• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
So after a failed lunchtime delivery and a quick chat with support, my Amazon order swung back around to be delivered around 10pm.
Opened the box to this pleasant surprise, with mismatched unbranded tape:

lcKz9iC.jpg

wPre1V0.jpg

Phoned them and due to get an email response within 24 hours, though I'm not feeling particularly confident they'll have the stock to quickly replace...

Hopped on Twitter and saw these:

If you've ordered from Amazon UK and are yet to get your console, be wary!

EDIT: Made my own tweet about it, if people wouldn't mind signal boosting:

Last edited:

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Looks like this launch is going to be a good test of courier companies' security. Wonder how many of these thieves will get caught given how brazen some of them have been

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
is it me or does Amazon in the UK seem to hire some shady ass people? I always hear news like this happening often in the UK.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Really hope the delivery drivers get caught. Like I fully understand its not a great job but to steal something on someone elses so brazenly is just awful. And like the chances of you getting away with it are like 0 I assume? Risk your job during a pandemic for a playstation.

Oct 29, 2017
Really hope the delivery drivers get caught. Like I fully understand its not a great job but to steal something on someone elses so brazenly is just awful. And like the chances of you getting away with it are like 0 I assume? Risk your job during a pandemic for a playstation.

Selfishness and stupidity have been all the rage this year.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
is it me or does Amazon in the UK seem to hire some shady ass people? I always hear news like this happening often in the UK.

I've had plenty of bad experiences with their delivery people in the US, as well. Amazon doesn't care about delivering quality service, they're happy to just eat the losses they incur.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I ordered an XSX with Amazon, it got "delivered". I used 65.00 promotional credit I had on my account, and they refunded everything but the promotional credit. Tried fighting with chat, email and Twitter. They are not receptive at all.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching the live tracker and waited outside my door when it said 4 stops away. I video recorded the van park up making sure to get the plate and the driver. Luckily I got mine no issues.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
OMG. I hope they catch these thieving bastards or hold Amazon accountable over there. I would be livid if that happened to me.

Oct 27, 2017
2020 should be the start of a logistics overhaul. I wonder how many problems people experience with deliveries - careless deliveries, parcels just left about without proper attempts to deliver - would be alleviated if drivers were paid better and under less time pressure.

That said, there's obviously no excuse for replacing a PS5 with cat chunks. Fuck me.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I will never stop saying it: NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM AMAZON. NOT JUST CONSOLES AND/OR VIDEO GAMES. NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM AMAZON.

OP
OP
Kyonashi

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
So how do they know which packages are PS5s? I assume they're just opening everything in the truck?

I was wondering about this too. If the drivers are aware its launch day and have multiple relatively heavy parcels around the same size maybe they can intuit what they are? The unbranded sellotape on my box is a massive red flag imo, suggests someone's opened it up and resealed.

I will never stop saying it: NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM AMAZON. NOT JUST CONSOLES AND/OR VIDEO GAMES. NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM AMAZON.

They were my last resort with PS5 pre-orders for a reason.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Oh wow this is weird as my Amazon delivery for my PS5 was weird too. In the morning had a notification to say it was 7 stops away but then it wasn't showing up on the map. Then in the afternoon I went to the kitchen and saw a van at the end of my drive so thought great it's finally arrived. Went to the door and waited for a minute or two and then the van reversed up my drive and started to drive off. The driver saw me at the door so slowed down and shouted "left it in front of your car" and drove off.

I went outside and sure enough there it was just sat there on the drive for anyone walking passed to grab. No note through the door, no knocking or anything, I know they didn't knock as I have a German Shepherd and anyone touch the door sets him off barking so they definitely didn't knock.

Last week with my XSX they did something similar and the lady said she couldn't find my box on the van so drove off. After talking with customer support I checked the tracking to see where she was so drive over and got her to check the van again and this time she found it so that was weird too.

Odc

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is still out for delivery.....

Tracked them multiple times on my road throughout the day too.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
What if it's not the driver? Maybe it's the Amazon warehouse workers.

Earlier in the year I had pre-ordered a highly coveted Baby Yoda from Amazon. When I got it it was some velcro straps. I was pissed. They said they had no more. They ended up refunding me but that wasn't the point.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah - they went from being pretty awesome years ago to being a cheap bargain bin. Even navigating the website is a pain in the ass.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inflammatory Commentary
They were my last resort with PS5 pre-orders for a reason.
Perhaps you should have waited a few more weeks/months. You didn't *need* to have a PS5 day one. I'm not saying you're the one responsible for what they did to you. But it's only half a surprise some people will indeed get scammed.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Oh wow this is weird as my Amazon delivery for my PS5 was weird too. In the morning had a notification to say it was 7 stops away but then it wasn't showing up on the map. Then in the afternoon I went to the kitchen and saw a van at the end of my drive so thought great it's finally arrived. Went to the door and waited for a minute or two and then the van reversed up my drive and started to drive off. The driver saw me at the door so slowed down and shouted "left it in front of your car" and drove off.

I went outside and sure enough there it was just sat there on the drive for anyone walking passed to grab. No note through the door, no knocking or anything, I know they didn't knock as I have a German Shepherd and anyone touch the door sets him off barking so they definitely didn't knock.

Last week with my XSX they did something similar and the lady said she couldn't find my box on the van so drove off. After talking with customer support I checked the tracking to see where she was so drive over and got her to check the van again and this time she found it so that was weird too.
Yeah that reeks of them trying to leave your PS5 out so someone they know can swing by and grab it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I think a lot of Amazon's drivers at the moment are just doing it as a temp job during the pandemic. I've had people delivering stuff I've ordered out of their car and all sorts.

If you're a temp driver and you've got a few thousands pounds worth of console in your van (and you're a shithead), you're probably weighing up whether its worth your job not to just nick it. It sucks for the people impacted, cos its not like Amazon can just magic up a replacement out of thin air. The driver can be fired or whatever, but people are still left without the systems they paid for.

OP
OP
Kyonashi

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Perhaps you should have waited a few more weeks/months. You didn't *need* to have a PS5 day one. I'm not saying you're the one responsible for what they did to you. But it's only half a surprise some people will indeed get scammed.

They're literally the biggest retailer in the world, not some guy selling them out the back of a van. What reason would I have to expect this?

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, very shifty, scruffy dirty van drivers in recent times. I guess with the pandemic and counting down to Christmas they've just employed many more in a hurry. Doesn't feel reputable anymore

It's actually put me off ordering again.