• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017

"Queensland mum Yarraka Bayles has been flooded with support after live-streaming a heartbreaking video of her nine-year-old son's despair after being bullied over his short stature.
Bayles, an advocate for Indigenous issues and disability awareness, told NITV that she went to pick her son up from Brisbane's Carina State School on Wednesday and witnessed another student picking on Quaden because of his height.
Quaden was born with achondroplasia, a common form of dwarfism.
After returning to the car, a fed-up Bayles started to film her son's anguish in hopes of urging parents to take action against the nonstop bullying her son endures."

More here
-------------------------

I seen the video yesterday on twitter and it ripped me apart. Since it's gone viral there has been a gofundme (which has hit 200k at time of writing) to get Quaden to Disneyland and now all his favourite celebrities are sending him messages and videos.

I'm glad everyone has come together for Quaden amoungst all the ridiculous stuff that's in the media and dividing the world.
Be kind to everyone around you.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I"m glad this got the support it needed. Saw a lot of outreach from all over the world which was nice. Even numerous actors came in to cheer him on.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thoughts to the little champ and I'm so glad he's getting positivity and good experiences from this to show him that the world is bigger than the assholes make it seem.

Bullies can end up in a ditch.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
It was so hard to watch that video. I just wanted his mum to give him a big hug and comfort him, but I understand that she has already done that so many times and she was at her wits end. I'm so glad people have got behind the kid. Fuck bullies

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
That's good for him but I hope the support he gets goes beyond a trip to Disneyland and leads to a deep discussion about school bullying.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a zero tolerance policy against bullying in schools. I know it's hard to prove sometimes, but if it can be corroborated by other students or a teacher then the bully should be suspended, then expelled if it happens again.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Inappropriate joke
Queensland mum Yarraka Bayles has been flooded with support after live-streaming a heartbreaking video of her nine-year-old son's despair after being bullied over his short stature.

What are the ERA accounts of the bullies' parents?

Mod Edit: Post reverted

Last edited by a moderator:

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
The son of one of my moms coworkers attempted suicide this past week,at the age of 10. It was probably about bullying as well and right now he is under psychological treatment. The world is full of assholes and it doesn't get better

OP
OP
HotAndTender

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
The son of one of my moms coworkers attempted suicide this past week,at the age of 10. It was probably about bullying as well and right now he is under psychological treatment. The world is full of assholes and it doesn't get better
That poor soul, i hope he gets the help and support he needs. Seeing a child cry tears me up but the thought of a child as young as 9 or 10 having these thoughts cripples me.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, this is 3 minutes from my house and would be the local primary school my son would go to if we go through the state system. :(

When Quaden says in the video "I want to die" my heart literally aches. A kid that young feeling that is the best option is unbearable to comprehend.

This school does not have a good reputation, despite being quite well resourced and in a reasonably well off socioeconomic area. I'm trying to get my son enrolled in one of the better schools just outside our catchment like Belmont but it won't be easy. I'll probably end up going private If I have to.

Has not been a good week for our local area after that piece of shit burned his entire family alive in their car earlier this week.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's so incredibly frustrating that people who have to deal with certain challenges - be them phsycial or mental disabilities / but even economic hardships - are often the ones who end up being bullied the most.
Like, where's the point in kicking people who are already dealing with not enjoying the privilege of a ''''normal'''' life.

I really really don't get that.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
There needs to be a zero tolerance policy against bullying in schools. I know it's hard to prove sometimes, but if it can be corroborated by other students or a teacher then the bully should be suspended, then expelled if it happens again.

The unfortunate truth is that the situation is a hell of a lot more complicated in most instances, at least in my experience. Hurt people hurt people. I have had to respond to way too many situations of bully students who themselves are dealing with trauma, sufferer from depression, and/or have suicide ideation. Sometimes they themselves are victims of bullying as well. That does not excuse or negate the harm caused, but pushing more people through the school to prison pipeline is not the answer either.

A helpful response requires a restorative justice approach wherein the people in power, parents and school personnel alike, are willing to acknowledge their role and work to address the systemic issues. All the while modeling what accountability looks like to the youth, so that they too can take ownership over their actions and everyone can collaboratively work to make things as right as possible.

Even more important is the need for schools need to focus on prevention. Curriculum focused on teaching empathy and other social emotional skills is key. Anything done after the fact is a bandaid, if you are responding to bullying then the school system and the community has already failed the children involved and if your response does nothing to address underlying causes then it will continue to happen.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I instantly started to cry watching that. Just heartbreaking. It is nice to see the support, but I need to take a break after that.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Absolutely heartbreaking. To see a 9 year old in that much pain, talking about wanting to take his own life... it breaks me. It's awesome to see the support he's starting to get around the world though. This kid needs so much love.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
I hate bullies so much, they were plenty of them at my school, thankfully for me I was really tall for my age at school and more than able to defend my self but many others were not, much like this poor little guy, it breaks my heart every time something like happens.

Great to see him getting so much support from around the world, I hope the bullies are dealt with.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
bullies fucking suck in every era of time and existence.

if someone somewhere in the world might describe you as "a bully", you're a trash human being and need to seek therapy.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The unfortunate truth is that the situation is a hell of a lot more complicated in most instances, at least in my experience. Hurt people hurt people. I have had to respond to way too many situations of bully students who themselves are dealing with trauma, sufferer from depression, and/or have suicide ideation. Sometimes they themselves are victims of bullying as well. That does not excuse or negate the harm caused, but pushing more people through the school to prison pipeline is not the answer either.

A helpful response requires a restorative justice approach wherein the people in power, parents and school personnel alike, are willing to acknowledge their role and work to address the systemic issues. All the while modeling what accountability looks like to the youth, so that they too can take ownership over their actions and everyone can collaboratively work to make things as right as possible.

Even more important is the need for schools need to focus on prevention. Curriculum focused on teaching empathy and other social emotional skills is key. Anything done after the fact is a bandaid, if you are responding to bullying then the school system and the community has already failed the children involved and if your response does nothing to address underlying causes then it will continue to happen.
Totally. I did some reading after posting that comment and now know that zero tolerance doesn't really work.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bullying was a pretty big focus about 10 years ago. Sad to see that it gets completely ignored or swept under the rug nowadays.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can watch it, because bullies left me suicidal at a younger age than him and I just, even just reading the words of what he's saying is bringing back a lot of shit.

I wish there was a silver bullet for bullying, but, there isn't, and there won't ever be. I just...wish that schools never even tried the zero tolerance posturing they do, I just feel like it does more harm than good. As a victim, it felt the bullies never received repercussions (for a variety of circumstances I know understand as an adult to be widely out of control of the system), and you'd just sit there, wondering if that meant this was normal, that you deserved it, that you were overreacting. And then when things hit breaking point, if you ever struck back, ever yelled back, you would be struck with the same punishments but you'd actually have to deal with the repercussions, and you'd just feel so cripplingly alone and like nothing you could do was 'right'.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

Excellent post.

Regards, Me.
High school teacher.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Bullying was a pretty big focus about 10 years ago. Sad to see that it gets completely ignored or swept under the rug nowadays.

I don't think this is correct. I think there is more emphasis on it now in the school system than there was 10 years ago.

Unfortunately it's just really fucking hard to stop. As a previous poster said, it's often a cycle of hurt people hurting other people. The well-adjusted kids who are more receptive to the anti-bullying messaging are usually less likely to be bullies anyway.

And as a teacher, it's really hard to stop in a practical sense. I keep a keen ear and eye open for it, but it is very rarely something you witness first hand. Kids are getting increasingly adept at doing it stealthily, and social media is the perfect tool for them to do it.

It's very, very complex. Suspending/expelling the perpetrators is cathartic but the damage is already done and as a solution it is really just shifting deck chairs on the titanic. Another school has to take them, and they will do it again.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Picking on a kid with a disability... jesus that's low. Even the bullies I knew wouldnt go there.

Glad the kid is getting some love, people can be great when they come together to help

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is endless and no amount of feel-good Gofundme/Celebrity messages/TrendingTopics will change the fact that a lot of people are okay with bullying and holding hate in their heart for others that look/act/talk/dress different. I dont think shit will change until it becomes culturally unacceptable to do this stuff at any age and towards any target

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what's worst? The two times I've heard of a child defending another child being bullied, from two friends of mine who are parents, their child were reprimended for violence/conflict/whatnot.

For both they went to school saying how shitty this rule of their was and that it was their fault for their inaction towards bullying, refused to sign the school papers and rewarded their children for acting like that. I personally let them know they were awesome too because fuck bullies.

I was bullied for a big part of my high school years and I will always remember that random guy who faced my bully, because there often was attempts at public shaming as he was in the same group as me for gym classes, to threaten him to leave me alone, shut the fuck up or he would smash his teeth on the gym's floor. He truly left me alone after that and it was a mental release, I got peace for the rest of my HS life.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Where are the teachers or supervisors? Schools should really have someone at all times monitoring children and heavily punish bullying. It seems quite obvious in countries with so many resources like AUS. This shit could be avoided.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I have to admit I didn't watch it all. It was just too painful. I really hope seeing all this support gives him hope and happiness.

And I hope the bullies see it and realise what they've been doing, and then change their ways.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, reading about it and seeing pictures is enough for me. Don't need to watch the video and cry my eyes out at work.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Where are the teachers or supervisors?

Ratio of teachers to students in a classroom is about 1:28 in one room

In a lunch break situation it's probably closer to 1:120 spread over a much larger area. Unless you want to ban teachers having breaks at all, it can't be put down to "where are the teachers".

My lunch duty zone is two whole floors about 50 metres long, several balconies and a lot of classrooms and nooks. You can't be everywhere at once.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hearing children saying they want to die is just so fucked, jeez. Hope he gets through this.
I remember watching a documentary when I was about 15 of some 9ish year old with tourettes and it was so bad that he said he wanted to die so him and his mum didn't have to deal with it.

Really shook me at the time since I couldn't imagine being like that at such a young age.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't watch this yesterday, but made sure to watch today and my heart got so broken. Couldn't hold my tears from both anger and compassion for the kid.

So glad people are helping and I will too, whichever way I can.

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Someone on Twitter saying the videos fake?!? Kids a child actor and his insta is him with guns on photos and videos of flashing money around. More to this then meets the eye.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone on Twitter saying the videos fake?!? Kids a child actor and his insta is him with guns on photos and videos of flashing money around. More to this then meets the eye.

Were there any photos or vids in the tweet? I mean, that would be so unfortunate, but you should at least make sure the tweet is legit before posting about it.

Anyway, hope it isn't true as it will obviously put a stain on the efforts.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Ratio of teachers to students in a classroom is about 1:28 in one room

Yep, I'm a teacher and obviously I try to catch and put a stop to bullying when/if I see or hear it, but kids are sneaky and with class sizes like this (and this is literally the size of my class right now), it's impossible to catch everything. I tell parents that if their kid is being bullied, let me know ASAP (and let their child know that they don't have to make a scene, they can just quickly give me a paper or something that lets me know what's going on without the bully having to know). I might already know, but I might not (notes are harder to catch than words). I'll do everything I can to put a stop to it, but realistically there's also only so much I can do, at a certain point it's literally out of my hands. I can send the bully to the office every day if I have to, but I'm not the one implementing major punishments, that's up to the admin.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I tried watching this yesterday but couldn't get past 30 seconds. It seemed fucked that this kid is having a breakdown and the moms just talking to the camera/audience. Really perturbed me.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Were there any photos or vids in the tweet? I mean, that would be so unfortunate, but you should at least make sure the tweet is legit before posting about it.

Anyway, hope it isn't true as it will obviously put a stain on the efforts.

Guys I think this is sarcasm about the alt-right's common denial of tragedies. Just the gun thing, it's not easy to get guns in Australia

Edit: Apparently not, jesus christ...

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am probably a shitty person but I really hate bullies and I wouldn't mind the media outing the kid(s) who did this to this poor boy.

I also get really pissed at the schools when this shit is going on in their buildings. Your number one job is make kids feel safe in school. You can't learn or develop if you are getting bullied everyday.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
That's horrible and so sad.

I myself got heavily bullied throughout the whole school time and was already thinking the first time about suicide with an age of 9.
I got no support. Neither from family nor teachers, nor went I under psychological treatment.

The bullying f* uped my life big time and I still suffer from it heavily after 20 years. The thing is also that some bullies are not even aware that they bully (means that even some outspeaking supporters from Quaden might be bullies themselves, even bullied people can be bullies), or that they grow up to fine adults and think that they actions are a thing of the past and are not a big deal.
What's left is only the hurting of the victims and it will accompany them the whole life.

Because of that, this is my message to Quaden and to everyone that experiences or has experienced the same: I hope you get all the support you need and have loving people around you in this hard time. If not, go seek for help. There are many people everywhere that will love helping you and listening to you. Might it be a psychologists, strangers from the internet, or people in your neighbourhood. Do NOT make my mistake to not seeking help! And be open with you feelings and say it out loud. You are not the strange one for being bullied, the others are. You're not alone and you're totally worth to be loved and it is a tragedy what is happening to you.