• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
You mean visually or conceptually?
Conceptually. Like I mentioned before, Metroid has its fanbase, but the current style of 2D or Prime isn't going to grow the fanbase. I think there's a lot of different directions you can take Metroid, and I've always felt that Nintendo needs to experiment more with first person titles.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I see. Like I've said before I'm prepared for like 70% Metroid Prime 1 and 30% of Metroid Prime 3. A very good amount of isolation, but a mix of VA, cutscenes, interaction with Federation and Sylux.
That sounds fair and I wouldn't be opposed to that. If they want to flesh out the world a bit I'm cool with it. But hopefully it doesn't lose what makes Metroid Prime what it is.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I don't think people would mind though if combat is expanded and there's appeal there if done right. Maybe making little changes here and there can add up.

I know people don't want to hear it, but they could add RPG elements.
I don't think RPG elements would work well in a metroid game. The only reason they work in Castlevania is due to the large amount of gear you can find which help to make stats less important, something that wouldn't really work well in a metroid game. Besides, RPG elements don't really add any depth to a combat system, especially if they're the simplistic kind of just numbers going up, nor do they fix the core problems with metroid prime's combat system. Besides, the effect of RPG elements, of the player getting physically stronger as the game progresses, is already handled perfectly through metroid's upgrade collecting.

Instead if they want to add depth to metroid's combat they need to up the variety with beams, missiles, and beam combos. All beams and beam combos should be useful, with their being no best combo like super missiles were in Prime 1. Combine this with better mobility and an upgrade system where all upgrades are useful for more than just traversal and opening doors and the combat system might finally have the depth it needs.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Bring back beam switching to spice up the combat. Having a single beam in Prime 3 limited things.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the rumor that Bandai Namco Singapore started the game, but then turned it over to Bandai Namco in Japan?

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They run the gamut from bland, sub Halo-level stuff in the Prime games, to....whatever the hell this is meant to be in Other M.

150px-Adam.jpg

I don't need to see any of it.

Yeah this is horrible, the only NPC design I liked from Metroid was the Luminoth from MP2, the rest are pretry bad.

There shouldn't be any to begin with.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to have another character in a similar role to Dark Samus, I think it's perfectly logical to go with one that exists already.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an idea, how about a beam modulator? Instead of the standard "plasma beam" or "wave beam" you start with a single beam and gain the ability to modulate its frequency and amplitude to produce different effects. High frequency beams can pierce armor but do less damage while low frequency beams can destroy rocks or walls, stuff like that.

And you can even do this modulation on the fly, while you're in the middle of firing the beam.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The problem of the "feeling of isolation" is that it is difficult to empathize with what is happening. Samus is obviously not helpless so it's not like a survival horror, but I do not feel like I'm doing anything significant either.

The end of Metroid Prime 3 makes it clear that you are saving the galaxy, the end of Metroid Prime 1 is "Well the game is over, I guess".

With Metroid Prime 2 is practically a sidequest.
I'd have to disagree with your interpretation of Prime 1. What I felt is that (through the eyes of Samus) I had uncovered a lost chronicle of a super-advanced civilization slowly and tragically meeting their demise. The sense of isolation was on point considering that Tallon IV was probably, at one point, teeming with life, specifically the life of the Chozo. "Destroying" Metroid Prime felt rather cathartic in the sense that was the source of the corruption of Tallon IV's natural order. A lot of points in Prime made it feel like it was a mystery story. The tagline of the game purports as much, stating that "An evil force needs to be expunged from Tallon IV, but first...it must be found". Samus had missed the party (the party being the downfall of a civilization) and the player is given the opportunity to piece together exactly what the hell happened.

It was overall a very personal story for Samus, considering that the Chozo raised her, so I imagine uncovering the horrible truth about their fate was a tough pill to swallow.

I do agree that Prime 2 felt like the "filler " of the trilogy, but I take it as more of a story for Dark Samus.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Here's an idea, how about a beam modulator? Instead of the standard "plasma beam" or "wave beam" you start with a single beam and gain the ability to modulate its frequency and amplitude to produce different effects. High frequency beams can pierce armor but do less damage while low frequency beams can destroy rocks or walls, stuff like that.

And you can even do this modulation on the fly, while you're in the middle of firing the beam.
That just seems like Beam Switching but more complicated.
Feels kinda cosmetic.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get a "2019" at the end of the Prime 4 trailer. I feel like if they're willing to show it now then it's ready for 2019, but they could feel like they have an obligation to show it now even though it's a 2020 title.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I hope we can finally pilot Samus ship, and even i hope we can upgrade it. I imagine a game where you explore planets with your ship and you can land to explore them.

Something similar to Blaster Master.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'd have to disagree with your interpretation of Prime 1. What I felt is that (through the eyes of Samus) I had uncovered a lost chronicle of a super-advanced civilization slowly and tragically meeting their demise. The sense of isolation was on point considering that Tallon IV was probably, at one point, teeming with life, specifically the life of the Chozo. "Destroying" Metroid Prime felt rather cathartic in the sense that was the source of the corruption of Tallon IV's natural order. A lot of points in Prime made it feel like it was a mystery story. The tagline of the game purports as much, stating that "An evil force needs to be expunged from Tallon IV, but first...it must be found". Samus had missed the party (the party being the downfall of a civilization) and the player is given the opportunity to piece together exactly what the hell happened.

It was overall a very personal story for Samus, considering that the Chozo raised her, so I imagine uncovering the horrible truth about their fate was a tough pill to swallow.

I do agree that Prime 2 felt like the "filler " of the trilogy, but I take it as more of a story for Dark Samus.

The problem is that the game does not tell you anything about it effectively or in a way that you can generate an emotional connection.

No, scans are not effective in telling a story.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
expand the roll of the Federation. I liked how Feddie Force shown them taking on tasks and shit. there's a middle ground between "isolated, but lived in" and "the only living person in the fucking universe is Samus and the creatures she's gonna kill". Metroid falls too close to the latter for me.

not to mention, it would really help with advertising. without other NPCs, you really can't show off the stakes. and pretty vistas ain't enough to push a game

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That just seems like Beam Switching but more complicated.
Feels kinda cosmetic.

I think it feels more streamlined and "contextual" in a way. And it's not really beam switching, since the idea is that your beam now has entire spectra. Instead of 4 discrete beams, you have an entire spectrum of frequencies and an entirely separate spectrum of amplitudes, and you can experiment with them both to get interesting and surprising results. And since it's a spectrum it's something you can switch on the fly without pausing, just hold down the D-pad arrow up to raise the frequency or something.

Although now that I think about it amplitude doesn't really make much sense. Why would you ever want to use low amplitude beams. Stealth maybe? Maybe instead it can be frequency and temperature, so you can have low frequency ice beams or high frequency plasma beams, that kinda thing.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really hope we get a "2019" at the end of the Prime 4 trailer. I feel like if they're willing to show it now then it's ready for 2019, but they could feel like they have an obligation to show it now even though it's a 2020 title.

I hope the first, but I think the last. The announcement was one and a half years ago, they should probably start showing things now even though it's still quite far away.

Oct 25, 2017

That's interesting. I like the idea of a multi-use beam. Maybe instead of changing the frequency directly it changes as you charge it? At single shots it's wide firing and slow, but fully charged it's narrow and vary fast.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I don't think people would mind though if combat is expanded and there's appeal there if done right. Maybe making little changes here and there can add up.

I know people don't want to hear it, but they could add RPG elements.
Nah, classic upgrades are much better progression.

I'd rather keep upgrading Samus's health ammunition through exploration and maybe some puzzle-solving, rather than by pumping points into skill trees.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the game does not tell you anything about it effectively or in a way that you can generate an emotional connection.

How else was Samus supposed to figure out what happened if everyone was dead? She had no one to talk to, and it made sense that there were a bunch of logs scattered around that the Chozo made during what was essentially an apocalypse scenario.

The logs of various Chozos succumbing to Phazon or being experimented on didn't grip you in any way? Mourning that your society was so advanced and prosperous yet to eventually see the positive advancements you've made be corrupted isn't a compelling journal entry to find on a Chozo corpse?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, classic upgrades are much better progression.

I'd rather keep upgrading Samus's health ammunition through exploration and maybe some puzzle-solving, rather than by pumping points into skill trees.
I agree. I'm very happy with the way it's done. I'm just thinking about an audience Nintendo might want to grow into and seeing numbers, experience points, etc is attractive.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
How else was Samus supposed to figure out what happened if everyone was dead? She had no one to talk to, and it made sense that there were a bunch of logs scattered around that the Chozo made during what was essentially an apocalypse scenario.

The logs of various Chozos succumbing to Phazon or being experimented on didn't grip you in any way? Mourning that your society was so advanced and prosperous yet to eventually see the positive advancements you've made be corrupted isn't a compelling journal entry to find on a Chozo corpse?

Holograms of recordings from the past would be far more interesting, less annoying and more direct. Something like Tacoma.

Or an AI made to react to Chozo DNA that is incorporated into Samus's suit and informs about what she observes.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just think if MPT HD is announced it might be a February game which is only 2 months away...way too exciting because we will, more than likely, get a date for Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Last edited:

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just think if MPT HD is accounted it might be a February game which is only 2 months away...way too exciting because we will, more than likely, get a date for Metroid Prime Trilogy.

It's crazy to think that we might get the trilogy on Switch in februari, but it's totally possible as we have had Trilogy rumours for quite a long time now, super exciting.

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind experience points and finding random weapons and armor from enemy drops. If it works in Castlevania. I don't see why it wouldn't work in Metroid.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I thought they were. Played as if I was investigating what happened. So seeking out stuff to scan and actually reading the info was very satisfying to me.

Oct 26, 2017
The scan visor was a good idea back in 2002

Now every game has ripped it off and made it feel really terrible.

The scan visor wasn't used well for puzzles or combat at all and while it was good for stories, they can cut out the written lore if they want to and just have environmental storytelling.

The scan visor in the old games just showed which areas were destructible and allowed you to lock on to weaknesses which is pretty non-compelling.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they could implement a kind of fusion between the existing beam systems by letting you "build" beams based on a number of stackable effects and assign them to directions on the d-pad? Basically like Mighty Gunvolt Burst in Metroid.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because then it's not Metroid. But then BotW shed most of the traditional Zelda elements and was an amazing game.
That's kind of the problem with RPG elements, especially gaining experience points. It's not Metroid anymore and now you're moving into the "Botw" type of territory.

I said Metroid doesn't need to Botw itself. I suggested RPG elements, but the more I've thought about it, it becomes less the Metroid we know.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Could easily be part of the couldn't be bothered to read shit crowd. Seen way too many in WoW that claim there is now story or lore and what not, but there is so much in quest text it's not even funny. I know many who played the MP games that only scanned to get 100%.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I confess that's a big problem. The NPC design in Metroid is horrifyingly bland. Maybe with different designs I'd change my tune.
Metroid has a ton of great designs. The Chozo, the Luminoth, the Ing, Ridley. I just don't know what happened to Retro in the transition to Wii, because

Ready_Room_Hunters_2.png

these guys were a mess, Dark Samus was awful, Sylux is bleh.

I guess they're all less lame than SA-X, but still.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the rumor that Bandai Namco Singapore started the game, but then turned it over to Bandai Namco in Japan?
Singapore is more a support studio. They've worked on a bunch of stuff like Mario Sports 3DS, Tales of Berseria and even Monster Hunter World. I don't think they ever led core development before though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Could easily be part of the couldn't be bothered to read shit crowd. Seen way too many in WoW that claim there is now story or lore and what not, but there is so much in quest text it's not even funny. I know many who played the MP games that only scanned to get 100%.

Reading many things in a row breaks the pace of the game. For example Horizon Zero Dawn is another game that puts too many scans in a row.

Occasionally and well distributed are a good tool, too many together and without more options are boring.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of the problem with RPG elements, especially gaining experience points. It's not Metroid anymore and now you're moving into the "Botw" type of territory.

I said Metroid doesn't need to Botw itself. I suggested RPG elements, but the more I've thought about it, it becomes less the Metroid we know.
Oh believe me, Metroid needs to stay the same in terms of its genre so to speak. RPG elements ts need to stay out. I'd be for finding the pieces of armor to build the specific suits. But that's about it. Maybe finding some items to enhance the weapons/visor/suits. But nothing too RPGish.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The potential story focus on stuff like Sylux or the Federation is worrying because Metroid has never done any of these aspects well. Prime 3 , Fusion, Other M, Hunters and FF tried to inject some of this stuff into the games themselves and it has ALWAYS detracted from the games.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they keep the scan visor, and it feels like a cross between Metroid Prime 1 and 2 in terms of tone, I'm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.