• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gathering additional details, but the two already listed - Chapo Trap House and David Pakman have been identified.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Maybe it's a rights thing? Aren't these debates heavily locked down by the networks that sponsor them?

edit: absolutely doesn't make this fair, just trying to isolate a culprit

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
So they wanted to get paid to stream a live broadcast, seems pretty straightforward why they'd get shut down

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's dumb as shit but it happened before so they should have been more careful. Hasan just did like a commentary as it was going on but didn't show it.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Maybe it's a rights thing? Aren't these debates heavily locked down by the networks that sponsor them?

edit: absolutely doesn't make this fair, just trying to isolate a culprit
are the rights for the debate owned by the tv networks?

Yes. From a rights perspective it is no different than, say, a NFL game.

You can commentate all you want, but if you rebroadcast the original source without permission, you're in violation.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These streamers seem entitled. No, you cannot stream things you don't have rights to. You need permission.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So he was showing video with subtitles with no audio ? Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think audio is the determining factor in copyrighted content. I don't think the debates should be but its their content.
Image would also be copyrighted. So I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea.

Just do what all the shitty reaction channels do: cam on their face with some indication of where to start the content.

Gonna be wild if they let the Trihex ban go away but smaller channels stick.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I agree, but then the conversation should be - why are these debates copyrighted? wack system.

They are party events.

Work products of the Federal government cannot be copyrighted in the US (overseas yes, but not in the US).

This is a private party event. Not a government event.

Again, comparing it to a NFL game is apt. The party puts on the event and then assigns broadcast rights.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
you know what these streamers could do while respecting others' copyrighted material?
run their own streams without using other people's copyrighted material. they can certain comment on it without putting the footage on their own stream.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
this seems uh extremely relevant given the reactions since this post

That tweet says nothing of value.

Most takedown notices are sent by third party companies. Neither the tweet or Hobbes has posted any evidence that this was a rogue takedown.

Regardless, since it is a copyright violation, and against Twitch TOS, none of the channels really has any viable channel of appeal.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
you know what these streamers could do while respecting others' copyrighted material?
run their own streams without using other people's copyrighted material. they can certain comment on it without putting the footage on their own stream.
Eh while copyrights are a thing I don't think we need to go to bat for television networks showing something that helps determine the fate of our country.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
They are party events.

Work products of the Federal government cannot be copyrighted in the US (overseas yes, but not in the US).

This is a private party event. Not a government event.

Again, comparing it to a NFL game is apt. The party puts on the event and then assigns broadcast rights.
I mean, yes you're right, but comparing a Democratic primary debate to an NFL game is either super fucked up because, it's a political debate, right, and that should be full open, right? Or it's super fucked up because primary debates don't achieve anything higher than a sports game-level seriousness?

Either way, yeah the law is against these dudes but that seems messed up for a debate on a future political candidate!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes you're right, but comparing a Democratic primary debate to an NFL game is either super fucked up because, it's a political debate, right, and that should be full open, right? Or it's super fucked up because primary debates don't achieve anything higher than a sports game-level seriousness?

Either way, yeah the law is against these dudes but that seems messed up for a debate on a future political candidate!

Yeah saying "welp, that's the law" doesn't make it ethical.

In an ideal world, they'd throw all these debates up on CSPAN or PBS.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
they should have mashed buttons on a controller to hide the fact it was a live event

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The primary debates are sponsored by a network so they can actually happen. These networks pay rights fees for this. They are literally taking someone else's work and trying to monetize it for themselves, and yet have the audacity to say that it's "ruining democracy". And it's not like you couldn't watch it for free legally anyway.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
This has been happening ever since the first dem debates. I know it's shitty, but they should have adjusted by now. Did Hasan Piker get banned? After his first ban over this he switched to a different method of doing the debates where he syncs with chat but doesn't play the video.

That said there's a fair discussion to be had on why this is copyrighted material at all. Political debates should be free to share discuss by everyone regardless of who owns the original broadcast. But alas, America.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The deserved to be banned for TOS violations? Copyrighted Content 101.

This has been happening ever since the first dem debates. I know it's shitty, but they should have adjusted by now. Did Hasan Piker get banned? After his first ban over this he switched to a different method of doing the debates where he syncs with chat but doesn't play the video.

That said there's a fair discussion to be had on why this is copyrighted material at all. Political debates should be free to share discuss by everyone regardless of who owns the original broadcast. But alas, America.
until all debates are federally sponsored, these are and should be TOS violations. The laws are very clear and simple to understand here.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
The deserved to be banned for TOS violations? Copyrighted Content 101.

until all debates are federally sponsored, these are and should be TOS violations. The laws are very clear and simple to understand here.
Right, I don't disagree. I'm just saying that discussion on changing the law or how things should be different is a fair discussion to be had.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Bernie violated copyright laws by tweeting a video clip of one of his responses in the debate.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every day we discover a new reminder of how fundamentally broken our system of government is

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wasn't the debate freely available anyway? I don't have cable and just watched it live on YT on my Roku.

Last edited:

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
This is good actually, because corporations bankrolled the debates and thus it should be allowed to ruin every part of the american political process

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't get why they thought they could stream a debate by one party on commercially operated networks.

this wasn't some debate paid for by the government in the general and airing on C-Span

Status
Not open for further replies.