• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
As a doctor….every hospital has a lot of security. More evidence security doesn't change this, arming doctors doesn't change this, only banning guns will.
IT system engineer at a hospital system… We once had a shooter situation at the ED when someone came to finish what they started. Not even a big town. Shit is awful.

They're gonna say physicians and nursing staff will have to strap up next.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I seriously wonder: how do gun lunatics react when it's their kid or other relative or loved one who gets mowed down, especially when it's like their kid who got their head blown apart by an AR? Do they grieve but then ultimately say that's just the cost of freedom? If you asked them if they could go back and single handedly had the power to pass gun regulations, would they be defiant and say no? I guess they just repeat to themselves all the lies about how the problem is too many doors and not enough "hardened" schools and all the rest of that bullshit. Fucking lunatics.

Also, where the fuck are the police orgs? Why aren't they protesting for more gun laws? Is it because they're also gun lunatics, willing to take the odds they won't end up having to respond to a mass shooting in their jurisdiction so unwilling to have anything affect their ability to buy 10 assault rifles for personal use?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously wonder: how do gun lunatics react when it's their kid or other relative or loved one who gets mowed down, especially when it's like their kid who got their head blown apart by an AR? Do they grieve but then ultimately say that's just the cost of freedom? If you asked them if they could go back and single handedly had the power to pass gun regulations, would they be defiant and say no? I guess they just repeat to themselves all the lies about how the problem is too many doors and not enough "hardened" schools and all the rest of that bullshit. Fucking lunatics.

Also, where the fuck are the police orgs? Why aren't they protesting for more gun laws? Is it because they're also gun lunatics, willing to take the odds they won't end up having to respond to a mass shooting in their jurisdiction so unwilling to have anything affect their ability to buy 10 assault rifles for personal use?

Yeah, Republicans are a death cult at this point. You see it with guns and you saw it with COVID, what makes dealing w/ them very difficult is that they no longer care if what they do causes their own death, I don't think America has ever dealt with that from a major political party. Once a group of people don't care if they die, their position on everything will be very extreme and basically impossible to negotiate with.

Police orgs love it because it makes their services that much more important. More shootings = more support for more police forces to deal w/ shootings, they don't give a shit

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
One of my best friends works less than a mile from where this happened. I am so very thankful he is ok. Fuck this country.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

How do covid deniers within this death cult act when their loved ones die of covid? They'll never challenge their preconceived notions. They'll just blame something else, regardless of the logic leap required.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017

I'd imagine it'd be something like "wouldn't have happened if /I/ were there with /my/ gun." Or "they had a 'no guns' sign so the gunman knew they could get away with it."

We're coming up on the five year anniversary where Republicans were shot at, and Stevie Scalise was shot, didn't even bat an eye saying:
getting shot made my gun rights support 'as ardent as ever'

Some police care about it, and they pop up from time to time but their platform is short lived as they besieged from multiple sides. Others feel protected by their guns and/or rely on them for justification for brutality and harassment.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Police orgs did use to be way more pro-gun control. But 2nd-amendment radicalism has become way more prevalent among conservative white men since the 90s, and conservative white men arr the main cop demo, so gun-oriented right-wing white guy identity politics eventually outweighed it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is this is a perpetual motion machine. The answer to gun is gun. The answer to more guns is more guns in the hands of nebulous good guys. Guns failed? Make better good guys.

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
qt91x.jpg

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
As a doctor….every hospital has a lot of security. More evidence security doesn't change this, arming doctors doesn't change this, only banning guns will.
I can't imagine a doctor with a gun. Shoots suspect then does cpr only to shot them again.
If the line is give more doctors guns then we are so far gone just shut the country down

Oct 28, 2017

Seconding this. I work in an urban Emergency Room and I cannot help but feel like it's one of the most vulnerable places in the world to mass shootings. So much of the stuff that makes a hospital ED well designed makes it terrible in the event of an active shooter.

Single/very few points of entrance and exit to discourage demented patients from wandering out makes it similarly hard to escape if a shooter manages to get in. Ambulance bays usually bypass security and have rapid access to trauma bays and hence the center of the ED. Packed waiting rooms that are usually open to street access. Packed patient care areas. Security pulled in a million directions. AFAIK there hasn't been a Columbine scale mass-shooting yet in a US hospital but I have no doubt that at this rate it's only a matter of time before one does happen.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Arming school teachers/doctors/nurses is a red herring. It's a deflection and hence shouldn't be given any oxygen. Like, how would you prevent the nightclub shooting in Orlando, the amc theater shooting in Colorado or any other public meeting place shooting.

NRA is a terrorist organization, plain and simple. If I were Biden I would add NRA to terrorism sponsors list. Fuck anyone who says otherwise. Arrest these terrorist motherfuckers and throw them in prison.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
If I were Biden I would add NRA to terrorism sponsors list. Fuck anyone who says otherwise. Arrest these terrorist motherfuckers and throw them in prison.
The NRA is just a lobby. The real criminals are the 99%* of GOP congresspeople who won't do the right, selfless thing, and endanger their careers to save actual american lives.

*Please let me know if I'm being too harsh and that number is "only" 98%.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

Until the rich elite feel threatened, the cop orgs will keep the status quo.

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
The NRA is just a lobby. The real criminals are the 99%* of GOP congresspeople who won't do the right, selfless thing, and endanger their careers to save actual american lives.

*Please let me know if I'm being too harsh and that number is "only" 98%.
I think you're being too lenient, and the number is only 100%

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
A hospital? Fucking hell.

What the fuck, this is depressing knowing that no matter his bad it gets nothing will be done, just more meaningless thoughts and prayers and blameshifting by the Republicans and NRA.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. Biden ain't winning anyway. Make an executive order outlawing all AR15s, require mandatory background checks, 10- day waiting list, no carry and conceal, and require any gun owner to take an insurance policy out for every bullet they buy.

Let the courts fall where they may.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
Something especially blood curdling about a hospital being targeted. Heaven help us if these guys start coordinating.

I'll get the school, you get hospital, etc. Just shut down a community entirely. No need to target a police station, as we've established their horrifying incompetence.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Shit. Biden ain't winning anyway. Make an executive order outlawing all AR15s, require mandatory background checks, 10- day waiting list, no carry and conceal, and require any gun owner to take an insurance policy out for every bullet they buy.

Let the courts fall where they may.

This wouldn't even get out of the gate. He doesn't have the power to do that so there will be an injunction placed immediately then it will be overturned.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point the GOP are scared of their supporters. If they try to be in support of limiting guns then they are afraid that one of those gun nuts will come after them.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It really is amazing how powerful one special interest group can be.

Within a little over 2 decades the NRA has basically upended 200 years of legal precedent and cultural understanding of gun rights and helped usher in a basically insurmountable multi-front attack on any attempts to fix it through capturing an entire political party, the judicial branch, and essentially resetting the default narrative on guns in the larger culture

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't take the fight to the gun lobby because it literally would do nothing.

It would likely make the Dems look even more ineffectual to folks.
Yep. Just like actually doing nothing accomplishes then same thing. We've been doing nothing for over a decade now and you see where this has gotten us? How about trying to something, anything.

The EOs should be a constant barrage on the entire gun industry until every single nickel they have is tied up in the court system. Every ounce of their energy is going to fighting off attacks on their members. Make them work and make them look like fools.

Or we can just stay mad on our couch and wait for the next shooting to make us even angrier.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
i cant see change until people finally stop looking at 2A as a divine mandate and instead for what it really is. An amendment to a document that's literally designed to be changed. Also overturn citizen's united. a prerequisite to do literally anything in the US. dark money will stop all change big or small regardless of voters.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Yep. Just like actually doing nothing accomplishes then same thing. We've been doing nothing for over a decade now and you see where this has gotten us? How about trying to something, anything.

The EOs should be a constant barrage on the entire gun industry until every single nickel they have is tied up in the court system. Every ounce of their energy is going to fighting off attacks on their members. Make them work and make them look like fools.

Or we can just stay mad on our couch and wait for the next shooting to make us even angrier.

Congress has to do something about it. They are the only ones with power to do anything. The thing is that it's not actually doing anything to write the EOs. It will have no effect.

It costs very little to get an injunction until it's struck down, which it would be very quickly. It's not even work to do so. Not only that, The gun industry wouldn't be the only folks who could sue to stop it. I would assume you would want the government to defend the EOs in court so that will cost the government money as well.

There's literally nothing that can be done until Congress does something. And even then, with this SCOTUS, it still could be struck down.

Last edited:

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Something especially blood curdling about a hospital being targeted. Heaven help us if these guys start coordinating.

I'll get the school, you get hospital, etc. Just shut down a community entirely. No need to target a police station, as we've established their horrifying incompetence.
It's the thing that's been running in the back of my mind. How long before we get groups taking out multiple spots?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It really is amazing how powerful one special interest group can be.

Within a little over 2 decades the NRA has basically upended 200 years of legal precedent and cultural understanding of gun rights and helped usher in a basically insurmountable multi-front attack on any attempts to fix it through capturing an entire political party, the judicial branch, and essentially resetting the default narrative on guns in the larger culture
I think it's just one arm of the whole Right Wing Christofascist Superstructure

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
According to police, looks like the shooter was a patient who became frustrated with his doctor, and went into the hospital to shoot him....

May 14, 2021
According to police, looks like the shooter was a patient who became frustrated with his doctor, and went into the hospital to shoot him....
"Tulsa Police called me and verified that it's my uncle," Louis' niece texted early Thursday morning. "We are so distraught." She asked not to be named in the story, citing the "heinous" nature of the crime. "I don't even want to be associated," she told The Daily Beast, emphasizing that the family does not condone violence of any kind.

"We are aware that he has been experiencing back pain for a long time but [there is] no reason for this senseless act," she said. "We are a Christian-based family. We have never experienced this before."

Dr. Preston Phillips, an orthopedic surgeon who performed back surgery on Louis last month, was shot and killed in the attack, Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin said at a press conference Thursday. Louis was released from the hospital on May 24, but continued to complain that he was in pain, according to Franklin.
So sad.