• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.newsweek.com

Mu COVID variant that may resist vaccines found in 49 U.S. states

Officials are keeping a close eye on the variant but it only accounts for less than 1 percent of all U.S. cases.
Nebraska is the only state in the United States to have not detected a case of the Mu variant of COVID-19, which may render vaccines less effective.

Since being first identified in Colombia in January, the Mu variant has spread to 41 countries, including the United States. Most prevalent in Hawaii and Alaska, the variant accounts for less than one percent of cases in the U.S., but its potential to be more transmissible or resist vaccines and natural immunity have health officials keeping tabs on the mutation.

At least one case of the Mu variant has been detected in the District of Columbia and every state in the U.S. aside from Nebraska, according to Outbreak.info, a website that provides open source data on COVID-19 variants.

California has reported the highest number of Mu variant samples, at 384 cases, but that only accounts for 0.2 percent of the total samples sequenced in the state. As of Friday, Los Angeles County had identified 167 Mu variant cases, according to the Department of Public Health. The cases were found in samples sequenced between June 19 and August 21, with the bulk of the cases being found in July.
The World Health Organization labeled Mu a variant of interest on August 30 because its characteristics could make it more transmissible or resistant to vaccines. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has yet to make the same classification.

On Thursday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said officials were keeping a "close eye" on the Mu variant. Although it's been found in the United States, Fauci noted that it's "not at all even close" to being the dominant variant in the U.S. That distinction resides with the Delta variant, which accounts for more than 99 percent of cases.

"Even though it has not in essence taken hold to any extent here we always pay attention to at all times variants," Fauci said, acknowledging that laboratory data suggests it could resist monoclonal antibodies and the vaccine. "We don't consider it an immediate threat right now."
Thankfully it only accounts for a very small number of cases. Hate to say this but hopefully the other variants outcompete it. We don't need a vaccine resistant variant right now.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
As I said in the other thread
1. How resistant is it? Resistant doesn't mean it ignores vaccination
2. What is the number of those vaccinated that develop severe disease or need hospitalization. Will I have a rough week or two or full blown COVID?

Oct 27, 2017
As I've said before, Newsweek is not a reliable source of anything. They haven't even used fact checkers since the 1990s, and it only got worse once the print magazine went and they were bought out.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
How would the Delta variant be out competing Mu if Mu doesn't respond to vaccines or previous covid infections?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GISAID data all these articles are based on shows Mu cases at various points in the past in all 49 states, but none since August

GISAID - hCov19 Variants

of course, the data is incomplete anyway but that's probably all the more reason to stop using it as evidence of some serious nationwide spread

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
How would the Delta variant be out competing Mu if Mu doesn't respond to vaccines or previous covid infections?
I remember reading something about that the vaccine targets the spike that makes covid so effective. They were hoping that mutations that got around that therefore wouldn't be as effective in spreading or something like that.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

Actually not a bad question...
I would assume though that Delta is simply more transmissible and keeps finding enough easy hosts for now. But you're not wrong technically. If Mu were able to easily tap into a whole vaxxed population/recovered population, one might think it would give it that edge it needs to outcompete Delta. Still way too much we don't know here.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
The GISAID data all these articles are based on shows Mu cases at various points in the past in all 49 states, but none since August

GISAID - hCov19 Variants

of course, the data is incomplete anyway but that's probably all the more reason to stop using it as evidence of some serious nationwide spread

My money is that between delta taking over through the summer and vaccine (and now/soon booster shots) Mu can't get a foot hold because it can't out compete delta.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ordinarily I wouldn't worry about variants, but if Fauci says it's nothing to worry about then it's probably gonna fuck us up

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Locked per OP's request. Also we really don't need to start fearmongering about future variants just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.