• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
If the founders pack is reasonable, I have no problem throwing in some cash. I really hope the monetization isnt predatory bs.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Those placeholder assets were for a Ninja OC. If we do get anything Naruto-related, they'll likely be a skin for said OC.
C'mon, man. You know damn well any IP holder worth their salt won't settle for a dern skin. This ain't Fortnite where all you do is shoot gun.

I'm all for Goku appearing. Broly too 😂
And I agree anime characters will be more than just skins.

View: https://twitter.com/tony_huynh/status/1548184756872830976?s=21&t=Si5d8GvBGkGYucXQxL0gzQ

Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon, the two pillars of Toonami. Make it happen!

So what you're saying is…

Ryu has a chance?
Ryu always has a shot in everything as far as I'm concerned.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wonder how crazy they can or will go with guest characters. Imagine Vader and Luke in this. :O

They'd be really cool but I'd imagine Disney would rather have their own equivalent than have guest characters here. I'd imagine guests would come from places that don't have the funds or want to bother with the hassle of making their own.

(I'd love a Smash x All-Stars x Versus crossover event at some point where they all share some characters to cross promote, though with no Multiversus on Switch and DLC ended for Smash it feels super unlikely)

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
They'd be really cool but I'd imagine Disney would rather have their own equivalent than have guest characters here. I'd imagine guests would come from places that don't have the funds or want to bother with the hassle of making their own.

I'm actually not sure about this - after they shut down disney interactive studios and licensed out their ip, I'm not convinced that they actually care all that much about making disney-specific "brand" video games. like, they had that with disney infinity, and they clearly wanted to get away from it - different game genre, obviously, but there's precedent there. if you're disney, and have ditched making your own video games, there's probably something very appealing about hitching your ip to popular games that you can get licensing money from but not pay dev costs for.

ultimately, I think it could be possible if multiversus does very well, in much the same way that everyone said "disney will never let them put sora in smash" then sakurai came out and said "yeah actually they loved the idea and were very happy to do it". there's already an existing partnership with wb games (who handles lego games for a lot of disney franchises), so there's some precedent there as well. this is just a guess, though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm actually not sure about this - after they shut down disney interactive studios and licensed out their ip, I'm not convinced that they actually care all that much about making disney-specific "brand" video games. like, they had that with disney infinity, and they clearly wanted to get away from it - different game genre, obviously, but there's precedent there. if you're disney, and have ditched making your own video games, there's probably something very appealing about hitching your ip to popular games that you can get licensing money from but not pay dev costs for.

ultimately, I think it could be possible if multiversus does very well, in much the same way that everyone said "disney will never let them put sora in smash" then sakurai came out and said "yeah actually they loved the idea and were very happy to do it". there's already an existing partnership with wb games (who handles lego games for a lot of disney franchises), so there's some precedent there as well. this is just a guess, though.
The LEGO thing is an extension of the toy license, so that's more of a fringe case. And unlike with Nintendo, WB is a more direct competitor to Disney.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom doesn't lend Ryu to Multiversus, they're straight up crazy.

This is THE chance to get SF vs MK, DC and so many other IPs all at once without having to worry about it being too violent/gory.

It would be amazing for all parties involved. I would be shocked if at least Ryu is not added given how many other crossovers he's in.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You are gonna get Luke and you are gonna like it.
I doubt Luke will be the face for the entire franchise going forward, but rather just for SF6 (like Alex, Abel, & Rashid before him). Hell, I'm not sure if he'll be the SF6 rep for the next Versus game. If anything, Kimberly is looking to be the Juri of the newcomers in terms of popularity.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
So here's a little something to pass the time for people that are obsessing a little over the next 4 days like me.

Alpha players - Who's your main, secondary, and why?

New players - Who are you looking forward to playing the most and why?

Alpha player here

Main : Bugs Bunny - I fucking love Looney Tunes with Bugs only coming behind Daffy as my favorite. His playstyle is extremely up my alley, being a zoning/setup character, and he's an absolute blast to play while really doing his character justice. I think he's one of the best team players too, and I really do think he's one of the very best in the game period, at least in the previous alpha.

Secondary : Shaggy - I love Scooby Doo and while it's hard to pick a favorite from the gang, if I had to Shaggy would probably be it. I'm a big DBZ fan and while normally I think adapting a meme like UI Shaggy would be a bit cringe, I think it totally works here and is awesome and funny. I love playing all-arounder characters too and he's that with some limit breaking burst capabilities and a couple of other tricks. His powered up form actually can be scary. Just feels really good to play all around.

Shaggy is the only fighter I used in the alpha and will be using when the public beta comes out until another fighter like RX-78-2 Gundam or Wing Gundam comes, since that's on the table. Scooby Doo is the only WB IP I like because it was something that me, my brothers, and my late father bonded over and I love the Shaggy UI meme and what it spawned during the Universal Survival/Tournament Arc.
Here's what I found, from an interview with one of the show's creators, George Krstic, back in 2014
Welp, that explains the total silence on the IP.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Disney does still do brand games though, they just outsource them. There's three different gacha auto-battle games with Disney characters out there, plus that free to play racer coming soon. I think it'd be really cool if they let WB use some of their characters, but I feel like someone at Disney during the process would be like "why aren't we just licensing out our own version of this?"

They may also be reticent to allow it for brand integrity reasons. Sora going to different dimensions may as well be canon, but in all three gacha games there's different justifications for the crossover specifying it's not really the 'real' version of the characters, and WB doesn't seem to have that problem.

Again, though, I'd love to see it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Those OCs could've been repurposed into other character moves or came from an earlier version of the game pre-WB. I wouldn't be making immediate assumption about the datamine like that.
We still have Reindog, so I doubt that the OCs will be repurposed into other characters.

Only if they recast his English voice. If not, just get Nero or Vergil. SF6 Ken will be the litmus test for this.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So you can't actually get any drops until the 19th, right? People on Twitch now saying "drops enabled" are just farming viewers, yes?

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Disney does still do brand games though, they just outsource them. There's three different gacha auto-battle games with Disney characters out there, plus that free to play racer coming soon. I think it'd be really cool if they let WB use some of their characters, but I feel like someone at Disney during the process would be like "why aren't we just licensing out our own version of this?"

I think the argument here would basically be that, if multiversus takes off (which is really what the whole argument is predicated upon), those disney people will look at it and go "is it better for us to strike a deal and get 30% (to throw out a random number) of all revenue from our licensed characters on a game we already know is successful, or is it better for us to take a risk and try to license out all our ip into our own game?"

because there's upside there, sure, but there's also a lot of risk - the reason everyone and their mother puts characters into fortnite isn't just because fortnite's big or because "it's a shooter game where they're just adding costumes" (brand approvals are an awful thing, believe me, I know), it's because they know that making a competitor will probably flop. like, when someone's doing preliminary research into making a multiversus competitor, there's some pretty cautionary tales there - PSASBR, the nickelodeon one, etc. there's a lot of reason for those disney people to think that it's safer to partner with an existing game than to make their own, and I don't think disney's looking to take risks within the gaming sphere because... well, because they're not doing it, and they could if they wanted to.

all of this could be wrong, it'd ultimately come down to what the disney heads decided, but the argument for why you'd do it certainly exists

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I reaaaally hope they either make another stage that's battlefield styled or give us the option to skin the current one with various themes. Because having one of the best and most neutral stages in the game be a training grid is so lame. I'm so over that phase in fighting games.

15162-16534486234768-1920.jpg

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I reaaaally hope they either make another stage that's battlefield styled or give us the option to skin the current one with various themes. Because having one of the best and most neutral stages in the game be a training grid is so lame. I'm so over that phase in fighting games.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm so tired of those fucking Grids...

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I am terrible at fighting games, like best I can do is mash buttons. Ive never been good at anything like combos and stuff. I suck at smash bros too, just can mash buttons. Is this game about on the level of smash bros to get good at?

Its weird I am even looking forward to it, since my history with fighting games is to usually avoid them like the plague. But this whole game/roster has me really intrigued. Especially earlier when someone mentioned they said they want it to be the fortnite of fighters.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am terrible at fighting games, like best I can do is mash buttons. Ive never been good at anything like combos and stuff. I suck at smash bros too, just can mash buttons. Is this game about on the level of smash bros to get good at?

Its weird I am even looking forward to it, since my history with fighting games is to usually avoid them like the plague. But this whole game/roster has me really intrigued. Especially earlier when someone mentioned they said they want it to be the fortnite of fighters.
It's pretty easy to pick up and the tutorials do a good job of introducing players to the mechanics imo. If you found enjoyment out of smash this may be up your alley.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

i was a fan of Arya exactly because of how mash friendly was her

like she literally has a version of the "homing flying kick" like Sora and Bayonetta have on smash that is super mash friendly

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I never got my invite confirmation btw.

Probably glitched out in their system. But the team got back to me and said they'll help.
May want to ring them if you're in the same situation(with proof of your previous access on like Steam etc..).

You know what the devs are mad responsive you should tag them on twitter.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Glad we can just buy our way in, I feel that most of us would've gotten the founders anyway unless it's some really bad value.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like that's already in the works based on this Tweet from earlier this month.

View: https://twitter.com/Tony_Huynh/status/1544504865614835713

Fantastic! Although given the game's current music I kinda doubt the incredible music comment. But as long as it's visually updated that's the most important thing.

So so good they're giving early access to EVO players out the gate. It didn't feel right that some of them may only have 1 weekend to practice before the tournament.

Also yeah I'm planning on buying whatever the founder's pack is regardless unless it's an obvious rip off. Cool that it's confirmed to give early access.

24 hours people!!!

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Speaking of EVO, registration for the evo side tournament ends today in 9 hours. If you're going to evo and want a partner (me!), then let me know by then and we can sign up!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic! Although given the game's current music I kinda doubt the incredible music comment. But as long as it's visually updated that's the most important thing.

I think there's a few good tracks in there even if some of it's not particularly fitting for a battle. The Come Along With Me instrumental on the Adventure Time stage is pretty great, and I really love the jazzy tune that plays on Scooby's Haunted Mansion when someone's about to win. I wish it played that for the whole match instead of just near the end! I actually had to make my own recording since the only uploads online were of the first part before the transition at 0:55.

View: https://youtu.be/ns-xgWUKBbc