• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've played every Mario game except Mario Galaxy 1+2. Should I be excited?

For reference my all time favourites are 64 and Sunshine.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I love Sunshine. Such a good summer-y game.

They should make another game using FLUDD. Great mechanic.

Hopefully the remaster fixes the awful controls though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't mean these exactly, but that there're ports in the works that never materialize.
Eurogamer doesn't have a perfect track record (they were one of the big names behind Pokemon Stars) but they have a pretty good one. There definitely are clickbait sites that will post any random 4chan post they find but Eurogame for the most part has been fairly consistent.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Galaxy 2 is my favourite Mario game ever, in 1080p60fps, that would be gorgeous, I've never played Sunshine or 3D World, so I'm looking forward to these new experiences!

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Galaxy in HD!! Cannot wait for it!! And 3D World is also welcomed.

I think I will rebuy both.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Remasters of he older 3D games would be cool, assuming they are of good quality. Just bumping up the resolution N64/GC/Wii games isn't going to cut it though, particularly for the former, considering the level of quality of many remasters these days.

Skeptical about Paper Mario for now, considering the series hasn't been good for a while...would love it if this was truly a return to form.

The only thing that bugs me about all of this is that Mario is always so we'll represented on Nintendo platforms, and certainly on the Switch, so it makes me kind of sad that so many of their other series can't even get a single new game or remaster.
Simple upres of a Wii game doesn't look amazing but looks pretty good

I'm sure there's footage of Galaxy and Galaxy 2 running at 1080p in Dolphin somewhere

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit

My levels of getting a Switch have gone from 'Nah', to 'ehh' to a solid 'maybe'

This is a system seller to me. I'm 37 years old and sad

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all in for Papaer Mario 64.

Does this mean all the Mario Party games because just take my money now.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I'm really curious how they price these. I'd like to see them drop Mario 64 for free for Nintendo Switch Online. Then they could charge 10 bucks for the other games. I'd like to see the Galaxy games come as a single pack.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Well, I've said it before, but I definitely wonder how they'll pull off Sunshine without analog triggers (no "two different levels of pressure" wouldn't work).

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Nintendo usually announces games when they have a clear release date--some exception like the disastrous Wii U years to please investors.

If all these rumors are true, it would be a Super Mario Direct, not just a generic ND.
I would assume an announcement of all these remasters and the 35th Anniversary back catalog project would be big enough news for its own Mario-centered Direct.
A Super Mario direct would be hype as shit.

But I guess the surprise is ruined now lol
Nintendo hasnt announced anything.
Also last week's Direct wasn't the last one for this year lol.
I mean, if people are reporting it, I just imagine that it's close to announcement/release.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Isn't Galaxy kinda expected since it's on the Nvidia Shield in China since years now?
3D World has been rumored by every insider at this point since months too.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Remasters of 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, a port of 3D World, and a new Paper Mario game all this year?

Let's fucking go.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
You can absolutely render Mario 64 at 1080p and call it a day, which they totally will do. It will look ok.
All you need to do is render it in widescreen, 1080p and revise the camera controls. I know it's not trivial work, but the game does not need a full remake. Same with Sunshine, except you need to find a way around the lack of analog triggers.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for the Mario franchise but this seems really cool, I wish they did something like this for Metroid.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd welcome such a release. Super Mario 64 is one of my absolute favorite games of all time. My mouth drools at the thought of it running in 60fps.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Damn this leak. Done right, this could be really exciting. When Nintendo revealed the Switch as the culmination of all their previous hardware, I hoped that meant we'd get access to a huge chunk of their back catalogue through it. Now this would 'only' be the Super Mario series, but that's one hell of a start right there. I'm hoping it's an ambitious but reasonable roll-out of almost all the core Super Mario games, along with exciting new games, as implied by the report, but who knows.

I really want to know what Nintendo are planning with this. Super Mario Direct soon, please?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get ready to throw controllers at the pachinko level in HD.
Or marvel at the incredibly shitty final bossfight in sweet 1080p.

I look forward to all the LTTP and RTTP threads about how Sunshine really doesn't hold up that well. Unless it gets the WW HD treatment. I really hope it does.

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Can't believe I wake up to this Gamexplain notif before i get on Animal Crossing for today. If this is true, they have me by the balls. I will explode at the announce of just Marii 64 HD, but if they are doing every other game I have to fork up the cash.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Would this give credence to the "return-to-form" Paper Mario rumor floating around a while back? Playing through Color Splash now and it's fine, but man, I'd give anything to wash the taste of Sticker Star out of my mouth.

I'm down for these remasters, regardless -- wasn't that hot on 3D World when it first came out, but I'd love to give it another shot! Galaxy without waggle would be an interesting experiment.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Would love to see a 64/Sunshine/Galaxy collection, but they're gonna be sold separately aren't they?

I'm weak though so will still probably buy them. The three of them are just great games.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Seperate threads for seperate discussion I guess lol.

Galaxy and 3D World coming to the Switch is nice and all but I'm way more interested in 64 and Sunshine 🤷‍♂️

Eh it's still the same discussion ... imo ... just every outlet out there trying to 1up the others with details. ;]

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hoping against everything we've heard that some wires were crossed somewhere and the message 'Galaxy being released in HD' alongside the other games meant to say both games but 2 didn't warrant a mention because the first overshadowed it somewhat.

All 3D Mario on Switch but Galaxy 2 would be heartbreaking. On its 10th anniversary too!

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for both of these, though I hope they are more than just straight ports. I want the extra stars and characters that were in the DS version of Mario 64 without the shitty D-Pad controls, and I want Nintendo to try to smooth out at least some of Sunshines rough edges, like the blue coin hunt.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you say that, are you referring to what they would do if they simply put it on an N64 Online service as they currently have for SNES and NES?

At minimum it should have all the assets rendered at 720p or higher, not just the regular game upscaled like a VC title. Hoping for better but this seems the most realistic.

I think he meant re-rendering the geometry at 1080p, kinda like Dolphin (emulator) does.

Yes, this!

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
ConcreteAthleticIncatern-size_restricted.gif

My sould ascending to heaven when this gets officially announced
Real shit mario 64 remaster please ninty

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine and Galaxy in HD is a dream come true. I wonder if they will just have improved resolution or if they'll go the Wind Waker route and actually change the lighting.
Please please please the latter. I can't wait to see HD Sunshine and HD Galaxy. A simple resolution uplift would be disappointing, they could have done that years ago now, as China demonstrates. I want to see them new graphics.

All you need to do is render it in widescreen, 1080p and revise the camera controls. I know it's not trivial work, but the game does not need a full remake. Same with Sunshine, except you need to find a way around the lack of analog triggers.
Dude no. We waited so long for this. And even though the art style of those are still good, the tech did age horribly. Low res textures everywhere, flat last gen lighting with no dynamic shadows... it's not good in this day and age. Expect better from your favorite company please. They could have ported a simple up-ressed version like the Tegra Shield one years agooo...!!!!

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Simple upres of a Wii game doesn't look amazing but looks pretty good

I'm sure there's footage of Galaxy and Galaxy 2 running at 1080p in Dolphin somewhere
There is, although it's usually augmented by other things like AA, etc. But yeah they look fine. My point was more like, in the context of what remasters have now become with things like Crash, Xenoblade, etc., being more or less complete visual overhauls, it would be pretty lame if they cheaped out on Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.