• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Three sites reporting so it must be real, right?

I mean, it also makes a lot of sense. It doesn't seem like any of Nintendo's major internal teams are due for releasing a big game this fall, and this is pretty much what I'd expect a company in Nintendo's shoes to do when faced with that scenario. It's also a milestone anniversary for Super Mario, and Nintendo has celebrated pretty much every one of those with some sort of retro collection or retro-inspired game. This isn't anything outlandish, like a Star Fox racing game, or anything.

Also, it's more than three sources reporting this. Emily Rogers was first to this very smokey fire; she said it would be a good year for Mario fans and then talked about how Nintendo's goal was getting all of their old games in HD on the Switch.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Anybody expecting too much out of these remasters is going to be disappointed. It's Nintendo, and depending on how they're released I'd seriously expect nothing more than straight ports with standard rendering benefits (higher resolution, more stable framerate, better antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, maybe more rendering passes and higher samples on shaders and effects), the games mainly tooled for the Switch hardware and controls and not much more.

Mario 64 is totally going to be Mario 64 as you know it in 1080p with some clean AA and AF. ~fin

I'm all in for Mario 64 at 1080p 60fps with better filtering (and maybe AA? Nintendo doesn't seem to care about AA...). Updating the camera to work with right analog would be nice as would eliminating any pop-in.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
now do Zelda next

but seriously tho the prospect of playing Sunshine and Galaxy 1&2 on the Switch makes me salivate

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Plot twist: all Galaxy 2 levels, Yoshi and power ups are in Galaxy 1 now. Considering Galaxy 2 story was far behind Galaxy 1 and didn't had a proper overworld too, this makes so much sense.

Your reaction=?
Seek help.

They'll all be released individually. And all at $59.99 each.

Anyone thinking they'll bundle them in a collection is delusional.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody expecting too much out of these remasters is going to be disappointed. It's Nintendo, and depending on how they're released I'd seriously expect nothing more than straight ports with standard rendering benefits (higher resolution, more stable framerate, better antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, maybe more rendering passes and higher samples on shaders and effects), the games mainly tooled for the Switch hardware and controls and not much more.

Mario 64 is totally going to be Mario 64 as you know it in 1080p with some clean AA and AF. ~fin
I don't think that makes sense for Mario 64. The game ran on seriously limited hardware. I don't think a remaster is even possible. It will either be a full remake or a game that comes with N64 VC. I think the former is more likely going off the rumors.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE ADD A NEW EPILOGUE TO EACH GAME TO CLEAN UP THE TIMELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone had to say it

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Holy if that is real!
I am one of the few people who neverwas into Mario 64. Played it just very little..and it was boring for me..dont know why..but Super Mario World was the only way at that time, how i wanted to play Mario games. But now, i am sooo looking forward to play Mario 64 on my switch - if it indeed would release! I wonder if they would make it like the XBDE or the Crash Bandicot ´N Sane Trilogy. Hyped also for Galaxy and 3d World!

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has the timing of these announcements been discussed at all?Is it leaking now because Nintendo is planning a video presentation on all things Mario soon?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I personally don't believe it... but if I had to guess most of them out be outsourced

- 64 being a full blown remake by Nintendo with Odyssey visuals and all the content of 64 DS;
- Sunshine & Galaxy 2 HD remasters by Tantalus maybe?
- Galaxy 1 is already in HD on NVidia Shield in China;
- 3D Land would be either be reconstructed in the 3D World graphical engine or the remaster would be done by Grezzo;
- and a 3D World port is expected regardless of this particular rumor

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
No way. They release Galaxy 1 and 2 bundled at $59.

The rest $29.99. Unless they are completely overhauled.

Hopefully this is real.

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine bundled for $59.99
Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 bundled for $59.99
Super Mario 3D World Deluxe for $59.99

...is the most likely scenario to me. Released in that order.

64 is the real draw of the 64/Sunshine set; they won't let people buy just that for $29.99.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Sign me the fuck up for Galaxy on my Switch. Looking forward to being able to play it without having to dig out an old console.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

On the contrary I'd suggest the bolded would rule out straight ports. I could see cheaper/compilation emulated versions but if they are being rereleased as full products then it would be reasonable to expect the treatment that Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Star Fox 64, Wind Waker and now Xenoblade got.

Twilight Princess is the obvious outlier in how Nintendo treats updated rereleases to more powerful platforms.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
OMG if it's all of the 3D games coming to the Switch, I won't mind having Odyssey 2 a few years later, as all these games are some of my favourite games ever. Hopefully they can also find a way to bring 3D Land alongside 3D World.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
"as long as you survive the deadliest virus ever, you'll be able to witness the best year of gaming in your entire life"
Grrrrrrr

Aug 12, 2019
I really hope Super Mario 64 gets the big beautiful HD remake it deserves instead of just an up-resed port. Super Mario 64 is brilliant, but it has aged a lot in the past 24 years and could benefit from some real work.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Scenes when it becomes clear that Mario 64, after being elevated a modern technological standard, is better than any other Mario game since its original release.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE ADD A NEW EPILOGUE TO EACH GAME TO CLEAN UP THE TIMELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone had to say it
Koizumi: Add more story to 3D Mario games? Hold my beer!

I actually prefer Koizumi to Miyamoto's approach. SMG2 aalways felt like it was missing the grandiour of SMG1 (same with 3d world). Koizumi has only done a bad story with SMS, and i think he clearly learned from that lesson after what we saw with Galaxy 1 and Odyssey

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah remember that Tom Phillips answered "👀" when asked "I hope it won't be Super Mario All Star" again when the reports started, I believe this new report of a collection of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2 in one package, seems like it might be what Tom was hinting at when he answered that to the All Star message.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Random thought : I'm still salty we are getting these before the much rumored Prime trilogy remaster.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Unless it's a collection, I can't see us getting all those titles--Paper Mario and 3D World likely though.

I'll gladly eat the crow if proven wrong.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eeeeh...remember starfox gp?

Lol that one was pretty wild.

I mean, it also makes a lot of sense. It doesn't seem like any of Nintendo's major internal teams are due for releasing a big game this fall, and this is pretty much what I'd expect a company in Nintendo's shoes to do when faced with that scenario. It's also a milestone anniversary for Super Mario, and Nintendo has celebrated pretty much every one of those with some sort of retro collection or retro-inspired game. This isn't anything outlandish, like a Star Fox racing game, or anything.

Also, it's more than three sources reporting this. Emily Rogers was first to this very smokey fire; she said it would be a good year for Mario fans and then talked about how Nintendo's goal was getting all of their old games in HD on the Switch.

Didn't know about the Emily part. Hopefully not just Mario games get there then.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine and 3D World are trash, but it'll be nice for the people who (incomprehensibly, to me) like them.

Galaxy/2 needs to be in HD. I'm not a huge fan of the games, but the visuals are stunning (and the music, of course - best OST ever, IMO). I'll probably re-buy them and then hate the trash-bombing and rollcage stars with all of my fucking being yet again.

But Mario 64? I'm so ready for a re-mastered (or better yet, re-made) version of that game.

Also, announce Odyssey 2, you cowards...because, you know, doing all this isn't enough or whatever...

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The rumor says that a Super Mario Allstars 2 package is a possibility. That would make sense. Would be a big value and a good holiday game 1 candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.