• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Federation Force had Sylux we should be expecting him in MP4. Tanabe talked about wanting him in future games and Federation Force was 2016. Probably the same time MP4 started development.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
I wonder if they'll even bother with the sub header.

As for Ridley, I'm not super sure him or Silux will play very substantial roles.

I've got the feeling after Mario Odyssey, and especially Zelda BotW that Prime 4 is going to be a soft reboot for the series.

Honestly it would be better to do away with a bunch of the sillier stuff weighing the narrative down, and take a new approach to story telling.

Metroid has always been strongly influenced by Alien, and after the amazing Alien Isolation I've found myself being curious if Nintendo would make the scope of the game smaller, the narrative more focused, mature, and possibly embrace the tones of horror that have slowly slipped away from the series.

Long story short, I've got a feeling this isn't going to be your big brother's Metroid Prime. So don't get your hopes too high to see a direct continuation of stuff from MP3. As I'm guessing we are going to be seeing something totally different this time around.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. Fucking tread soft as shit on my dreams Booga!! ;)

Oct 25, 2017
All I want are good sized worlds(not open) and lots of exploration and secrets.

The exploration and secrets in Other M were like My First Metroid.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
what'll be the final name?

1) Metroid Prime 4
2) Metroid Prime 4: Evolution
3) Metroid Prime Eternal
4) Metroid Prime for Nintendo Switch
5) Metroid Prime 4: Federation Force 2

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect much much bigger areas on one planet. Metroid Prime had like 5 explorable locations. We probably get 5-6 again.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
This was not even 3 years ago. You realize Kensuke Tanabe is leading the Prime 4 project and Sylux is his love child?
That link was 2015, it's 2019 in a few weeks. So it was over 3 years ago.

And I'm sure back then he had big plans for sylux, but that was when they probably thought they'd be developing internally, and when they thought people would actually like Federation Force.

I just can't see them leaning on that character. It's relevance has long past and if they are doing a semi-arid franchise reboot, you'd better believe they'll be trimming the fat.

Though they may reimagine sylux and make his design not horrible and give him an actual story and purpose. Who knows. I just wouldn't take 4 year old comments as an indication of what a whole new team is currently doing. That is a heck of a stretch.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If Federation Force had Sylux we should be expecting him in MP4. Tanabe talked about wanting him in future games and Federation Force was 2016. Probably the same time MP4 started development.

While it's a possibility, it also seems hard to believe that Nintendo wouldn't scrap anything that came in contact with Federation Force. Anything that requires knowledge of a game that the fanbase, and Nintendo fans at large, hated seems like a bad idea.

Personally I don't care to much as long as it's not a another Dark Samus/SA-X situation. Seems overdone at this point, and Sylux certainly does not inspire any fear like SA-X. If he does appear, hopefully it's for something interesting.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That link was 2015, it's 2019 in a few weeks. So it was over 3 years ago.

And I'm sure back then he had big plans for sylux, but that was when they probably thought they'd be developing internally, and when they thought people would actually like Federation Force.

I just can't see them leaning on that character. It's relevance has long past and if they are doing a semi-arid franchise reboot, you'd better believe they'll be trimming the fat.

Though they may re-imagine Sylux and make his design not horrible and give him an actual story and purpose. Who knows. I just wouldn't take 4 year old comments as an indication of what a whole new team is currently doing. That is a heck of a stretch.
I think your speculation is more of a stretch considering the years of teasing they've done for the character (it's not even on the same level as the 1 minisqule tease of Dread in Prime 3) and how Tanabe has constantly said how he'd love to do another Prime with Sylux, the project lead of Metroid Prime 4. Teasing the character at the end of a 2015 Metroid game is nowhere near past relevance.....we don't even know when actual talks of the Prime 4 project started.

Another thing is that you keep saying you think they're going to start with a blank slate but considering how much of a shit show Other M was for the franchise they're probably going to do anything but that and stick more to the roots.

I'm not saying Sylux is a 100% hard lock but pretending he's not highly likely seems silly.

KLBObKI.gif

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I very strongly expect Sylux to be a crucial part of Prime 4's story. Tanabe, for whatever reason, is deadset on that character being a thing, and he's in charge of this game, so it's definitely happening. I'm pretty neutral on him since I never played Hunters, but man, they really need to update his design, because he looks like a rejected character from a fan-made reboot of...well Reboot.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
May I just talk about a single Metroid Other M plot point?

I have never played it, but I did watche a spoiler-laden review and that plot point is actually amusing.
Evil Federation officer: "Agent Mook, do you know of Samus Aran?"
Agent Mook: "The legendary bounty hunter? She once eradicated an entire species our forces couldn't deal with. She took on the whole Space Pirate army by herself and won! She's replicated that feat multiple times.
She is the one who singlehandedly accomplishes military objectives we can't handle. What is my mission concerning that monster of a hunter?"
Evil Federation Officer: "You have to dispose of her covertly if she learns too much!"
Agent Mook: "Sir with all due respect that is beyond my capabilities? What weapon can I even accomplish this with?"
Evil Federation Officer: "You'll have a construction robot."
Agent Mook: " This preposter..."
*Agent Mook gets shot in the face*
Evil Federation Officer: "Alright, who else? Maybe Agent Dumbass? Will you be our assassin?"
Agent Dumbass: "Ha ASS ASS IN! Lol"

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I think your speculation is more of a stretch considering the years of teasing they've done for the character (it's not even on the same level as the 1 minisqule tease of Dread in Prime 3) and how Tanabe has constantly said how he'd love to do another Prime with Sylux, the project lead of Metroid Prime 4. Teasing the character at the end of a 2015 Metroid game is nowhere near past relevance.....we don't even know when actual talks of the Prime 4 project started.

Another thing is that you keep saying you think they're going to start with a blank slate but considering how much of a shit show Other M was for the franchise they're probably going to do anything but that and stick more to the roots.

I'm not saying Sylux is a 100% hard lock but pretending he's not highly likely seems silly.

KLBObKI.gif
Yeah Tanabe also thought fans would love federation Force. And all his statements about Silux came before and during the launch of that game. After the complete failure of Federation Force, whatever ideas Tanabe had were probably canned, or at the very least scrutinized AF.

There is a very good reason why MP4 isn't being made by Next Level Games, or directed by Tanabe, and its because they just dropped the ball and someone with an actual vision and an idea of how to please fans needed to take the reigns.

I think anyone holding on to the thought that they'll be leaning on Silux at all for future games is stretching. Again, like Zelda BotW, I am fully expecting Prime 4 to be a soft reboot. They won't be using past narrative, but it'll still be considered canon, it simply wont inform the new game.

I know he said he wanted to make a game about Samus and Silux but I really don't think that is going to be MP4. Just my two cents on that. you are free to disagree, but the character isn't really a thing aside from one DS game and a very simply and unattractive character design. I honestly don't see anyone wanting to use his design or character for any future games.

You cant sensibly base your predictions on 4 year old interviews with a dude who was honestly completely shocked nobody liked Federation Force.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah Tanabe also thought fans would love federation Force. And all his statements about Silux came before and during the launch of that game. After the complete failure of Federation Force, whatever ideas Tanabe had were probably canned, or at the very least scrutinized AF.
There's nothing inherently wrong with Metroid Prime: Federation Force as a co-op Metroid spinoff other than it was released at the wrong time and place. The game's story beats, i.e the Sylux ending, has no bearing with the game not living up to expectations. (see Metroid Other M and its influence on the franchise after release)
There is a very good reason why MP4 isn't being made by Next Level Games, or directed by Tanabe, and its because they just dropped the ball and someone with an actual vision and an idea of how to please fans needed to take the reigns.
I don't know if I should take you seriously anymore after Tanabe worked on the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy from the start. You know...some of the most looked up to games of all time. A spin-off not hitting it well with fans is not tarnishing his legacy like it seems you're implying. Just like Sakamoto and Other M haven't tarnished his legacy either. (see Samus Returns)

I know he said he wanted to make a game about Samus and Silux but I really don't think that is going to be MP4. Just my two cents on that. you are free to disagree, but the character isn't really a thing aside from one DS game and a very simply and unattractive character design. I honestly don't see anyone wanting to use his design or character for any future games.
Seems like you're putting your emotions in front of a better judgement. We get it, you really don't want Sylux.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I wonder if this game will be influenced by Prometheus/Covenant considering the series constantly drawing inspiration from the Alien franchise.

I'm game.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
There's nothing inherently wrong with Metroid Prime: Federation Force as a co-op Metroid spinoff other than it was released at the wrong time and place. The game's story beats, i.e the Sylux ending, has no bearing with the game not living up to expectations. (see Metroid Other M and its influence on the franchise after release)

I don't know if I should take you seriously anymore after Tanabe worked on the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy from the start. You know...some of the most looked up to games of all time. A spin-off not hitting it well with fans is not tarnishing his legacy like it seems you're implying. Just like Sakamoto and Other M haven't tarnished his legacy either. (see Samus Returns)

Seems like you're putting your emotions in front of a better judgement. We get it, you really don't want Sylux.
Do you know what a producer does? He does not write, direct, or create any of the content for Metroid Prime, nor was Metroid Prime his original creation. Heck Miyamoto had more influence and input into Metroid Prime's creation than Tanabe ever had.

A producer oversees projects to make sure everyone manages their time and facilitates expenditures and the hiring of outside talent. They are not creative directors, and they do not have creative input. He may have some preferences and ideas that he shares with the dev team.

So where you got the idea that Metroid Prime was his legacy, is completely beyond me.

And Federation Force was mechanically, aesthetically, and fundamentally bad. There was nothing fun about that game, Metroid or Not, it was uninspired and terrible.

As for my emotional connection to Metroid: I don't really have one. not like you do anyway by the looks of your posts in this thread. Perhaps you wouldn't be fighting so hard if you were capable of stepping away from your deep emotional connection to the IP and objectively see its flaws and that it needs a reboot. I am actually glad you brought up emotion as I wasn't going to say anything, but because of your statement, I don't need to be so reserved.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Do you know what a producer does? He does not write, direct, or create any of the content for Metroid Prime, nor was Metroid Prime his original creation. Heck Miyamoto had more influence and input into Metroid Prime's creation than Tanabe ever had.

A producer oversees projects to make sure everyone manages their time and facilitates expenditures and the hiring of outside talent. They are not creative directors, and they do not have creative input. He may have some preferences and ideas that he shares with the dev team.

So where you got the idea that Metroid Prime was his legacy, is completely beyond me.
Why are you explaining to me what a producer does? I know the job title. I said he worked on the Trilogy if you re-read my post. Miyamoto was also a producer and inadvertently came up with the idea of visors for the game. It's not a stretch to think Tanabe had similar influence over the game judging from his impressive pedigree. Either way, Tanabe is part of Prime's legacy and he knows the series inside and out.

And Federation Force was mechanically, aesthetically, and fundamentally bad. There was nothing fun about that game, Metroid or Not, it was uninspired and terrible.
Agree to disagree.
As for my emotional connection to Metroid: I don't really have one. not like you do anyway by the looks of your posts in this thread. Perhaps you wouldn't be fighting so hard if you were capable of stepping away from your deep emotional connection to the IP and objectively see its flaws and that it needs a reboot. I am actually glad you brought up emotion as I wasn't going to say anything, but because of your statement, I don't need to be so reserved.
Yes I'm a fan of Metroid. And this bit is a riot considering I've been sticking to hard facts and words from the man himself, the one leading Prime 4. While you've been lamenting Sylux alongside baseless speculation.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just say you don't like Sylux. No need to sugar coat it. You don't like him and don't want to see him then that's it. He can easily be back. Tanabe has made this known. He's the producer and he wants Sylux. Now that it's being made by a third party idk who the Director will be from Bandai.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Not that it really matters, but people listed as producers in Japan, particularly with Nintendo, are not always/usually just what we would consider to be "producers". As in they tend to have a more direct creative input into the game that would overlap with the game director a bit. See Aonuma, Koizumi, Miyamoto, etc. Having said that it's probably fair to say that Tanabe has a more traditional role than others in the company based on his history.

Again though I think people are stuck on the Sylux thing, but Federation Force was a disaster for the franchise and Nintendo, so it would not surprise me at all if Tanabe's creativr input on the series has been scrapped.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Just say you don't like Sylux. No need to sugar coat it. You don't like him and don't want to see him then that's it. He can easily be back. Tanabe has made this known. He's the producer and he wants Sylux. Now that it's being made by a third party idk who the Director will be from Bandai.
How can I not like him, he is a non character. He literally has no presence or character t like or dislike. He just exists. He is like those cute little spiky dudes that crawl around platforms, except less recognizable than those little critters.
Not that it really matters, but people listed as producers in Japan, particularly with Nintendo, are not always/usually just what we would consider to be "producers". As in they tend to have a more direct creative input into the game that would overlap with the game director a bit. See Aonuma, Koizumi, Miyamoto, etc. Having said that it's probably fair to say that Tanabe has a more traditional role than others in the company based on his history.

Again though I think people are stuck on the Sylux thing, but Federation Force was a disaster for the franchise and Nintendo, so it would not surprise me at all if Tanabe's creativr input on the series has been scrapped.
This guy gets it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other M was a disaster too doesn't mean they don't take from that game. Federation Force being a disaster shouldn't have implications on Sylux. I'm sorry you can keep pushing that narrative. It was a side game that came at the wrong time.

I've seen many people say Federation Force was an alright game. Maybe it wasn't a good Metroid game, but an alright to good game atleast. It wasn't the worst thing ever. It was a horrible timing for it. It should not impact if they want Sylux to continue.

They about to open to a whole new audience anyways and FF sales probably tanked. Just redesign him is all I ask.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Sylux sucks and the Prime series' story does as well. The best thing they could do is drop the Prime subtitle and reboot metroid storywise with a new 3d fps entry, or at least place it in the canon timeline after fusion, where past events are explained in the oppening.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
All this arguing about a character who was in one game, and cameoed in two others via hidden scenes which most players wouldn't even see without online videos. Him being in or out of a game isn't a deciding factor, despite Metroid enthusiasts' pickiness.

A senior Nintendo figure like Tanabe isn't going to be kicked off of one of his series stewardships because of a badly-performing game.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Would anyone be down for Metroid Prime 4 to take place after Fusion?

Samus...wanted by the galactic federation. On the run, she stumbles aboard a colony outpost...no contact as Samus tries to hail air traffic control.

She lands down on the colony, to mysteriously find no traces of the colonist. as we enter and scan the terminals. We discover the lore.

The Galactic Federation has discovered something...something ancient...something very old. Upon further reading, it is discovered that the Federation has sent a family salvage crew to take a look.

They are the first to discover the wrecked ruins of the derelict...unknown to them the cold black evil that awaits them.

Samus hears a noise from above her... A hiss, followed by a inhuman shape in the shadows..

Cut to Earth orbit
Somewhere on Gateway Station

Message...
Waiting...Link Open...
ID...User...Carter J Burke

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really should read more about Tanabe's importance at Nintendo before thinking they would throw him under the bus.

You may not like Sylux, but he's more likely to be in than not.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Metroid Prime is in my top 5 game of all time. Abd I haven't been this excited for a trailer since the first Breath of the Wild reveal with Anouma.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Man, the wait is killing me. Really hope we get to see both Metroid Prime Trilogy HD and Prime 4. I really miss Prime games, and hoping that Prime 4 will be on par with the rest of the games. Can't wait to see some killer graphics, and scan every corner of the game.

Also, having motion controls would give a great advantage to the game, given how well it works on other games.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just noticed that project card that says Metroid Prime Universe with a capital U. Seems unneccessary, did they slip the title by mistake?

I'm still hoping for Metroid Prime 4: Resurrection. Makes too much sense, and also Alien 4 was titled Resurrection lol.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I remember when Nintendo released MP Trilogy Wii port on Wii U VC, and was selling something like $15-20, and game was selling great,
it was best selling eShop title for ages.
So thats probably one of reasons that most likely push them to do MP Trilogy HD for Switch.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I hope they can get the morph ball right... Of all Other M's many flaws, I found the morph ball to be the most egregious. It doesn't even roll 1:1 with the ground (if that makes sense). Of all the things to not get right!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All this arguing about a character who was in one game, and cameoed in two others via hidden scenes which most players wouldn't even see without online videos. Him being in or out of a game isn't a deciding factor, despite Metroid enthusiasts' pickiness.

A senior Nintendo figure like Tanabe isn't going to be kicked off of one of his series stewardships because of a badly-performing game.
It's mainly because he's emblematic of the complete downfall of Metroid. He essentially represents everything that has gone wrong with the series. Meanwhile he has no positive attributes that he brings to the table, so even though he's an empty nobody he still inspires dread among fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.