• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks it have a stylized art style. Not sure why, But I just think so.

no, not BOTW.
It was revealed e3 2014, and had offscreen gameplay at TGA 2014.

MP4 should to show gameplay soon. Prior to E3 2019.
in general I feel games shouldn't be announced and go 2 full years with absolutely nothing imo. So anytime before next e3.
Has Nintendo ever actually done this? With BotW I believe the first showing was E3 2014 and then they showed gameplay during the game awards that same year. I can't think of any examples of Nintendo showing two teasers before having a real trailer.
Botw was shown at the Game Awards 2014 with gameplay. It's initial reveal was E3 2014. I can agree they probably won't show a trailer, but there needs to be gameplay for sure.

The question was have they shown a teaser with no gameplay after the game was announced, and yes they did with BotW during a Nintendo direct in which they gave it a 2016 release date. It was just a little scene of Link riding on a horse, not actual gameplay.

Yes they did show gameplay of the game the year earlier but again that wasn't the question.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The question was have they shown a teaser with no gameplay after the game was announced, and yes they did with BotW during a Nintendo direct in which they gave it a 2016 release date. It was just a little scene of Link riding on a horse, not actual gameplay.

Yes they did show gameplay of the game the year earlier but again that wasn't the question.
I don't see how we're comparing it like that? The comparison should be from initial reveal to second reveal. Initial reveal of Botw was very minimal. Animal Crossing just showed a card. Bayonetta 3 just showed like nothing.

After Botw's initial reveal we got a big gameplay segment. I expect the next time we see Animal Crossing and Bayonetta 3 we get trailers and a good amount of video for the game. Metroid Prime 4 should get gameplay being its second reveal after the initial was a whopping year and a half ago.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If we do get Sylux I hope he gets redesigned, cause his initial design is one fugly mess.
Though his color scheme bears some resemblance with Meta/Omega Ridley, so I guess I'm somewhat interested to see if there's a connection.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't actually know Sylux's gender, do we?

I haven't played Other M, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't there at all.
Yeah he's not the downfall of Metroid. The downfall is the series itself. Other M sucked ass. The series in general hasn't sold probably what Nintendo wants it to sell. Federation Force was just a dumb call on Nintendo/Tanabe's part.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see what's inherently awful about the presence of "good" faction (juxtaposed with the pirates) that frequently employs Samus to clean up their mess.
Because it doesn't fit with Metroid at all. It makes sense that in the background there are official organizations, but the player should not be thinking about Federations and Space Politics and Galactic Popes and whatever other space opera shit you can imagine. The player should be thinking about weird creatures, gross plants, clever mazes, morphing environments, etc.

You don't really need them in the foreground talking to you.

Do pirates make you feel less isolated? No? Then I don't see how a fresh supply of Federation trooper corpses to make you feel badass in comparison would make you feel as such.
Space Pirates are just creatures to me, and I don't want to feel "badass".

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I reserve the right to quote and tease you ad nauseum if you end up liking or even tolerating their execution of Sylux in the game.

You are exempt if Sylux dies 20 minutes in or something like that.
Haha, that would be something! Haven't they been building up to Sylux for years now? I think he will be a big part of MP4.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I think the isolation elements of Metroid are over emphasized. A lot of people love that about the series, but personally I love the sci fi setting, ancient aliens, and power upgrades and don't really care either way about feeling isolated.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys not what the federation popping in sometimes on the planet Samus is on? Or do you have a problem if Samus goes and visits the Federation?

Like what if she's getting calls to her helmet from the Federation while she's exploring. Is that fine?

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No one said anything about giving them speaking roles.

Do pirates make you feel less isolated? No? Then I don't see how a fresh supply of Federation trooper corpses to make you feel badass in comparison would make you feel as such.

Sure, it could work when they are on the background, giving missions and such maybe. But I don't want to talk to them face-to-face.

I have a strong feeling we're not getting the type of isolation you saw in Metroid Prime 1, which was basically the entire game.

Yea, probably not.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid needs a BotW style rehaul. I'm sure Metroid fans just want a by the numbers Prime sequel, but I think the franchise has hit a ceiling that desperately needs to be smashed through.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Because it doesn't fit with Metroid at all. It makes sense that in the background there are official organizations, but the player should not be thinking about Federations and Space Politics and Galactic Popes and whatever other space opera shit you can imagine. The player should be thinking about weird creatures, gross plants, clever mazes, morphing environments, etc.

Did you really mind reading data logs from federation corpses in MP2 that much?

And you would have to actively avoid scanning shit in older Prime games to keep you immersion in the idea that Space Pirates are just creatures.

Does reading lore of dead civilizations detract from your hostile planet exploration experience as well? After all, "dead advanced aliens" is also a "space opera trope".

I hope I am not coming off as annoying, it's just that it's hard to believe that such innocous elements detracts from your experience. Even the original game would have failed you then.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's called a he in interviews and stuff like Smash Bros trophy descriptions.
In japanese?

People said the same about Dark Samus, but when I looked up most of the japanese text uses gender neutral pronouns to describe her.

I do agree that it's hilarious that some people act like Sylux is this horrible character that ruined Metroid when they literally never even did anything bad.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you guys not what the federation popping in sometimes on the planet Samus is on? Or do you have a problem if Samus goes and visits the Federation?

Like what if she's getting calls to her helmet from the Federation while she's exploring. Is that fine?
I'm all for the Federation playing a role in the game, but they should absolutely not be sending her messages to her helmet. I like the isolation in Metroid games, and you can still have that with something like the Federation existing but they shouldn't constantly be reminding you that they exist. And besides, that would not make sense for the series. The Federation hires her to do a job the way she sees fit. She's a bounty hunter and they do not have oversight of her so they should not be dropping in and calling her.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the isolation elements of Metroid are over emphasized. A lot of people love that about the series, but personally I love the sci fi setting, ancient aliens, and power upgrades and don't really care either way about feeling isolated.
I get people loving the isolation. It's Metroid and that's what the series was to begin with. It should always stick to it's core, but dead federation around or them calling into you isn't that bad IMO.

Metroid Prime 3 I loved and it's the least isolated of the 3 and had a lot of interaction.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how we're comparing it like that? The comparison should be from initial reveal to second reveal. Initial reveal of Botw was very minimal. Animal Crossing just showed a card. Bayonetta 3 just showed like nothing.

After Botw's initial reveal we got a big gameplay segment. I expect the next time we see Animal Crossing and Bayonetta 3 we get trailers and a good amount of video for the game. Metroid Prime 4 should get gameplay being its second reveal after the initial was a whopping year and a half ago.

I mean I hope you're right too, I'm just bracing for the worst I guess.

And if the worst is even just a little bit of Prime 4 gameplay then we're in a good timeline.

Metroid needs a BotW style rehaul. I'm sure Metroid fans just want a by the numbers Prime sequel, but I think the franchise has hit a ceiling that desperately needs to be smashed through.

I still think the best way to do that is to go all in on destructible environments. It can add that emergent, sandboxy feel that BotW had while basically heading right back to Metroid 1's roots.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for the Federation playing a role in the game, but they should absolutely not be sending her messages to her helmet. I like the isolation in Metroid games, and you can still have that with something like the Federation existing but they shouldn't constantly be reminding you that they exist. And besides, that would not make sense for the series. The Federation hires her to do a job the way she sees fit. She's a bounty hunter and they do not have oversight of her so they should not be dropping in and calling her.
I see. Like I've said before I'm prepared for like 70% Metroid Prime 1 and 30% of Metroid Prime 3. A very good amount of isolation, but a mix of VA, cutscenes, interaction with Federation and Sylux.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

On top of that, the Federation troopers feel like they were designed in 2003 by an eager but not particularly talented intern and look about as generic as you can imagine. You can argue that they're meant to look dull in contrast to Samus in her idiosyncratic alien armour, but the net result is they feel like an uninspired element in a weird and wonderful world.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't think Prime needs to reinvent the wheel, afterall there are still hardly any 3D Metroid-like games

It does need to do something to stand out from the other entries in the Saga though

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really mind reading data logs from federation corpses in MP2 that much?

And you would have to actively avoid scanning shit in older Prime games to keep you immersion in the idea that Space Pirates are just creatures.

Does reading lore of dead civilizations detract from your hostile planet exploration experience as well? After all, "dead advanced aliens" is also a "space opera trope".
Nope, all of that stuff is great (well the Federation logs weren't great but I could deal with it as a set up). It adds depth and intrigue. But none of that is plot-driven cut scenes, active NPCs or dialogue. That's what I have a problem with - devices that act as a story-telling replacement to the environment driven story-telling that should be the premise.

On top of that, the Federation troopers feel like they were designed in 2003 by an eager but not particularly talented intern and look about as generic as you can imagine. You can argue that they're meant to look dull in contrast to Samus in her idiosyncratic alien armour, but the net result is they feel like an uninspired element in a weird and wonderful world.
I confess that's a big problem. The NPC design in Metroid is horrifyingly bland. Maybe with different designs I'd change my tune.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree at all with Metroid needing it's Botw moment. It needs to be Metroid Prime. We don't get those games at all in this industry. But they can make it more appealing. Expand the combat and gameplay. I mean I'm not a dev and I know they can think of stuff. They don't need to completely break Metroid down and build a different house.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I can't agree at all with Metroid needing it's Botw moment. It needs to be Metroid Prime. We don't get those games at all in this industry. But they can make it more appealing. Expand the combat and gameplay. I mean I'm not a dev and I know they can think of stuff. They don't need to completely break Metroid down and build a different house.
Combat is the area that needs the most improvment but combat also isn't what Metroid is all about

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think BOTW style revamp with more verticallity and caves and stuff could work, but it would also feel rather empty.
The problem with metroid is, almost all places samus visits are dead.
You only find the aftermath of civilized life having lived there and died.
We didn't really have a big number of NPCs in the series.
I don't think they could really work past maybe with a sole surivivor like with the Luminoth in Prime 2.
The other Hunters in Prime 3 were awesome, but you can't really fill a big open world with them.
Metroid needs to be smaller I think.
At least in map size.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It adds depth and intrigue. But none of that is plot-driven cut scenes, active NPCs or dialogue.
I'm not advocating for any of that and I don't believe background presence of Federation has to come with those element.

If Sylux is in the game, I wouldn't want him to go on monologues and would want him to basically be another Dark Samus. His motivations would be hinted at or explained through scannable stuff.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I confess that's a big problem. The NPC design in Metroid is horrifyingly bland. Maybe with different designs I'd change my tune.

They run the gamut from bland, sub Halo-level stuff in the Prime games, to....whatever the hell this is meant to be in Other M.

150px-Adam.jpg

I don't need to see any of it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem of the "feeling of isolation" is that it is difficult to empathize with what is happening. Samus is obviously not helpless so it's not like a survival horror, but I do not feel like I'm doing anything significant either.

The end of Metroid Prime 3 makes it clear that you are saving the galaxy, the end of Metroid Prime 1 is "Well the game is over, I guess".

With Metroid Prime 2 is practically a sidequest.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Combat is the area that needs the most improvment but combat also isn't what Metroid is all about
Combat needs an overhaul if there i to be anything resembling a shootout in the game.

Old Prime combat is fine for obstacle creatures and some puzzle-like opponents, but those oldschool space pirate firefights aren't gonna go over well in 2019 or 2020.

If I'm to partake in that kind of combat, then I better be able to handle myself like a proper power armor lass.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people would mind though if combat is expanded and there's appeal there if done right. Maybe making little changes here and there can add up.

I know people don't want to hear it, but they could add RPG elements.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Combat needs an overhaul if there i to be anything resembling a shootout in the game.

Old Prime combat is fine for obstacle creatures and some puzzle-like opponents, but those oldschool space pirate firefights aren't gonna go over well in 2019 or 2020.

If I'm to partake in that kind of combat, then I better be able to handle myself like a proper power armor lass.
Yeah, although I have no problem with the combat in Prime, it will need to take a big step forwards. Strafing can't be the solution to almost every enemy. If they do keep the same combat they'll just need to make sure enemy designs are very creative in the way that you have to approach them, such as the Quadraxis.

I think there's a pretty tricky ballance between having enemies that are there just to shoot while also having them serve as exploration elements, and that will really shape how the combat should work.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
They should keep z-target first person Zelda combat. Such a unique concept, and it worked so well. Sure it can be improved, but the philosophy is sound: It's an adventure game. You desperately want to avoid turning this into an FPS, with cover mechanics or Doom-mechanics or whatever.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid combat desperately needs melee weapons or attacks. A few melee weapons would be neat and different as upgrades. Or at worst they can do the counter move from Samus Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.