• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Regarding Federation Force, I clearly remember that, in the golden age of Metroid releases (00s), people clearly expressed interest in a Federation game. It was a time when there was a steady flow of Metroid games, so people didn't mind a spin-off.

And if I am not mistaken FF, or the game it originally was, was slated to be released in later DS years or early 3DS. But, for some reason or another, got postponed and actual development didn't took on until the later years of 3DS and missed the timeframe.

Honestly, I would rather have Hunters 2 on 3DS. And yes, the chibi artyle was a horrible decision. It may covey more information on screen than Hunters, but, as far as the Metroid series is concerned, presentation may matter more in this case.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
When Federation Force was revealed they didn't put Next Level Games logo first. So no it's not a guarantee. They didn't reveal Good Feels logo for Yoshi. They didn't reveal Next Levels Logo for Luigi's Mansion 3. It's not a guarantee.
I think it's because those studios only do games for Nintendo. When it's a colab with a third party, especially a big one such as PlatinumGames or BandaiNamco, they tend to show the logo. The third party wants to be acknoledged as the dev, and Nintendo is proud to have this third party doing a first party game for them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's because those studios only do games for Nintendo. When it's a colab with a third party, especially a big one such as PlatinumGames or BandaiNamco, they tend to show the logo. The third party wants to be acknoledged as the dev, and Nintendo is proud to have this third party doing a first party game for them.
This is a good response that makes sense. I just wanted to highlight Nintendo doesn't always do it and technically Next Level Games and Good Feel are third party devs. Lots of Nintendo developers are third party.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Are you guys expecting Prime 4 to have the same "feeling" of past games in the original trilogy, since we're not dealing with Retro's engine anymore?

It's also my biggest concern with this game.
Honestly, not sure. I hope so, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they take the chance to make the artstyle more palatable for general audiences.

It is not in Unreal Engine.

The only Nintendo game that uses UE4 for now is Yoshi
Ah, alright then. Thanks for the info.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you sure? I'd argue the Metroid IP was the cause of many of these issues, such as the shoehorned "Metroid" elements added to make it more "Metroid", even when they didn't fit at all.

These elements were added after the fact, meaning they cost development time that could have been spent on polishing, balancing, and realizing that a lot of the coop elements had poor balancing for a "solo" run, turning the latter into a slog.

Monster Hunter works super well on the 3DS in coop, so the hardware isn't it. It's either the IP, or basic design issues, and I feel the IP is the most likely culprit. Post-fact changes are usually not a recipe for success.

I don't know where you got the idea that the IP was attached to the game after the fact. Tanabe has been talking about a game about the Galactic Federation for years.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys expecting Prime 4 to have the same "feeling" of past games in the original trilogy, since we're not dealing with Retro's engine anymore?

By far my biggest concern is whether or not Bandai Namco can capture Retro's brilliance. Retro's artistry and vision for the Prime series was incredibly distinct, from the tones of textures to the layouts of locations, all three games ooze a style that is distinctly "Metroid Prime". It'd be a damn shame if Bandai Namco weren't able to capture this, or chose to change it.

But I guess that's the worry whenever a new developer takes on the duty of continuing an existing series. New artists will naturally bring across their own approach.

Oct 25, 2017
By far my biggest concern is whether or not Bandai Namco can capture Retro's brilliance. Retro's artistry and vision for the Prime series was incredibly distinct, from the tones of textures to the layouts of locations, all three games ooze a style that is distinctly "Metroid Prime". It'd be a damn shame if Bandai Namco weren't able to capture this, or chose to change it.

But I guess that's the worry whenever a new developer takes on the duty of continuing an existing series. New artists will naturally bring across their own approach.
See Retro's DK.

A lot loved the look.

A lot cried foul.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Agreed. From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to do both.
Imma throw my hopes here, before Nintendo Nintendo's us:
Room turns black, in the projector there's an image of one of the game's environments, reminiscent of MP1's Tallon Surface. The camera is panning through the environment, it's raining, a familiar tune starts playing while the camera pans, until it enters through a crack into the dark and creepy belly of a crashed spaceship. The music becomes more onerous, sparks of failed electrical systems fly and light the darkness, suddenly a Metroid enters in view in a jumpscare, cut to black.
Cut to first person, gameplay view, Smaus walks around the same environment, transitions to a montage of different scenes with more upbeat music, OR to a real time gameplay demo.
After the trailer-demo ends, release date and title are shown. Late 2019.
Geoff and Reggie come on stage. They ask the audience, how are you gonna wait a whole year?
BAM Metroid Prime Trilogy, coming out in early 2019, show montage trailer.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching the Other M trailer again and the "Remember me?" moment must be one of the most fucked up moments in the history of trailers.

You can see every single person in this world saying "nope".

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me.

Would people be willing to give up 60fps for Metroid to look the best it can?

MP4 will loose either way.

If its 60FPS some people will fill threads with post say that it looks like crap and that Wolfenstein or Doom looks better.

If its 30 FPS some other people will fill threads with posts that it plays like crap.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
alright so metroid prime 4 is dope and all, but what are the odds we get retro's next game announced as well

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me.

"The best it can" is incredibly subjective. I'd argue that 60fps is a must for a Metroid Prime game and one of the many reasons why the games are so immersive and still hold up to this day in the first place. I've said it before but I'd accept a more stylized approach if it means they can keep 60fps. Even the original games didn't have an entirely realistic artstyle.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want Metroid Prime 4 to be closer to the realistic art style. We don't get that from Nintendo. Can we please allow one series to do that? Other Metroid games are more stylized and it's fine, but I don't want MP4 to change much.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I don't know where you got the idea that the IP was attached to the game after the fact. Tanabe has been talking about a game about the Galactic Federation for years.

I thought it was originally a different game, much like Star Fox Adventure. Might be wrong though!

Sure. 30 fps, lower resolution, none of these matter, as long as it's a god game. Dark Souls "only" has 30 fps and runs perfectly well, and I can still play games with literal 12 fps.

Good games are good regardless of arbitrary frame numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.