• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
25509.jpg

Frankly, even if the characterization had inaccuracies, I wish Mueller's team would have just shut the fuck up. Comey fucked up by talking too much about and sharing too much about the Clinton e-mail investigation, which turned out to be nothing. Mueller remains absolutely tight lipped until now? Over this? Making me question just how competent he actually is and whether or not he has run an investigation that will result in anything meaningful aside from the convictions we've already seen.
this is the dumbest takeaway

Oct 25, 2017
This would be a rather large blunder if Buzzfeed got this part wrong.

Exactly. Even Ronan says he didn't go through with "parts" of it because of the sourcing on that part. Which tells me he was hearing similar things. The SC doesn't outright call the story false.

Or maybe the SC totally believes Trump was in the loop but they don't have smoking gun that Trump directed Cohen to lie. "like an email or a recorded message." And maybe this is what they are working towards when interviewing witnesses and the like.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They could well have felt the need to comment based solely on the size of the allegation. This would be the president committing a literal crime.

The fact they didn't comment initially is also interesting. Had they denied the reporting initially, it would have been a non-story. It probably wouldn't have even been published. Instead they waited a day. Why wait a day?
It takes time to word a statement like this.

The fact we got it less than 24 hours later is pretty remarkable in my book.

No, they didn't comment when they were blindsided by it (it is common to not confirm or deny when it comes to ongoing investigations).

It's a pretty fast response though, and one that is out of character for the SC.

All I'm really arguing here is that we should ignore the buzzfeed story until another large news org corroborates.

I respect BuzzFeed political reporting, but that doesn't mean they can't get it wrong.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Because the Dems were going to fuck things up . They were screaming at mueller to come out faster. Trump would have sacked mueller and said oh yeah democrats want to impeach me and want the report now so let's have what you have now . Oh it's incomplete ?! Too bad
But the allegations are explosive, they knew what was going to happen. We know sometimes the FBI or law enforcement tell reporters to shut up, why not now?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
25509.jpg

Frankly, even if the characterization had inaccuracies, I wish Mueller's team would have just shut the fuck up. Comey fucked up by talking too much about and sharing too much about the Clinton e-mail investigation, which turned out to be nothing. Mueller remains absolutely tight lipped until now? Over this? Making me question just how competent he actually is and whether or not he has run an investigation that will result in anything meaningful aside from the convictions we've already seen.
You can't actually be serious with this shit can you? BuzzFeeds possible mistake makes you question Mueller's competence?

What?

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say again, I'm not saying that Buzzfeed is wrong on this story. Hell, I hope it's completely accurate because that means Trump is finished.

However, it is extremely rare for the SC office to comment on anything and because of that we should wait to determine it's voracity.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Just a theory but what if Muellers team is working on corroborating Cohens statement and the FBI know about it and so Trump knows and the Trump team "leaks" things like this to play the media, keep talking about "fake news", and make it harder for Mueller to do his job.

Oct 25, 2017
Excatly everyone needs to just chill till the final report is done and released. I know y'all hate trump but his making y'all look dumb ass fuck shouting impeach.

I mean he should have been impeached when he allowed kids to be kept in camps, Or when he refused aid to PR. I don't see how wanting him impeached and gone make anyone look dumb as fuck.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
At least Republicans can't use the excuse that Mueller is doing a witch hunt when they're disputing this article

gamerman

Oct 27, 2017
That was an unexpected twist. Looks like people were getting excited for nothing and jumped the gun instead of waiting for corroboration. Buzz Feed has ruined its reputation and will never be trusted again. As usual, there is no "smocking" gun. The Mueller report is likely to be anti climatic. It's up to the American people to vote Donald Trump out.

Last edited:

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
potentially important note: this story was likely sourced from SDNY in the first place, which is notably at odds with Cohen while SCO's been trying to get and keep his cooperation

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like people were getting excited for nothing and jumped the gun instead of waiting for corroboration. Buzz Feed has ruined its reputation and will never be trusted again. As usual, there is no "smocking" gun. The Mueller report is likely to be anti climatic. It's up to the American people to vote Donald Trump out.

You don't know any of that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
25509.jpg

This is an awful, awful take.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Its funny, people are running around like a chicken with its head cut off but when has the Mueller investigation commented on the minutiea of a headline? It hit has hit rather fucking close which means there something there. Maybe not as exact as itnshould be in Muellers realm but close enough.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You can't actually be serious with this shit can you? BuzzFeeds possible mistake makes you question Mueller's competence?

What?

Yes, just like when Comey inluenced an election by loudly reopening a stupid investigation and openly questioning nothing. Now the special counsel is basically getting into a tit for tat with some journalists over what may just be minor inaccuracies, if anything, which will influence the public. The counsel should just be quiet, work, and release the report when it's ready.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was an unexpected twist. Looks like people were getting excited for nothing and jumped the gun instead of waiting for corroboration. Buzz Feed has ruined its reputation and will never be trusted again. As usual, there is no "smocking" gun. The Mueller report is likely to be anti climatic. It's up to the American people to vote Donald Trump out.
The use of "smocking" makes me think this is a parody post but I'm not sure

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for providing a textbook example of jumping the gun. And decent satire.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
potentially important note: this story was likely sourced from SDNY in the first place, which is notably at odds with Cohen while SCO's been trying to get and keep his cooperation

I did notice when I read the story that the Buzzfeed report claimed two law enforcement officials as sources and wondered if they got their info from SDNY rather than the SCO. Could explain some of what's happening here.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Please do not shame other members for their post count

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny, people are running around like a chicken with its head cut off but when has the Mueller investigation commented on the minutiea of a headline? It hit has hit rather fucking close which means there something there. Maybe not as exact as itnshould be in Muellers realm but close enough.
the situation is changed, with a Dem house impeachment proceedings can begin based on a headline.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I did notice when I read the story that the Buzzfeed report claimed two law enforcement officials as sources and wondered if they got their info from SDNY rather than the SCO. Could explain some of what's happening here.
yeah, and it kinda dovetails into how we should treating this whole thing now:

might be true, might not, might also just be the SCO telling SDNY to stand the hell down, so at this point we just wait for further corroboration from either actor (which in BF's case would likely necessitate burning SDNY sources and in SCO's case would likely flat-out necessitate the report being released)

anyone claiming it's still absolutely true is at best being naive, anyone claiming this means it's absolutely false is at best a bad actor

Last edited:

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean he should have been impeached when he allowed kids to be kept in camps, Or when he refused aid to PR. I don't see how wanting him impeached and gone make anyone look dumb as fuck.
I'm referring to this buzzfeed statement and mueller statement, buzzfeed information had everyone shouting impeach, since it was a very strong case of impeachment if it was true. Mueller came out and said it's inaccurate not stating its false but just not accurate. It makes the news Media look bad cause everyone was reporting it weather it was true or not now there's a dispute on the report.

Now trump and his supporters got more ammo on the media cause what they were reporting wasn't 100% true like some were claiming, not saying all the news media was doing it but some was pushing it like it was fact.

So yes, in trumps eyes he can make the people calling for impeachment look dumber to his supporters. Because his just going to spin this like his already doing calling the report false when mueller only stated there's inaccuracies instead of flat out false like trump is claiming

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
My problem with Mueller's statement is the term "not accurate", which in plain english could include anything being slightly technically wrong to entirely false.

It's unacceptable to be that vague in a public statement for a case that basically has to be decided by the public through their representatives.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus that's the most words Peter Carr has put together since the investigation began

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Really that distinction doesn't matter at this point. The fact they said anything at has completely turned the narrative and Trump and friends will take full advantage. Unless someone else corroborates that report the only truth that will remain is Teflon Don getting out of another one and Buzzfeed's reputation in ruins. Buzzfeed can only hope to get some solid proof/corroboration or pray Mueller's report vindicates them in the end.
While I agree, I don't think Mueller cares about whatever narrative takes place from here on out.

He wants to complete the investigation without being rushed or forced to reveal his hand too early.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could well have felt the need to comment based solely on the size of the allegation. This would be the president committing a literal crime.

The fact they didn't comment initially is also interesting. Had they denied the reporting initially, it would have been a non-story. It probably wouldn't have even been published. Instead they waited a day. Why wait a day?

It takes time to word a statement like this.

The fact we got it less than 24 hours later is pretty remarkable in my book.

No, they didn't comment when they were blindsided by it (it is common to not confirm or deny when it comes to ongoing investigations).

It's a pretty fast response though, and one that is out of character for the SC.

All I'm really arguing here is that we should ignore the buzzfeed story until another large news org corroborates.

I respect BuzzFeed political reporting, but that doesn't mean they can't get it wrong.

To add to it, not just writing the statement, but Buzzfeed's reporting was that their sources were "two federal law enforcement officials involved in an investigation of the matter." Which means that Mueller's team would have to try and track down the validity of the statement (find the leak) before commenting. Even if they didn't find evidence of a leak, the investigation would have taken a while. So yeah, 24h is really quick.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Possible reason Mueller team put out a statement is this report could directly jeopardize part of their investigation (saw this mentioned on Twitter). There are plenty of reasons they could have for releasing a statement for this story and not others. Maybe pressure from lawmakers to get details released for beginning the impeachment process caused them to release the statement as they're not ready to release details.

I think this is it basically. Didn't the House Intelligence Committee make a statement today that they would be investigating the claims from the Buzzfeed article?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, just like when Comey inluenced an election by loudly reopening a stupid investigation and openly questioning nothing. Now the special counsel is basically getting into a tit for tat with some journalists over what may just be minor inaccuracies, if anything, which will influence the public. The counsel should just be quiet, work, and release the report when it's ready.

This is a horrible take.

The reason the SC probably commented in the first place was because House Dems were talking about if any of this was true. Impeachment proceedings need to begin. He could potentially be signalling them to wait on his report.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You know what will happen right?

Media knows trump will use buzzfeed to attack media

So media will destroy buzzfeed and say they are shoddy and not serious in order to save the narrative that media is not the enemy

stew

Dec 2, 2017
This is a horrible take.

The reason the SC probably commented in the first place was because House Dems were talking about if any of this was true. Impeachment proceedings need to begin. He could potentially be signalling them to wait on his report.

I think she nailed it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is a horrible take.

Maybe. Meanwhile, right this minute, Sean Hannity is calling the story "a dud". It's being debated on MSNBC if it's true. This is peppering the opinion of independents. And opinion is important on whether or not Senate Republicans will feel confident with letting Trump off the hook if impeachment proceedings begin and inevitably pass the House (which I assume they would).

Terrible idea for the counsel to speak on the story. They should have let the actual report and any followup Congressional analysis and questioning do the talking. Now no matter what happens the waters have been muddied. Ugh.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is a horrible take.

Yeah I could absolutely see this being the case. The SC has been leak-free so far and I'm sure they want to be seen as staying that way.

Maybe. Meanwhile, right this minute, Sean Hannity is calling the story "a dud". It's being debated on MSNBC if it's true. This is peppering the opinion of independents. And opinion is important on whether or not Senate Republicans will feel confident with letting Trump off the hook if impeachment proceedings begin and inevitably pass the House (which I assume they would).

Terrible idea for the counsel to speak on the story. They should have let the actual report and any followup Congressional analysis and questioning do the talking. Now no matter what happens the waters have been muddied. Ugh.
This will matter exactly 0% if the report comes out and verifies that the Buzzfeed story was true. Narratives can change any moment.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
This is a horrible take.

Exactly.

Like I said in the now closed thread, Mueller must be pissed.

Oct 25, 2017

People were debating it's truthfulness since it dropped. Hannity and all right wingers were always going to skeptical of this. Why are you worrying about what Trumpers think?

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
You know what will happen right?

Media knows trump will use buzzfeed to attack media

So media will destroy buzzfeed and say they are shoddy and not serious in order to save the narrative that media is not the enemy
It will be up to the American people to judge the media but most already hate it, trump will just use this as gasoline. Smart ones will understand the situation but most will just say fake news. Can't trust half the population when they voted for the idiot

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once more with feeling:

1. The special counsel did not refute the story. It refuted a specific and undefined characterization within the story.
2. The special counsel can only refute matters of fact or evidence within its purview. It cannot refute confirmation or corroboration it does not have (an unsubpoenaed whitehouse insider for example.)
3. As weird as this whole thing looks, the Special Counsel's statement does more to confirm the underlying basis of the story than any other reporting or facts.
4. Buzzfeed, or any other news organization, does not have to adhere to the same standards of evidence as the special counsel and is getting firm legal advice from experts.
5. The prior four items are statements of fact and until they are clearly refuted, they stand. And trust me I'll be the first to jump in and retract in plain language if or when that happens and I will even apologize for being wrong. But until then, that's what just happened. Not a lens or a view or a characterization.

6. I'm embarassed to type this, but REALLY? You're going to sit quietly while 600 real stories, confessions, imprisonments and felonies are happening uncontested and then go after one word in a statement that nakedly confirms and highlights another likely Trump disaster?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
While I agree, I don't think Mueller cares about whatever narrative takes place from here on out.

He wants to complete the investigation without being rushed or forced to reveal his hand too early.
Which is incredibly troubling if that's the case.

How the hell else does it end if not politically? We're just going to let the intelligence agencies indict whatever president they want despite a history of abuse from those agencies, and let the lifetime justice appointments of an increasingly radicle and partisan court decide the fate of the presidency?

And if it's going to end politically, then the narrative better enter the equation. Not in a biased way, but in a way that doesn't let biased entities easily mislead the public with your statements.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
When I heard BuzzFeed was behind this story earlier today, I instantly doubted it. The track record they have is spotty at best. Will wait for actual facts to be provided before I entertain any more thoughts about this. At this point, it's all mental masturbation.