• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't be a deal breaker if you collected ability points instead of unique powerups, but it would be a little boring since every AAA game has a skill tree using ability points right now.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid has a ton of great designs. The Chozo, the Luminoth, the Ing, Ridley. I just don't know what happened to Retro in the transition to Wii, because

Ready_Room_Hunters_2.png

these guys were a mess, Dark Samus was awful, Sylux is bleh.

I guess they're all less lame than SA-X, but still.

This is Retro trying to cater to the Halo audience.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are all you people ready for Metroid Prime 4: Battle Royale?

I honestly think this could work really well, but only with like 10 players max. Just make a big map with random upgrades for players to pick up and use and make it feel like you are completely on your own, damn, just thinking about the possibilities makes me hyped.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading many things in a row breaks the pace of the game. For example Horizon Zero Dawn is another game that puts too many scans in a row.
HZD is a faster paced combat oriented game. Metroid Prime was an adventure game with some combat. There was so much "down time" to explore and investigate what happened. I don't think the pace was ruined. Now some of the scanning of mobs during combat because that was your only chance was BS.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid has a ton of great designs. The Chozo, the Luminoth, the Ing, Ridley. I just don't know what happened to Retro in the transition to Wii, because

Ready_Room_Hunters_2.png

these guys were a mess, Dark Samus was awful, Sylux is bleh.

I guess they're all less lame than SA-X, but still.
The Chozo, the Luminoth, the Ing, Ridley are all great, that's true. Creature design in Metroid is fantastic. The NPC design from MP3 onward (plus the space marines in MP2) though is horrid. It seems like they brought in a new person who doesn't understand the aesthetic at all. And then of course it really spiraled downwards for the game after MP3.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
If Prime 4 has contextual platforms then it's a success. That's one of my favourite things about Prime.
De3-8HHXcAAbwTd.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
scanning was novel back in the day, now it's just overdone and even a point of contention for some people. though the one way to really combat it and tell a story is through cutscenes, which metroid fans have an aversion to

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they don't announce the Trilogy for Switch I'm just going to download Dolphin and play it with that, I need my Metroid fix and I need it soon.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Experience and leveling up can absolutely wreck the difficulty curve of "Metroidvania" games, it's partially why the Castlevania games have never been able to compare with the best Metroid games. It could work if implemented well but it's rarely implemented well and will most likely just set a weird precedent for the series and there would be no going back.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
scanning was novel back in the day, now it's just overdone and even a point of contention for some people. though the one way to really combat it and tell a story is through cutscenes, which metroid fans have an aversion to
I dunno, seems like MP1 was ahead of its time in that regard. Almost every Adventure or RPG type game has collectible text logs now. I'd say scanning is actually a much more elegant and clever idea than finding journals laying around or what have you.

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, seems like MP1 was ahead of its time in that regard. Almost every Adventure or RPG type game has collectible text logs now. I'd say scanning is actually a much more elegant and clever idea than finding journals laying around or what have you.

Detective vision is just a terrible gameplay mechanic though and that is based on the scan visor. Witcher 3 and Persona 5 in particular ruin their graphics by relying on detective vision and the Witcher 3's gameplay with detective vision is suuuuuuper bad.

Not sure the scan visor has many combat or puzzle applications that are interesting. It was just there because it was traditional in the series to have rocks that could only be blown up by certain weapons.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's what I said. but I don't agree that scanning is more clever. it's literally the same thing just with an added visual effect

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Around the Internet I've seen some ask for Samus to actually do bounty hunting and take on quests and collect bounties, but ehhhhhhhhh. Almost sounds like a spin-off tbh.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

But they do not have ONLY that to tell the story.

Oct 26, 2017
Just in the sense that you have to directly interact with the object or enemy to collect the info, and you obtain it in a way that fits perfectly in context.

The games would work fine without the scan visor by giving the player context clues to tell them what an enemy or object is weak against.

But they do not have ONLY that to tell the story.

Bethesda disagrees ;)

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to have another character in a similar role to Dark Samus, I think it's perfectly logical to go with one that exists already.

I'd hope Sylux is more then showing up randomly for Dark Samus-like fights. I'm not sure how you thread that needle properly, but I'd like the character to be memorable and have motivation, spring a trap or two on Samus, etc without making things cutscene/monologue heavy.

Picking up stuff, examining an object to find points of interest, or hacking a computer to get an audio/video log is more fun then just only tediously scanning things.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Around the Internet I've seen some ask for Samus to actually do bounty hunting and take on quests and collect bounties, but ehhhhhhhhh. Almost sounds like a spin-off tbh.

Bounties could work well in my opinion, it could also be a way to implement the Federation in this and let the bounties function as side-quests in the game to get some extra upgrades or something. I think it could work.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Speaking of visors, one thing I really hope is that they completely get rid of the stupid filter visors (X-ray and infrared visors) in Prime 4. The only purpose they serve is to solve puzzles and open doors, they don't do anything else (the exception being how the x-ray visor made prime 3's combat even more of a joke). There's a reason they never brought back the X-ray scope in the 2d games, it's because it doesn't do anything to actually improve or add to samus' abilities the same way every other upgrade does. Instead, the Prime 4 team should try to make puzzle upgrades that are more useful to combat like the seeker missiles, diffusion missiles, or grapple lasso.

Oct 26, 2017
The hottest take about Metroid Prime:

Remove the minimap and map completely and focus the level design on the player being able to navigate the world without a map.

Oct 26, 2017

Remove the minimap and map completely and focus the level design on the player being able to navigate the world without a map.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bounties make absolutely no sense and would ruin the character. Samus is not a mercenary, she doesn't kill for money. She's closer to a superhero than a mercenary, Samus basically acts out of goodwill and the sense of duty that she got from the Chozo, a pacifist race that had the philosophy to only fight if it was the absolute last measure.

The "bounty hunter" title is just a way to say that she's not directly affiliated to any group. The japanese side of Nintendo already explained this and the games themselves always showed Samus more as this merciful hero (save the animals...) than a cold blooded killer -- I legit have no idea how people don't get this.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think they could structure MP4 a bit more like a Dark Souls metroidvania. The same type of "Open World" that introduces a lot of optional areas that reward the player with equipment, upgrades, new ways of accessing areas, etc... This solves some of the "lost" feeling one often gets with these games as there will be more areas to go through and that open up. Tie progression to equipment instead of difficulty, though, like a typical Method game. Allow more than one type of upgrade to allow access to areas.

Give combat a kinetic feel. Maybe do that by adding melee weapons, or take some Doom inspiration by giving Samus the ability to gain health by finishing off enemies up close (in a Metroid type of way though).

Maybe also rethink some of the stuff Samus' suit can do. Other transformation outside the morph ball would be nice. Or do something interesting by giving the spiderball actual spider legs and actually spider like functionality. Imagine a beam like spider web it can shoot out and have the morph ball dangle down. Then using the boost ball to swing around. Or shooting two webs in opposite directions and using the boost ball to sling Samus. Just more cool things that change the way we look at what Samus can do. Maybe she can transform into a tiny hover craft or something that can be used to deal damage to enemies. IDK. Figure that part out.

Also, I think the way story should be handled in a Metroid Prime game was already solved in Prime 2. Just do that structure again, IMO. It was a great mixture of isolation and story. The story could stand to be more interesting though.

Just doing stuff like that, IMO, is enough innovation to keep the series feeling like Metroid, but expand it. Also, make the game super violent, IMO. That's enough of a hook to draw people in. Not ridiculously violent, but appropriately so.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
All of us complaining about things we know will continue to exist best get it out now before the reveal because it's gonna happen whether we like it or not. Some people like things some people don't, but don't let those nitpicks overshadow your feelings of a brand new Metroid Prime game that we were never promised but always dreamed of for 11 years. That means you Servbot24 :P

Unless y'all want to complain at the reveal instead

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of visors, one thing I really hope is that they completely get rid of the stupid filter visors (X-ray and infrared visors) in Prime 4. The only purpose they serve is to solve puzzles and open doors, they don't do anything else (the exception being how the x-ray visor made prime 3's combat even more of a joke). There's a reason they never brought back the X-ray scope in the 2d games, it's because it doesn't do anything to actually improve or add to samus' abilities the same way every other upgrade does. Instead, the Prime 4 team should try to make puzzle upgrades that are more useful to combat like the seeker missiles, diffusion missiles, or grapple lasso.

Actually the visors in Prime 1 were necessary to move around dark areas, also to detect invisible enemies. I liked how they were implemented.

I do agree that the Echo visor in MP2 was pretty useless. Same with the command visor in MP3.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing with Prime 4

There hasn't been an entry in the series in 11 years and this is the most traditionally AAA game Nintendo other than Zelda has so there's been a lot of competition.

The scan visor has been endlessly ripped off since 2009 and has shown no gameplay potential in these ripoffs and had few interest scenarios in the original Prime games.

Prime's combat system isn't super interesting when we've had a billion shooters since then that have made a ton of changes to the series.

So I think combat changes and maybe a drastic change or removal of the scan visor would be a good idea.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bounties make absolutely no sense and would ruin the character. Samus is not a mercenary, she doesn't kill for money. She's closer to a superhero than a mercenary, Samus basically acts out of goodwill and the sense of duty that she got from the Chozo, a pacifist race that had the philosophy to only fight if it was the absolute last measure.

The "bounty hunter" title is just a way to say that she's not directly affiliated to any group. The japanese side of Nintendo already explained this and the games themselves always showed Samus more as this merciful hero (save the animals...) than a cold blooded killer -- I legit have no idea how people don't get this.
It's like I was playing a different game back then or something. Prime games were adventure games focused on exploration more than anything else. A lot of the requests ITT got me feeling disillusioned to be honest...

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- Replace beams with bullets
- Remove the scan visor, instead have Adam comment on what you see, all the time
- No more puzzles or room-based progression, instead have a fully open world
- Remove traditional upgrades and replace them with XP based progression

10 million sold guaranteed

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
#TeamScanVisor

It's one of the most clever and elegant ways of doing datalog, til this day.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
- Remove the scan visor, instead have Adam comment on what you see, all the time

You forgot on screen waypoints

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017

What the hell, Dardan? Please tell me you're being sarcastic

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
And not everyone is Retro. I don't know what to expect from Bandai. I have high hopes and expectations. I still think they'll do a great job.

I'm hopeful that maybe part of Prime 1's original team is supervising or at least in discussions along with Tanabe.

Give combat a kinetic feel. Maybe do that by adding melee weapons, or take some Doom inspiration by giving Samus the ability to gain health by finishing off enemies up close (in a Metroid type of way though).

I mean, that would literally be a Metroid kind of way thing. As in, maybe Samus somehow fuses with a Metroid, and she can now suck energy out of enemies.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
It's like I was playing a different game back then or something. Prime games were adventure games focused on exploration more than anything else. A lot of the requests ITT got me feeling disillusioned to be honest...

A true translation of the 2D Metroid games into 3D would have a little more focus on action then the Prime games do.

It's basically an analogy to Breath of the Wild taking things from the original NES Zelda instead of just remaking Ocarina of Time over and over again. Prime 4 needs to take more from the 2D games then the original Prime Trilogy did.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Actually the visors in Prime 1 were necessary to move around dark areas, also to detect invisible enemies. I liked how they were implemented.

I do agree that the Echo visor in MP2 was pretty useless. Same with the command visor in MP3.
I don't know about the whole invisible enemies thing, the extra visors don't really change much about how you fight them. All they do is force you to fight them with a different color filter. You can compare this a little to the grapple lasso in Prime 3, which while also having limited uses in combat still managed to change the way you fight by allowing you to grapple off shields and drain energy from enemies.

I also literally forgot the command visor was a thing, it's probably the most useless upgrade in the series tbh.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
All of us complaining about things we know will continue to exist best get it out now before the reveal because it's gonna happen whether we like it or not. Some people like things some people don't, but don't let those nitpicks overshadow your feelings of a brand new Metroid Prime game that we were never promised but always dreamed of for 11 years. That means you too, Servbot24 :P

Unless y'all want to moan at the reveal instead

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Prime 1 & 2 are already designed that way. If you turn off the hint systm the world design is more than enough to push you towards your next objective without ever opening your map. I see no reason to remove the map as an option for those that need it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah speaking of the grapple beam, I'd love for it to be way less contextual and scripted. Let us actually use it on anything solid, or at least way more surfaces than just predefined grapple points.

If this game is going to BoTW-ify anything, it should be the removal of scripted actions and replacement with free-form mechanics like that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

actually Samus is closer to a mercenary than a bounty hunter anyway. she takes on jobs for the Federation. having morals doesn't detract from that

Status
Not open for further replies.