• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
From the latest financial earnings call:

In our Warcraft franchise, we intend to deliver more frequent premium content to sustain and expand the World of Warcraft community and we've made multiple, mobile, free-to-play Warcraft experiences and they're now in advanced development based on our franchise's beloved IP.

I know this place isn't big on mobile gaming, but I am pretty stoked for Diablo Immortal. Not a big HS fan after decades of MtG but if this can lead to WoW mobile I would be thrilled.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i hope one of them is warcraft 3 pre-reforged

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
They've been working on a couple of Warcraft mobile games for years now. I wonder what's been taking them so long.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They've been working on a couple of Warcraft mobile games for years now. I wonder what's been taking them so long.

The co-developers on Diablo Immortal said the game was "basically done" 2 years ago. I'm glad they are taking their time and polishing these projects before release.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
After re-forged and its screwup due to unrealistic deadlines and budgets thanks to Activision I don't have any more faith left in Blizzard anymore.
Especially with Warcraft.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
After re-forged and its screwup due to unrealistic deadlines and budgets thanks to Activision I don't have any more faith left in Blizzard anymore.
Especially with Warcraft.
sounds like they learned some lessons from WC3 since they're reportedly being very careful in their handling of D2's remaster, but given the staffing situations... who knows.

Jun 19, 2020
Are we ever going to get something on consoles though?
Probably:
Multiplayer FPS with openworld and NPC encounters. Could be StarCraft as an FPS.

careers.blizzard.com

Mid-Level or Associate Combat Designer, Unannounced Project in Irvine, California, United States of America | Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

Apply for Mid-Level or Associate Combat Designer, Unannounced Project job with Blizzard Entertainment in Irvine, California, United States of America. Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

careers.blizzard.com

Senior/Lead Content Designer, Unannounced Project in Irvine, California, United States of America | Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

Apply for Senior/Lead Content Designer, Unannounced Project job with Blizzard Entertainment in Irvine, California, United States of America. Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

Job Posting:
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate senior content designer to design and implement content for an unannounced AAA multiplayer project. In this role, you will create a cohesive vision for spawning, encounters, world events, and environmental storytelling, and will work with a cross-discipline team to bring that vision to life.

The ideal candidate will have proven experience designing and scripting open world or emergent gameplay content for modern AAA multiplayer titles.

Responsibilities:

• Analyze, pitch, prototype, and develop content for an unannounced AAA multiplayer project.
  • Spawn and script creatures to create convincing ambient behavior and interesting combat encounters.
  • Bring together content systems, level design, and IP development to tell compelling ambient stories.
  • Create one-page designs, content briefs, system outlines, and whatever other communication tools are necessary for succinctly and effectively communicating vision.
  • Act as the bridge between deep satisfying game mechanics and compelling fantasy & world.
  • Leverage technical expertise to implement systems in proprietary tools.
  • Lead playtest sessions, building a safe and productive environment for constructive feedback.
  • Collaborate with multiple disciplines, ensuring partners are involved and informed throughout development.
  • Provide regular active feedback across all of your features, and across the game as a whole.
  • Act as a champion of consistent and intuitive mechanics.
  • Remain current on industry trends including new game genres, new game design techniques, and trending audio-visual excellence.

Requirements

• 6+ years of experience shipping AAA multiplayer titles in content or systems design roles.
  • Multiple shipped titles in a senior role with a history of successful features.
  • Ability to communicate design vision and to align vision within the team.
  • Experience with versatile game development tools such as Unity, Unreal, or similar proprietary tools.
  • Extensive player experience with games, including action, open world, and online titles.
  • Extraordinary self-motivation and initiative, and a positive attitude in the face of challenges.

Pluses

• Deep understanding of systems design, player psychology, and emerging industry trends.
  • Familiarity with scripting languages.
  • A friendly demeanor that brings people together.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Probably:
Multiplayer FPS with openworld and NPC encounters. Could be StarCraft as an FPS.

careers.blizzard.com

Mid-Level or Associate Combat Designer, Unannounced Project in Irvine, California, United States of America | Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

Apply for Mid-Level or Associate Combat Designer, Unannounced Project job with Blizzard Entertainment in Irvine, California, United States of America. Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

careers.blizzard.com

Senior/Lead Content Designer, Unannounced Project in Irvine, California, United States of America | Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

Apply for Senior/Lead Content Designer, Unannounced Project job with Blizzard Entertainment in Irvine, California, United States of America. Game Design at Blizzard Entertainment

Job Posting:

They were developing a Starcraft FPS, but it was cancelled in order to put more focus on OW2. Not sure if they're hiring to resurrect it or if it's a new project altogether.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
We don't want any of them. Thanks.

I'd like to think these are going to me just more than branded fluff but it ain't my first rodeo.

For years I was hyped at the thought of a Warcraft 4, but even now I understand it will never happen, or would be weirdly compromised. Even though lore takes a distant backseat to most World of Warcraft players' interests, I really think Blizzard would shy away from making a sequel of actual substance that takes place in the main universe/timeline/setting.

Especially considering that World of Warcraft is still working its way through concluding plot threads from Warcraft 3.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think these are going to me just more than branded fluff but it ain't my first rodeo.

For years I was hyped at the thought of a Warcraft 4, but even now I understand it will never happen, or would be weirdly compromised. Even though lore takes a distant backseat to most World of Warcraft players' interests, I really think Blizzard would shy away from making a sequel of actual substance that takes place in the main universe/timeline/setting.

Especially considering that World of Warcraft is still working its way through concluding plot threads from Warcraft 3.

Eh, the Bronze Dragonflight exist. If Blizzard really wanted to make a WC4, they could just create an alternate timeline that isn't restrained by WoW and pick up where WC3: The Frozen Throne left off.

The mass exodus of all their talent the last 3 years.

That must be hugely dependent on the team. The WoW team hasn't had much change in leadership/team members for a couple of expansions now.

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Activision said they want to expand all their major franchises like they did with COD. Premium, Free to play, and mobile all being interconnected. Blizzard has made similar attempts by offering bonuses between games like cosmetics and such and Diablo is going this way with Diablo IV and Diablo Immortal.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Can they fix Reforged first? :-/

I know this place isn't big on mobile gaming, but I am pretty stoked for Diablo Immortal.
I actually am as well! I wasn't initially, especially after its tone-deaf reveal, but after the info blowout in December I got considerably more interested. Looks a lot better now. I'm hopeful it plays well, cause Diablo IV is still a long ways off and this could be a good bridge between now and then if they do it right.