• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wonder if this opens the floodgates for Tenet and others, they are probably going to wait and see how it does VOD first
My guess if this is successful is that the next big one will be Wonder Woman - and even that will still stick with the announced November release date. Similar audience, plus a lot of families will still be gathering for the holiday (regardless of whether they should or not) - making it an easy sell even at $30. Plus they've got toys pre-produced that need to sell for Christmas, and that can't happen if the movie still isn't out.

TENET could happen, but only after their 'select cities' theatrical US release in Sept.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess if this is successful is that the next big one will be Wonder Woman - and even that will still stick with the announced November release date. Similar audience, plus a lot of families will still be gathering for the holiday (regardless of whether they should or not) - making it an easy sell even at $30. Plus they've got toys pre-produced that need to sell for Christmas, and that can't happen if the movie still isn't out.
Well they have managed to sit on Black Widow for a few months. Dunno how many toys were gonna come out for that

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Have a feeling this is only the beginning based on how long it may be until theaters return to normal.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
If it was $20 I probably would've payed it but I'm just gonna wait a year when it is on Disney+ or Blu-ray now. $30 seems a bit much for a VOD rental for me.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well they have managed to sit on Black Widow for a few months. Dunno how many toys were gonna come out for that
Probably a few. I know merch was the main reason Trolls hit VOD - they had toys out in stores before theaters even closed, so the hands were tied.

I don't know how much Disney is counting on Black Widow toys & merch. Entirely possible they go the same way if they decide they need it out by a certain date. It's also possible if the film ties into the MCU D+ shows at all, they need it out before releasing those.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I pay 30 when it costs usually costs 10 to go see in theaters and 20 bucks on bluray?!
The theory is, more than one person on average will be watching it in the home. For a family of 4, $30 for a new theatrical movie is a bargain; even just two people would be saving money if they included the price of soda and snacks. And BluRay you wouldn't have access to for at least 6 months

Yeah, for a single person who likes to see movies alone it's a ripoff, but there you go, it's not targeted at you or me. My friend with a wife and two kids, OTOH...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Have a feeling this is only the beginning based on how long it may be until theaters return to normal.

We are still in the experimental phase, and with how long decisions get made by committees, I wouldn't expect this to be any sort of norm for all film studios. We will still see a variation of options, with some holding out, some jumping on streaming, or some going this route, but I expect a slow rollout, because I don't expect these decisions to be made quickly each time.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
29.99 is an average price or so for what we would spend to go see this in the theatre one time. So I get that, but part of the deal is we get the bigger screen, better sound, and distinct separate experience from just doing what we would normally be doing at home and all those have some non-zero value associated with them. So for this to break even for me the price would need to be lower than a theater visit.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Why would I pay 30 when it usually costs 10 to go see in theaters and 20 bucks on bluray?!

Explain how Disney is supposed to determine the number of people watching like they can by selling you individual tickets to individual seats in a movie theater? I doubt people would like a camera trained on them to count the number of people watching so they can be billed accordingly. Also, remember the $20 blu-ray is subsidized by the theatrical release too.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I get that the cinema doesn't suit some people. I can go see any film for £5 in a really nice cinema though, parking is free and we take in our own snacks. So even for the three of us, these offers aren't worth it even negating the fact it's not a cinema experience.

Also Disney plus should be giving me this anyway if not now then soon so ownership isn't worth much.

...where do you live and can I go see movies there??? :D Yeah I get where you are coming from, you have a suuuper nice set up comparatively to me here in Seattle

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No thanks but at least those who want it have the option. I'd pay at most $19.99 for any movie and that's to own. No way I'd do $30 plus Disney plus.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
We are still in the experimental phase, and with how long decisions get made by committees, I wouldn't expect this to be any sort of norm for all film studios. We will still see a variation of options, with some holding out, some jumping on streaming, or some going this route, but I expect a slow rollout, because I don't expect these decisions to be made quickly each time.
Definitely, with time some of these companies will get more risky and put out bigger tentpole films on VOD

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Even if it's just to rent for two days, that's not bad for someone with a dope setup.

You figure a group of 3 or 4 movie goers already eclipse that price. So why not split the cost and watch it at home, saving money (and having access to better food at the same time).

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently none of you have children and experienced the fun that was renting Trolls 2 and then having to buy it later because your children are obsessed

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
Fuck off with that garbage. That's 5 times what a ticket costs for me, so it's a big "nope." from me for something I was otherwise interested in.

Same, not way I'll pay $30 for a rental, when some months for now they'll surely still try a theatrical release, and a ticket in my case would just be $6.50. Even less if it released on a local auto cinema whefe tickets are just $3.50.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$29.99, with some of that paying the actress that shat on HK protesters? Nah, I'm good.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

The theaters only shut down in mid-March. Less than five months ago. For Hollywood, this is lightning-quick.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently none of you have children and experienced the fun that was renting Trolls 2 and then having to buy it later because your children are obsessed

I feel like this happened to a lot of us as kids. If you weren't re-renting a movie since you didn't own it (or were able to record it onto a blank VHS off tv), you would eventually just ask to buy it later on VHS, so you could watch it whenever. Buying VHSs weren't the cheapest then, either. At least, I only really got them on special occasions like birthdays and stuff.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't pay for Troll World Tour even though my kids loved Trolls when they did this ($20 or $30 or whatever) and won't do it for Mulan or anything else. Sorry there is plenty of content for me, my family, and my kids out there. We can wait until I can buy it or stream it at a reasonable/normal rental or purchase price.

(Now you can purchase Trolls World Tour at normal price and they can watch it 100 times. That alone is worth waiting a couple months rather than renting Day 1)

Oct 25, 2017
$30 is a bit steep initially but I share my D+ with my family so it isn't too bad. I'll save alot compared to going to the theaters as a family which tends to be with at least 3 people. It's only really a bad deal if you thinking of just one person. Even if it's a rental it's usually 24-48 hours which is enough time for someone else to watch it.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
If you think the price is outrageous then you probably shouldn't be campaigning for unreleased blockbusters to be put on VOD for rental. If you share an account you'll be able to move this thing around like crazy.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The theaters only shut down in mid-March. Less than five months ago. For Hollywood, this is lightning-quick.

Oh of course, but the decision making does not always come so quickly with agreements and all the fine details they need to go through to green-light these things. I'm still surprised with how quickly they accelerated Trolls' release! They REALLY wanted to roll it out ASAP.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Yeah, once again if you watch it by yourself, the price is too steep but if you watch with family, it's more than fair.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can understand that from your point of view. As a single person who has enjoyed the benefits of AMC A-List for over a year ($22/month) a $30 makes no sense for me, even if it was a Star Wars or James Bond film.

Yea I was really hoping for a family version of A-list because I really do like going to the theater

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So that probably means it's shit right? I mean, not as shit as Artemis Fowl, clearly, as they still feel they can ask money for it, but still not good enough to actually wait for a cinema release.

Also, $30 is crazy expensive for a VOD rental.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Yeah.... no. Mulan ain't worth that. I'd be kinda on the fence about doing this for Black Widow, but certainly not doing it for Mulan.

They're going to make it an option because there's no way theaters should be opening for a while.
Ten bucks if you can guess who just sent me an email saying they were opening theaters back up?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically, if Disney didnt have DIsney+, this might have gone over better. At $30, I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of people just wait until it comes on to D+.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
makes perfect sense. This was going to be a family movie where most folks at minimum would be bringing 3-5 people to the theaters. For those folks, this is a steal compared to the theater.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I thought the reason why movie theater tickets are expensive is because you get the movie going experience.
If I'm watching this at home it should cost as much as a blu-ray and I should get a physical copy...
What are these studios trying to pull?