on the efforts.
Yeh was a few videos and pictures plus his insta name, Bullyings something close to home with me so obviously the video was awful to watch, i have a 4 year old entering school in September so it terrifies me shes going into a world where bullying is still apparent.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ratio of teachers to students in a classroom is about 1:28 in one room

In a lunch break situation it's probably closer to 1:120 spread over a much larger area. Unless you want to ban teachers having breaks at all, it can't be put down to "where are the teachers".

My lunch duty zone is two whole floors about 50 metres long, several balconies and a lot of classrooms and nooks. You can't be everywhere at once.

Then someone should be hired as an assistant to keep this shit from happening. It's obvious kids need supervision at all times in schoold to avoid this crap.

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
User banned (1 week): Spreading conspiracy theories
Mod edit: Conspiracy theory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The unfortunate truth is that the situation is a hell of a lot more complicated in most instances, at least in my experience. Hurt people hurt people. I have had to respond to way too many situations of bully students who themselves are dealing with trauma, sufferer from depression, and/or have suicide ideation. Sometimes they themselves are victims of bullying as well. That does not excuse or negate the harm caused, but pushing more people through the school to prison pipeline is not the answer either.

A helpful response requires a restorative justice approach wherein the people in power, parents and school personnel alike, are willing to acknowledge their role and work to address the systemic issues. All the while modeling what accountability looks like to the youth, so that they too can take ownership over their actions and everyone can collaboratively work to make things as right as possible.

Even more important is the need for schools need to focus on prevention. Curriculum focused on teaching empathy and other social emotional skills is key. Anything done after the fact is a bandaid, if you are responding to bullying then the school system and the community has already failed the children involved and if your response does nothing to address underlying causes then it will continue to happen.

This is the best post I see so far. Bullies are kids too and what should happen is to find out why they turn that way or even if you do after the fact, get them therapy. Many times they are acting out cause of something in their own life. I'm not going to say all the time, sometimes people are just born psychopaths so to speak, but many times.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know why schools still accept this kind of shit.

Mine was AWFUL, they only would make something if a parent made a scene.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
This thread reminds me how some people fundamentally don't grasp how spread thin resources (human and otherwise) are at public schools. Spend a week as a teacher or a year level coordinator and you'll understand very quickly how these things get missed. Set up to fail.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I can say to parents in this scenario is the best thing you can possibly do is just take your kid to a different school system.

It's the only thing that ever worked for me.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mod edit: Conspiracy theory.

Please stop. It doesn't matter what is on Instagram or what's being said - that video is awful and bullying is a serious issue that's worth discussing. I really hope we (as a collective forum) are better than taking twitter shit and posting it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Picking on a kid with a disability... jesus that's low. Even the bullies I knew wouldnt go there.

The american president did bully someone with a disability. And his fans cheered.

I also get really pissed at the schools when this shit is going on in their buildings. Your number one job is make kids feel safe in school. You can't learn or develop if you are getting bullied everyday.

Honestly schools can'T do everything. It has to start at home, with parents. Lots of spoiled brats do not respect their parents, so how would they respect school guidelines and other kids? Sometimes schools intervene and parents will defend their bullying kid.

I have been bullied and also have been a bully, and it was my parents who helped me both times. First time with their support, second time with their discipline.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember watching a documentary when I was about 15 of some 9ish year old with tourettes and it was so bad that he said he wanted to die so him and his mum didn't have to deal with it.

Really shook me at the time since I couldn't imagine being like that at such a young age.

Right? That's the most shocking part of this for me.

Obviously a 9 year old's misery is hard to watch, but kids were assholes to me (and a couple other kids) on the daily growing up, and we never once thought of killing ourselves, let alone specific ways of self harm.

What's making younglings these days so world weary? I feel like I was simpleton by comparison at that age.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Right? That's the most shocking part of this for me.

Obviously a 9 year old's misery is hard to watch, but kids were assholes to me (and a couple other kids) on the daily growing up, and we never once thought of killing ourselves, let alone specific ways of self harm.

What's making younglings these days so world weary? I feel like I was simpleton by comparison at that age.
Yeah, I had many moment of being down and feeling alone when I was a kid but don't think I ever had suicidal thoughts until I was in my teens.

As for young kids these days, maybe nothing has really changed and this has always been around but we are now seeing it thanks to the increase in documented media? Could also be that they are exposed to more media that deal with suicide and thus know that it is something that they could do if things got too bad.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Needless hostility
Ratio of teachers to students in a classroom is about 1:28 in one room

In a lunch break situation it's probably closer to 1:120 spread over a much larger area. Unless you want to ban teachers having breaks at all, it can't be put down to "where are the teachers".

My lunch duty zone is two whole floors about 50 metres long, several balconies and a lot of classrooms and nooks. You can't be everywhere at once.

Oh fuck off with this nonsense. You have zero problem solving skills if you reduce everything to class size. You can hire assistants. Wow that was so hard.

The real problem with this is that children tend to find that they're not taken seriously when they do have bullying concerns. That needs to be addressed more.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Just read the full thread and I really shouldn't have. Way too many posts about how the kid should toughen up and fight back or needs to be some alpha male or some shit.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh fuck off with this nonsense. You have zero problem solving skills if you reduce everything to class size. You can hire assistants. Wow that was so hard.

The real problem with this is that children tend to find that they're not taken seriously when they do have bullying concerns. That needs to be addressed more.
Where's the money for all these assistants coming from?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I had many moment of being down and feeling alone when I was a kid but don't think I ever had suicidal thoughts until I was in my teens.

As for young kids these days, maybe nothing has really changed and this has always been around but we are now seeing it thanks to the increase in documented media? Could also be that they are exposed to more media that deal with suicide and thus know that it is something that they could do if things got too bad.

Yeah, the second part. I think it's the dissemination of these behaviours on social media. No kid this young should have access to any of that nonsense, especially fucking Instagram, which is modern time's vanity and self-centeredness blown up and concentrated. A young mind can develop some dangerously warped misconceptions about personhood on there.

I can't imagine how much harder bullying hits you when your self image is such a fragile balancing act.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The unfortunate truth is that the situation is a hell of a lot more complicated in most instances, at least in my experience. Hurt people hurt people. I have had to respond to way too many situations of bully students who themselves are dealing with trauma, sufferer from depression, and/or have suicide ideation. Sometimes they themselves are victims of bullying as well. That does not excuse or negate the harm caused, but pushing more people through the school to prison pipeline is not the answer either.

A helpful response requires a restorative justice approach wherein the people in power, parents and school personnel alike, are willing to acknowledge their role and work to address the systemic issues. All the while modeling what accountability looks like to the youth, so that they too can take ownership over their actions and everyone can collaboratively work to make things as right as possible.

Even more important is the need for schools need to focus on prevention. Curriculum focused on teaching empathy and other social emotional skills is key. Anything done after the fact is a bandaid, if you are responding to bullying then the school system and the community has already failed the children involved and if your response does nothing to address underlying causes then it will continue to happen.
So well said. This is exactly what we should be looking to implement. Absolutism really doesn't have a place in education.
I am probably a shitty person but I really hate bullies and I wouldn't mind the media outing the kid(s) who did this to this poor boy.

I also get really pissed at the schools when this shit is going on in their buildings. Your number one job is make kids feel safe in school. You can't learn or develop if you are getting bullied everyday.
Teachers are already spread thin enough. They can't catch everything and every situation. Generally, this should be taught at home and reinforced at school, but even then shit gets through the cracks. I'm not sure how their place of residence gets a pass over the schools though. Also, there's no "probably" based on your statement. Whether you like bullies or not. They're fucking kids. They need to be set straight and taught, not named and shamed so they can be bullied and harassed along with their families.

You really shouldn't be telling anyone to F off as if you've cracked the case. You've got a pie in the sky solution to a very real problem and you're being needlessly snarky about it to boot.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, the second part. I think it's the dissemination of these behaviours on social media. No kid this young should have access to any of that nonsense, especially fucking Instagram, which is modern time's vanity and self-centeredness blown up and concentrated. A young mind can develop some dangerously warped misconceptions about personhood on there.

I can't imagine how much harder bullying hits you when your self image is such a fragile balancing act.
Yeah I can imagine Insta being a massive influence on kids/young people which is why im glad I never had to deal with that growing up. Even as an adult I only use Insta for work and wouldn't touch it at all if I didnt have to (same for Facebook).

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
As a victim of bullying I know how traumatic it can be. I'm really glad people have shown support. He's going to need it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the people on Twitter who post this actor stuff have probably never seen a little kid cry. As if a 9 year old would be able to "act" like this....

I've seen the video his mother made ... that's not an actor faking, that's a child crying out of despair.

Oct 26, 2017
You really shouldn't be telling anyone to F off as if you've cracked the case. You've got a pie in the sky solution to a very real problem and you're being needlessly snarky about it to boot.

Because I'm so sick and tired of people trying to reduce the bullying issue to class sizes and putting up the whole "oh well, what can we do?!" attitude. It's mentalities like that, that allows nothing to be done.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017

No, I don't think it has to do with social media (although it might maybe enforce it?), and I thing kids always had suicidal thoughts.

If you got bullied and have the feeling that the whole word is out against you, then it easy to to develop these thoughts, no matter what age. You know, you don't get bullied only in school, but also permanently outside in your free time (and nowadys also online). I for instance moved to a new village as a kid and was the target since day 1, and couldn't find any friends the whole time. You get the feeling that everyone is against you and develop thoughts that they might be in the right to bully you and you deserve to be punished. In addition, a vicious circle begins and other problems start to appear. Doing homework and tests become thrice time more difficult to do as you literally fear to go to school (even on vacation your permanently fear to go back to school again). It's difficult to focus and everythig starts to feel like a grind.While others can do stuff easily, for vicims everything seems so difficult, and their self-esteem takes a huge hit and they might think they're not worth/good enough for everything.
If your life is hell, then the last thing you want is to go through this torture day by day, years by years, for 80 years until death by old age. Victims might start not to believe that things can get better in some years.

Having supporting friends or caring parents can make a huge different how you can deal/digest everything and if you develop suicidal thoughts. If you're all alone, then it is very difficult.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bullying absolutely sucks and people can be mean. With that said I've actually been encouraged by what I see at my daughter's school when I pick her up. I don't see anyone bullied or treated badly by classmates. There's a child there with Down Syndrome and everyone is nice to him, goes out of their way to give him high fives and fist bumps and treats him well. Sadly, back when I was in elementary school I don't think that would have been the case. Granted it's comparing different schools in different states but it's hard for me not to think that things might be a bit better than they used to be based on that example.

Because I'm so sick and tired of people trying to reduce the bullying issue to class sizes and putting up the whole "oh well, what can we do?!" attitude. It's mentalities like that, that allows nothing to be done.

Pointing out contributing factors and logistical challenges/realities =/= as justifying it or giving up. Your response was completely unfair to the other poster.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My first point (that you didnt include) was that its entirely possible this has always been here and young kids have always had the ability to feel suicidal.

My point about social was more about having access to a lot more adult scenarios and material which could possibly influence their thought process.
Your point about online bullying being a new, additional way is very true though and probably does make things much worse for kids who are targeted these days.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this too early in the morning for my blood to start boiling. I hope he gets better and those bullies and their parent get help or fuck right off if they don't care

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Bullying in my childhood years cost me my mental health, and the years of it going unanswered almost sent me down a very bad path in life to take matters into my own hands. I don't think some people quite understand just how horrible the effects of bullying can be. I still get triggered enough by it that my wife has agreed to handle any of those situations in the future if my son is a victim.

Just the screenshot alone is enough to make me sad and angry. Hope the bullies get what's coming to them and the kid finds the strength to not let this keep him down.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the people on Twitter who post this actor stuff have probably never seen a little kid cry. As if a 9 year old would be able to "act" like this....

I've seen the video his mother made ... that's not an actor faking, that's a child crying out of despair.

They're saying he's not really 9 years old, that he's a grown little person acting.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's only 9, and I imagine his bullies aren't even pre-teens yet either...
a603def17e639d75f097fe0ca30640c9.png

Glad to see him get support.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
What the fuck is wrong with you? Read the room!

When I talked about committing suicide all I got was a lecture about how if I was gonna do it then I should do it down my wrist, not across, and I should do it in the shower with the water running so they wouldn't have to clean the floor afterwords.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The american president did bully someone with a disability. And his fans cheered.

Honestly schools can'T do everything. It has to start at home, with parents. Lots of spoiled brats do not respect their parents, so how would they respect school guidelines and other kids? Sometimes schools intervene and parents will defend their bullying kid.

I have been bullied and also have been a bully, and it was my parents who helped me both times. First time with their support, second time with their discipline.
Yeah I really don't see the issue rationally so my suggestions can't be taken seriously.

The idea of little children being bullied in a school always really pisses me off.

As others have said its not easy to stop it but I always want more to be done as it can be really damaging to a little child. To be fair I have seen a lot of schools do a lot to prevent and minimize bullying and it seems a lot of it is occurring online now, which the school can't really control. Once it gets outside the school the parents really have to be responsible.

I had this in my own family where my cousin was bullying another kid on Facebook. His parents basically took away his phone, tablet and he was not allowed to have any social media accounts until he was 18. But we were all really angry at him for picking on another kid at his high school. He really made him miserable and I am glad his parents at least did something to stop it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yep, I'm a teacher and obviously I try to catch and put a stop to bullying when/if I see or hear it, but kids are sneaky and with class sizes like this (and this is literally the size of my class right now), it's impossible to catch everything. I tell parents that if their kid is being bullied, let me know ASAP (and let their child know that they don't have to make a scene, they can just quickly give me a paper or something that lets me know what's going on without the bully having to know). I might already know, but I might not (notes are harder to catch than words). I'll do everything I can to put a stop to it, but realistically there's also only so much I can do, at a certain point it's literally out of my hands. I can send the bully to the office every day if I have to, but I'm not the one implementing major punishments, that's up to the admin.
Doesn't this come down to the bully's parents at the end of the day?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
When I talked about committing suicide all I got was a lecture about how if I was gonna do it then I should do it down my wrist, not across, and I should do it in the shower with the water running so they wouldn't have to clean the floor afterwords.
On Resetera? Or did you quote the wrong post?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's one problem in a system full of them. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging those sentiments or questions. You have a narrow view of the situation and should maybe entertain those posts as well. Many teachers I've spoken with feel the same way, not to mention schools don't always back them in cases where they take action.

Hire more assistants, problem solved isn't necessarily a groundbreaking solution. We're all sick and tired of bullying, but that doesn't mean we need to be reductive and rude while offering solutions that aren't really solutions. For all your fussing about bullying, you told someone to fuck off (over an opinion many teachers themselves consider part of the larger problem) at the drop of a hat. Not to mention your unnecessary critique of their problem solving skills. As adults, we're also setting the example in our general discourse. That aside, throwing more people at the problem isn't always the answer and generally and it also comes down to what children see and hear in the home. It helps drastically when it's a group effort.

Last edited:

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Everybody on Facebook is sharing the "he's an actor" post. Is this being fabricated by bully deniers or something?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing worse to a kid when teachers/principals stand by and let it happen. Or worse, join in or punish the one being bullied.

Bullying in school will permanently affect someone for the rest of their life. (In different ways)

All adults involved (parents of bullies, teachers, ...) should be held accountable.

Everybody on Facebook is sharing the "he's an actor" post. Is this being fabricated by bully deniers or something?

Who's everybody - your friends? Stop using Facebook in that case!

Last edited:

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Bullying absolutely sucks and people can be mean. With that said I've actually been encouraged by what I see at my daughter's school when I pick her up. I don't see anyone bullied or treated badly by classmates. There's a child there with Down Syndrome and everyone is nice to him, goes out of their way to give him high fives and fist bumps and treats him well. Sadly, back when I was in elementary school I don't think that would have been the case. Granted it's comparing different schools in different states but it's hard for me not to think that things might be a bit better than they used to be based on that example.
This is what I wanted to bring up. There are many other viral videos of schools where disabled kids are treated great: prom kings and queens, mascots, being on sports teams, etc. It might be patronizing on some level (it sure beats the alternative), but that must be reflected from the school administration.

Oct 27, 2017

A hugely important post. You don't change people, especially kids, with harsh punitive measures. You just embitter them and make them more resentful and hardened in their positions. Empathy begins with putting yourself in someone else's shoes, understanding their pain, seeking forgiveness in good faith when necessary, and working on your ways to better yourself a little at a time. Forgiveness is also hugely important and unburdening for the person trespassed against. All of this only happens in an environment where the community as a whole (especially those in positions of power and influence) is actively involved in facilitating the restoration of trust between individuals and the accountability of individuals themselves.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I wanted to bring up. There are many other viral videos of schools where disabled kids are treated great: prom kings and queens, mascots, being on sports teams, etc. It might be patronizing on some level (it sure beats the alternative), but that must be reflected from the school administration.
I imagine it's a mix of parenting, teachers/staff remaining vigilant, schools emphasizing the importance of kindness/empathy and having no tolerance for bullies, and to some extent the kids themselves that either lead to bullying or not. My worry is that it likely only takes one or two "bad kids" or probably more apt kids with poor parenting to open the floodgates for bullying in a grade or even an entire school.