• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
How Bob-omb Battlefield looks in the Odyssey engine.

This is actually pretty close to what I imagine the game will look like

The scale of the world would probably be changed though to make things a little bit further apart.

And I imagine the world won't have those closed off walls anymore either. Kinda like how Odyssey gave the illusion of vast open fields beyond the Kingdom, you probably will see that a lot more with areas/worlds like Bob-omb battlefield

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
as someone who's Switch is the first Nintendo console i've owned since the Gameboy Advance i am beyond excited for this. Odyssey is perhaps my favourite game on the Switch so being able to play all the previous 3D outings on this thing for the first time will be a dream come true

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be something closer to this:

Basically Mario 64 at 60FPS, with widescreen support and rendered at 1080p.

Maybe a some texture improvements, but anything beyond that would probably change the game too much. Basically more or less what Sega does with their Sega Ages releases (see Virtua Racing on switch, for example).

(I know, the texture pack featured at the end of the video sucks, but everything before that is pretty much perfect IMO)

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe a some texture improvements, but anything beyond that would probably change the game too much. Basically more or less what Sega does with their Sega Ages releases (see Virtua Racing on switch, for example).

Christ.. Mario 64 is just magic.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

(I know, the texture pack featured at the end of the video sucks, but everything before that is pretty much perfect IMO)

It'll be that at the absolute least, and that's actually not too bad. I could deal with that.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they included the best parts of Super Mario DS for this either.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As great as this looks and runs, Nintendo knows how beloved 64 is, and it's been about 3 years since the Odyssey team have put out anything. I really feel we're looking at a full on remake with visuals on par with Odyssey.

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
This is actually pretty close to what I imagine the game will look like

The scale of the world would probably be changed though to make things a little bit further apart.

And I imagine the world won't have those closed off walls anymore either. Kinda like how Odyssey gave the illusion of vast open fields beyond the Kingdom, you probably will see that a lot more with areas/worlds like Bob-omb battlefield
I would like mario 64 to look a bit more surreal like the Mario Kart VR game with low polygons

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
As great as this looks and runs, Nintendo knows how beloved 64 is, and it's been about 3 years since the Odyssey team have put out anything. I really feel we're looking at a full on remake with visuals on par with Odyssey.

That would make sense to me…as a full-priced release.

I can't see them doing that and putting it in a collection with two or three "lightly retouched" remasters.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Even if 64 receives a basic widescreen 60fps remaster as suggested here, I still think they'll make a few smaller adjustments to the game outside of the visuals. At the very least, an improved camera is a MUST; and while I want Mario's handling to remaining mostly the same, I wouldn't be upset with them changing the wall jump to be consistent with every subsequent 3D Mario game (sliding down walls).

They should also add Luigi as a bonus for getting 120 stars; just hold down L when selecting a file or something.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
~ DREAM SCENARIO ~

Journalists heard that SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy were coming to Switch. They also heard that a collection of three Mario remasters were coming. They assumed that these three remasters were SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

But they assumed wrong! In actually, SM64 is a full-priced full remake by the Odyssey team, as teased in SMO. It's the marquee 35th Anniversary title. But that collection of remasters is still coming, and it still has three remasters – Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2.

~ fin ~

Oct 27, 2017
~ DREAM SCENARIO ~

Journalists heard that SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy were coming to Switch. They also heard that a collection of three Mario remasters were coming. They assumed that these three remasters were SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

But they assumed wrong! In actually, SM64 is a full-priced full remake by the Odyssey team, as teased in SMO. It's the marquee 35th Anniversary title. But that collection of remasters is still coming, and it still has three remasters – Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2.

~ fin ~
I'd be happy if this happened. 64 needs the most work, the others can mostly be higher res

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
~ DREAM SCENARIO ~

~ fin ~

I could see something like that being the case, yeah.

A full on 64 remake could be a great holiday title.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I really hate to be a downer, but I think "hope for the best, expect the worst" is important here. The fact that at least three games are being bundled together makes me think that Nintendo is not going to put a lot of work into them. I think it'll be similar to the Kirby collection from a few years ago, with essentially rom dumps of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

I imagine 64 will be more or less a virtual console port. Sunshine might have some work done to the water pressure of FLUDD, but since you never need anything other than full force, I can imagine Nintendo just making right trigger fire FLUDD at full power then maybe right bumper let Mario run around while spraying. Galaxy will likely be the Nvidia port. Galaxy 2 is probably not included because of the Yoshi tongue and Nintendo not wanting to do significant work to make that work on Switch.

If Nintendo are actually making significant changes, I imagine this is the next big 3D Mario project on Switch. I would not imagine an Odyssey 2 coming out soon if Nintendo is running 64 in the Odyssey engine or anything like that.

But then again, I could be completely wrong, and I would love to be.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
~ DREAM SCENARIO ~

~ fin ~
I actually think this is a very likely scenario. Sunshine and Galaxy games would look good on HD, while 64 would need a lot of extra work.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I really hate to be a downer, but I think "hope for the best, expect the worst" is important here. The fact that at least three games are being bundled together makes me think that Nintendo is not going to put a lot of work into them. I think it'll be similar to the Kirby collection from a few years ago, with essentially rom dumps of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

I imagine 64 will be more or less a virtual console port. Sunshine might have some work done to the water pressure of FLUDD, but since you never need anything other than full force, I can imagine Nintendo just making right trigger fire FLUDD at full power then maybe right bumper let Mario run around while spraying. Galaxy will likely be the Nvidia port. Galaxy 2 is probably not included because of the Yoshi tongue and Nintendo not wanting to do significant work to make that work on Switch.

If Nintendo are actually making significant changes, I imagine this is the next big 3D Mario project on Switch. I would not imagine an Odyssey 2 coming out soon if Nintendo is running 64 in the Odyssey engine or anything like that.

But then again, I could be completely wrong, and I would love to be.
There's a huge middle ground between bare-bones emulation and each game receiving a major overhaul though. I really don't think expecting native ports here is unreasonable; i'd almost say it should be expected if Nintendo want to push this as a 'remastered' collection.

It wouldn't necessarily be a time-consuming endeavor either; Wind Waker HD was completed in six months after all, so if EPD Group 8 just follow that game's footsteps for Sunshine and possibly Galaxy (using the "special method of converting GameCube data", making some manual adjustments themselves and potentially outsourcing the updated texture work to external studios) it could reasonably happen.

64 would probably receive a different treatment entirely. I'm not quite sure what they'd go for there, but i'm fine with something simple like this.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is going to give less effort and charge more money on this than Activision did on their collections

Sit on that

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
~ DREAM SCENARIO ~

~ fin ~

But then that's four $60 Mario games releasing in the fall. Likely a bit much. Three was already kinda crazy.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Nintendo is going to give less effort and charge more money on this than Activision did on their collections

Sit on that

The games are much better and have much more content, 3D world already looks better than the Activision remasters on the Wii U, and Galaxy and Sunshine would with just a small upscaling. The only game that would need much effort to be comparable or better than those games is 64. This is fine.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Mario 64 gets the full remake treatment, please do OoT next year!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
But then that's four $60 Mario games releasing in the fall. Likely a bit much. Three was already kinda crazy.

I mean, 3D World Deluxe could be June for all we know.

But anyway, I'm not saying the ~ DREAM SCENARIO ~ is at all likely, that's why I called it the dream scenario. If you asked me what I thought was most likely, I'd say that the simplest explanation is likely the correct one and we're getting an All-Stars 2 with SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy remasters.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Naxat

Oct 29, 2017
A full sm64 remake in odyssey engine could easily be the big holiday title for Nintendo and one of the biggest releasees of the year, I think it would be stupid if they bundle just an upres with other two amazing games.
My guess and what I really hope they do is a full remake sm64, a bundle with sunshine and galaxy 1&2 and 3world deluxe

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A full sm64 remake in odyssey engine could easily be the big holiday title for Nintendo and one of the biggest releasees of the year, I think it would be stupid if they bundle just an upres with other two amazing games.
My guess and what I really hope they do is a full remake sm64, a bundle with sunshine and galaxy 1&2 and 3world deluxe

It isn't like their options are "remake Super Mario 64 from the ground up, or do an upres bundle of 3D Mario games." Both projects require different staff size, budget, and time.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I really much more interested in Galaxy duo and Mario 3D World than the other games in the series. I like greater focus on platforming rather than exploration side. I hope it's bundled especially since titles separately would seem excessive in a single short time frame.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
The real surprise is whether 3D Land is included in all this. Given the wait it should be included, but I'm not really expecting it.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I really much more interested in Galaxy duo and Mario 3D World than the other games in the series. I like greater focus on platforming rather than exploration side. I hope it's bundled especially since titles separately would seem excessive in a single short time frame.
3D World Deluxe will be a separate release no matter what, so you'll be out of luck with getting that and the Galaxy games in a bundle.

Naxat

Oct 29, 2017
It isn't like their options are "remake Super Mario 64 from the ground up, or do an upres bundle of 3D Mario games." Both projects require different staff size, budget, and time.
That's of course true and we don't really know what they are planning for the rest of the year and how the situation would be with covid, but what I think is that a sm64 remake would make a lot of sense to be their big holiday release. I can't think anything else that they could possible have ready until then of that caliber.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I love SM64 to death but some parts of it just would not hold up for modern audiences. Some of the star objectives are really opaque.

I always say that 64 needs a "sequel" in the vein of Link Between Worlds to LttP. Bring the same setting from castle and worlds "+more of course" but expand upon them with new concept and ideas

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always say that 64 needs a "sequel" in the vein of Link Between Worlds to LttP. Bring the same setting from castle and worlds "+more of course" but expand upon them with new concept and ideas

That sounds terrible. It sucked that link between worlds reused so much content from lttp, I have no idea why you would want that over brand new content.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds terrible. It sucked that link between worlds reused so much content from lttp, I have no idea why you would want that over brand new content.

it's a stylistic thing. it would be like if they made another game in the same style of super mario bros. 3 - which they kinda did with e-reader cards. it would be a way to make a new game with the same general design philosophy and limitations.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The real surprise is whether 3D Land is included in all this. Given the wait it should be included, but I'm not really expecting it.
That would be lovely. When I first heard about this leak, I imagined a trio of paired releases:
-Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine
-Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
-Super Mario 3D Land and World

...but if they're planning on bundling 64, Sunshine and Galaxy (+2?) in one collection, I'll take that option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.