• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was posted before, but found this on Instagram. Not sure if fan-art or real concept art.

"Concept art for the upcoming remaster of Yoshi's Island SNES on Switch announced by Nintendo for Mario's 35th anniversary"
M8GzPac.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-cAjwHqqMW/

*EDIT* Forgot that it's April 1st, so take with grain of salt. xD
Can you fucking imagine a Mario game looking like this? Good lord.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jan 3, 2018
Not sure if this was posted before, but found this on Instagram. Not sure if fan-art or real concept art.

"Concept art for the upcoming remaster of Yoshi's Island SNES on Switch announced by Nintendo for Mario's 35th anniversary"
M8GzPac.jpg

No way in hell they're changing the graphics on Yoshi's Island.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm always completely taken aback by how amazing the galaxy games hold up with nothing more than an upres. Seen it so many times at this point, but its still just amazing to me.
I used Dolphin VR a couple of years back to upres Wind Waker and play it in VR.

Literally looked like a game releasaed this year. Totally timeless visuals. The cel shading/cartoony style means that you just make the lines sharper and... voila. It's like a Ghibli movie or something.

In VR was staggering, too. Actually looking up at the islands, getting vertigo from heights, enemies feeling threatening and full of presence, characters becoming larger than life (literally - they were huge, like the size of inflatable parade characters or something).

Incredible experience.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm fairly certain they won't use the DS version as the base for whatever they do to Super Mario 64 for this release. It'd require way more work than simply going with the N64 version would.

What do I actually think they'll do? ... i'm not quite sure on that. It's hard to imagine a Super Mario 64 "remaster" that isn't closer to something like OoT/MM 3D
The best thing would be to use the Odyssey engine and just remodel everything. All the concept, layout, music, sound effects work is done, you just have to build it again in a modern engine. They can sell this thing for years and it will absolutely sell big on Switch so there is good RoI on a ground up remake. They even have the castle already modeled up from Odyssey. Galaxy can just get HD textures and a traditional control scheme for portable play. Sunshine seems like the biggest challenge I would think because Fludd really is unique to just that game (so the Odyssey engine isn't as easy to use), plus the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm mostly just unsure how you would play Galaxy 2 in handheld mode. Even Yoshi's tongue was pointer dependent... You could have to hold a button down to activate right stick aimer, but that's not anywhere near the elegance of the Wii pointer.
The Galaxy motion controls were all gimmicks that could easily be mapped or re-engineered to traditional controls.

91rHSprlnAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Head Shake - map to button
Spin - map to button
Aim/Tongue - map to right stick or gyro, or they could engineer a lock on

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I'm more excited for a traditional paper mario.

partners
Epic story
RPG
Cool characters
Chapters
Hopefully after each cheater play an interlude as Princess Peach or Bowser etc

I hope it's as good as TYD

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited for a traditional paper mario.

partners
Epic story
RPG
Cool characters
Chapters
Hopefully after each cheater play an interlude as Princess Peach or Bowser etc

I hope it's as good as TYD

What are you thinking setting wise?
It just occurred to me that Paper Mario has only been set in the Mushroom Kingdom once, with subsequent games going to different worlds because (in the case of SPM,SS,CS) the new gameplay mechanic demanded it. I think they'll probably go to a new world again for the new gimmick, but if they ever wanted to return to a new version of the Mushroom Kingdom it's probably been long enough.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing would be to use the Odyssey engine and just remodel everything. All the concept, layout, music, sound effects work is done, you just have to build it again in a modern engine. They can sell this thing for years and it will absolutely sell big on Switch so there is good RoI on a ground up remake. They even have the castle already modeled up from Odyssey. Galaxy can just get HD textures and a traditional control scheme for portable play. Sunshine seems like the biggest challenge I would think because Fludd really is unique to just that game (so the Odyssey engine isn't as easy to use), plus the 4:3 aspect ratio.
4:3 wouldn't be an issue.

The real issue with Sunshine on the Switch would be the lack of analog triggers and Gamecube's clicky buttons at the bottom of the triggers.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It just occurred to me that Paper Mario has only been set in the Mushroom Kingdom once, with subsequent games going to different worlds because (in the case of SPM,SS,CS) the new gameplay mechanic demanded it. I think they'll probably go to a new world again for the new gimmick, but if they ever wanted to return to a new version of the Mushroom Kingdom it's probably been long enough.

hmmmmmm I don't know but I cannot wait to see it. Maybe a bit of both Mario searching for 7 (insert items here) to save the world but one or two said Items is hiding in the castle and bowsers castle etc

as for partners I'd love mario's friends to travel together Luigi, peach, yoshi, toad, Toadette instead of a koopa and boo as a partner etc and have warrior and waluigi for comic relief. There is to many characters to pick from.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
hmmmmmm I don't know but I cannot wait to see it. Maybe a bit of both Mario searching for 7 (insert items here) to save the world but one or two said Items is hiding in the castle and bowsers castle etc

as for partners I'd love mario's friends to travel together Luigi, peach, yoshi, toad, Toadette instead of a koopa and boo as a partner etc and have warrior and waluigi for comic relief. There is to many characters to pick from.

I've thought about the whole using Luigi/Peach/Toad etc as partners thing (the closest we got was Super Paper Mario) and I'm kinda torn. On one hand, it would be cool to have them on an RPG adventure with Mario, but on the other hand, almost every partner in the first two Paper Mario games is a more interesting character than Peach/Toad/Toadette with more interesting gameplay potential. If they use a Toad, it should be a Unique Toad with his or her own backstory. A Kung Fu toad in-training would be way more interesting than Red Toad from Every Game. One of the things recent Paper Marios have missed out on is creating several new characters with their own stories to play through.

If they use certain established characters they might get limited by how that character is supposed to be portrayed.

Wario and Waluigi would be great antagonists though, since they actually have some great comedic potential.

drag00n18

Banned
Dec 7, 2018
I would love a Mario 3D compilation. I only ever completed Mario Galaxy and 3D World. Need to finally beat the rest.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Whishful thinking or trying for a realistic prediction? Neither version translates well to being rendered in HD. At all.

Mario 64 would benefit from some more careful work invested, similar to what was done for OoT 3D and Majora's Mask 3D. Very faithful to the original assets, updated geometry for some assets and just a hint of extra modern visual sparkle, like additional foliage. Those two games would look reasonably well rendered at high resolutions (Source: Citra gallery):

05-The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Ocarina%20of%20Time%203D.png
11-The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Majoras%20Mask%203D.jpg
To be honest, I'd hope this is the least Nintendo do with Mario 64. It really does need some love. I'd hope that they do a little work on Sunshine and Galaxy, too - the Galaxy games only really need an up-res and new lighting, with some textures touching up. Sunshine would need more work, really.

I was looking up the Citra shots of the 3D Zelda remasters the other day - I'd be happy playing those on Switch next year for a Zelda anniversary. If they look that good running through Citra, they could look really good on Switch with a little work.
I'm fairly certain they won't use the DS version as the base for whatever they do to Super Mario 64 for this release. It'd require way more work than simply going with the N64 version would.

What do I actually think they'll do? ... i'm not quite sure on that. It's hard to imagine a Super Mario 64 "remaster" that isn't closer to something like OoT/MM 3D
Agreed, as I'm saying above. I can see them building a graphical overhaul - new character models, textures, UI, lighting - over the original geometry, improving that where it makes sense to do so. Isn't that what was done for the recent Crash games? They used the original geometry as the base with a substantial graphical overhaul on top, creating new elements where they couldn't access the original versions. I'm not saying Nintendo's facelift for Mario 64 will be as drastic, but I'd expect a similar approach technically (rather than completely rebuilding the game).

They might be able to lift things from Odyssey to cut down on the amount of labour involved. If we had any inkling as to which developers were involved in this, then we could have a better idea of what to expect. Wind Waker HD was done by EAD in 6 months, with texture work outsourced to a contractor. My assumption is that EPD are producing this, but that the bulk of the work is being outsourced. If Nintendo have partnered with multiple external studios (and if they've perhaps got some of their own smaller teams, like NST and 1-Up handling aspects), then I think 64 at least will get a good overhaul, with less dramatic improvements on Sunshine and Galaxy.
So is Galaxy 2 confirmed?
Unfortunately not. It would be strange for it not to appear, but we'll have to wait and see.
Give me many Miyamoto stories when this all finally drops. I want to hear him talk about all the 3D Mario games. I'm sure he's involved moreso in all of these remasters
This would be great. I'd really be happy if there are some 'making of' and 'history' videos in this package.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

The real issue with Sunshine on the Switch would be the lack of analog triggers and Gamecube's clicky buttons at the bottom of the triggers.
Doesn't the official GC Smash controller have working analog triggers?
I have them and never noticed if they're analog or not.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Galaxy motion controls were all gimmicks that could easily be mapped or re-engineered to traditional controls.

91rHSprlnAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Head Shake - map to button
Spin - map to button
Aim/Tongue - map to right stick or gyro, or they could engineer a lock on

Ehh maybe. The gyro might work well enough to get close for the aiming for tongue and such. Still, it might feel really held back and not really a "definitive' edition if it clearly doesn't control as well.

Random thought: this Mario 3D All Stars could be so big that nintendo could try to package some wii remote like attachment with physical editions. Sounds incredibly unlikely, though.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically 3 times
snes_super_mario_all-stars_p_anjcy4.jpg

Then again with Mario World included.
ddbaq4q-46e83a01-df35-48f9-89e7-dc241650541d.png

And lastly with the Wii collection.

i recall getting the og super mario all stars package for my sixth birthday. Before that point i only had and played and beat super mario world (my first video game ever) so to me these werent re-releases, as much as they were brand new games.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I am especially excited to play 3D World. As one of many people who skipped the Wii U, it would honestly feel like a brand new game to me, so I wouldn't mind paying full price.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Can they even make a special joycon with analog triggers? Like, I don't expect them to do that at all, but is it physically possible to fit in whatever mechanism analog triggers needs into the shape of a joycon?

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I've thought about the whole using Luigi/Peach/Toad etc as partners thing (the closest we got was Super Paper Mario) and I'm kinda torn. On one hand, it would be cool to have them on an RPG adventure with Mario, but on the other hand, almost every partner in the first two Paper Mario games is a more interesting character than Peach/Toad/Toadette with more interesting gameplay potential. If they use a Toad, it should be a Unique Toad with his or her own backstory. A Kung Fu toad in-training would be way more interesting than Red Toad from Every Game. One of the things recent Paper Marios have missed out on is creating several new characters with their own stories to play through.

If they use certain established characters they might get limited by how that character is supposed to be portrayed.

Wario and Waluigi would be great antagonists though, since they actually have some great comedic potential.

whatever they do I hope it can live up to the first two paper Mario games I'm so happy it's returned to its RPG roots I didn't like the 3DS paper Mario and skipped the Wii U paper Mario.

day 1 I'll buy Nintendo and I hope other Nintendo fans support paper Mario going back to its roots to show Nintendo don't mess with perfection.

i did enjoy Wii paper Mario I did think it was a one off spin off but oh how wrong I was lol I have waited so long for this.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

M8GzPac.jpg

Does that even look like any scene in Yoshi's Island?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

They could possibly program in a 1 second delay on full trigger press so you could sort of feather or rapidly tap the trigger to get less throttle. No perfect solution though. The best part of Sunshine was the Fluddless underground areas anyways.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 and the castle in SMO made me dream of what a full SM64 remake could be like. Please, Nintendo.

BlueMagic

Jan 10, 2018
I honestly feel it would be crazy for Nintendo to create the collection and actually do work on the ports. I'm expecting widescreen MAYBE and basic control adaptation AT MOST. There is no way any other changes make it in, if it is happening as a 50/60 US$ collection.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I hope that these rumors are true! It seems so obvious to bring these classics to the Switch, especially as there appear to be some gaps in the release of new, first-party games. I'd love to experience a "traditional" Paper Mario. Admittedly, I've only played the version that came out on the Wii. I actually enjoyed what I played of that version, but never got around to finishing it. I also never beat Super Mario Sunshine, but would definitely tear through it if it gets ported.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017

Sub-Con from SMB2/Doki Doli Panic has been my Paper Mario fantasy scenario for a while now. You have a waking world/dream world mechanic, go extra-surreal with the environments, vaguely Arabian vibes with ragtime music, fucking Phanto and Birdo...

Status
Not open for further replies.