• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm glad you guys have never been so desperate or ill-informed that you thought commuting such a risky, low-reward crime was a good idea. I honestly mean that. I've never been there myself, but definitely had some "pick transportation, food or phone credit this week" situations when I was a uni student.

I grew up in a very poor family, and I've had times where I've had nothing. Last thing I'd do is steal something that someone else has saved their hard earned cash for.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad you guys have never been so desperate or ill-informed that you thought commuting such a risky, low-reward crime was a good idea. I honestly mean that. I've never been there myself, but definitely had some "pick transportation, food or phone credit this week" situations when I was a uni student.
While i agree wholeheatedly with the fact that Amazon workers are grossly underpaid and deserve better, particuarly as i myself have been there, to speculate as to their intention to swap out and steal the PS5 to make some quick money because they have been underpaid is entirely premature. We don't know their intention or cicrumstance whatsoever. While they possibly stole the PS5's due to a lack of income, they also may have stolen it for their own use or even to make money when they may not need it and greed was at play.

I didn't blame anyone, calm down.

Really because in your post you do a great job of blaming the poster for ordering one from Amazon:

Perhaps you should have waited a few more weeks/months. You didn't *need* to have a PS5 day one. I'm not saying you're the one responsible for what they did to you. But it's only half a surprise some people will indeed get scammed.

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
Perhaps you should have waited a few more weeks/months. You didn't *need* to have a PS5 day one. I'm not saying you're the one responsible for what they did to you. But it's only half a surprise some people will indeed get scammed.
What an absolutely moronic thing to say. Nicely done.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
How stupid of a driver do you have to be to steal a PS5 like this? Like it's so easy to find the culprit. Makes me think it's not the driver.

or maybe that's what they want me to think....

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
How stupid of a driver do you have to be to steal a PS5 like this? Like it's so easy to find the culprit. Makes me think it's not the driver.

or maybe that's what they want me to think....

I reckon it's probably easier pulling up and stealing it in a van by yourself than it is in an Amazon warehouse with the amount of people, cameras, and working to tight deadlines.

I swear Amazon time your toilet breaks don't they?!

On top of that there's then the doubt that it could have been stolen before the driver had contact with the package which makes accusations far harder.

I mean how many people on average have contact with a typical parcel from picking to dispatch and delivery?

It's almost too easy for the driver to do it...

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I reckon it's probably easier pulling up and stealing it in a van by yourself than it is in an Amazon warehouse.

On top of that there's then the doubt that it could have been stolen before the driver had contact with the package. It's almost too easy....
Amazon needs to put a dash cam in these cars. The ones with a camera pointed inwards as well. Or at least one in the cargo area.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand, why these stupid people risk their jobs for a fcking $500 toy? They're done if caught. Worth it?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, why these stupid people risk their jobs for a fcking $500 toy? They're done if caught. Worth it?

humanity doesn't always operate on logic

people do stupid shit all the time. That's why the whole "I would never put my job at risk" line is nothing more than lip service.

Even if that statement was true, there are no shortage of people who do stupid shit because they can that WOULD do that thing that makes no sense.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
They WILL be done as well. No way these packages aren't scanned and audited all the way to the door.
These galaxy brains either want one for themselves or have seen they're selling for silly prices and want some of the action.. without realising, their freedom / wages for the coming months are the forfeit.

The inability of people to delay their gratification and earn their new toy themselves is absolutely disgusting.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It really sucks this has happened to multiple people. It's entirely possible it's not the driver though, oftentimes the Amazon distribution centers are very low security and almost haphazardly put together compared to the warehouses and if you have the proper access I believe you can look up what's inside a package. So yeah, considering the boxes have mismatched tape I'd guess the swap is happening at one of the distribution centers after it's left the warehouse but before it's put on a truck for delivery. Plus it would be harder to track who was doing it that way vs being very easy to catch the driver.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
You guys know you can literally sign up on an app to become an Amazon delivery person? No need to work for a logistics company.
You watch a few safety videos, confirm a time slot to work then head off to your nearest depot to pick up your deliveries.
Once you have your deliveries you follow the app (kinda like google maps) and it will take you from delivery destination to the next.
Anyone could sign up, then steal few PS5s and vanish

Nov 4, 2017
I grew up in a very poor family, and I've had times where I've had nothing. Last thing I'd do is steal something that someone else has saved their hard earned cash for.
Yeah? I'd do almost anything to provide for my daughter if I had to.

While i agree wholeheatedly with the fact that Amazon workers are grossly underpaid and deserve better, particuarly as i myself have been there, to speculate as to their intention to swap out and steal the PS5 to make some quick money because they have been underpaid is entirely premature. We don't know their intention or cicrumstance whatsoever. While they possibly stole the PS5's due to a lack of income, they also may have stolen it for their own use or even to make money when they may not need it and greed was at play.
Most petty theft is out of desperation or impulse. Bond villains aren't out there plotting to steal a console mid-delivery to play it in their secret lair or flip it on the black market for a few quid.

It sucks for the people whose consoles got stolen. I'm just saying that the supply chain workers who would do this aren't the biggest bad guy in this picture. The consoles will get replaced (eventually), the thieves will get caught, and the capitalists will get to continue their theft unhindered.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
They're literally the biggest retailer in the world, not some guy selling them out the back of a van. What reason would I have to expect this?
They grossly undervalue and underpay their deliverers, where here in the US at least UPS and Fedex are well-compensated and not abused

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

Most petty theft is out of desperation or impulse. Bond villains aren't out there plotting to steal a console mid-delivery to play it in their secret lair or flip it on the black market for a few quid.

It sucks for the people whose consoles got stolen. I'm just saying that the supply chain workers who would do this aren't the biggest bad guy in this picture. The consoles will get replaced (eventually), the thieves will get caught, and the capitalists will get to continue their theft unhindered.
Huh? You think these delivery workers are potentially stealing PS5s to buy food for their daughters or something? Come on, dude.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
One thing I would say is if your package had prime tape on the top, and t would be nearly impossible to remove it without traces like in the OP. It may have legitimately been an Amazon issue rather than the driver.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

You really think they've stolen this particular item to feed their starving family? Don't be so naive. I work in retail, and I'm telling you now that most theft has nothing to do with impulse or desperation.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My PS5 amazon UK Parcel what I sent to my Brother had a Password that needed to be given or they wouldnt accept the order. Never seen that before.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh cool, so we victim blaming now. Very cool.

jar155

Dec 5, 2017
Launches are absolutely the worst part of a console cycle, but they're also the most exciting. I hate how low the emotional rollercoaster can roll for some people.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Back when the Colecovision was new and consoles were put in boxes on unsecured shelves in department stores, a classmate got a Colecovision as a gift, got it home, and inside the box and packaging were two bricks wrapped in a dirty undershirt.

I have to applaud someone lugging the bricks around. I mean that's some dedication to the cause right there.

Nov 4, 2017
Huh? You think these delivery workers are potentially stealing PS5s to buy food for their daughters or something? Come on, dude.
You really think they've stolen this particular item to feed their starving family? Don't be so naive. I work in retail, and I'm telling you now that most theft has nothing to do with impulse or desperation.
Ah yes, because all thieves are just greedy. Sure guys, I'm the one who's naive.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, really sucks to have your console launch ruined like this. Thankfully my Amazon UK arrived as expected with no trouble, as did my friend's. I have to think Amazon shifted a vast number of the things today, and such events (while obviously one is too many!) are a very small percentage.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get some people. They not really done. They'd walk into another courier job. Amazon will just refund and not accept liability. They won't press criminal charges against the driver because Amazon don't want the press that they hire criminals as drivers. These drivers will just walk into another job with Hermes or Yodel.

Royal Mail and DPD at least do background checks.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So is this a new thing? I would assume a lot of packages get mixed up, forgotten, etc at Amazon due to just the sheer volume. You also have min waged workers not caring cause it's min wage.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
If it can be proven they've been nicking high value items it's prison and a criminal record after Christmas not just no job. Clearly blame them (and the company who hired them).
You think the 20 year old temp workers going from shitty zero hour job to zero hour job are going to think that much about it. If the jobs were long term or worth keeping they obviously wouldn't risk it over a £450 console.

When I spoke to Amazon at lunchtime after the first failed delivery they told me the driver was new on the route, and asked if they could give them my number to call on redelivery. Glad this piece of shit's also got my phone number now too...
It's shit but hopefully Amazon give you a nice bit of compensation.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
9BiGE6i.png
Holy shit ded

Oct 29, 2017
I reckon it was mainly Amazon flex drivers as you can easily sign up to just deliver Amazon packages here in the UK without much effort.

My Amazon ps5 was delivered by Hermes (yes I know 😒) and the person who turned up was in some rusty looking car must be personal car and also looking like someone who may do something exactly like that (forgiving me for judging lol)

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
You think the 20 year old temp workers going from shitty zero hour job to zero hour job are going to think that much about it. If the jobs were long term or worth keeping they obviously wouldn't risk it over a £450 console.

It's shit but hopefully Amazon give you a nice bit of compensation.

If the UK laws are like the US, they're looking at more than losing their job once they're caught.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
After looking more into this, it's actually not uncommon for Amazon to accidentally ship the wrong item. Other brand tape isn't uncommon either, and sometimes another person just retapes it up if it looks open or the package wasn't sealed right. Also in the OP's photos, the box doesn't appear to have any tape removal damage which is weird since Amazon tape easily rips off a layer of box when opening. Either the thief was good at that or it's just a case of using a different type of tape.

In Canada, it's not uncommon to see envelopes or packaged damaged to where they send it to you in a plastic baggy that says something like, "shit, it got damaged in transit, our bad". There's also weirdly applied tape as if someone just lathered it on cause it was open or whatever when it was being processed.

Also delivery drivers can screw up. Maybe they just thought the person wasn't home and left. Or just brain farted. Could be that this person was just tired AF. Went to the location, sat for a second, and said, "delivered" or whatever cause they didn't want to spend their night doing this stuff.

I don't doubt there are thefts at Amazon, but I wouldn't necessarily attribute PS5s not arrive as theft just yet cause Amazon doesn't have a history of 100% accuracy.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If the UK laws are like the US, they're looking at more than losing their job once they're caught.
A PS5 is under the minimum amount to do any real time for, at least where I live. They'd get processed, bail out, and sent on their way until they have a court appearance.

Of course they'd lose their job because of the fact that'd be stealing from their employer. But if it's randos hijacking shit off of trucks, then they could get booked, bail out, and still make it into work the next day if all goes well for them.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I'm curious can Amazon drivers see what item (is in the box) that they are delivering? or they just guessing by the weight of package that its a PS5?

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Oh wow this is weird as my Amazon delivery for my PS5 was weird too. In the morning had a notification to say it was 7 stops away but then it wasn't showing up on the map. Then in the afternoon I went to the kitchen and saw a van at the end of my drive so thought great it's finally arrived. Went to the door and waited for a minute or two and then the van reversed up my drive and started to drive off. The driver saw me at the door so slowed down and shouted "left it in front of your car" and drove off.

I went outside and sure enough there it was just sat there on the drive for anyone walking passed to grab. No note through the door, no knocking or anything, I know they didn't knock as I have a German Shepherd and anyone touch the door sets him off barking so they definitely didn't knock.

Last week with my XSX they did something similar and the lady said she couldn't find my box on the van so drove off. After talking with customer support I checked the tracking to see where she was so drive over and got her to check the van again and this time she found it so that was weird too.

Are all your deliveries usually end up in the same spot? if not, then driver probably drops it there accessible for a person following him to scoop up the package.....since now it will be your responsibility to get it straighten out with Amazon and not the delivery driver.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017

Perhaps you should pull your head out of your arse before posting dumb shit.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
meh, never have had them do me wrong. They are the reason I got my PS5, everybody else failed and their websites are shit compared to amazon.
I have to agree. I've been using Amazon regularly since 2000. Almost never had a problem. And when I do, it is sorted out quickly and without question. Saying "Never ever use Amazon!" seems a little histrionic..While some people undoubtedly have bad experiences, these are likely unfortunate edge cases. Confidence in a retailer is key to success, and there's a reason that Amazon is the second biggest retailer in the world. Still, I feel for those who have been scammed.